Possible Bible Study Group on Skype

Projects or project ideas in the works

Possible Bible Study Group on Skype

Postby Peanut » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:13 am

Not sure if this really...fits in this forum, but what the heck. I won't promise anything but for a while I have been considering starting a Bible Study on Skype that would be open to everyone on CAA (who has Skype of course). It would likely meet once a week, starting sometime after I return from Israel. Right now, I only want to see if there would be interest in such a thing if it was created. So, that's why I'm mentioning it here. If you would be interested in participating in something like that, just post in here so I can figure out if it would be worthwhile to try and do.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 am

I'm open to trying it. Maybe a short study to see if we can keep it up at first and maintain interest.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:03 am

Sounds interesting ^^

You have us lovely people folk who can help give you a go for test runs if you'd like ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Reon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:13 am

*thumbs up*

Skype + mebeam.com = video conference.
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby Dante » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:22 pm

I'll jump on with Closet Otaku, I've read the whole thing through and wouldn't be interested in just trying to blast through it again, but to focus on one particular segment of the Bible might particularly be good. That is to say, to learn it from the point of focussing on certain areas to gain a real good grasp on Job, or the four Gospels or perhaps the early church. There are really a lot of themes that could maybe take up a small semester or so.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't have a microphone, but I'm interested as well.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Peanut » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:40 am

Pascal (post: 1387067) wrote:I'll jump on with Closet Otaku, I've read the whole thing through and wouldn't be interested in just trying to blast through it again, but to focus on one particular segment of the Bible might particularly be good. That is to say, to learn it from the point of focussing on certain areas to gain a real good grasp on Job, or the four Gospels or perhaps the early church. There are really a lot of themes that could maybe take up a small semester or so.

We would only be focusing on one book Pascal. Even then, though, there would be a lot to talk about.

Peanut

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:07 pm

This sounds like a cool idea. Skype is free, right? If so, I may consider jumping on, too!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby goldenspines » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Wow, it seems like you have a lot of interest already. But, I'd love to hop aboard if you have the room.
goldenspines

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:16 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1387270) wrote:This sounds like a cool idea. Skype is free, right? If so, I may consider jumping on, too!

Yes it is ^^

Computer to computer calls are free. While computer to phone (landlines or mobile) cost some money, but not too much.. I don't think ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1387275) wrote:Yes it is ^^

Computer to computer calls are free. While computer to phone (landlines or mobile) cost some money, but not too much.. I don't think ^^

So, if like, we're all voice chatting through the computer only, it is free?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Yeah, it would be free.

I'd probably be interested as well, although I don't know much about the Bible right now.
Ante Bellum

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 am

I would be interested in this as well. It's a good idea.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that someone needs to come in here and say that any Bible study that occurred would not be officially sponsored by CAA nor reflective of our policies. But there have been studies before and I think that's a healthy extension of the board, so long as no one drags theological differences back here.

That having been said, I have a bit more time than I did in the past. Depending on the time of day and book in question I could be interested.
uc pseudonym

Postby RefractedAhav » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:31 pm

sounds cool. Maybe u could record sessions and put them on a sight that requires user login so that a member that couldn't make a particular night can still benefit from the material coverd.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Alcuinus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm

I'd be interested... if I can get skype to even work :P
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby bkilbour » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:20 pm

hm... but when is everyone available?
I'm open on the weekends, usually at night.
The weekdays are a tumultuous storm of work and exercise, so I would suggest Friday Nights, 8;30 P.M. eastern standard time.
That work for everyone?
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby KagayakiWashi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm interested! Would this be taking sections of the Bible and going through them, or through a Christian living book (like Francis Chan or John Piper)?
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Peanut » Thu May 13, 2010 9:37 pm

All right, so here's the deal. I still really want to try and do this, however, with my first week at my internship done, I realize that I will not be able to really lead it in the way I was thinking. I'm basically working a 40 hour week and have no free time outside of Thursday-Saturday and, frankly, I don't want to use those days to study a passage as thorough as I would want to.

What I'm basically trying to tell all of you is that I am looking for someone with some general exegesis/bible study training and knowledge to take over the teaching/leading aspect. I can still set up the chat, either initiate the call or get some one else to do it, do some other organizational things and, of course, participate. If you think you can do it and you're interested, just mention it in this thread and I'll send a pm to you to try and set up a time that I can talk to you on Skype.

Yes, I will be interviewing you. Why?

1). I want to make sure you have a working mic

2). There is a certain way I want this bible study done and I want to make sure that it won't change into something that it was never intended to be.

3). I need to make sure that you will be invested in this and that you won't just suddenly disappear without at least mentioning it to me. I realize that stuff does happen but I think you can understand how much it would suck if everyone but the person supposed to be leading the thing didn't show up at all...with out warning...

4). I want to know if you do know what you are doing. You don't have to be biblical scholar to run this but I would like to know that you at least know your way around the Bible.

Peanut

Postby Midknight74012 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Here's a thought. I just got done with a book called The Case for Christ. There is a study guide available, which I don't have, that I could PM to everyone by doing a labor of love and typing it down. That way, everyone gets a chance to read and study it if they can but if they don't have a book, they can listen and comment on it. I have literally nothing going on right now but hopefully I'll be having a job soon at a Taco Bell (Note to self, post in Prayer thread) and they close at 10 PM Eastern Time and for you California folks, which is a good lot of you, it'll be 7 and enjoying dinner while I won't be able to stand mexican for a while. I myself have never done a study group but I have been to many and observed how they did it.

Edit:
Hey, looky what I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMKOUzYeZ6A
It's the entire video on Lee Strobel's Case For Christ. I get a study guide, copy it down, typing or scanner, PM it to the multiple that are participating, and off we go.
Psalms 82:3-4
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Midknight74012

Postby Peanut » Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I appreciate your suggestion (and the fact that you were the only one to post anything in this thread...) I'm going to have to shoot down this idea...kind of. My goal was to make reading scripture central to this study group however, this has given me an idea which I will be posting soon...ish. Unless, of course, someone else shows interest.

Peanut

Postby Midknight74012 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:04 pm

If reading is central, might I suggest that each person give their own interpretation of the scripture? I'm not a talkative person but I do listen and determine for myself what is right or wrong. But that's just me. Everyone has different experiences, voicing them in one area greatly increases wisdom in that particular field.

Edit:
With that in mind, here you go:
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Midknight74012

Postby Peanut » Sat May 22, 2010 8:01 pm

That's actually what I was thinking.

Peanut

Postby Midknight74012 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Alright, with that in mind, do you want verses that talk about a particular subject? Finance, family, witnessing, pressure, Spiritual Gifts, servant leadership, trusting God through what seems like impossible situations. See where I'm going with this?
Midknight74012

Postby Kit_Icy_Cloud » Wed May 26, 2010 7:41 pm

I would love to be involved, but right now in a financial change so maybe when i get a computer of my own. It sounds fun!
[color="Magenta"]"You know why big brothers are born first? To protect the little ones that come after them." - Ichigo (Bleach)

"Don't tell me he wants to conquer the world? Can't he come up with something more original?" - Lina Inverse (Slayers)

[/color]
Kit_Icy_Cloud

Postby Peanut » Wed May 26, 2010 7:46 pm

Kit_Icy_Cloud (post: 1396854) wrote:I would love to be involved, but right now in a financial change so maybe when i get a computer of my own. It sounds fun!

Whenever you get a computer of your own, here's the thread that has all the information that you (and anyone else interested) will need for this).

Peanut

Postby Bolam » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:41 am

Hi All,

Have you begun this Skype bible study group yet? I'm very interested in joining it. I like the idea you have for it's purpose. Please let me know ASAP. I'm living some where where it's very difficult to have a bible study group, so I'd like to join one on Skype very soon.
Bolam

Return to New Projects and Ideas