Zondervan jumps on the manga wagon

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:47 pm

The Doctor wrote:Is anyone here at all interested in being a filmmaker or anime writer/director and/or manga author?

Manga author 8D
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Telakyte » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 pm

The Doctor wrote:Is anyone here at all interested in being a filmmaker or anime writer/director and/or manga author?

I was interested in the latter. Perhaps even anime writer. Por que? :sweat:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kyrie Eleison, Christe Eleison
Telakyte

Postby The Doctor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Cause that's what I am too. I'm a filmmaker in both anime and live action. I have a live action project I'm tinkering with and I'm currently looking at this software that students in Japan used to make an entire anime series. It's very reasonable price wise and can even be used to add effects to your movies. It's HASH's Animation Master.

I was just asking cause I wanted to see how many more people were wanting to jump on board the creation train. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Manga author, possibly writer.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:46 pm

Telakyte wrote:I'm not attempting to say Trinity Blood was intended to be somewhat Christian. That's exactly what makes the fiction intriguing.

Right. I was merely clarifying that while it is in no way Christian the premise could be used in that sense.

Telakyte wrote:I understand that Christian morales can be presented, but it's again the principle of what defines "Christian." The term these days is simply to subjective. Hence why the Christian entertainment market suffers from lack of inspiration. It dreads to tread (Ooo nice wording) on anything that might spark too much controversy and face backlash from any assortment of Christian media sources. How many would be alright with the notion of some priest, no matter how outwardly devout, slaying vampires? The gore alone would alienate.

I do agree with you in some senses, and I at times fear that the Christian audience is setting itself up for failure. However, violence doesn't necessitate gore, and I at least enjoy action series for the choreography, not the amount of blood spilled. Recent events have led me to believe Christian consumers and hence Christian publishers will accept stylized violence so long as it serves the central message.

Small steps. If we hope to bring new life to Christian entertainment we need to write works close to the boundaries. Perhaps some day the industry will be such that there could be a more mature Christian title similar to Trinity Blood. That's out of the question right now, but there are plenty of stories to be told that don't require such elements and also aren't fluffy drivel.
uc pseudonym

Zondervan titles

Postby Noblewreck » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Which of the new Zondervan titles do you guys think will be most promising? The art for "Tomo" and for "Time Flies" looks cool. I'll have to check out the stories more before I could recommend one. I'm looking forward to them though.
Noblewreck

Postby Mave » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:35 pm

I don't have a preference among Zondervan titles since the artstyles are more American + some manga influence (e.g. Joey Maduira). I eh....am a bit particular about artstyles. But really, I'll have to wait before I see any of these books distributed in Asia, assuming if that ever happens. I have seen Serenity in some Christian bookstores here though.
Mave

Zondervan Manga

Postby Noblewreck » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:28 am

Cool, Mave, have you seen other Zondervan titles in Asia? :)

I loved Joe Maduira's work on X-men. :thumb: I have all the "Uncanny X-men" during the run of the "Age of Apocolypes" Series. I can see a touch of manga influence in his work.

But isn't what Zondervan is introducing in August closer to "real" manga than Joe Maduira's art? The artist on "Tomo" , for example, has been drawing comics in the Philipines for years. Doesn't the Philipines produce some actual manga? Also an artist on "The Manga Bible" is from Seoul, Korea. Is it manga only if it comes from Japan? I'm not sure how that works. If manga is produce only in Japan then can an American manga fan (such as me) ever be a "real" Manga-ka?

Noblewreck

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:35 pm

That's a big issue of debate. Purists will say that only Japanese artists can create manga. I recognize some general differences but I think too much is made of the terms, overall.

Noblewreck wrote:Which of the new Zondervan titles do you guys think will be most promising?

Kingdoms They've done historical research and they don't seem to be dumbing things down.
Hand of the Morningstar: Potentially complex moral landscape, presuming the Morningstar is Satan in some form (as seems to be hinted strongly). If not, then the plot might actually be complex.

Tomo could go either way for me and the other three would have to be incredible to overcome my dislike of what I've seen so far. I'm a story person; art is only barely relevant for me.
uc pseudonym

Zondervan Titles

Postby Noblewreck » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:30 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]Historcal research, now that's cool. I'll have to check 'em out.

Kindoms kinda reminds me of those 4 volume Bible Comics. This set was done decades ago. Sorta dramatized the Bible in four manga-sized volumns with a traditional American comic book style of drawing. Art very well done. I think my folks still have it. Must ask them about it sometime.

I'm cronologically first a visual artist. But when doing an ash-can a decade or so ago I learned that writing is just as fun. Seems the artist is like the actor and the writer like the screenwriter. The visual artist tends to be the main celebrity. But the writer tends to be the unsung hero, sort of. I think the visuals can definately be relevant though; visual poetry. I mean what would a comic book be without either, good art and good writing? Can the foot say "I don't need you hand."? Must admit though, The substance is in the story. The illustration is like a realized dream -- giving the story flesh so to speak. Frankly in comics or film we need more Christians to write (now more than ever).[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Noblewreck

Postby creed4 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:05 am

I've haven't been impressed with Zondervan since the last version of the NIV but if this starts something then good,
Doctor I have been working on stories for year but never have published, but willing to show them if asked
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:38 am

Ooh, looky, they're coming out this month. I'll give them a once-over next time I go to the Christian bookstore.
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:28 pm

Some of them are already available, though I wouldn't bank on them being at your local store just yet. Because I want to support the industry I'm ordering at least the first volumes of the titles and crossing my fingers as to their quality. Kingdoms and Tomo should be arriving before too long and the others will be later.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:07 pm

... O_O these look absolutely HORRIBLE! Im sorry but I am COMPLETELY cynical about this...

I was ALMOST ok with it until I saw "timeflys" and "son of samson" Ok those have to be the two most RIDICULOUS ideas I have ever seen...

Especially since I don't remember samson ever having a son... and even if he did have a son his son wouldn't have super strength.

As for the topic of us going out and creating good christian entertainment... Well I agree...

For me though I would rather be A christian who produces high quality manga then a Christian manga producer. Does that make sense?

Its like the band 'The Fray'. They are all christians and they make music written from a christian world view but its not specifically "christian music"

Thats what I hope to do someday.... I hope to make high quality manga and write it from my world view which happens to be christian. But I don't plan on making a "christian manga"

I do have to say christian manga market would be nice if I was looking for something that would inspire my faith... but until zondervan makes something better I won't be buying any of theirs.
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:07 pm

Vernhal wrote:I was ALMOST ok with it until I saw "timeflys" and "son of samson" Ok those have to be the two most RIDICULOUS ideas I have ever seen...

I'm not ecstatic about these either, but I have to ask a question: are you under ten years old? That is the target audience for those two series. Don't expect brilliant, multi-layered literature. Son of Samson falls under the age-old genre of "Bible fanfiction." TimeFlyz... alright, I'm not defending that. It's ridiculous.

Vernhal wrote:Especially since I don't remember samson ever having a son... and even if he did have a son his son wouldn't have super strength.

That would be why it has the "fiction" label. Note that Samson's son didn't inherit strength, it was also given him by God (according to one of the profile things).

I bear a significant portion of cynicism as well, but please don't write off all the series before you've read them. This stands a much better chance than any previous attempt and if they fail, I have sincere doubts that there will ever be a Christian manga industry.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Yea I understand what you are saying about son of samson but I doubt I will be reading it ever!

I might check out "kingdoms" and "morningstar" But I doubt I will purchase them!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:15 pm

While I have my own cynicisms about certain series (not necessarily Christian ones), I always try to at least--the very least--flip through the book, however quickly.

This way, I could say that I didn't like a book even after I looked through it. XD So it'll be great if everyone could at least give the books a chance at your local B&N or something. I echo UC's last paragraph and can't say enough on how much of a chance professional publishing of Christian "manga" needs right now.

Read then review, it's the best thing you can do to help support the industry! If you don't like it, then don't buy it (protesting with our wallets is the American way ;) ), but still please help out by giving honest feedback.

*steps off her soap box*
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:36 pm

I flipped through a few volumes today...

Tomo: The premise is interesting, I'll admit, and the art is fair. I didn't look into it too much, but I noticed some Japanese term-dropping along the way. Now, this could go either way, as it could be interesting to some and just trying to reinforce the "This is MANGA!!!" aspect of the book.

Son of Samson: Argh. Gag me with a spoon. I don't remember the art much, though.

The Manga Bible: There's simplifying the Bible for younger readers, and dumbing it down. This is an example of the latter.

Kingdoms: VERY refreshing after looking through The Manga Bible. Writing is good, and I like how the artist draws people (though with everyone with wavy black hair, it's a bit hard to differentiate between them). Also the backgrounds are a bit weak. Not half bad, though.

Rise of the Morningstar: Ooh. This one I like. The story reminds me a bit of the later Stormwatch issues...which is a good thing! The linework is very strong, though the toning has that heavy-dotted look that so many American mangas have. This one certainly is promising.

I'll probably be picking up Tomo, Kingdoms and RotM for my school.
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:55 pm

I've read Tomo and Kingdoms in full (the others are on their way). Overall I thought both were decent. Once I've read all six of the first volumes I'll offer a more complete opinion.

SirThinks2Much wrote:I didn't look into it too much, but I noticed some Japanese term-dropping along the way. Now, this could go either way, as it could be interesting to some and just trying to reinforce the "This is MANGA!!!" aspect of the book.

The main character is Japanese and she uses some words mixed in with English. Because they only translate each term once and then use it without explanation I was willing to let it go.

If you liked Morningstar that is probably a good sign. That is the other one that interests me. Son of Samson and TimeFlyz both seem irritating to me and from the sample chapters I've seen I may have serious problems with Manga Bible.
uc pseudonym

Postby Pepper Kittie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:50 pm

I found most of those titles at Christian Supply today. Kingdoms actually looked pretty good, it was fun to skim through it in the store =D Honestly, I'm overjoyed at whatever they do, as long as it's theologically sound. The art style's a little hokey in some of the titles but I think that's because it's directed toward a younger audience. But it's a step in the right direction. Anything to help my relatives to understand that not all manga titles are immoral and dirty ^^; They kinda have a bad image of it. But this might inspire other mangaka who see them in the store to do their own Christian mangas and get them out there. Makes me wanna work harder.
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:38 pm

Saw them all today... Flipped through them all...

I have to say I am a bit more excited about morningstar! I think I will buy this one as well as kingdoms (just to help the market out... even if I don't actually end up liking them) since kingdoms looked really quite good.

tomo's art style bugged me... I don't know about the story. I might check it out more thoroughly later.

Manga bible and time flyz looked ridiculous. I don't plan on investing any more time or money in either.

OH and son of samson... well yeah don't even get me started. I have to say this is probably the worst of all of them in my opinion. The art is just ugh.. Its not even close to being manga style (very western styled characters with no tones) and the story is probably the worst Idea since New coke.

Overall though I was pleasantly surprised. Kingdoms and morningstar actually look worth my time and tomo shows more promise then I originally thought.
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Kuro-Mizu

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:22 pm

I didn't realize I'd never updated in this thread; I've read the first volumes of all the series. To keep it short, I think Hand of the Morningstar is the best and Tomo and Kingdoms are both solid contenders in different genres. MangaBible still rubs me the wrong way and the other two weren't as terrible as I'd expected (but not so good that I'll read any more).
uc pseudonym

Postby Noblewreck » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Haven't seen the Zondervan titles here on the East Coast yet. But at the "Salt Shaker" I did see a couple other manga titles. One of which was "Serenity" Another was a manga called "Messiah Manga". Drawing style was like that of Pokemon's artist(s). Not bad art. Has anyone seen this one. What is it like? Did you like it? Seems to be an illustration of the Gospels.
Noblewreck

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:11 pm

I saw Tomo and Kingdoms today in my book store! Iw as excited to see them! But I dont have the money to buy manga right now...... -_-

Manga Messiah? I have GREAT things about that! I want to get it! It's created by Next. I love them. you can preview them on their site...but I think I forgot the link...:/

It's really great.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Noblewreck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:39 pm

[color="YellowGreen"]Qool. Did a little look up on my own. Sounds great. Apparently came out recently.
Here is a web site talking about MANGA MESSIAH.-->
http://www.mangalife.com/news/PRMANGAMESSIAHANDBIBLE.htm

Next is Japanese artist and writers. Here is their web site.-->
http://www.nextmanga.com[/color]
Noblewreck

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews