Train Man (Densha Otoko)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Train Man (Densha Otoko)

Postby Ashley » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:24 pm

Many thanks to gamergirl for this excellent review!
http://christiananime.net/manga_reviews.php?display=250
Ashley

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Unfortunately, since Densha Otoko / Train Man is based on a story in the public domain (and believed by many to be a true story) nobody really "owns" this story, and there are many versions. The board needs to somehow specify which version this is for. Kinda confused me until I realized it was for a different version of the story than the one I just finished reading (the CMX version).

I've also seen the J-Dorama, which is a very cute rendition. I hope more people encounter this tale, one way or another.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:46 pm

I saw the movie of Densha Otoko, and it is one of my favorites. :D Thanks for the review gamergirl.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Ashley » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:46 am

The board needs to somehow specify which version this is for. Kinda confused me until I realized it was for a different version of the story than the one I just finished reading (the CMX version).

It was made clear in the "Related Titles" line:
Related Titles
There have been several renditions of this series. There is a 3-volume manga renditions licensed by Viz (illustrated by Hidenori Hara), and another 3-volume take licensed by the other by CMX (illustrated by Wataru Watanabe). A novelization by Hitori Nakano, published by Shinchosha, is licensed in the US by DelRey.

This, plus the publisher information listed at the top, plus the extended Japanese title, plus the mangaka's name (as each storyline was done by a different one) should have made it clear which storyline this was based on. But if you have a suggestion about how to make it more clear, I am open to it.
Ashley

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 am

Upon further review, I can see my post was unclear. I was wondering about the index page for reviews, not the content of your review. Yes, I eventually figured it out (I have a bad habit of skipping around a page rather than reading top-to-bottom. I'm Adult ADD... Not a joke; I'm on meds and everything... so this is probably a symptom.)

However, this experience made me think about the random parent or interested reader who is looking at your review for needed info. Not many titles have multiple mangaka or pubishers attached to them, but there are a few ('Train Man' and 'Comic Party' come immediately to mind). The index page doesn't have a means to alert the less-well-informed that 'this is not the manga you are looking for', and that the info within may not apply.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Ashley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:42 am

Ok, what I did was I edited the title to read "Train Man (Delrey Version)"; hopefully that will clear things up.
Ashley

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:37 pm

The rating on the review says "2/10", yet it says that the reviewer (JesusFreak84, not gamergirl) really liked the manga.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews