Fruits Basket manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Fruits Basket manga

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:36 pm

I know that oodles of us are Fruits Basket fans, but just who is reading the manga? I haven't read the second volume yet, but I have the first and I love it-- especially the last six pages or so.

But, on a darker note, I was browsing the Tokyopop website and I almost bit off my tongue when I read the release schedule for the mange. Do you guys realize that there are something like 14 volumes and only 5 of them will be relased by October!? AHHH!!!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Staci » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:13 pm

Here is a link to a thread:

Ashley stated that Fruits Basket Volume 2 is a tear jerker. I have not yet gotten into this particular series, but I plan on picking it up in the future. Many manga fans I talk to enjoy it. *nods sagely*

Mangafanatic wrote:Do you guys realize that there are something like 14 volumes and only 5 of them will be relased by October!? AHHH!!!

I know!!! Doesn't that drive you nuts!? What happens is you buy one volume of a manga, then you have to go buy another and another to find out what happens. But when the dilemma is that the newest one was just released you get into another series, and then you have to wait for that one's newest release. *tugs hair in a playful manner* It's an addiction! ADDICTION!!!

*runs to the hills ranting of manga conspiracies* :thumb:
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby The Grammarian » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:43 pm

I know how you feel. I've been trading off back and forth between the Samurai Deeper Kyo, Rurouni Kenshin and Full Metal Panic! mangas. Sheesh.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:52 am

Staci wrote:
Here is a link to a thread:

Ashley stated that Fruits Basket Volume 2 is a tear jerker. I have not yet gotten into this particular series, but I plan on picking it up in the future. Many manga fans I talk to enjoy it. *nods sagely*

I know!!! Doesn't that drive you nuts!? What happens is you buy one volume of a manga, then you have to go buy another and another to find out what happens. But when the dilemma is that the newest one was just released you get into another series, and then you have to wait for that one's newest release. *tugs hair in a playful manner* It's an addiction! ADDICTION!!!

*runs to the hills ranting of manga conspiracies* :thumb:

What I REALLY hate about the HUGE space from volume to volume is that once the next volume comes out-- well, you're forgotten what happened before!!!! That happened to me with Alice the 19th. I read the first 2 and by the time I picked up the third one I was like " :drool: "

I think we should protest! ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon May 24, 2004 6:13 pm

Furuba seems to be coming out a lot faster than it's supposed to though...I was surprised to see vol.3 in the stores already. But 14 volumes...*weeps.* Why oh why...it's too bad Furuba doesn't come up in the used section very often -_-
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kisa » Mon May 24, 2004 6:18 pm

*recuciates thread*
WOW, lookie what I found here?! FRUITS BASKET!!!!!!!!!!
Yea, we should protest about the delay in releasing these mangas! I absolutley LOVE this series!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue May 25, 2004 1:29 pm

I think this is one of the greatest manga series ever. I mean, the other day, my sister was reading it, and she left it out on the counter in the bathroom. I came in and I was like "AHHH!!! What are you thinking!? Do you know what might have happened? Water might have gotten on it! WATER!!!"

ShiroiHikari wrote:Furuba seems to be coming out a lot faster than it's supposed to though...I was surprised to see vol.3 in the stores already. But 14 volumes...*weeps.* Why oh why...it's too bad Furuba doesn't come up in the used section very often -_-

AHHH!!! I've been dying for three! That's so odd that your book stores have it. It's not set for release until the 8th of June.

Mangafanatic

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue May 25, 2004 1:39 pm

o.O For real? My comic store must have a good distributor or something. o__O
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hikage_Ninja » Tue May 25, 2004 6:16 pm

I personally think that the manga is even better than the anime. I have two volumes of it in Japanese and then the two volumes of it in English. Good stuff. ^_^
...And I'm just tired enough...if I close my eyes, I could sleep for days... -Alkaline Trio

He's Bear, he's Bear. He's made of human hair. Poke his NOSE and his head GROWS! He's Bear, He's Bear, HE'S BEAR!!

BOOOOOARGH! MY BAND!
Hikage_Ninja

Postby Angel37 » Tue May 25, 2004 6:20 pm

I LOVE FRUITSBASKET!!!!!! Anyone willing to give me a banbner of the Cat!!! The manga is so sweet and pretty! I LOVE IT!
-Crash
Angel37

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:16 pm

Oh, I want 3. I WANT 3! I am seriously going crazy. I don't know how I'm gonna wait two months between each volume. I only started reading Furuba a month ago, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself in the meantime. Bleh.

Oh, I want 3.

Mangafanatic

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:39 pm

I read three. Has anybody else? I loved it! (how could one not love furuba.;))

Mangafanatic

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:41 pm

Exactly! It's impossible not to love Furuba! It's funny because as I read it I hear as the voices the people from the dub. Lol. I can't wait until they get to the mangas that weren't featured at all in the anime!

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby RoyalWing » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:07 am

Also, #4 and #6 have really sad things into it.

I have until #8, I'm planning to order 9-10-11 when school is done. (I order them in french, so I have no idea what most of you are talking about.. -_-;;)

Fruits Basket is my favourite series! ^-^ But I do not like the way they made the show...

p.s. Furuba #14 just came out. in Japan
I forgot his name but he is the "ROOSTER" on the cover. It's also important to not that quite some time ago the author was hospitalized
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoyalWing

Postby Kisa » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:09 am

OOOO I guess that means Rin is the Horse then . . .
I want 3! Havent had time to hit the stores and I am sooooo jealous!!!!!!!! ^_^
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:18 am

You must buy it. It's so wonderful. (It's so funny. Whenever I have a hard time at work, I come home a read furuba. It's like my comfort blanket or something.;))

Mangafanatic

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:52 pm

Could someone give me the general idea of what goes on in the manga? I haven't seen or read this series, and because everyone talks so much about it here, was wondering what everyone thinks is wonderful about it. Is it all the romance? I dunno. :eh:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:53 pm

Tohru is the best Anime character of all time, simply put. I believe she is the reason of the popularity. She's sweet, kind, incredibly unselfish. The entire series is great.
Destroyer2000

Postby Ashley » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:41 pm

Could someone give me the general idea of what goes on in the manga? I haven't seen or read this series, and because everyone talks so much about it here, was wondering what everyone thinks is wonderful about it. Is it all the romance? I dunno.

Sure! It's about this orphaned girl Tohru who, through some very strage circumstances, ends up staying with the Sohma family. Except, the Sohma's have a curse--whenever someone of the opposite gender hugs them, they turn into the animals of the chinese zodiac. It's mostly a comedy about their everday lives, and meeting each of the 13 members of the Sohma family under the curse. Tohru, however, is a wonderful character in all aspects--she's sweet, selfless, hardworking and humble, and she likes to bring out the best in others. That's what makes the series so enduring, I think.
Ashley

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:47 pm

Tohru is undoubtedly the awesomest anime girl out there. ^_^

The manga is by no means all romance. ^_^ I've only read three of the manga, but the story already seems to have a lot more depth than the anime. I've seen all the anime, though. Own it, as a matter of fact. The anime is great. It's got humor, a little intrigue, drama, friendship put to the test, and romance. ^_^ And bishies!

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Kisa » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:44 pm

Great synopsis of it Ashley! Coldn't have said it better myself! ^_^
Kisa

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:46 am

Thanks Ashley and rest for the synopsis. I'm probably going to have to up and read this one. :brow:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby c-girl » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:01 am

Furuba.. Fruits Basket... FB... they're all great because they're all the same. I love the manga!! >^^<
I live to love and love to live! >^.^<
ImageImage
I am part of The No Group.. Group.. >"<.. >0.o<
~Real guys go for real down to Mars girls ~ "Roses" by Outkast
c-girl

Location: Omg! It's a flying bird!!! *runs away while you're distracted*

Postby AngelSakura » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:31 pm

I just got the 3rd one! Sohma Kyo-kun was on the front! Wheeeeeee!
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:42 am

AngelSakura wrote:I just got the 3rd one! Sohma Kyo-kun was on the front! Wheeeeeee!

I think the fronts are pretty much the same as the Japanese series just with different backgrounds. The fourth one comes out in August and the 5th one in October (for my birthday yay!). I wish they would release them faster.

I think we have to get to the 6th or 7th one before we get to stuff the anime didn't cover. I can't wait! :thumb:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:19 am

oh, I hope our book store puts the fourth one on the shelf a few weeks early so I can have it for my vaction. I really need something to distract me from endlesshours of driving. Bleh. . .

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:31 pm

I love how it is the same but the story is a bit different than the manga! Its like you get extras and you get a better understanding of the whole thing in general! ^_^
Kisa

Postby Namida » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:30 pm

Oh my gosh, Takaya-sama was hospitalized?! what happened? Is she okay? <:( ::gets all worried::
Namida

Postby RoyalWing » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:44 pm

Don't worry, she's all right~ She didn't mention what she was in for in the comic books. I think it was something you had to read in the magazine that publish her. She just mentioned it how she was happy to get letter from readers and to forgive her for her absence..
RoyalWing

Postby Ducky » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:52 pm

*huggles furuba* I can't wait until vol. 4 but what I really want is a full explanation of exactly what the curse is and how it can be broken and I want to meet the member of the zodiac that wasn't in the anime and find out for sure which one Akito is.
Ducky

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews