The Return of Sailor Moon

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

The Return of Sailor Moon

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-18/kodansha-usa-to-publish-sailor-v-sailor-moon-manga

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd like to read a manga translation closer to the original version. The Mixx/Tokyopop translation was okay, but it was hard to follow at times. Not to mention, the fact that they would switch back and forth between the names from the sub and the dub added to the confusion. >_< So, to me, this is something to get excited over! :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 pm

This is pretty awesome- I'd love to be able to read the manga! And if there's a better version available, then that's even more awesome. I have a friend who is a huge fan- she got it when it was being published like a comic book from Tokyopop! I might get a few volumes for her.
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:15 pm

It's about time this happened.

Now if someone could just get the US rights to the anime again.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:21 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1466649) wrote:Now if someone could just get the US rights to the anime again.

As great as seeing a re-release of this would be, I think I'd rather have the money spent on a newer anime that also deserves a US release.
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Like the Les Miserables anime from 2007? >_<
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Like Dennou Coil, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Macross Frontier, Kimi ni Todoke, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Aoi Bungaku, Bokurano, Itazura na Kiss, Lovely Complex, etc.

Sailor Moon had it's time in the sun, and while I'm sure that there are still fans who'd love to have it re-licensed, these anime also deserve releases.
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:26 pm

YAHOOO!!!!! I'm totally up for that! I tried to read Sailor Moon five years ago as a new fan and couldnt get a hold of it because it was out of print! finally i can!!!

Though, I kinda hope they would just collect all the Sailor Moon vhs's into DVD boxed sets- even fans of the old dub would be happy, and even better if it came with subs.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 pm

airichan623 wrote:Though, I kinda hope they would just collect all the Sailor Moon vhs's into DVD boxed sets

They did. ADV licensed seasons one and two of Sailor Moon and released unedited subtitled box sets. I know because I own both. However they don't own the license anymore, and the box sets are extremely difficult to find these days (and expensive). Seasons three and four, I don't know if they were ever collected in box sets, but I do know they were released on DVD. I own all of S on DVD. I don't own SuperS on DVD though, since I own all of that on fansub VHS tapes. I also own all of Stars on fansub VHS tapes AND fansub DVDs. XD

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:31 am

Atria35 (post: 1466667) wrote:Macross Frontier
Not sure if you already know this, but the Macross licsense is pretty much in permanent limbo due to some shenanigans of Harmony Gold (the original R1 licsensor of SDFM who "melded" it along with, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospaeda into one show called Robotech). This si the reason we didn't even get Do You Remember Love? not to mention subsequent Macross series beyond 2 and Plus. I don't know the specifics of the entanglement. All I recall is Bal blah blah legally tied up, blah blah blah Harmony Gold, blah blah blah no more Macross.

All that to say, no amount of green is going to get us Macross F any time soon.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:16 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1466721) wrote:Not sure if you already know this, but the Macross licsense is pretty much in permanent limbo due to some shenanigans of Harmony Gold (the original R1 licsensor of SDFM who "melded" it along with, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospaeda into one show called Robotech). This si the reason we didn't even get Do You Remember Love? not to mention subsequent Macross series beyond 2 and Plus. I don't know the specifics of the entanglement. All I recall is Bal blah blah legally tied up, blah blah blah Harmony Gold, blah blah blah no more Macross.

All that to say, no amount of green is going to get us Macross F any time soon.

I know this. I've known it for a long time. I was just throwing up examples of awesome anime that deserve US releases, and that was a title that crossed my mind. I was a little rushed because I was getting ready for class.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm not sure if I'd want them to re-dub the anime... Not that I like the English dub, but the Japanese sub version was really long and I'm not sure if I'd want to dedicate all that time to watching an unedited dub of episodes I've already seen. I felt the sub voices were great and overall worthwhile as they were. I think I'd prefer seeing other series dubbed before Sailor Moon. If it happens, I'll probably skip it. But, if it'll make other fans happy, good for them. :)

I'm really, really glad to see this happening to the manga, though! :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 pm

I think that re-dubbing would cost too much money and wouldn't have enough interest- I suspect the people who would be interested in buying Sailor Moon are people that liked it when they were young and would just like to have it on their shelf (*points to self*). But I would not pay extra money for a dub. SM is not worth it.
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Sailor Moon definitely doesn't need to be re-dubbed.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lilac#18 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 pm

[color="Plum"]This is exciting. I been hoping they bring the manga back closet to the original. I'm also very happy that they're gonna translate the Sailor V manga for the first time.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby LiquidOcelot » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Atria35 (post: 1466667) wrote:Like Dennou Coil, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Macross Frontier, Kimi ni Todoke, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Aoi Bungaku, Bokurano, Itazura na Kiss, Lovely Complex, etc.

Regarding Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. I've seen this and it is very good. A lot of heart and soul in it. You'll not see this kind of show made very often. And, I would say never in the West. It's just tragic and eerie that such a devasting earthquake and tsunami happened in Japan. :(

Anyhow, I also would prefer licenses of newer shows or manga. Even classics that were never released here.. But, I won't complain if they do re-license Sailor Moon. Especially, when it sounds like Sailor V could be part of it as well.
LiquidOcelot

Postby sailorsaturn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:55 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1466547) wrote:Personally, I'd like to read a manga translation closer to the original version. The Mixx/Tokyopop translation was okay, but it was hard to follow at times. Not to mention, the fact that they would switch back and forth between the names from the sub and the dub added to the confusion. >_< So, to me, this is something to get excited over! :)

Exactly.
sailorsaturn

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:44 am

So since this is apparently going to be based on the re-release, does anybody know what kind of new things we should expect? I know that it will have touched up artwork and extra side stories.

I've also heard that there are 60 acts (chapters) instead of 52? So even though it has 12 volumes instead of 18, the story is technically "longer". Could anybody confirm any of this?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby rainbowchick_02 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 am

Yay!!! :D I'll have to get it and read it! :D I want them to Dub Sailor Stars! >_<
:3
rainbowchick_02

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews