A CAA Anime

Projects or project ideas in the works

A CAA Anime

Postby crossalchemist » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has ever thought of making a christian themed anime? A friend and I make short films and we have been thinking of maybe trying to make a cartoon. We have always run into the problem though of that we can't draw. No artistic ability from me, all I can do is write, and none from him, but he is very technically skilled. If we could get someone to do the art I think that we could actually make a short anime film. I don't know how long it would actually be, probably just a couple of minutes, but I thought that sort thing would be cool. Is there anyone else here who has thought of that sort of thing for the CAA?
formerly known as linwood

"The power of Christ forgives you!"
-Brett (a friend from college, parodying the famous line from 'The Exorcist'.)

My new homepage!

My Infamously Semi-Famous Story Blog:
The Sheehy Brothers Adventures!

Dr. Bryan Enderle, Chemistry lecturer at the University of California at Davis gives an excellent talk on Science vs. Faith once in a great while. I tried to record it once, with very limited success, this link is what I have.
Science vs. Faith
crossalchemist

Location: Somewhere far far away, where they'll never find me.

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:01 am

I don't know about any anime, but I know there are a few manga started by a few of our members. Like Mave's Kingdom Come and Psycho Ann's Psychoteers. And UC is working on The Fall, if I'm not mistaken.

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:09 am

Actually I have scripted 2 shorts (well, ok, technically they were AMVs) from Christian songs with original artwork in mind...but the girl who was going to help me (Nekomi) hasn't got in touch with me for months, so I doubt she's interesting in the project anymore. I would love to see something like this get off the ground and I'm willing to lend my services if we can get some kind of team assembled.

I figure if one man can make 30 minutes all by himself (voices of a distant star) we can definately make something as a team, right?
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:32 pm

linwood wrote:I was wondering if anyone here has ever thought of making a christian themed anime?

I would imagine the vast majority of us have.

The sort of thing you are talking about, however, is far more workable given our resources. I think in this case if you work with Ashley you won't need any of the help I can provide, but if that statement ever becomes untrue I would be happy to assist.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:25 pm

I've thought about it and tried to pull off something like what Ash described (something like a music video). My problem is the complete opposite of yours. I can draw but I don't know the technical part of putting a video together, what more add audio to it. I originally wanted to get familiar with Macromedia Flash but let's just say, it proved way more difficult than Photoshop for me due to my lack of education in the animation/video filming (?) field (I have never even used a PhotoCam before >_<; ) and my limited computer capabilities.

This is probably the best time and place to ask (I think I've been asking this question around for a while now but never really got good useful responses on it):

How are the graphics actually done? Are the graphics in 'cells' where you place ~ 25 (?) art cells per second or is there some simpler and better way which I do not know of?

Perhaps if you could entail exactly what an artist needs to do and how much work is estimated to be involved, I might consider such an endeavor and attempt to wrangle the support of other artists here in CAA as well....rather than we all forcing ourselves to master our weaknesses instead of exploiting our strengths.
Mave

Postby inkhana » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:34 pm

I have this idea...

In fact, I'm gonna use it for a Christmas e-card next year, if it comes together. We'll see...:) But it does involve some animation (though it won't be completely animated...heh heh, I'd stink at that)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:40 pm

From what I understand, there are 2 ways to go about this:

A-- A rendering program (like...shoot I know there's a freeware one Shinja showed me but I can't remember what it is), sorta like how Pixar does their films. Or those animated shorts you can see on "Eye Drops" on TechTV

B--Something akin to what Nekomi and I were doing. That is, traditional animation with cels and all, scanned and colored and arranged into photoshop. Photoshop can use ImageReady to create gifs using layers as frames. Adobe Illustrator is actually quite good at making flash animations using each layer as a frame. That's how I made this, my final animation project for my digital graphics class (sorry it's big and a little choppy) I know a LITTLE about the technical side of animation, but not enough to do it on my own.

If we went about this as a team, we could break it up into units: scriptors, timers, character sketchers, animators, color'ers, etc. That should make it a little easier to capitalize on our individual strengths.
Ashley

Postby Mave » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:13 pm

If I were to contribute to this, it's most likely that I'm only useful with option B, assuming it involves making 2D animated cells (i.e outlines and coloring).

I have a hard time imagining how 'gifs are made by rendering layers as frames' <--- @_@; Sorry Ash, that's Greek to me! BUT on a more positive note, I'm more than willing to learn how to do it (always wanted know how to pull of that gif thingy anyway) and can make the animated cells. It may be tedious but I'm used to getting the job done.

So how serious are you guys about this one or Ash, the project you were working on with Nekomi?
Mave

Postby crossalchemist » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:13 pm

Cool beans! I'll talk to my friend (he's been experimenting with some animation programs for the past month or two). I'm sure he'd love to do it. Once we get figured out everything that needs to be done, we can start figuring out who can do 'em! This has the potential to be really cool. I have Jasc GIF Animator but I think it would be neat to have an actual anime like as a video file. By-the-by, nice flash animation Ashley, I wish I was as tech savy as you and my friend.

My new homepage!

Dr. Bryan Enderle, Chemistry lecturer at the University of California at Davis gives an excellent talk on Science vs. Faith once in a great while. I tried to record it once, with very limited success, this link is what I have.
Science vs. Faith
crossalchemist

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:37 pm

I have a hard time imagining how 'gifs are made by rendering layers as frames' <--- @_@; Sorry Ash, that's Greek to me!

Ok, quick flash frames 101 lesson: You know what a "frame" is right? It's the equivalent of a "cell" in 2D animation. Or those flip-books you made in junior high, where when you flipped the pages a little stick figure would jump or something? Each page is considered a "frame"--it's one little segment of a character's movement. It's what makes a character move, and the more frames the smoother the animation is.

The way I learned how to do it (and there may be a better/easier one) is to create a base layer--the base layer has the settings/backgrounds and the first appearance of the characters. I would then duplicate the layer, move the characters slightly, and then duplicate THAT layer, make adjustments, etc. Thus instead of drawing each frame individually, all I did was duplicate what I already drew and manipulate it a bit. Was that a better explanation, Mave? Sure hope so. >.<

So how serious are you guys about this one or Ash, the project you were working on with Nekomi?

Well, I think I can seriously consider transferring the project I was doing with Nekomi to another team--she's married now and quite involved in her own projects--I highly doubt she would mind if another team took it up. I hate to sound demeaning, but all she did was some concept sketches, so it's not like we'd be losing hours of animation by doing so. Like I said, she did do a LOT of work on it, I don't want to sound bitter or anything, but it wouldn't be a problem to work with another team on it. The second script I wrote hasn't been worked on yet at all.

As for me, I'm really serious about this and ready to pour in some long hours/months of work to pull it off. So you can count me in either with a new project or trying to accomplish the ones I've already written. I work a part time job, and I'm a full time college student but next semester looks like it won't be nearly as grueling as this one so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Ashley

Postby Mave » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:07 pm

Yes, thanks for the explanation Ash! One more question, how many frames do you think is necessary per second for a smooth flow of movement (let's say someone walking)?

Like I've said earlier, this is a project I would consider putting in some serious contribution towards since I've always been interested in anime styled animation. Perhaps we should experiment with something short first just to test our current resources...

It doesn't have to have a Christian theme or story plot yet. I want to know whether we can even pull off a 30 sec animated file before discussing the possibilities of an actual 'anime.' I've always preferred starting somewhere small before gradually building upon it.
Mave

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:28 am

A CAA Anime:

Scene: a ramen shop in Tokyo.

Ashley, drawn with plaid hair, says to the ramen shop guy, "I've been thinking about starting a web site for Christian anime fans."

The ramen shop guy looks at her, and says, "do such people really exist?"

Ashley looks at him and says, "well, we'll find out."

*begin opening sequence*

(oh, I I believe it's 30 frames/sec even in animation)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:12 am

Yes, thanks for the explanation Ash! One more question, how many frames do you think is necessary per second for a smooth flow of movement (let's say someone walking)?

I talked to my cousin, who has done a lot of online animation, and he said the standard rate is 12 frames per second.

Like I've said earlier, this is a project I would consider putting in some serious contribution towards since I've always been interested in anime styled animation. Perhaps we should experiment with something short first just to test our current resources...

It doesn't have to have a Christian theme or story plot yet. I want to know whether we can even pull off a 30 sec animated file before discussing the possibilities of an actual 'anime.' I've always preferred starting somewhere small before gradually building upon it.

I think that's a great idea. Do a screen test to get a feel for how things will work, backgrounds, lighting, movement, dialogue, etc. Also, if we want to add voices, most of the staff and I have mics, so I'm sure I could get someone to lend their talent for a screen test.

One last thing, my cousin has Macromedia Flash and I'm gonna try to learn from him; just FYI as a possible resource. What programs would you be planning on using, Mave?
Ashley

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:29 am

Well, I can't draw that well (or anime for that matter) but I'm not bad with developing stories (my short stories tend to sometime go towards novel length if you know what I mean) and I'll be glad to help. I'm good with concocting allegories as well if you need them, but don't expect me to write dialogue since I'm terrible with that. :sweat:

But also there are many other writers around here who are better than I am and you'll just have to go to the "Writing" forums to find out who they are. But remember - Anime isn't scripted they are storyboarded and it builds from there. To hear how Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky) does this, I suggest you read this interview:

Midnight Eye Interview with Miyazaki

(it also helps if you've seen "Spirited Away" :grin: )
bigsleepj

Postby Mave » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:44 am

12 frames/sec..............*__*

Alright, I think I'll start off with a small experiment and attempt to put some frames together. No sounds, no voices...just an attempt to get smooth movement.

I would be planning to use Macromedia Flash. Wish me luck! I'll come back here after I've attempted something.
Mave

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:36 pm

Best of it, Mave! I'll try to help as much as I can with this.
Ashley

Postby Shinja » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:46 pm

24 is pretty standard for frames per second, 12 will do, but if you want anything complex you'll need 24
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:07 pm

Most anime is actually 8 frame per second that is why it is so stylized
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:09 pm

western animation is usually 24 but anime is 8 so that they can mass produce it faster
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:11 pm

Oh and i would love to be part of a christian anime project in fact i am trying to make my own christian manga right now but i am not that far with it
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Arnobius » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:50 pm

More accurately, 8 new frames. Film runs at 24fps. The detail of animation depends on how many of them show motion and how many are stills. In anime, maybe 1 of 3 frames show movement while the others don't move. Cheaper than US animation.
Arnobius

Postby crossalchemist » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:40 pm

Since I was thinking of an actual video file (not a flash or anything like that) I think I'll experiment with 24fps. Also I don't like mass produced anime like pokemon or digimon anyway, the quality is horrid. I'll see if I can put together a short sample for y'all. I have my sister who's a an amazing artist and I think she could make 5 second film real fast (that's about 120 frames right?). Also, any ideas as to what to make for a five second sample? I thought of maybe some sword moves or something similar.

My new homepage!

Science vs. Faith
crossalchemist

Postby Arnobius » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:48 pm

linwood wrote:Since I was thinking of an actual video file (not a flash or anything like that) I think I'll experiment with 24fps. Also I don't like mass produced anime like pokemon or digimon anyway, the quality is horrid. I'll see if I can put together a short sample for y'all. I have my sister who's a an amazing artist and I think she could make 5 second film real fast (that's about 120 frames right?). Also, any ideas as to what to make for a five second sample? I thought of maybe some sword moves or something similar.

Guess I should have also mentioned that NTSC TV (US, Japan) runs at 29.97fps. If you work with mpeg on DVD or VCD or computer, the player should convert if the disc (or file in the case of computer) is properly formatted.
Arnobius

Postby crossalchemist » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:44 pm

I'm using Jasc Animation Shop 3 by the way. So I might be able to have a sample by the middle of January. We shall see.

My new homepage!

Science vs. Faith
crossalchemist

がんばるぞう!

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:38 am

Good anime that reflects my faith has been a dream of mine for a long time. I don't have much to contribute to the production end of that right now, but I will offer in encouragement what I lack in resources.

There are a lot of skilled individuals on these forums. Get everyone together and pull through this for the long haul. I don't want to see this fall through the cracks!
Cap'n Nick

Postby Jman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:30 pm

If you want christian manga, look at steelblood...a link is in my siggy.

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Insanewithapen *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*
Adopter of Sakura's Wings *0/0*
Adoptee of Cap'n Crack *0/0*

---
"It never hurts to try to make new friends, except when it does hurt…
but that's only when you're trying to make friends with a charging rhinoceros." ~ HolySoldier5000

---
"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed. "
-Isaiah 53:5

|J|c|r|e|w| --- Jman's Antidrug
---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
Help Him Achieve World Domination...

---
It’s not like we hate him or want him to die
Jman

Postby Neo3DGfx » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:03 pm

Not that I would know everything about this, but my guess is that it is possible.
The problems lie in what animation style you would want to use.

For stuff like SD Gundam, 3D with cell-shaded rendering, I would think that would be the easiest. Just use Blender, or Anim8or. Something like that.

Another style, my example would be Gundam Seed, I don't know the professional way to go about making that, but if I was a good computer artist, I'd create paint-like backrounds, and add people in a layer-compatible photoeditor. Very time consumming.

And there's the scan every frame drawn on paper, colorize it, add shadows, intergrate into backgrounds, etc. IMHO, that should be easier on animators than the last option, but it would take even more time all around.

There are some more issues that come to mind, but I'll post more on those later.

I'm really new to almost every aspect of filmmaking, and haven't even touched 2D animation beyond flipbooks.

I say check out fanfilms.com. they have some very good tutorials on general film-making, and a good forum.
Neo3DGfx==Me=="A Christian Gundam SEED (Destiny) fan who wants to make a Christian anime series.:thumb:"
~ Me, ca. 2005... Kept for posterity
Neo3DGfx

Postby Mave » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:58 am

Hmmm...the challenge I'm facing at the moment is mass producing the number of layers used in order to make the movements crisp and smooth. It's an incredible amount of work and I've developed a newfound respect for animators. I think my biggest challenge (and probably some of you) is really patience and endurance :lol: Alright, be back later!
Mave

Postby AngelSakura » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:32 am

Ack, you tech people are melting my brain. ^^ But if there's ever a CAA anime, I wanna be in it!
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:38 am

I am glad to see so much being accomplished (or at the very least discussed in this thread). Hopefully, we (not that I have any part in it) will produce a finished product by pooling our talents.
uc pseudonym

Next

Return to New Projects and Ideas