No more Kodansha for Tokyopop

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

No more Kodansha for Tokyopop

Postby blkmage » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 am

Kodansha to let Tokyopop licenses lapse

Basically, this means that Tokyopop won't be allowed to finish off Kodansha titles that are currently ongoing or reprint any out of print titles. The number of titles is pretty substantial. If you were looking to pick up Love Hina, Beck, GTO, Voices of a Distant Star, Getbackers, or whatever else, well, you'd better do it soon.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 am

So...why are they doing this?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 am

It is a mystery.
blkmage

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:08 am

That's strange they don't even give a reason for it. I never rly liked TokyoPop, so it doesn't matter much to me, but still. Strange.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby MasterDias » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 am

Del Rey is going to finish Samurai Deeper Kyo. Hopefully, they will pick up some of the others as well, or at least, one would hope Kodansha wouldn't yank them without having some sort of future plans in place.

Rave Master had only three volumes left. I think Getbackers was over halfway done. While not Fruits Basket level in sales, I was always under the impression that these were doing fairly well for Tokyopop.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:51 pm

I don't collect anything from Tokyopop myself (Only one three volume title), but I feel for the folks who do. 98% of my manga are Viz, heh.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:07 pm

MasterDias (post: 1343296) wrote:Del Rey is going to finish Samurai Deeper Kyo. Hopefully, they will pick up some of the others as well, or at least, one would hope Kodansha wouldn't yank them without having some sort of future plans in place.

Rave Master had only three volumes left. I think Getbackers was over halfway done. While not Fruits Basket level in sales, I was always under the impression that these were doing fairly well for Tokyopop.

I put the words "Del Rey" in bold for a reason...Like, ALL of Del Rey's manga are licensed from Kodansha. No, seriously. This decision makes sense.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby animechica » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Bleh.. Tokyopop's quality has gone down the tubes anyway... T_T
And you gotta love how they promote the living daylights out of their slowwww-release OEL books while near-neglecting their Japanese stuff, which for a company called TOKYOpop is pretty sad.

The only thing I dislike about Del Rey from what I've seen is their lower-case lettering in some of the manga they've put out. Really though, I love their cultural notes in the back. You feel like they actually care about the reader.
animechica

Postby MasterDias » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 pm

Sapphi (post: 1346559) wrote:And you gotta love how they promote the living daylights out of their slowwww-release OEL books while near-neglecting their Japanese stuff, which for a company called TOKYOpop is pretty sad.

I don't think they really had too much of choice actually. Most of the major Japanese publishers basically have exclusive contracts (or something similar anyway, if not officially) with other companies. Shueisha and Shogakukan are with Viz, Kodansha with Del Rey, Square-Enix with Yen Press, etc.

This isn't leaving Tokyopop with a lot of major titles. That's why they were basically milking Fruits Basket for all it was worth.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews