Manga that has depth

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manga that has depth

Postby Desert Rose » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm

What I like in my manga, is depth. I don't like panty shots, detailed nudity, graphic sex scenes, stuff like that. Violence I don't mind so much, and it's better if the swearing is mild.

I like drama, adventure, character development, and humor. It's annoying to read a manga that relies on fan service. I want to see the man character grow mentally and emotionally.

With that said, what manga have you read would fit this description?

For me, it would be Basara, Vampire Princess Miyu, New Vampire Miyu, and From Far Away.

From Far Away made me wish I could have my own chimo.
Desert Rose

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Just for the sake talking here, are those things necessarily mutually exclusive with depth, in your opinion? Not arguing. Can't even come up with examples off the top of my head where the mesh, but just asking.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:04 pm

One manga that comes to mind is Baby and Me, though I've only read the first volume.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Desert Rose » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:31 am

No, it depends on the story itself.

I was talking about stuff in the general terms. You can have depth, but I just feel that the suff I mentioned isn't always needed to further the plot line.
Desert Rose

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 am

20th Century Boys.

You want depth with a whole lot of awesome? Read it. Read it now, or when it comes to the U.S. in February.

Actually, I find a lot of manga have the kind of depth you're talking about, but I know what you mean about fanservice ruining it. I really like the plot of the Negima manga, but the fanservice kills my interest.

But yeah, 20th Century Boys is epic, literally.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ich1990 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:19 am

I would say that FullMetal Alchemist fits your bill. I am about 10 volumes into it and have yet to be let down. It gets quite violent at times, but that is pretty much it as far as objectional content goes. I haven't seen one iota of fanservice yet.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby RidleyofZebes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 am

Second on FMA. I'm 17 volumes in, and it's still rolling out awesomeness.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 am

I like Hajime no Ippo a whole lot; it has great characters that you can really feel for, but you have to watch out for the occasional poop jokes. @_@
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Desert Rose » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 am

Pity my job might be gone soon, otherewise I'd be shopping for manga right now.Thanks people!
Desert Rose

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:35 am

Anything by Naoki Urasawa. (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto) That man is a genius and is hailed as one of the top mangaka ever. (Well in my books, at least)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ich1990 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:49 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1270987) wrote:Anything by Naoki Urasawa. (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto) That man is a genius and is hailed as one of the top mangaka ever. (Well in my books, at least)

I would strike Monster off that list due to the content restrictions placed in the OP. Monster certainly has depth, but it also has a few scenes of detailed nudity. It isn't fanservice, but it is there.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby RobinSena » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 am

Perhaps you'd enjoy Depth Note? (Har har)
It has little fan service(one obscured shower scene, and a few fanservice bits with Misa, but that's not often), and mild swearing. Not sure if the story line would interest you, but I figured I'd toss it out there.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Pyro_artist » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 am

One manga that I find has depth is La Corda d'Oro. I haven't seen any fan service so far (if you don't count a bath scene that you don't see anything).
Pyro_artist

Postby minakichan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:11 am

What I like in my manga, is depth. I don't like panty shots, detailed nudity, graphic sex scenes, stuff like that. Violence I don't mind so much, and it's better if the swearing is mild.

Are saying that depth and sexuality/violence are mutually exclusive?

I... SERIOUSLY beg to differ. How many G rated movies win Oscars for best picture or acting and the like? I'm not saying that they go hand-in-hand, but there's a difference between cheap thrill fanservice and sexuality with intent, as there is between pointless bashing blood-'n-guts and impactful and relevant violence.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 am

There is a lot to be said for the Nausicaa manga if you can find it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 am

Dogtato is a dark and brooding masterpiece.

Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:32 pm

All manga I've seen has depth.

I have never seen a two dimensional manga before.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby RobinSena » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1270998) wrote:There is a lot to be said for the Nausicaa manga if you can find it.

Ah, can't believe I didn't remember that. +1 to Nausicaa
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Here's another plug for Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Kkun » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:57 pm

I'd second Death Note. It stands up to multiple readings.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Desert Rose » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:04 pm

minakichan (post: 1270994) wrote:Are saying that depth and sexuality/violence are mutually exclusive?

I... SERIOUSLY beg to differ. How many G rated movies win Oscars for best picture or acting and the like? I'm not saying that they go hand-in-hand, but there's a difference between cheap thrill fanservice and sexuality with intent, as there is between pointless bashing blood-'n-guts and impact and relevant violence.

I totally agree. Basara is violent, but it's not for kicks and to show how well the author can draw corpses and such. It's relevant, as people do fight, and they also die. With war, you won't be seeing Big Bird and Grover walking down the street.

I'm talking about a manga where you have frequent detailed nudity of an underage character when it's not needed to further the story. Plants and hands can be used to cover it up.

I've seen both the Fullmetal Alchamist and Death Note animes, and I love them both. *munches on an apple*
Desert Rose

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1271004) wrote:Dogtato is a dark and brooding masterpiece.

I can't believe I forgot about this one. It's so deep I just might drown (ooooooh).
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Oh and do you like anime with depth? If so, then I direct you towards Paranoia Agent. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Desert Rose » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Yes I do, I think I might've seen some episodes. I'm a big Trinity Blood fan myself.
Desert Rose

Postby Lady Kenshin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:28 pm

FMA and anything by Urasawa. Definitely.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby oro! » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:01 am

For depth: Imadoki is only five volumes, but it's a good five volumes. It's realistic and deals with real societal problems. A little bit of innuendo in there, but I think that overall it's much cleaner than much else Yuu Watase has to offer...
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby minakichan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Ok, if people can cite Imadoki and La Corda d'Oro in such a way that "depth" is defined as "no pointless panty shots and WHOA THE CHARACTERS HAVE INTERNAL MONOLOGUE AND EMOTIONZZZ," I might as well suggest Peach Girl. Teen angst is SO deep.

D:

Joking aside, this makes me a little less wary of pimping Deep Love. It's got a lot of sex and nudity (well... the protagonist IS a prostitute), but it's very "serious" and "touching." I still don't believe it's terribly more "deep" than the above two mentioned because it, you know, doesn't address a whole lot of QUESTIONS OF ESSENTIAL HUMAN TRUTHS, but it does discuss social issues that are of particular interest in Japan today like underage prostitution and STDs.

Might also suggest Hourou Musuko, which on the surface looks like a cute and innocent elementary school story, but explores budding adolescent sexuality aaaand... transgenderism. So that might not sit well with some people.

Of course, nothing is deeper than Manga Das Kapital.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Hey I like Peach Girl. :|

Though I wouldn't classify it as deep or thought-provoking.

Also I could state my favorite manga that is actually deeper than most people give it credit for but I would probably be subject to massive criticisms. >.>;;

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby minakichan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:36 pm

Hey I like Peach Girl. :|

Though I wouldn't classify it as deep or thought-provoking.

Don't get me wrong.

I agree with you 150%.

Peach Girl. Is. Amazing. XDDD!

Also: KOJIKA EHHHH ORLY? XDDD
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Fruits Basket, W Juliet, and although it is a work in progress and I don't know how it will end, Madmoiselle Butterfly. At the point where I am:

[spoiler] The male lead has just been drafted into Japan's army and is headed to fight. This during WWII. [/spoiler]
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews