Fanservice - Scum of the Mangaverse

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Fanservice - Scum of the Mangaverse

Postby DrNic » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:18 am

Yeah, so basically, I just bought some manga. I was just looking to buy either something cutesy and girly or adventurous and action packed, but once again, I'm faced with another shameless older-guy-walks-in-on-an-underage-girl-having-a-bath scene. Why?! What is the point?! I just wanted something funny :( I also brought something called Claymore - haven't read it yet but I'm dreading the content now >_<

So yeah, scrap that, I'm looking for some girly drama story or something that won't have any underage girls or blatent fanservice in it. Just a normal romatic story or something, don't mind mild nudity as long as it's not shameless (as with the above) - just something with no fanservice! Just once! 'falls down on the floor and bleeds to death'

Oh, was looking at Vampire Knight. Anyone read that? Sounds good, and I like vampires. Is it good?

(Yeah, and hi everyone, haven't been on in a while :sweat: )
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:31 am

From what I've flipped through, Claymore has a fair bit of nudity, but it's all circumstantial, not fanservice. UC Pseudonym is the one to talk to about Claymore in detail.
Fish and Chips

Postby The Doctor » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:09 pm

Fanservice sucks, yes....unless you're drawn to that. Or...if you ARE drawn to it but don't wanna be drawn to it but are drawn to it nonetheless.

Anyone wanna sing Billy Joel's "I Go To Extremes"?

I wish there were an easy solution man. Your best bet at this point is check out the manga reviews here on CAA. That'd be your best course of action, me thinks. And pray for wisdom on these things, a better course of action.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:31 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:UC Pseudonym is the one to talk to about Claymore in detail.

That I am. DrNic, I think you'll probably be okay with it (though tell me, I'm curious). There are a few scenes where the protagonist isn't wearing anything due to bathing, but she's generally in the water and it's from behind - there's no sense of the gratuity (though the scenes didn't have to be that way) of typical fanservice. The series has almost no sexual content for a fair bit.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:56 pm

if you don't mind an action series, try Fullmetal Alchemist.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:07 pm

jon_jinn wrote:if you don't mind an action series, try Fullmetal Alchemist.

Seconded. Definitely a worthwhile series.
Fish and Chips

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:33 am

Fish and Chips wrote:
jon_jinn wrote:if you don't mind an action series, try Full Metal Alchemist.

Seconded. Definitely a worthwhile series.

Definitely! I'm currently reading it and loving it. There's no fan service, really, but there is one character who dresses immodestly. But there's a 'reason' for it and she is a villain.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Actually, I've read Hiromu Arakawa (FMA's mangaka) is careful to keep sexual content out of her work. So that one character looks the way they look because she refused to depict her any more "Accurately," like she had done with the other villains.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:59 pm

some other recommendations i have are:
Whistle (a sports manga if you don't mind...)

Hunter x Hunter (this one does have some suggestive themes and one brief scene of a guy talking on a phone with some immodestly dressed dolls in the background. however, it's a VERY good action/adventure manga.)

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:31 pm

hmmm If I remember correctly..Vampire Knight...isn't all that clean.. I only read one chapter of it out of one issue of Shojo Beat...and... I think...there was almost a violent..."scene" >_< not sure though I can't remember...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Actually, I've read Hiromu Arakawa (FMA's mangaka) is careful to keep sexual content out of her work. So that one character looks the way they look because she refused to depict her any more "Accurately," like she had done with the other villains.

Right. I would say that FMA has zero fanservice because of the general way that it is presented. And I'll give the series a third recommendation.

jon_jinn wrote:Hunter x Hunter (this one does have some suggestive themes and one brief scene of a guy talking on a phone with some immodestly dressed dolls in the background. however, it's a VERY good action/adventure manga.)

You may want to mention how violent the series is. While it isn't terribly gory, the body count is one of the highest, especially if you mean characters that have some personality and are involved before getting killed off.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:47 pm

quite right UC. Hunter x Hunter is an extremely violent series. there's lots of killing in some pretty disturbing fashions. as i am currently doing a review on the manga, i gave the violence rating a 9/10 so you might not want to look into this one...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mave » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:39 pm

I have a question: Do characters with huge breasts count as fanservice? I was thinking of Bleach and Naruto as decent titles but images of certain female characters leaped into my mind (Tsunade, Orihime, Matsumoto, Kūkaku) and I froze.

I don't have an issue against huge breasted women (come on, it's a reality....some women naturally have bigger breasts and no one should condemn them). But perhaps it's the way they are portrayed in a certain series which can be disturbing, which brings me to ask.....for those who have read Bleach and Naruto, would you count the way these women are portrayed in the series as fanservicey? And if so, how so/why?
Mave

Postby MasterDias » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:11 pm

I suppose it counts as a form of fanservice, although I don't have an issue with it personally. Other than that, I don't have much to say, as I haven't thought about it a good deal.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby rocklobster » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:15 pm

The Seikai Trilogy has one bathing scene, but it's tastefully presented. However, this is a romance manga, so I don't know what you'd think of that.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby DrNic » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:30 pm

Whoah! Lots and lots of help, thanks guys. Yeah, sorry bout that, was having a bad moment and needed somewhere to take it out, seemed like the best place. I've just read through Pricess Ninja Scroll (vol 1) and started Claymore.

I was really impressed with Claymore, and I've only read the first chapter! (usually takes me a few chapters to get into a story) So yeah, I've got high expectations for the rest of it ^^

As for Full Metal Alchemist, I've had a couple of friends suggest it to me and it sounds pretty awesome. I'll probably buy the Anime though as I watch more than I read.

And yeah, personally I can't watch anime series with characters with huge breasts. For example, Final Fantasy Unlimited - it might not have much nudity or violence (don't quote me on that, I've only seen bits) - but to me it was one giant fanservice fest >_< I guess thats based on personal opinion though.

I'm alright with violence by the way, I've just finished watching Pans Labyrinth and thought it was excellent, so yeah. I guess that would be concidered as violent.

So, is Vampire Knight nudy in a fanservice way or constructive way...or not at all? Either way I'm going to buy the cosplay costume off ebay and wear it to university because it's awesome, and I'm just that sad XD

Thanks very much everyone ^^
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:23 pm

Mave wrote:I have a question: Do characters with huge breasts count as fanservice? I was thinking of Bleach and Naruto as decent titles but images of certain female characters leaped into my mind (Tsunade, Orihime, Matsumoto, K?kaku) and I froze.

On one hand, I support fairly selective definitions for terms, and fanservice is generally used to denote a plot element (shower scene, very specifically placed slash to clothing, etc) instead of a general element. But on the other hand, I wouldn't have a problem with an expanded definition, though if we include that we should probably include some other things it would be unpopular to mention.

But on the other hand, there is very little doubt in my mind why the authors have made the anatomical choices they have. So in another sense it definitely qualifies. I can ignore this kind of thing on the Bleach/Naruto level, but unfortunately those aren't the worst offenders. It gets disgusting, really.

DrNic wrote:I'll probably buy the Anime though as I watch more than I read.

Then you may be interested in knowing that there will be a Claymore anime coming out before too long.

DrNic wrote:I was really impressed with Claymore, and I've only read the first chapter! (usually takes me a few chapters to get into a story) So yeah, I've got high expectations for the rest of it ^^

That's good to hear. If you continue to enjoy the series there will be three of us on CAA reading it, possibly even enough for a thread.
uc pseudonym

Postby termyt » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:53 am

Fanservice is popular and will remain a staple of anime and mange. My thought is it only becomes a problem if the the service seems to be a major plot device - as if it is one of the main reasons for doing the manga in the first place.

The bathscenes described from Claymore are certainly fanservice, but the question to be asked is whether the scenes are a significant distraction for you from the rest of the series. That would seem to be a pretty personal decision.

Personally, I don't mind nudity, but dislike sexually charged scenes whether they contain nudity or not.

All that said, for "cute and girl" minus "weird bath scenes" check out Kodocha (aka Sana's Stage, aka Kodomo no Omocha). There's a weird bit in the beginning about Sana "dating" her adult manager, but it's quite harmless.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat May 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Yes, fanservice is a big part of anime/manga. Claymore does have that kind of stuff but it has a purpose. How about I'S? That has fanservice through the roof! Pantyshots, GIGANTIC breasts, nudity, and that's the tip of the iceberg. No wonder it's now shrinkwrapped.

The My-HiME manga has a surprising amount of fanservice. So that's why it has a M 18+ Rating from Tokyopop.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Kai Robin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:27 am

Hmmm.......

I think to most guys the female body is obviously the most gorgeous thing in the universe and there's nothing wrong with admitting that, we're guys after all. I think what strikes me as "disturbing" or "annoying" is when you rob the female form of any grace and only portray it as a purely sexual object.

For the millionth time I'm ALWAYS annoyed by a bikini-claden warrior, or a warrior who just wears nothing in general, your entering a war zone, why would in bob's name would you wear a bikini!!?!?! Ie. Mai Shurina...shirina..something like that (don't play that series) Ivy Valentine from Soul Calibur...ect....or characters with breasts larger than their skull ala Rangiku from bleach.

If we're talking about pure physical form, girls with a sense of elegance are far more attractive, Innphy from Ninety-Nine Nights, Xianghua from Soul Calibur (well, II/III at least), Lenneth Valkyrie from Valkyrie profile...ect

anyways my 2 cents
Kai Robin

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:58 am

i recommend rurouni kenshin, for the most part there's very little fanservice and while it is primarily an action based story, there is a very present romantic aspect to its storyline concerning two of the main characters
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:06 am

At the moment, I'm reading a series (Kitchen Princess) that I hope to write the review for when the whole thing is finished (book three comes out at the end of this month...aaargh!! Why can't it come sooner??? >.< ), and it's a cutesy girl drama without a mega helping of fanservice. So far, all I've seen is when the main character, wearing a dress, is climbing out a window and down a tree, and some boy is walking by underneath and looks up. She screams and tries to move her skirt to cover, saying, "Don't look!!" Oh yeah, and then when she's delivering him food later he's in the process of putting a shirt on, and the two become totally embarrassed. But anyways, that's all I've seen so far that I could consider "fanservice". But as for the rest of the series, since it's unfinished, I can't say much. Meaning that if you decide to look into this title and a later book turns out to be trash (though I don't anticipate that happening), you can't blame me.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:32 pm

Death Note is violent, and not fanservicey, however there's a little fanservice in Volume 9.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby ChronoShinobi » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:27 pm

hmm, i have to agree, fan service and nudity are big problems for me, so i have gone out of my way to avoid most of it, but there are always exceptions. That is one of the reasons that i have never wanted to buy anime/manga off the shelf.

As for suggestions, Battle doll angelic layer is relatively clean, the worst being the scientist that is constantly misconstrued as being a perv (he's definitely not) and the young girl accusing her older brother of "bad thoughts". Tsubasa is reletively clean as well, nothing bad i can remember in it. Megatokyo (a webmanga) is worth a try, but there are parts that you might question...
ChronoShinobi

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:01 am

I agree with Megatokyo having some questionable parts. But I too have a problem with fanservice even though I like Full Metal Panic (which has some stylized nudity/fanservice).
ilikegir33

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:48 am

I nominate Death Note again
Trigun Maximum
Azumanga Daioh (well....the fan service is still funny...it's just girls wanting thier MAR
Someday's Dreamers (for the most part)
And if you arent totally hung up on "no shoujo", I would try out Kare Kano.

Also I wanted to add this but it's anime - I will watch Witch Hunter Robin. That's pretty clean. Wish it was a manga.
Hitokiri

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews