Peach Girl, Red River, Her Magesty's Dog

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Peach Girl, Red River, Her Magesty's Dog, Wallflower

Postby shojoiscool2 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:39 am

Has anyone read these? Any thoughts on how good they are and any objectional material. I just finished a couple of my manga series and I'm looking for replacements.
shojoiscool2

Postby Alice » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Not sure about most of them. I think Peach Girl isn't too bad, but I haven't really read enough to know. I looked into Red River, because I thought the art was cool, but it seems to revolve around sex quite a lot. The reviews on Amazon made it sound like it was explicit, too.

Hope you find some good stuff! ^_^
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:26 pm

Her Majesty's Dog is one of my favorite mangas, actually. It doesn't have much in the way of generally objectionable material. It is fairly heavy with Japanese Occult, that being the basis of the story, but in the same way that InuYasha or other purely fantasy manga are. It isn't quite as cheery as InuYasha, but it is not particularly dark, either. The main characters are likeable people, for all their oddities, which helps make it a good read.

No opinions on the others. They are things I've flipped through quickly at the bookstore and not been pulled into reading.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:58 am

Was "majesty" intentionally misspelled in the thread title?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:56 pm

Peach Girl is actually pretty clean but later on it deals with mature sexual themes like teen pregnancy and infidelity.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Aka-chan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:08 am

I only somewhat know Red River out of the three you listed, and, yeah, it's pretty heavy on the sexual themes and violence. It's not just sex and gore, though, it's based roughly on actual ancient history, and I found the characters quite interesting. I haven't had a chance to read a lot of the volumes, but I thought the ones I could get my hands on were well done, and it approaches its subject matter in context. There's a war going on and lots of political intrigue, hence the violence. In those days, it was a given that royalty (particularly the higher-up males) would sleep around a bit and have concubines, etc., hence the sexual themes.

Also related to the time period, there are plenty of references to heathen gods, as that was what that nation believed at the time. One villain also practices dark magic.

Really, it's up to you if you want to read it. It's not gratuitous, but there is a lot of potentially objectionable content.
Aka-chan

Postby Puguni » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:30 pm

There's a lot of drama in Peach Girl that it's addicting. It's to the point where you kind of want Sae to drop dead. It's a lot like a soap opera, I think, and some people don't like that.

It is funny at times too; Kiley makes sure of that.

Objectionable content is mentioned above by everyone else.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews