One Piece...Is It Good?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

One Piece...Is It Good?

Postby AsianBlossom » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Okay...so I figured that most of the threads that came up under "search" were not going to be specific, and if they were that far down the line, it wouldn't be worth gravedigging them, so...

I've been thinking about looking into buying the One Piece manga series, seeing as I like what I've seen on the anime, chopped up though it may be (please don't start anything; I'm just stating a fact). Also, Borders sells each book for about $7.95 or something each. But anyways, for those of you who have read it, is it good enough to consider buying? After all, from what I've seen, there are many books in this series; and it would stink buying most of the books in the series only to realize that something rather unpleasant happens towards the end (we had this downloadable game called "Chip's Challenge" that we've long since deleted...they wait until the 145th or so level to throw in some sort of satanic element and by then you've wasted how many hours trying to complete the dumb thing...sheesh...) Anyways...
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:23 pm

i, myself, find One Piece to be quite an enjoyable, light-hearted series. the artwork is quite unusual (not sure if that's good or bad) and the entire series is quite bizarre and funky and also quite funny. the story is pretty intriguing (i mean, there aren't very many mangas about PIRATES). the characters are quite original and have interesting backgrounds. overall, the series is very fun with lots of comedy and action and likable characters.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MasterDias » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:41 pm

If you are fine with the earlier volumes, you really shouldn't find anything wrong with the later volumes, I don't think.
If you want a general-content review, there is a fair-amount of blood and such(but that's a given for a series of this type) although no one ever dies outside of flashbacks, occasional mild fanservice (but no female nudity, and perhaps only 1 or 2 instances of brief male rear shots)... and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
No...eh...satanism or anything....but I've never seen that in a manga series.

It's a really fun series all things considering, albeit an extremely long one. The series is 48+ volumes in Japan currently and nowhere close to finishing. The really slow U.S. release is around 16 volumes currently.
But, yeah, it's a good series.

Meanwhile....Chip's Challenge? I think I played/had that game years ago.....but don't think I got anywhere on it.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 pm

To answer your question, if you liked the anime I don't think the manga will be much different. The 4kids version has general threatening elements removed (blood, alcohol, guns, etc) but if that kind of thing bothered you I doubt you'd be reading shonen.

To answer the question in the title... I don't think so. One Piece is one of the main three shonen titles today and is very popular, but I find it merely mediocre. But given that this thread isn't really about the quality of the series, I won't talk about this too long.
uc pseudonym

Postby creed4 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 pm

I like it. Because of 4kids the manga has more arcs in it and the stories are cleaver.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:43 pm

One Piece is entertaining with a likable stock of characters, which isn't a bad thing, but for Shounen, it's pretty much par for the course. That, and the Mangaka could put a little more effort into his work. At Oda's best, One Piece's art is fairly good, but the rest of the time it's sub standard. A good bookstore read, but that's all.

And yes, that is Sanji in my signature.
Fish and Chips

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:37 pm

Well, personally, I sort-of stand the storyline (I mean, c'mon. a RUBBER pirate?)

BUT I can't handle the cartoony-ness of this series. I can't read or watch something if the art's not aesthetically pleasing to me. But it'd be a good bookstore read, like Fish & Chips said.

STORY:8/10
ART:3/10
OVERALL RATING:6/10
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:34 pm

You guys all suck. :P One Piece is highly entertaining, and very emotional. Also, I happen to like Oda's art style.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm

And that's your opinion! I respect that.

(I like the more..detailed drawings, like BLEACH and Fairy Cube!)
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby AsianBlossom » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Thanks everybody! I bought the first book today. I really don't mind the blood much, especially since it's in black and white. If it were in color, I would probably mind a little, and if it were gore, I would mind it very much so, but so far I like how the series is going. And I really don't mind the (perhaps a little bizarre?) art style; it just fits with this series. Now, I'm picky about the artwork with other series...XD

But yeah; thanks again, everyone!

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Netbug009 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:06 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1185085) wrote:You guys all suck. :P One Piece is highly entertaining, and very emotional. Also, I happen to like Oda's art style.

SOMEBODY FINALLY AGREES WITH ME! :hug:

Anyways, I love One Piece. If you're wondering about content, here's a list from what I know from reading some volumes up to 16 and watching the anime for a while. some for already know, but what the heck.:

-The biggest issue is violence. There's a lot of blood. All kinda fantasy violence though.
-Sexual humor is low, but there are some characters who wear skimpy clothings and a sexual joke on rare occasion.
-The main character's powers and powers of other characters come from a food called the Devil Fruit, but there really isn't much satanic about it. That's just what they're called.
-Some cussing in earlier issues, but it pretty much all vanishes later.
Icon credit to dried_frog_icons on livejournal.
Netbug009

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:50 am

Well, it looks like this is my brother's series...he has the first four books now, but I still like this series a lot. Whenever he's done with a book, I get to read it next, and I don't mind the blood too much because it's in black and white.

AsianBlossom

Postby Kaboom » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Yes, One Piece is a great, epic series. Some people will complain about it's art style being less "realistic" or "hardcore" compared to others, but... it's not supposed to be. While it can get pretty emotional and intense at times, One Piece is, at it's core, a fun, light-hearted adventure series, and the unique art style reflects that.

One warning thought... It's LONG. Viz is at what... Volume 17 right now? Oh, boy. They're not even halfway through. In Japan at the moment, One Piece is at Chapter 485, with some 40-something volumes on the market. It'll likely be years before Viz catches up (it's not their precious Naruto, after all :eyeroll: ), so I'd suggest reading it online once you've read everything they've released so far. You'll want to; it keeps getting better and better. :)
THIS IS A SIGNATURE

(Where am I?! Who are you people?!)
Kaboom

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews