Fantasy Soft Entertainment® LLC

Projects or project ideas in the works

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:29 am

I apologize if I've come off as hostile, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was slightly skeptical. Meh, I'll leave it alone. If it is God's will, I wish you great success; if it is not, I hope your true course becomes clear soon enough. In either case, go in peace.
Fish and Chips

Postby Prince Nai » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:30 am

Prince Nai wrote:it is but he can still ask to do his will, like King Solomon :cool:

Thanks and plz be our #1 fan lol let God reign!
Prince Nai

Postby Mave » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:04 am

Erm, with due respect, may I suggest to get on with the actual production and allow the discussion to pick up from there? I understand where you're coming from, MSP and Fish&Chips. I have my reservations as well and am skeptical of the Christian industry as a whole.

Nonetheless, we can still encourage each other and let God's will be done. If God wishes for us to dominant the industry, so be it as He will provide the means for it. If God doesn't provide us the means for that, so be it as well. He already knows that He will be rejected by many among mankind. You have to be open to anything, even if it goes against your expectations. God's will, not ours, as we all have agreed.

God's Glory is not measured by how well we do in the entertainment industry or how well we are received by the world. But whatever you do, I solemnly urge us to be very careful not to misrepresent or shame Him in such efforts to penetrate the industry.

With that said, any work for God requires sacrifice and hard labor. Many Christians fail to walk the talk. Just like any other fellow Christian creator of arts, I wish you His wisdom and direction in your projects.
Mave

Postby Prince Nai » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:29 am

Mave wrote:Erm, with due respect, may I suggest to get on with the actual production and allow the discussion to pick up from there? I understand where you're coming from, MSP and Fish&Chips. I have my reservations as well and am skeptical of the Christian industry as a whole.

Nonetheless, we can still encourage each other and let God's will be done. If God wishes for us to dominant the industry, so be it as He will provide the means for it. If God doesn't provide us the means for that, so be it as well. He already knows that He will be rejected by many among mankind. You have to be open to anything, even if it goes against your expectations. God's will, not ours, as we all have agreed.

God's Glory is not measured by how well we do in the entertainment industry or how well we are received by the world. But whatever you do, I solemnly urge us to be very careful not to misrepresent or shame Him in such efforts to penetrate the industry.

With that said, any work for God requires sacrifice and hard labor. Many Christians fail to walk the talk. Just like any other fellow Christian creator of arts, I wish you His wisdom and direction in your projects.

Thanks! :cool:
Prince Nai

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:59 am

I wish to have a final say.

My point is, unless our whole country suddenly stops between anti-God and accepts Christ, I can't see a Christian Entertainment company suddenly beat any other entertainment company, especially when things like sex, violence, and other themes sell more than Christian-related themes; especially when a good number of Christian entertainment isn't on-par with their "non-Christian" counterparts (like published manga).

If it is God's will, it will happen. I personally don't think it will happen, but if it does, that's a good thing. Prince Nai, your endeavors are truly admirable, and I wish you the best of luck. But I cannot support somebody who has a goal that -- at the moment -- seemingly unrealistic in either the short run or the long run.

Edit: Meh, I basically repeated everything that was just said. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:40 pm

The five threads have been merged, so the first page reads a bit oddly. Please reserve new threads for significantly different topics.

Everyone: the discussion seems to have wound down, and if so that's fine. For anyone seeking to wind in the opposite direction, first consider if what you have to say is really that critical.

Prince Nai: CAA is an online forum and our members may be interested in developments such as those you have shared. However, CAA is not a billboard for advertising. Just try to remain conscious of the difference.

ChristianKitsune wrote:My goodness, if everyone had your attitude there wouldn't be ANY Christian Manga in the works...

Taking off the moderator hat here, let me say "Not necessarily." There are individuals (myself included) who may be cynical/realistic about the industry but are still doing our best to produce entertainment that glorifies God. Please don't assume that not being wildly positive is synonymous with lacking faith.
uc pseudonym

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:32 am

Taking off the moderator hat here, let me say "Not necessarily." There are individuals (myself included) who may be cynical/realistic about the industry but are still doing our best to produce entertainment that glorifies God. Please don't assume that not being wildly positive is synonymous with lacking faith.

My aplologies, UC, I meant no offence. But still there must be some reason that you write your works? That in itself is rather positive. I am not saying that I think Christian Anime will suddenly blow into this great and awesome industry, that IS unrealistic, it will merge into it's own niche area just like Christian Music and literature will.

I am by nature a positive person ^^; It seemed weird that other people who work on their projects arent positive. That's all I meant... sorry
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Fantasy Soft Entertainment® LLC Presents: 2 New PA™ Character

Postby Prince Nai » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:07 pm

Hope you like!

Prince Nai

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:08 pm

XD Why are they all nearly shirtless?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:07 pm

ChristianKitsune wrote:I am by nature a positive person ^^; It seemed weird that other people who work on their projects arent positive. That's all I meant... sorry

I take it as a bit of realism... there are tens of thousands of anything out there. The odds of rising to the top are... less than favorable in factors of ten, even without the limitations of additional labels.

I create because I want the charachters and the story to BE somewhere outside of my mind, not because I want to create some world changing thing. I doubt many major creators created their first creation planning to become a mega superstar in that field, and most were shot down many, many, many times before they got anything to see the light of day, let alone something successful. Its just the reality of professional creation.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Prince Nai » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:55 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:XD Why are they all nearly shirtless?

Gave them the Egyptian feel.

And your about to find out that there is nothing impossible for God.
Prince Nai

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:44 pm

God can do anything, but that doesn't mean that he does.
Fish and Chips

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 pm

So far no one has mentioned the bit about "Orion". It's hard to believe this is a mere coincidental similarity to RebelPlanet's long-awaited Christian RPG. What's going on here?
Godly Paladin

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm in agreement with what Mave, and others before and after her, said.

I wish your company well in your endeavors and pray that you stay true to you calling and motives. The art is definitely great and with the right vision and hard work you guys will get somewhere. However, remember to back up your prayers with actual work--I don't believe God gives freebies all the time. ^^

Then something I've been dying to ask since forever... are all the registration and trademark notations necessary? XD I know this is the internet and all, but that does seem a bit aggressive as means to protect your copyright names.

And then that brings up another question... did you guys actually legally register/trademark those names? If so, then I can understand why you put up that prayer request for an X-box and such--that much legal trademarking would empty out any startup pocket. XD No offense, I'm just curious. (One trademark of a trade name would go around $200-$500 to register, and you guys got... O_o)
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby firestorm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:44 am

I love your art, but I don't get the egyptian feel. Did you do researh on it? I find research very helpful if I want to get the feel of something. Please don't get mad or anything but this is just me trying to help. Also, I want to know where you got the name cause it reminds me of squaresoft. Don't want them hounding you for the names under their copyrights ya know?

Finally....

Prince Nai wrote:
[color=white wrote:Mr. SmartyPants][/color]
XD Why are they all nearly shirtless?

Gave them the Egyptian feel.

While that true and cool, you also don't want people to fall into lust or anything (trust me I know people who would.) you need to strike a balance is what I think you need to get at. Like it's cool to make them look like that, but you don't want to be the cause of someone sinning either.

mark 9:42
"And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck.

I still like the art though. ^_^
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Saint Kevin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 pm

I've worked in software QA for about a year in the Interactive Entertainment (aka video game) industry. During my time there, I've developed a great respect for those who are successful software developers. It isn't easy to develop software that sells enough copies to pay for the salaries of those involved in its production and marketing. It's even more challenging to go beyond "breaking even" to where you make enough money to fund future projects.

I've worked on the projects of many different developers during my time, with a resume including about 15-20 titles, a slew of developers, and nearly every current-gen and next-gen console, including Xbox, PS2, 360, Nintendo DS, Wii, and PSP.

I can tell you that console development is not cheap, and almost no one gets their start by developing a title that will reach the shelves at Best Buy or Game Stop. More than likely, a developer starts making a small title with flash that can be played as shareware and then downloaded as a full version for $9.95. Startups can also succeed in developing for Xbox Live Arcade, or Wiiware (the Nintendo analog to XBLA) where users can demo a game and then download it for $5-$10. Other developers have gotten their start in the mod community, where they gain invaluable practice modifying and creating new content for an existing game engine. With enough practice creating mods (and enough money to license a solid gaming engine) it is also possible to create successful games this way.

People who have expressed skepticism in this thread are justified in doing so, and do so NOT because they want you to fail, but because they know how difficult success is in this industry, and how long it really can take to gain the experience, industry contacts, skilled employees, and capital required to succeed.

With that in mind, I wonder if I could ask you a few business-related questions in regard to your company, to gauge where you are, and perhaps give you advice that might help you take the next step on your way.

1) Are you a company in a legal sense? Have you registered your company name with the appropriate authorities (e.g. the US Patent and Trademark Office - uspto.gov - for trademarks, etc.)?

2) Do you have any capital to invest in your company? If not, can you raise capital or do you know qualified people willing to work for free?

3) How many people are there in your company? How many are you going to need (considering programming, art and music asset design, marketing, accounting, sales, and legal advice)?

4) Are you experienced enough to enter a venture like this, or do you need to gain more yourself (or others more experienced than yourself) before you can really make games that make money?

If you are unsure of the answers to these questions, that is ok, but they are very important questions that NEED to be answered before you are ready to make games for a living (or make movies, for that matter). These are bigger-picture questions that deal with your company's over objectives, mission, and vision, but there are a slew of smaller-picture questions that also need to be answered.

On a smaller scale (meaning on the scale of just one project), you are going to have to ask yourself other questions:

1) How big of a game do I want to make (how long to complete, how much art and animation is necessary, how much sound effects/music/VO, how long will I test it before release, etc.)?

2) What genre of game am I making, and to which segment of the gaming population will it appeal? (be careful in appealling to a niche-of-a-niche, such as fans of first person shooters that also happen to like Hello Kitty).

3) How much (realistically) time and money and people and experience will this ONE project cost to make?

and

4) Can I amass all of the assets neccessary to finish this project and finish it well enough to sell enough copies to cover all my expenses?

If you get all of the previous questions answered, but your answer to the above question is 'No', you are probably better off doing a project for fun and experience (and not necessarily profit). Until you are ready to make something for profit, don't call yourself a company. Call yourself a club, studio, or community, but not a company. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with start very small, being honest with others in saying that you cannot pay them, and telling everyone concerned that you are doing something for the experience rather than to succeed as a developer. I advise you to start there, and see where it takes you.

If you are really serious about spending your life in large, collaborative, creative endeavors, remember this - ALWAYS count the cost of a project before starting.
Jesus advised a man (and by extension - all of us) to count the cost of being his disciple in the book of Luke. Likewise, we ought to count the cost of any long-term project we might undertake.

I look forward to learning where you are along the process of becoming a game developer. I am a part of a group in my city that aims to do just exactly that, people with a lot of talent, and a lot of industry experience between them. Still, developing games is one of the toughest ways to make a living. It is an endeavor that will take a lot of grace from God, and a ton of hard work in order to do successfully.

Feel free to PM me anytime, and to ask any questions you may have in this thread.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Previous

Return to New Projects and Ideas