Marvel... Manga?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Marvel... Manga?

Postby Robin Firedrake » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Here's an interesting thing i found while scouring wikipedia for Marvel and DC villains... Apparently Marvel decided they needed to make a manga version of their comics for a short while. Tons of weird stuff. I found a pic but I'm not sure whether i should post it here. (Doncha just hate when an awesome group photo is ruined by a bikini clad heroin/villainess?) If you want me to I'll PM it to you and those of you that have seen it can tell me whether or not they think I should post it.
Robin Firedrake

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:36 pm

It was terrible. Trust me. Among their quirky side projects, however, they also produced a series of kids comics turning Franklin Richards in to a literal Calvin and Hobbes comic complete with artwork homage.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby That Dude » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:47 am

Though they do have "Snikt!" By the creator of "Blame!" And also they have some xmen comics done by Kie Asiyama.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby minakichan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Marvel already has "manga-esque" stuff like Spiderman Loves Mary Jane, but they're starting a Wolverine and an X-Men series.

Personally, yeah, bishie Wolverine is a little creepy and the X-Men series looks like it's going to be JUST. WRONG. (TOTORO BEAST WHAT), buuuuut but but but...

The art, at least judging from concept art, looks SOOO much better than the utterly indigestible crap out in the OEL market today. I might be going to heck for this, but I think I'm going to pick at least the Wolverine title up just because of that.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:43 pm

Yes, I've browsed some of this while at a bookstore. I didn't find it particularly meaningful - essentially a trivial reworking of the Marvel storylines with a different set of clichés. Kind of fun, but I'd say if you want a Marvel graphic novel just read the Ultimates series.
uc pseudonym

Postby whisperingloon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm

It's totally an "elseworlds" type of thing, casting the Marvel characters with trappings from other genres. I found it interesting and sort of fun.

They've done with with their Spider-Man, Avengers, and X-men Fairy Tales series as well, casting the characters and whatnot in fairy tale settings.

Avatars: Covenant of the Shield is an older one, casting the Marvel Universe (specifically, Avengers) in an Arthurian styled fantasy. I really enjoyed that one.

There was the "mega-morphs" miniseries lately as well, which was more crass and existed specifically to promote a Marvel Transformers line or something.

The bottom line is, in each of these, there's enough of a recognizable character left, that you have the illusion of a history, as a reader, with the characters. They can then take those and do some crazy stuff with them -- take them in other directions.

I find myself enjoying those stories more than I enjoy the actual series featuring the characters. I'll never buy a regular X-Men series, but I like those characters. So something like Avatars is fun for me. You get the heart of the characters, without thousands of issues of continuity to catch up on.

All that to say: I somewhat enjoyed some of the Marvel Manga issues. The Spider-Clan series was fun. I liked the Hulk as daikaiju (although that didn't live up to its promise). The Fantastic Four in their mechs was kinda fun, too.

~ Ben
~~~~~~~~
www.benaveryonline.com
The descent to Avernus is easy;
The gate of Pluto stands open night and day;
But to retrace one’s steps and return to the upper air,
That is the toil, that is the difficulty.
-Virgil
whisperingloon

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:25 pm

In one of the manga interpretations it was actually one of those cashcow attempts to make money off the fad by having an american make poorly drawn stereotypes of manga characters. Wolverine had laser claws.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Robin Firedrake » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Ooooh... Mind linking me to info about the avatars then Mr. loon?
Robin Firedrake

Postby minakichan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde-Host Club thing. Whoops.

You're talking Marvel Mangaverse. That's completely different. That stuff is crap. Because open cleavage, big eyes, and cel-shading automatically qualify as manga imitation. orz
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby whisperingloon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:44 am

Avataars was only three issues long. The editor of the book (Brevoort) was embarrassed by it because it ended up not being as great as it was supposed to be. Even so, I enjoyed it. I may be a minority. I did not sell well, from what I understand, and they have not revisited it since . . . although there are a number of similarities between this and 1602.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/earthavataars.htm

This has about all you could want to know . . . may not even need to read the comic! But it gets into who is who (like Captain Avalon is meant to be Captain America . . . and my favorite, the Hulk is Greenskyn Smashtroll).

~ Ben
~~~~~~~~
www.benaveryonline.com
The descent to Avernus is easy;
The gate of Pluto stands open night and day;
But to retrace one’s steps and return to the upper air,
That is the toil, that is the difficulty.
-Virgil
whisperingloon

Postby Hittokiri04 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:06 am

Hmm looks kinda dumb. And they butchered Black Cat. :shady:
Hit me up here V
[url=http://]www.myspace.com/otakunocrazo[/url]

[url=http://]http://www.tokyopop.com/Hittokiri04/[/url]

[url=http://]http://www.battlecry.com/battleplan.php?username=Ronin[/url]

www.xanga.com/super_afro_samurai_guy
Yeah I just dusted off the old xanga site.

:dance: IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!! :dance:

Adopted by:
Mega.EXE

Adopted:
beffi90_09
OtakuX
Ditalover
^_^x <---- Kenshin shall rule the world! To help him, copy & paste this in your signature ----> ^_^x
Hittokiri04

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews