Arina Tanemura Short Story!? Where did this come from!?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Arina Tanemura Short Story!? Where did this come from!?

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:07 pm

*Sends up the Ashley signal*

So, I was browsing around in Walmart today when I noticed a copy of Shoujo Beat in the book section. Now, I don't subscribe to the magazine, 'cause I only like about a third of all the manga they syndicate, so it just seems like a waste to pay for a lot of manga I'll never read. However, when I get a chance to flip through it, I'll take the opportunity.

And that's when it hit me. I picked it up, and there was an Arina Tanemura illustration staring straight up at me saying "And you thought you knew me." For a dillusional instant, I was like "That's Gentleman's Alli--No, it's not! What the gingersnap is that!?"

Anways, apparently it's called Shojo Eve. Has anybody read it? I haven't heard anything about it. . .
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:47 pm

XD I saw the short and thought, "Ooh, I wonder when this'll be on CAA."
I wasn't blown away, but it had some funny scenes, was deeper than I initially gave it credit for.
It's a clean, Tanemura quality one-shot.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:08 pm

No, I've never heard of this. o_o I know she has a compilation of short stories called Firecracker is Melancholy, but I've never heard of "Shoujo Eve". I should try tracking it down and reading it sometime. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:52 pm

Yeah, I don't THINK it's related to Firecracker is Melancholy. Atleast, I can't find any connection between the two. Furthermore, atleast the art on the cover of shoujo beat looked much more like Tanemura's recent work, like Gentleman's Alliance, rather than old stuff like Jeanne. I was just surprised to see that there was a Tanemura short I'd never atleast HEARD of. It snuck up on me, sneaky little one shot.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:44 pm

No, it is not from FIM.

From what I can tell, since Tokyopop has picked up a lot of Tanemura's stuff, they're really pushing her. I think they may have contracted this exclusively (which is impressive), and I know they had her featured at ComicCon 07 (they even gave away free stuff for everyone who bought her products) and they will feature an exclusive interview with her in the SB Aug 07 magazine.
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:12 pm

So that's the full story. I wondered if it might be an exclusive, since I could find next to no information anywhere about it. Well, bravo to Viz for their initiative. I look forward to reading it.

Mangafanatic

Postby dyzzispell » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 pm

I read it, it was cute. According to the Shojo Beat it was published in, THAT's the only place you can find it right now. Maybe they'll include it in a future release of Gentlemen's Alliance or something, who knows.
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Ashley » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Yeah, I read it and thought it was well worth the $5 I spent to get it. Plus, I was surprised how big a difference a bigger page made in terms of definition. I wish I could read more Tanemura this way!

Plus, wasn't the recipe for ohagi just absolutely scrumptious? I can't wait to try it.
Ashley

Postby Kairi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Yeah, I also picked up the August issue of Shojo Beat just for the Arina Tanemura story! XD I had heard about it when it was first published in Ribon, but... totally wasn't expecting to see it over here so soon. I really enjoyed reading it, especially after being so let down by Shinshi Doumei Cross. I loved the characters and it had a lot of funny parts in it!

Also, has anyone else heard about the NEWEST Arina Tanemura one-shot? The title is apparently Umi no Chikyuugi Nocturne which would translate to something like, "The Sea's Global Nocturne". Here's the only picture I've found of it so far:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Kayleigh14/extra07kv9.jpg

I'm sure that it'll also be picked up by Shojo Beat, since they've been licensing several of her series lately. Thank God. X3
Kairi

Postby minakichan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:21 pm

She's shoujo monthly-phonebook. Mangaka like that do one-shots all the time.

I'm happy that SB/SJ are featuring more one-shots. Even though I read neither.
ImageImage
minakichan

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews