How yo draw manga.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

How yo draw manga.

Postby Kite » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:45 pm

Does anybody know a good site I could go to to learn?
Kite

Postby inkhana » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:03 pm

The two best I know of are howtodrawmanga.com and polykarbon.com. There are a few others, but these are the most detailed and thoroughto my knowledge.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby c-girl » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:21 pm

I'd actually try a book. This is my suggestion.

"How to draw anime and game characters" That is the books I use. There are five books.
c-girl

Location: Omg! It's a flying bird!!! *runs away while you're distracted*

Postby madphilb » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:29 pm

Most likely there is a financial issue involved, and I know that the local library system her in my area has a few of these books, they're not too common (lots of books on cartooning in general though, which isn't the same).

I was looking at a site today.... hmmm.... oh, yah... the Online Manga University. The pages aren't all complete (though a message saying that the site was just re-formatted came earlier in the month, so I think they do still update it when they can), that site had some interesting tutorials... but I didn't look at the whole thing. Lots of theory (which helps in keeping your Manga from looking like a stick-figure Dilbert comic).

I would suggest checking with your library... If you have a computer catalog, search on terms like Anime and Manga.... Some regular art and illistrating books might be of use too. Without the computer catalog, look for the artsy books (such as "how to draw" type books), and look in that area (they should all/most be in one area of the library as part of the numering system).

I like some of the things they said in the intro to the tutorials at OMU, the bottom line is practice, practice, practice... there are no shortcuts.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews