Airgear Discussion (spoilers chap 146+)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Debitt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Out of curiosity, if the series weren't to end with the Gram Scale tournament, where would you prefer it to go instead?

:B Personally, while the tournament plot device is obviously cliche, I don't think I would mind it if the character development continued on well enough to compensate for the otherwise predictable conclusion. (of course, this is coming from a Shaman King fan.) I know I'd like to see Kazu kick some serious butt.

...maybe Oh!Great could just boot the tournament idea and make getting to the top of Trophalum one big freaking free for all, with 100% unrefereed violence and a side of Nike getting his butt handed to him. But only if he doesn't, uh, pull a Naruto/D.Gray-man and have people going "D:< Go on ahead, while I play hero!"

Then I'd be sad forever.

(Note: I will never again post in this thread while conscious only because of my bottle of Mt. Dew)

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:16 pm

Debitt wrote:Out of curiosity, if the series weren't to end with the Gram Scale tournament, where would you prefer it to go instead?

Any non-formulaic plot, really. Characters with opposing goals that act and fight without the rigid one on one structure of a tournament. I like to see battles where other people can come in and change things instead of just yelling or narrating from the sidelines. The most recent battle was a good example in this regard.

Debitt wrote:I know I'd like to see Kazu kick some serious butt.

Indeed. For a second when he pulled out the Regalia several chapters ago I thought he was implying he had already mastered them, but that turns out not to be the case. I'm a bit worried that with the Gram Scale being so soon we won't get to see our characters in evolved form.

But then again, if Bleach has taught us anything it's that a week is an eternity.
uc pseudonym

Postby Debitt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:29 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Indeed. For a second when he pulled out the Regalia several chapters ago I thought he was implying he had already mastered them, but that turns out not to be the case. I'm a bit worried that with the Gram Scale being so soon we won't get to see our characters in evolved form.

The closeness of the Gram Scale worried me a bit too, but at the same time, I'm actually quite glad that getting the Flame Regalia didn't make Kazu instantly amazing. He might not have the natural knack that Ikki has, but that's not what's endearing about his character. Kazu's a dedicated guy, and I feel like it'd be a bit of a sellout if he didn't get to be King material through that same dedication.

Debitt

Postby MasterDias » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Debitt wrote:Out of curiosity, if the series weren't to end with the Gram Scale tournament, where would you prefer it to go instead?

I wouldn't mind if he expanded more on that "Gravity Children" thing.

The closeness of the Gram Scale worried me a bit too, but at the same time, I'm actually quite glad that getting the Flame Regalia didn't make Kazu instantly amazing. He might not have the natural knack that Ikki has, but that's not what's endearing about his character. Kazu's a dedicated guy, and I feel like it'd be a bit of a sellout if he didn't get to be King material through that same dedication.

Yeah, after everything that has happened, Kazu deserves to have a major battle or whatever in this tournament.

Meanwhile, who do I not really want to see fight anymore?
the kid who is named after rice balls...

Onigiri vs. Gorgon Shell
Worst... fight... ever.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mave » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:17 am

Oh I SO did not get that last tournament. Especially the whole thing with those old foggies and the intervention of the eh...neutral Tuners (young mechanic cute girls) group.

Am I the only one who is more lost than ever? It seems that Ikki's group lost to the old foggies and now, they're retraining for something else?

Or did everyone drop out from reading this series? Wouldn't blame ya...I'm mostly reading it for the art now.
Mave

Postby Debitt » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:11 am

I'm probably equally as confused about the outcome of the White Wolves Clan match, but taking a stab:

My guess is that they lost, though the outcome of the match wasn't made into a huge deal because winning, in this case, wasn't the plot point that Oh!Great was going for. Kururu decided to intervene with TTT after Kanon told her "Victory makes a person's judgment become dull, and the change to conquer is lost completely" -- so she intended to tip the scales with her tuning ability to make Ikki see that he isn't invincible, and that he'll have to learn and adapt in order to get to the top of Trophaeum.

...at least, that was the conclusion I reached after a caffeine fueled late night up on AIM. :X I think right now they're training mainly for the Gram Scale, and in Kazu's case, to use the Flame Regalia. I'll admit they've hit another tedious point in the series where they're 'still on Namek' and all, but gosh, I've said it before and I'll probably keep saying it because I'm a ridiculous fangirl -- I'm keeping tabs on the series because I want to see Kazu start kicking rear so badly.

Debitt

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm glad this match is over and done; I want to see the characters develop and get closer to Sora and the other superlative AG riders.

Debitt wrote:My guess is that they lost, though the outcome of the match wasn't made into a huge deal because winning, in this case, wasn't the plot point that Oh!Great was going for. Kururu decided to intervene with TTT after Kanon told her "Victory makes a person's judgment become dull, and the change to conquer is lost completely" -- so she intended to tip the scales with her tuning ability to make Ikki see that he isn't invincible, and that he'll have to learn and adapt in order to get to the top of Trophaeum.

That's my understanding. They lost the first set, then got their act together and won the second. When Kururu intervened the old guys team barely won the last match, but their boss cut up the contract that the main characters would have had to sign. So the match is over and we have our plot point. Moving on.

Debitt wrote:I'm keeping tabs on the series because I want to see Kazu start kicking rear so badly.

One day... one day...
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:05 am

Did everyone drop the series after Kazu's decision to join the Let's Get Naked and Go Nuts with Fanservice cult? That was one long pointless section...=_=;;

The only part I enjoyed was Akito fighting in the water and even, that had a relatively naked girl. Cows.

Oh how I long to see a girl clothed and with a flat chest again......
Mave

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:46 am

Eh the cult thing sort of had a plot point to it eventually (waking him up to his road or bettering it). Odd way to go about it and long, to be sure, but now the plot moving again... in very odd directions.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Debitt » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:34 am

Kazu got to kick butt. It was great character development, and that's all I was really asking for. I actually found the stuff with Agito to be waaaaay more pointless. Retcon third personality that adds little to the overall character for the WIN!

...except not. >: Actually, I'm mostly OK with Rindo as a character, I just highly object to the randomness behind him.

Also, the nudists are a great way to get people interested.

"So in Naruto they like, fought Itachi and stuff!" "Yeah? Well in Air Gear there are nude cultists and Barack Obama!"

Debitt

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:49 pm

I like the fact that Sano is apparently back and no one really cares.

Mave wrote:Did everyone drop the series after Kazu's decision to join the Let's Get Naked and Go Nuts with Fanservice cult? That was one long pointless section...=_=]
We did get to see Ikki versus Kazu have a "lol physics" fight.

Debitt wrote:"Yeah? Well in Air Gear there are nude cultists and Barack Obama!"

So... "John Omaha," eh?
uc pseudonym

Postby Debitt » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Sano/John Omaha = best pairing ever. d('.'d )

(if anyone had any doubt, yes, this is entirely in jest)

Debitt

Postby Mave » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Oh ok fine, I guess the nudist cult had some point to it but I guess I found it odd that Kazu needed *that* in order to wake up? LOL Don't get me wrong, I like Kazu and I'm glad for him but when a female like me (whom in general couldn't care less for nudity) is actually distracted by the fanservice, that says a lot I think.

UC, I did realize that Sano is back. It would be funnier if the Fire King came back and no one still cared.
Mave

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:31 pm

I haven't really read the series in awhile. Frankly, I find Oh Great's story telling skills nearly-incoherent and downright strange at times. At this point, I've reached the conclusion that the man's a much better artist than a writer.

But the Barack Obama thing sounds amusing.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews