Emma Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Emma Thread

Postby theanimeguy » Sun May 04, 2008 11:13 am

Anyone here like Emma: A Victorian Romance. Its printed on a smaller format, and its full of history. Its pretty good from what I hear.

LINK to INFO: http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=729
theanimeguy

Postby yukoxholic » Mon May 05, 2008 10:47 am

I've read the manga and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd have to say that Emma is one of my all time favorites. It's one of the first mangas I've read that ended realistically, didn't involve some overly deep multiple plot lines, and the art style was stylistically different from other titles I've read. Emma is a breath of fresh air really since it's more about 19th century history than anything else. Plus, the story is wonderful. It's one of the few mangas that I would say is very original in it's genre. If you haven't read Kaoru Mori's Emma series yet. I have my own review of the manga here. Maybe this can persuade you!

I'm really looking forward to Ms.Mori's next work: Shirley. Which will be a collection of short stories about, what else? Maids in the 19th century. ^__^
yukoxholic

Postby eternalprincess » Tue May 06, 2008 5:47 am

That recently snagged my interested at Books A Million the other day. I keep meaning to snag one and start reading it, but I've yet too. XD

*makes mental note*

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby theanimeguy » Wed May 07, 2008 2:42 pm

Can you guys reply at my MAL blog. Just go to myanimelist.net and search for kantokid under users
theanimeguy

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 07, 2008 2:58 pm

theanimeguy (post: 1223954) wrote:Can you guys reply at my MAL blog. Just go to myanimelist.net and search for kantokid under users

No.

There is already a thread here.
Fish and Chips

Postby EKmisao » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:56 pm

I've watched the anime, and I liked it a lot. A lot of romantic tension is present, without anyone getting kissed or taking anything off. I say that's quite incredible. ^^v

EK 8 )
The bluest sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.
-- Gentatsu (RK movie)
EKmisao

Postby theanimeguy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:51 pm

I was a bit upset at vol.7 of the manga though. They were a few pages of almost full nudity. It was not sexual though. (It was a bath scene involving 3 maids).
theanimeguy

Postby yukoxholic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:11 am

I didn't really mind the nudity because as stated it was in a non-sexual manner, there was nothing shown in any of those scenes that implied it to be fanservice either though everyone I suppose has a different way of viewing so-called "fanservice". Certain scenes with nudity showcased in them were meant to show the reader the daily tasks of maids (i.e.: The scene where Emma is helping the Mistress bathe). The scene that you are speaking of with the maids bathing was to showcase how the help were treated (aka: they are nothing special), bathing in those times was like a cattle-call almost! Just one after the other and using the same water. Also, the topic of their discussion as well in that scene gave you more insight as when did maids get a chance to gossip with another either except on these rare bathing occasions and whenever the Master/Mistress of the house was not around. This is how I perceived all nudity in Emma. I think Miss. Mori through her attention to detail and all things maids is always trying to show the reader something new or what one may not know about the era, fashion, social standing, or characteristics of maids. I do not believe she meant it as a vice for gratuitous rear/chest drawings.

I believe Miss. Mori did it very tastefully in my opinion. ^__^ Was the nudity needed? No, if it were all edited out the manga would've been just as amazing but I believe she opted not to do that as to make it more real for the readers. :)

Also, female nudity doesn't bother me at all as I am female so I suppose it is different for others.
yukoxholic

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews