Looking for a good mystery.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Looking for a good mystery.

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Anyone know of some good mystery/espionage MANGA other than Death Note and MPD Psycho, but I don't think that one's allowed to be talked about on here...?
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Saiya~Jin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:00 am

Detective Conan ["Cased Closed" is the name of it in America] is pretty good. It's been going on in Japan for a couple decades now, IIRC. It's just a story about a young boy detective. I've seen a few of the anime episodes, and they were really good. I'm guessing the manga is as good or even better. Hope this helps!
"The power of imagination is the ability to create your own future...and the power to create your own flow of time."
Saiya~Jin

Postby c.t.,girl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 am

I've seen a few episodes too. Didn't even think about that series! I will try it out since I've never read the manga.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 am

Monster is an excellent mystery/suspense/drama manga.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 am

This should be in the Manga Recommendations Thread at the top of the page.

However, I'm seconding Monster- and following that up with Pluto and 20th Century Boys. All three series are by Naoki Urasawa, and are good mysteries (Pluto is a bit less mystery than the others, but still). and 20th Cen. Boys definitely has the huge consipracy thing going for it. One of my friends is into the series Remote, Liar Game is good if you want less mystery and more mind games, Doubt (aka Rabbit Doubt) is another fabulous one, as is Higurashi: When They Cry (I've watched the anime and read the manga for Higurashi. The arcs are different enough, and you get some extra info in the manga arcs, that both are enjoyable experiences). You might also look into the Kindaichi Case Files, Future Diary, Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning, Shiki, Alive: The Final Evolution, Goth.

Some of these are definitely more on the horror/mystery side, some are just on the mystery side. But since you mentioned MPD Psycho, I figured it would be okay to list them.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:26 am

Seconding Monster. It has a solid storyline, plenty of suspense, a touch of horror, and some of the best characters ever. It isn't really a mystery and it doesn't have much espionage, but it does have a lot of similar traits to Death Note and MPD Psycho. Except it is better.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby c.t.,girl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 am

wow...i totally forgot about monster! yesss i agree that's a good manga. i need to get back into that one.

oh man, atria, i totally wrote all those down to find later. *u* THANK YOUUUU!

c.t.,girl

Postby Atria35 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 am

c.t.,girl (post: 1462319) wrote:oh man, atria, i totally wrote all those down to find later. *u* THANK YOUUUU!

Your'e welcome. I like this genre, too, so I have quite a few titles that I'm familiar with! :lol::thumb:
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:40 pm

ich1990, why do you think Monster doesn't have much mystery? The whole series is based upon mysteries and uncovering the truth behind them.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ich1990 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1462410) wrote:ich1990, why do you think Monster doesn't have much mystery? The whole series is based upon mysteries and uncovering the truth behind them.

I guess because the point of the series isn't about finding out who Johan is so much as it is about stopping him. Learning about him is simply a means to an end. And really, you find out a whole bunch about him, including what he looks like, in the first few episodes. Most mysteries don't give that much away.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Ichi, okay. I see where you're coming from but I would still argue that it's a mystery. We'll agree to disagree. It's certainly not a mystery in the vein of Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie but there's are many dark secrets to uncover along the way.

C.T. Girl, I'm not sure what the series is called in the US (I have a bilingual version of the manga) but The New Kindaichi Case Files are a brilliant mystery series in the vein of Columbo, Sherlock Holmes etc. I don't even know if they're out of print but if you can find them, they're certainly worth reading. They have some disturbing violence and themes, so they would probably have a 16+ rating. Nothing overly gratuitious though.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maokun » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:16 am

Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation. Mysteries served on a paranormal setting with a bit of horror on the side. Highly recommended. And those two episodes of The Melancholy o Haruhi Suzumiya, I guess...
Maokun

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews