Rejoice, friends.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby blkmage » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm

This is what's on the other side of the gate wwwwwww
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:32 am

I just finished the first scanlated chapter, so if you want to know where it is, PM me.

It's pretty fun so far. I was a little worried our protagonist would turn out to be another Ed by the grumpy look he has, but he's a fun character(though grumpy, so he's not actually like a goofball or anything). As to be expected from Arakawa, she knows what she's talking about with agriculture, and it seems to have great potential.

Also, crack theory time:[spoiler]This IS the other side of the gate, and all of the extras who share character designs with random soldiers in FMA ARE those soldiers.[/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 am

Thinking about it now, I am quite happy Arakawa decided to go this route with her new series. While the art style will remind us all of FMA for a while, I think this series, thus far, has a different tone to it that sets it apart from FMA. Plus, as Hat mentioned, if anyone is qualified to create a farming school manga, it's Arakawa.

So, read the first chapter. Aikawa is my favorite character thus far, mostly because if I wasn't an illustrator, I would be a vet. Vets are cool.
[spoiler] I felt so bad for him though after they finished catching the chickens, the guys cut off the chicken's head RIGHT in front of them. D:

Also, bwahahahahaha, PE teacher is like Armstrong. I don't care that I'm comparing it to FMA; that's just brilliant.
And the "Geegle" map made me chuckle. [/spoiler]
And yes, horses are cute.
goldenspines

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:18 pm

So, I read the chapter-- and, since most of what I would have commented on was already pointed out, all I can add is: Yep, I'm sold! :grin::thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:12 am

So the second chapter is pretty fun but I have absolutely no idea what Arakawa's plan for this is.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:15 am

Oh man, I forgot this was weekly; I thought I had a month to read the first chapter wwwww
blkmage

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:56 pm

ANN wrote:The story will be set in a high school in the northernmost Japanese prefecture of Hokkaido.

Hats wrote:It's about a farming school, though, so I don't think it will be a normal high school manga.

Fish wrote:This changes everything.

Three thousand years ago on the burning ephemeral battlefield in the heavens the old gods created the only institution capable of training the race of man to stand on their own against the forces of Diety The Vox.

Young Hachiken came to this school with the hopes of flying through the ranks, but when the utter truth is reveled can he and his classmates learn the secrets of spiritual battle through farm techniques!? With "The Day" being promised 24 hours before graduation only one thing is certain..

The world makes sense, if you force it to.

I'll have the first chapter read to upload by Wednesday morning Fish.

[spoiler] The first chapter gives further proof that any good story from Japan has a Fist of The North Star reference[/spoiler]
Solid Ronin

Postby Tamachan319 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:14 pm

I recently read the first chapter and thought it was pretty good. I think the whole idea of the the story is fun- as others have said, who else would be this qualified to create an agriculturally-themed manga? I'm not quite sure where the story's going...but I guess we'll have to find out!
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Tamachan319 (post: 1473133) wrote:I think the whole idea of the the story is fun- as others have said, who else would be this qualified to create an agriculturally-themed manga?

The person who's writing Moyashimon.

But I'm waiting a little longer before I get into it- I can't keep up with weekly chapters at this point >.>
Atria35

Postby CrystalChalice » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:54 am

I've read the first 2 chapters, and so far I'm really liking it.

There's just something I need to get off my chest: Aikawa looks like a teenage bishie Falman (there, I said it!)
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Sheenar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 am

I read the first chapter and love it! Reminds me so much of my area of study. lol

[spoiler] Seriously, when he was chasing the calf, it brought back memories of chasing baby goats in my Sheep and Goats class.

And the thing with the chicken as "reward." I helped process chickens for a class and had the same reaction the 2 students did.

And the super-thick "Animal Husbandry" book --lol.

I also cracked up at the PE teacher --it's Armstrong's twin! [/spoiler]

I am excited to read the second chapter! :D
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:20 pm

I think I just saw Armstrong's descendent...

"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby TheMewster » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1472229) wrote:Three thousand years ago on the burning ephemeral battlefield in the heavens the old gods created the only institution capable of training the race of man to stand on their own against the forces of Diety The Vox.

Young Hachiken came to this school with the hopes of flying through the ranks, but when the utter truth is reveled can he and his classmates learn the secrets of spiritual battle through farm techniques!? With "The Day" being promised 24 hours before graduation only one thing is certain..

The world makes sense, if you force it to.

I'll have the first chapter read to upload by Wednesday morning Fish.

[spoiler] The first chapter gives further proof that any good story from Japan has a Fist of The North Star reference[/spoiler]

That isn't the real plot right? I was going to read it but that kind of spiritual element to the manga plot leaves me a little bit offended.Thanks and God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:29 pm

TheMewster (post: 1473349) wrote:That isn't the real plot right? I was going to read it but that kind of spiritual element to the manga plot leaves me a little bit offended.Thanks and God bless you!

Psh. No, he's just kidding. If you looked through any of the other posts, it's clear that it's about people in an agricultural school. Chasing cows, measuring feed, etc.
Atria35

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:02 pm

TheMewster (post: 1473349) wrote:That isn't the real plot right? I was going to read it but that kind of spiritual element to the manga plot leaves me a little bit offended.Thanks and God bless you!

It is not, sadly.
Solid Ronin

Postby TheMewster » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Okay thanks and God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:04 am

So chapter three still leaves me wondering where Arakawa is going to go with this.

On the other hand, Hachiken mentioned that he's not interested in going to a prestigious college, which is surprising given how dedicated he is to studying.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby sailorsaturn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:56 am

Oh my gosh, I just finished reading the first two chapters and like pretty much everyone else on here I have no idea where she's going with this, but I about died laughing several times. (It doesn't help that I'm right here in my living room and everyone in my family has no idea what I'm going on about.)
I forgot how much I love Hiromu Arakawa.
sailorsaturn

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews