Lead Charecters anyone?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Lead Charecters anyone?

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Throughout my manga reading days I have realised that about 7 times out of 10 my favorite charecter is the leading one.

For example Ichigo in Bleach, and Luffy in One Piece.

Which lead charecters do you love?
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:51 pm

I find that I like a lot of lead characters in some manga, though I tend to lean towards supporting characters in others. Then again, I guess it depends on who you consider a "lead" character. I would say that Otcho from 20th Century Boys is a lead character, and he's my favorite in that series, though I have several other favorites from the same series that are also considered "lead" characters. On the other hand, though, in other series, like Full Moon wo Sagashite, I prefer one of the supporting characters (Meroko) to the female lead. I guess it ultimately depends on the series/type of series.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:35 pm

Onizuka from GTO
Gutts from Berserk
Midou Ban from Getbackers
Manji from Blade of Immortal
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:17 pm

In my case, I almost never like the protagonist best (though my favorites are usually among the important characters). Ichigo, Naruto, Luffy... casts from the same mold, which I do not particularly like.

However, if Otcho counts as a lead character (Naoki Urasawa tends to blur these lines) then that makes one.
uc pseudonym

Postby Debitt » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Main characters usually aren't my favorites, but I do like a good handful of them.

Ex:
Ichinomiya Kantarou from tactics. :3 My favorite by far. He's amazing.
Ikki from Air Gear
Midou Ban from GetBackers
Asakura Yoh from Shaman King.

Out of the other series I follow....my opinion tends to oscillate on Ichigo and Allen Walker. >~>;

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:04 pm

I tend to look at it in much the same manner as UC ~ most manga heroes bore me to death, although I do like Ichigo Kurosaki, L, and Allen Walker. I tend to gravitate away from main heroes also because they're written to be the amazing centerpiece of the hero lineup. It's really annoying. I would love to see a story where the main hero is actually one of the weaker characters.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Well I mixture of characters that are the leading protagonist or some support character in the story.

L from DeathNote
Sagara Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin
Takashi from Prince of Tennis
Alphonse, Roy Mustang, and Jean Havoc from FullMetal Alchemist
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:52 pm

A lot of times I really like the lead characters, but they're usually not my favorite characters.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:03 am

I find that I lean towards the support characters. But there are a few lead characters that I like enough to be considered a favorite. Like...

Ichigo from Bleach.

and...

Gintoki from Gintama.

That's pretty much it. 8D
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Bap » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:00 pm

I usually like lead characters too... xD; I dunno, they get the most time on the series, and that leads to them (usually) being more.. I dunno, having more depth. xD; Like... more history or something. Dx

So for pretty much anything I like, I think I've got at least one main character in my faves.. xD;

Like...

Naruto from... Naruto. D;
Kira Yamato from Gundam SEED.
Ichigo from Bleach. (Though my liking for him is starting to drop. u_u)
Gray from Fairy Tail. :D

etc. 8D
<pritch> jeez
<pritch> sauron couldve got the one ring on ebay for £4.99
<pritch> oh wait
<pritch> excludes delivery to mordor
<fragglet> one does not simply deliver to mordor
Bap

Postby Netbug009 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:16 pm

I'm gonna agree with the topic starter and say Luffy. he's just an awesome character. :D
Netbug009

Postby Mave » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:04 pm

My fav. characters are usually not the lead characters. I mean this in the strictest sense that I favor no other supporting characters as well in that series. Here are some exceptions:

Dr. Asada (Team Medical Dragon) - he's something like Dr. House in House except he's hot and doesn't have a crutch
Train (BlackCat) - Funny and yet cool guy, I love the way he handles his gun. He also keeps his angst at bay and moves on.
Asuma (Yakitate Japan) - Genius yet humble baking expert whose goals never gets sidetracked no matter how everyone around him behaves (very pure heart)
Mizuki (HanaKimi) - The only shoujo character whom I favor without reservations. I usually can't stand the naviety or denseness of shoujo leads but Mizuki's got guts and a good sincere heart (which does not hold back on punches XD).

That's all I can think of for now....
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:30 pm

Mave wrote:Dr. Asada (Team Medical Dragon) - he's something like Dr. House in House except he's hot and doesn't have a crutch

Huh, we read a lot of the same random minor manga. Asada is alright but not my favorite character. I kind of like the American guy for the "evil scheming yet essentially good" factor.
uc pseudonym

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:26 pm

I forgot about L and Gintama!
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby SnEptUne » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Izumi from Full Moon wo Sagashite, プライド from Pride, and all protagonists from "When Present Meet Future".
[SIZE="1"]Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)[/SIZE]
SnEptUne

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:38 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Huh, we read a lot of the same random minor manga. Asada is alright but not my favorite character. I kind of like the American guy for the "evil scheming yet essentially good" factor.

Okay, now you two have me really interested in this series. The thought of a manga with characters that are "like House" and "evil scheming yet essentially good" gets me excited.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Mave » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:03 am

[OT]

Huh, we read a lot of the same random minor manga. Asada is alright but not my favorite character. I kind of like the American guy for the "evil scheming yet essentially good" factor.
Oooohh...I was wondering who else would read this series. I don't quite know who this American guy you're talking about since all I remember are this bunch of really hapless, unethical or highly stressed out Japanese doctors/interns. And no, there is no discrimination intended here....this series is about medical practitioners in Japan hehehe.

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Okay, now you two have me really interested in this series. The thought of a manga with characters that are "like House" and "evil scheming yet essentially good" gets me excited.
Uh-oh. I was worried this would happen. *whips out disclaimer*

This series is rated for mature audience containing blood, nudity, harsh language and sex.

*crickets*

Alright, I think that the first chapter is the most laden with fanservice (mostly big boobs), nudity and sex. After that, the whole series gets into the more interesting content - medical procedures and the Japan health system (at least one hospital), including the politics. So, the question is can you get over the first chapter without feeling traumatized? Obviously, UC and I didn't sweat over it. I think the blood refers to the operating table (hello, we're talking about surgeons here) while the harsh language....I eh, didn't quite notice it.

Asada is unlike Dr. House where he attracts more girls and displays his kind-heartedness more openly to his patients. But as a whole, I get a kick out of watching him defy the "system" and stress out his interns/colleagues by his unconventional ways. I don't know about UC, but I generally could not predict what Asada would do next since I'm totally clueless in the surgical field.

It's an interesting read, just a bit eh....mature. So you have been warned!
[/OT]
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:05 pm

Running with the off-topic here...

Mave wrote:I don't quite know who this American guy you're talking about since all I remember are this bunch of really hapless, unethical or highly stressed out Japanese doctors/interns.

He's one of the department heads, I can't remember which one (emergency, perhaps?). Other than being taller than many characters, he doesn't look all that different. The most important thing he's done so far is cover the cost of the procedure when Asada saves the people who come in without insurance. Then while they're performing the batista operation, he's the only person watching who understands everything (unlike the hospital director and cronies).

Mave wrote:Alright, I think that the first chapter is the most laden with fanservice (mostly big boobs), nudity and sex.

I rather suspect the first chapter exists mostly to draw in readers of a certain type.

Mave wrote:But as a whole, I get a kick out of watching him defy the "system" and stress out his interns/colleagues by his unconventional ways.

What I want to see is the characters slowly manage to change the system via infiltration. That's why Asada's sponsor (Katou? Can't ever remember her name) is interesting to me, even if I don't like her character overall. Hopefully as the batista succeeds and they gain allies through the various arcs the series will move in this direction.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:16 pm

I don't want to derail this poor thread so I'll create another thread. XD
Mave

Postby Taran » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:38 am

Naruto from naruto
Ichigo from bleach
and Nate from rebound
Taran

Postby Tommy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:24 pm

Two words:

"Spike"

...should I even bother with the second one?
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby minakichan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Hm, I have to think about it.

So I've noticed that when it comes to mainstream shounen anime, I think that I often like lead characters that the fandom generally loathes. I... I have no clue why. Sometimes idiocy, obnoxiousness, and egotism can be kind of cute?
Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto)
Echizen Ryouma (Prince of Tennis)

For shoujo and jyousei, I only like main characters who are cool and clever or sarcastic or really mean >D
Sakurano Tazusa (Ginban Kaleidoscope)
Qin Caisheng (Divine Melody)
Kou Shuurei (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
Makino Tsukushi (Hana Yori Dango)

And then for seinen, particularly anything that involves government conspiracies and the like, I LOVE main characters who are like take-action lone heroes (especially if they're fugitives on the run. Don't ask; I don't know). Those are my favorite kinds of characters EVER.
Hei (Darker than BLACK)
Tenma Kenzou (Monster)
Endou Kenji (20th Century Boys)

Total exceptions:
Romeo and Juliet (Romeo X Juliet)
Taikoubou (Houshin Engi)
Komiyama Yoh (Koukou Debut)
Koizumi Risa (Lovely Complex)
minakichan

Postby KBMaster » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 am

I tend to choose the main characters as my ABSOLUTELY favorite character, but not in all cases.

For example, Edward is my favorite character in Full metal Alchemist, but Rukia is my favorite in Bleach. Or Renji. I can't choose.
KBMaster

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews