Where do you get manga magazines?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Where do you get manga magazines?

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Just curious; where can you buy manga magazines? Like do you have to specially order it online? Can you buy it in a bookstore in the magazine section? Just curious, because I really wanna know! And are there any good manga magazines you can recommend?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:43 pm

To be quite honest with you the only manga magazine I know of that has not met its doom yet is: Shonen Jump! There used to be a girls imprint called "Shojo Beat" (RIP) but it went under. I think Otaku USA may still be running. I believe they had a small section of manga previews. Other then that I cannot think of any others out there for you to buy. I'd say between the two if you like shonen titles then I'd most certainly check out Shonen Jump! They run a bunch of different titles from One Piece, Reborn, Naruto, etc. I hope this helps!
yukoxholic

Postby goldenspines » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:54 pm

To add onto what Yuko mentioned there is Yen+. Yen+ has both manga and manhwa, but still, it's usually a nice mixture of genres (more so than SJ). It contains titles such as Soul Eater, Kuroshitsuji, Hero Tales, Maximum Ride, Jack Frost, etc...

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you can usually find Yen+ at any bookstore. And sometimes at big convenience stores.
goldenspines

Postby Lynna » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:56 pm

acctually, I saw "Shojo Beat!" at Chapters awhile ago...not to sure about now. There is this Christian anime magazine called "anime angels" but I'm not sure whether or not it's just an online magazine. I think If you want to read any anime magazines other than "shonen jump" and "shojo Beat" you have to order them
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby MasterDias » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:09 pm

There are only two American manga anthologies still in publication: Shonen Jump and Yen Plus. Both should generally be found at the major bookstore chains(Borders, Barnes & Nobles, etc.) Or you can subscribe directly from their websites.

Shonen Jump has various shonen titles from the Japanese Shonen Jump. Yen Plus has a mixture of shonen/seinen manga (from Square-Enix's Gangan Comics imprint), Korean manhwa, and a couple of OEL titles.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby wildpurplechild » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:10 pm

If you have a Barnes and Noble near you, they carry Yen+ and Shonen Jump by the manga section.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks so much guys! Barnes & Noble is my favorite bookstore. What section could I find Shonen Jump! and Yen+? I've checked the magazine section, found nothing. Is it under a specific catagory?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby airichan623 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Actually in Barnes & Noble (and Borders which in my opinion is better than B&N cuz of their sales on manga) they live with the magazines. usually near the video game magazines, in fact. The current SJ has Naruto on the cover, so itll be easy to spot :)

I really wish Shojo Beat was still alive...but it died X(

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews