What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Re: What Manga are you reading?

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Does anyone think they can cook up a content review for "The Seven Deadly Sins?" Looks interesting, but I'm worried about theological content given its premise, description, and title. I also don't like themes of despair and "there's so much suffering; there is no God," etc. I don't like manga and anime that try to push me away from the faith.

Incidentally, starting Space Brothers as well.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:50 am

Mullet Death wrote:Does anyone think they can cook up a content review for "The Seven Deadly Sins?" Looks interesting, but I'm worried about theological content given its premise, description, and title. I also don't like themes of despair and "there's so much suffering; there is no God," etc. I don't like manga and anime that try to push me away from the faith.

I honestly don't see how it could push someone away from their faith as it's set in a fantasy world and it's not heavy theological stuff of saying "there is no God", it's just a differently structured world with its own mythology even though they use the name "Britiannia" and the legend of King Arthur and Merlin. There is oppression seen and talked about (it happens in real life) but it's not despair everywhere and horror, just something is obviously corrupt with the system and the King is "missing." But Nanatsu no Taizai/The Seven Deadly Sins is about a princess seeking out the Legendary Seven Deadly Sins, a band of seven great warriors who were once special member knights of her kingdom in order to save it from the Royal/Holy Knights who are now abusing their power as a military special forces unit. The country folk are being forced to comply to the Holy Knight's demands as a labor force or personal gains as each Holy Knight has the power of a small army. But really a chunk of the series is venturing from town to town, looking for the other Sin Members and some battles between sides happen as well some disputes in oppressed villages, but nothing depressing, just realistic abuse of power and bad guys learning a listen in butt whooping (and for some, the errors of their ways).
The official summary of the series is as it is: The "Seven Deadly Sins", a group of evil knights who conspired to overthrow the kingdom of Britannia, were said to have been eradicated by the Holy Knights, although some claim that they still live. Ten years later, the Holy Knights have staged a Coup d'etat and assassinated the king, becoming the new, tyrannical rulers of the kingdom. Elizabeth, the king's daughter and third princess, sets out on a journey to find the "Seven Deadly Sins", and to enlist their help in taking back the kingdom.

There is the human race, the giant clan, the fairy clan, the demon (monster) clan and the mysterious goddess clan (that honestly I can't tell you more about them save they have great power as they haven't been seen in the series and are unknown). The main thing about the manga that I'm like "meh" about is the Sins' leader Melodias and his shamelessness with boobs and how Elizabeth's chest ends up as a pillow or something (typical fan service deal with boob shots or what in manga/anime). Really the manga is about fighting and conspiracy; it's fantasy battle and quest to find answers to past events, to what the Holy Knights are up to, and find more members of the Sins as they scattered previously 10 years ago. Each member, labeled as brutal criminal, has a tattoo of an animal representing one of the seven deadly sins that represents their power and personality. If anything the most intimidating/worrisome thing about the series is the ominous title. Otherwise I'm not sure what part of it gives you that impression besides the title, what summary of the series did you read?

If someone else can give a better content summary/add more feel free. I honestly have seen darker more chilling and depressing series. This is more goofy with serious moments and is adventure, not a heavy "why is the world like this? We're lost without a god. God is dead" type of thing. Even with the one-shot the general feel of "adventure to retake the kingdom from abusers of power" of the series is conveyed.

CinniScrib

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 am

CinniScrib wrote:
Mullet Death wrote:Does anyone think they can cook up a content review for "The Seven Deadly Sins?" Looks interesting, but I'm worried about theological content given its premise, description, and title. I also don't like themes of despair and "there's so much suffering; there is no God," etc. I don't like manga and anime that try to push me away from the faith.

I honestly don't see how it could push someone away from their faith as it's set in a fantasy world and it's not heavy theological stuff of saying "there is no God", it's just a differently structured world with its own mythology even though they use the name "Britiannia" and the legend of King Arthur and Merlin. There is oppression seen and talked about (it happens in real life) but it's not despair everywhere and horror, just something is obviously corrupt with the system and the King is "missing." But Nanatsu no Taizai/The Seven Deadly Sins is about a princess seeking out the Legendary Seven Deadly Sins, a band of seven great warriors who were once special member knights of her kingdom in order to save it from the Royal/Holy Knights who are now abusing their power as a military special forces unit. The country folk are being forced to comply to the Holy Knight's demands as a labor force or personal gains as each Holy Knight has the power of a small army. But really a chunk of the series is venturing from town to town, looking for the other Sin Members and some battles between sides happen as well some disputes in oppressed villages, but nothing depressing, just realistic abuse of power and bad guys learning a listen in butt whooping (and for some, the errors of their ways).
The official summary of the series is as it is: The "Seven Deadly Sins", a group of evil knights who conspired to overthrow the kingdom of Britannia, were said to have been eradicated by the Holy Knights, although some claim that they still live. Ten years later, the Holy Knights have staged a Coup d'etat and assassinated the king, becoming the new, tyrannical rulers of the kingdom. Elizabeth, the king's daughter and third princess, sets out on a journey to find the "Seven Deadly Sins", and to enlist their help in taking back the kingdom.

There is the human race, the giant clan, the fairy clan, the demon (monster) clan and the mysterious goddess clan (that honestly I can't tell you more about them save they have great power as they haven't been seen in the series and are unknown). The main thing about the manga that I'm like "meh" about is the Sins' leader Melodias and his shamelessness with boobs and how Elizabeth's chest ends up as a pillow or something (typical fan service deal with boob shots or what in manga/anime). Really the manga is about fighting and conspiracy; it's fantasy battle and quest to find answers to past events, to what the Holy Knights are up to, and find more members of the Sins as they scattered previously 10 years ago. Each member, labeled as brutal criminal, has a tattoo of an animal representing one of the seven deadly sins that represents their power and personality. If anything the most intimidating/worrisome thing about the series is the ominous title. Otherwise I'm not sure what part of it gives you that impression besides the title, what summary of the series did you read?

If someone else can give a better content summary/add more feel free. I honestly have seen darker more chilling and depressing series. This is more goofy with serious moments and is adventure, not a heavy "why is the world like this? We're lost without a god. God is dead" type of thing. Even with the one-shot the general feel of "adventure to retake the kingdom from abusers of power" of the series is conveyed.

I hadn't read anything that had said the series was particularly bad, just the Crunchyroll description. I just had healthy suspicions because, as you should know, not every title using religious concepts is respectful of the faith.

If there really isn't anything like that, though, then I'll give the series a chance. I'm glad you understood what I was asking about. You have my thanks. It's a shame about the fan service though.

Mullet Death

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Mullet Death wrote:
CinniScrib wrote:

I hadn't read anything that had said the series was particularly bad, just the Crunchyroll description. I just had healthy suspicions because, as you should know, not every title using religious concepts is respectful of the faith.

If there really isn't anything like that, though, then I'll give the series a chance. I'm glad you understood what I was asking about. You have my thanks. It's a shame about the fan service though.

I totally understand where you are coming from in that respect. I saw the title and was curious so I checked it out but I had seen the title in Japanese first so I didn't immediately recognize it was "The Seven Deadly Sins". The summary I read of it as well gave me the impression "oh it's just a name/uses a popular concept to make the characters more original/appealing because it's a twist." But given how in Fullmetal Alchemist they have the Homunculus named after the Seven Deadly Sins as well as they represent each aspect, I wasn't immediately on guard. But I did feel it out and it turned out it was just a title, nothing malicious against the faith. But yeah the fan service thing, ugh. Thankfully it's not all the time (point blank erotica) but it happens once in a while, as it eases off for a bit before it happens again. Glad I could help and it's good to be wary, I'm just use to most of the mangas I read using a core concept of something and making it their own or just borrowing (like with Pandora Hearts being based on Alice In Wonderland and uses concepts but it's its own story and FMA with their Homunculus Deadly Sin-based names/core abilities.)

CinniScrib

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:45 am

I'm currently reading Vermonia and Sakura Hime the Legend of Sakura at this time.
I am loving them both.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Anisha93 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 am

What is vermonia about?
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Fairy Tale ch 401-2

Pinocchio ch77
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: AAAAH is this series almost done!? *chomps at the bit* It's progressed so well!

Nanatsu no Taizai 95-96
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: OH HECK TO THE NO! HAWK!! D'8 BUT FINALLY we know what Elizabeth is! And why her eye is always covered!
The anime adaption is coming Oct 5! (I'm not sure if it's just an OVA or 12-26 episode series)

CinniScrib

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Vermonia is a story about four kids who are called to take part in a war beyond their world. Its got a good story, well made characters, and a pace thats well thought out. Its an unfinished series so far, but its worth reading.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Koe no Katachi 55
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: HAHAHA omgosh what a way to ease the overwhelming feels by insert humor of having the doctor examine his butt. HWAHA But it's so awesome both the moms are bonding over their deadbeat husbands.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch 4.5

Horimiya ch 41-42

CinniScrib

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:16 am

Liar Game chapters 57-63

The end of Round 3 was awesome. Nao's finally learning how to be sneaky! :lol: I look forward to Round 4 to see Yokoya again. But for now, there's the second Revival Round, which is veeeerrry interesting.... :grin:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Naruto Chapter 694
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hm, interesting given it makes sense since "kage" means shadow, so basically a dark leader/someone in the shadows. I understand what Sasuke means but SERIOUSLY STOP BEING A SELF RIGHTEOUS JERK. UUGH. Kill, kill, kill is all he does.

Bleach 599
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well snap she went down after one chapter. MAAAN.

Magi - Labyrinth of Magic 241
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hakuryuu what are you up to!? How many people will you hurt for your unknown objective!? D8

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 pm

009 Re:Cyborg 1-17 (to be continued)
Nice to see a continuation of the series and a slight reimagining... Apparently there is a film that this manga is based on but I can't find it anywhere, though I know Funimation picked it up back in 2013.... hm

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:33 pm

Fairy Tail ch 403

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Nanatsu no Taizai 97
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hawk is forever dead, seriously that sucks! He was such a good boar too! His mom is going to be sad. But seriously someone explain to Elizabeth, she's clueless and needs to know, she's been too sheltered!

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:14 am

Koe no Kitachi 56
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: What a great movie that they made, it really hit the feelings of Shoko and Ishida.
GIVE US AN OVA FOR THIS SERIES ALREADY!

Shana oh Yoshitsune 29
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: From chapter 1 and the summary we know he's going to die anyways, the question will be if he dies before Shana oh gets there in the next chapter.

Akagami no Shirayukihime 58
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: GO OBI! PUSH THEM TWO! Zen, hurry up and propose!

Naruto 695
WHY DO THEY SAY 5 MORE WEEKS UNTIL THE SHOCKING END. I DON'T WANT A SHOCKING END. JUST SAY "END".

Bleach 600
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: SHE LIVES! THough it drives me nuts the translator messed up and said "he"... BUT THEY ALL LIIIIVE!

CinniScrib

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:40 am

Liar Game chapters 64-67

The first stage of the Second Revival Round was really interesting (though for some reason the revolver made me think of Trigun :D ). I like watching Fukunaga mess with people and scream at the top of his lungs when he gets frazzled. But what a twist Nao pulled! I knew it couldn't all go as planned, but I didn't see that coming. She really is smarter than she looks. What will the next stage have in store?!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 62

Magi - Sinbad no Bouken 36-37.1

CinniScrib

Postby hangten08 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 am

I am currently reading "Monster." Almost done with the first volume, and man, the suspense is building like crazy. If anyone likes those kind of stories, I recommend this. :o

I also recently finished the first volume of a new series, (well, new as an English release) called "The Heroic Legend of Arslan." It's got swordfighting, a setting that I've never seen done before in a fictionalized Persian kingdom, and an interesting plot development. Plus it is from the same person who did Fullmetal Alchemist, so if that interests you or you were looking for a new ongoing to get into, then pick this one up! :jump:
hangten08

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari 9
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: FINALLY. AN UPDATE! And Naofumi is finally being treated right by more people, yesss. I seriously hope eventually the truth of the whole matter comes out though for now Naofumi has to just prove otherwise. So sad with how cynical and apathetic he became thanks to that stupid scheming liar. But save the towns people!! The bird beast is adorable though!

Nanatsu no Taizai 96.5 and 98

CinniScrib

Postby drill » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Pandora Hearts 10 - Finally got around to starting this manga at claec's recommendation. This manga is truly amazing. Good characters and plot. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Took me by surprise that he had jumped 10 years in the future though
drill

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Ao no Exorcist 61
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Izumo's mom woke up! I'm really surprised I assumed she was catatonic pretty much or it would take her longer time to recover instead of all in one chapter. What a resilient woman!

CinniScrib

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:59 pm

I've been terribly neglecting this thread over the last while.

Since I last posted I've finished the Annarasumanara (manwha/webcomic), Olimpos and the Haikyuu! one shot.

Annarasumanara: This is a wonderful story and work of art. The style can range from a clever blend of "live-action" image and drawing to just being breathtakingly stunning and showcases a really unique use of the medium. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I loved the contrast of how down-to-earth realistic the story is and that thread of magic woven through it, so much so that in the end you're not quite sure yourself if the magic is real or not. Of course it is. Seriously recommend this and it's being released officially (as far as I know) here in English. (If anyone knows that my link isn't official, please let me know and I'll remove it.)

Olimpos: A really interesting read and I can't decide if it's brought down or made better by the open ending. I know I'd definitely like to see more and was pleasantly surprised how dense it is for such a short story. The art is extremely beautiful, especially if you like bishies. This has one of the most interesting depictions of gods that I've ever seen, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: specifically that they can't lie and so "test" truths by speaking them and about Zeus being so "high above" the rest of, "creation" for lack of a better word, that it is almost completely alien to him.
Haha, oh man that first bit with the modern-day character totally misleads you about what the story is about. That and the later part about Apollo adds great levels of story-telling than if it was all just from Ganymede's perspective. I'm still sad about Ganymede's brother though.

CinniScrib wrote:Koe no Kitachi 56
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: What a great movie that they made, it really hit the feelings of Shoko and Ishida.
GIVE US AN OVA FOR THIS SERIES ALREADY!

Yeah, wow SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the movie was fantastic and so in touch with everything that's happened.

Shingeki no Kyojin ch 62: This was confusing. Was it just me? I probably need to go read it again, maybe more than once.

I also started reading GTO, Natsume Yuujinchou and Haikyuu!, currently speeding through the latter.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby scribbledreamer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:05 pm

I started reading Ao Haru Ride after the anime ended. In later chapters, it's a lot different than the anime, and I'm really enjoying it. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, I have a love-hate relationship with love triangles. I always like the wrong person. :P
scribbledreamer

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:03 am

GeneD wrote:Shingeki no Kyojin ch 62: This was confusing. Was it just me? I probably need to go read it again, maybe more than once.

Oh no, I feel the same way. It's as if the story has skipped around. I swear there are times I think I've missed a bunch of chapters in between. Something with the pacing/explanations of this series... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Though apparently a majority of the fandom called it with Eren eating his father? My question is how is that possible when he saw him the same day as when the wall fell and hasn't seen him since that day I thought? Or wait, that's right he started injecting Eren after that then he "disappeared" some time later. Still seriously what, I want to smack Historia for turning around so quick to be like "DAD!" and just totally writing Eren off. Given I know she wants to be accepted and loved but really... What up with the hands touching his back to release memories?

Isshuukan Friends 21.5-23
Had to back track since I forgot what I'd last read/what'd happened.

Magi 243
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: What is the black thing inside!? CORRUPTIOOOON.

Koe no Katachi 57
AAAAH YESSS

CinniScrib

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Liar Game chapters 68-69

Since I've never played poker before in my life, I read these chapters much more slowly than usual so I could understand the rules of this stage and follow what's going on.

hangten08 wrote:I am currently reading "Monster." Almost done with the first volume, and man, the suspense is building like crazy. If anyone likes those kind of stories, I recommend this. :o

I also recently finished the first volume of a new series, (well, new as an English release) called "The Heroic Legend of Arslan." It's got swordfighting, a setting that I've never seen done before in a fictionalized Persian kingdom, and an interesting plot development. Plus it is from the same person who did Fullmetal Alchemist, so if that interests you or you were looking for a new ongoing to get into, then pick this one up! :jump:

Absolutely 100% second these recommendations :thumb: Monster is a doozy of a story, but phenomenal in just about every way. And I eagerly wait each new chapter of Arslan. You can always expect the very highest quality of story, artwork, and humor from Arakawa-san, and this story is so different from almost every other manga I've read :hug: (The only one that comes close is Shoukoku no Altair, which I think was canceled? And quality-wise, it didn't hold a candle to Arslan.)

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Pandora Hearts 98

Naruto 696
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Such a repeat of their first full out battle all those years ago when Sasuke deserted.
Only... 3? more chapters to go... O_O

Bleach 601
And here we're in the final arc of this series as well

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Magi - Sinbad no Bouken 38
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: SO now we know how Dragul's body became like that! Also: LITTLE JUDAR! You poor twisted boy. AND SINBAD. Whoooooa look at you at age 16!

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:53 am

Kuroshitsuji 98
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Seriously, how sick is that. I feel so bad for Sullivan! She thought everything was real. SHE FREAKING GOT HER FEET CRUSHED AND BOUND ALL BASED ON A LIE AND DECEIT! Then she has to go and learn that the crazy deformed old looking woman is her mom... messed up. To do that to her own daughter! I mean that's being way over patriotic and dedicated to your work. I hope she goes back with Ciel to England.

Gakuen Babysitters 44-49

Fairy Tail 404 & 405

CinniScrib

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Marathoned a lot of Seven Deadly Sins a while back. Something happened recently that makes me.... incredibly sad. :'(

Mullet Death

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Marathoned a lot of Seven Deadly Sins a while back. Something happened recently that makes me.... incredibly sad. :'(

I knooooow SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Seriously!! HAWK! D'8

Nanatsu no Taizai 99

Horimiya 43

CinniScrib

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews