Battle Royale

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Battle Royale

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:39 pm

Here is the review for the Battle Royale manga: http://www.christiananime.net/manga_reviews.php?display=242
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 15, 2007 12:19 pm

I don't know if you knew this, but I figure I post this anyway. It highlights some major differences between the NA version and the original version.
An English-language adaptation of the publication, published in the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom in a multi-volume format by TOKYOPOP, was extensively rewritten by Keith Giffen, whose script does not completely follow the original comic.[2]

The major difference between the Japanese and TOKYOPOP version is that Giffen rewrote the BR program as a Reality TV show program, rather than keeping it in tune with the BR Act, which leaves plotholes through the panels of the manga, especially in Volume #15. This can be partially attributted to the fact that when TOKYOPOP had released Volume #1, the Japanese Battle Royale was up to Volume #9 at that point, thereby not giving TOKYOPOP or Giffen ample material to prove that their rewrite would backfire.

According to TOKYOPOP editor Mark Paniccia, in the Newsarama article:

'For adapting the work, Giffen was given a tight Japanese-to-English translation of the story, but his assignment was by no means just to tweak a translation. "I told him to do what he felt he had to do", Paniccia said. "I told him to Giffenize it."'

To which Giffen responds:

'"It's a good story that Takami is telling", Giffen said. "What I do is go in and make bad scenes that much worse. I loved the movie of Battle Royale, and also love the manga. I just wanted to do it right. I wanted to do justice to it, and I knew I couldn't get away with doing a straight translation, because it would be horrifyingly bad."'

In April 2006, Tim Beedle, a former associate editor of Battle Royale, stated on the TOKYOPOP Messageboard the reasoning behind the decision to have a fairly loose adaptation:

'Prior to starting work on the first volume of Battle Royale, its editor (Mark Paniccia, who has since left TOKYOPOP) made a decision to hire Keith Giffen, a well-known American comic book writer, to provide a much looser adaptation than usual. He made this decision for a variety of reasons, but two seemed to be more prominent than the rest. First, due to BR's extreme content and M rating, it was going to be a tough sell. (Some of the large chains refuse to carry M-rated books.) Hiring a known writer could help compensate for this by driving sales. Second, more than any other book we were publishing at the time, BR had the potential to find a crossover audience in the direct market among American comic book readers, who often are adverse to trying manga.'
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed May 16, 2007 5:14 am

Good thing I don't want to read this one...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 16, 2007 7:18 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I don't know if you knew this, but I figure I post this anyway.

I didn't know Giffen was responsible for this change, but I was generally aware of it. That is probably worth including in the review, but I should get more information first (I tried Wikipedia, but... well, you know why it wasn't helpful). The main question is the content of the original... were the results merely aired on television? I can see how most of the reality TV references were simply textual.

Oddly enough, I can't remember the problems in volume 15.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 27, 2007 8:10 pm

I have no stinkin clue, lol. I only saw the two movies.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:33 pm

Man, this title is just plain wrong in so many ways. I will definitely avoid it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby memmer66 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:04 pm

If you are wary of content, then skip the comic all together and go to the movie. The movie is excellent, 10/10. The violence is about 7/10, the language is 3/10, sexual content is 1/2/10; simply a reference to something, nothing else. My personal favorite movie along with MIYAZAKI'S SPIRITED AWAY. Essential film along with SUICIDE CIRCLE and THE DESCENT. A must-watch.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Sohma » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:53 pm

I don't think I'll ever be picking up this manga ;) I'm glad this review was posted, it's very helpful.
[SIZE="6"]ily.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Genesis 27:4
"When you prepare the tasty food that I love, bring it to me, and I will eat. Then I will bless you before I die."[/SIZE]
Sohma

Postby minakichan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:22 pm

I really, really want to read Battle Royale. I heard it was called "Lord of the Flies for the current generation," and the story and the themes are so intriguing. Unfortunately, I am a total wuss when it comes to blood. ;___;

Does anyone know if the novel is less... graphic?
minakichan

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:08 pm

I have not read the novel, but I would think that by definition it would be less graphic (unless a description of blood bothers you as much as a drawing of it). The Wikipedia article also has comparative statements concerning the two that suggest it has fewer graphic elements, if you are interested in reading those.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:10 pm

minakichan wrote:I really, really want to read Battle Royale. I heard it was called "Lord of the Flies for the current generation," and the story and the themes are so intriguing. Unfortunately, I am a total wuss when it comes to blood. ;___;

Does anyone know if the novel is less... graphic?

Try The Drifting Classroom. People always try to compare "Battle Royale" to "Lord of the Flies" and say stuff like that. Being exposed to both Battle Royale and The Drifting Classroom, I'd say The Drifting Classroom makes stronger comparisons to Lord of the Flies. Reason being that both portray children stranded by themselves without being initially forced to kill each other.

That and I find it more entertaining.
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews