Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby RidleyofZebes » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm looking for a good survival/horror manga. I've read all that's out of 'High school of the Dead', and a little of BioMeat. I'm looking for something with Zombies; More along the lines of 'Scientific Disaster' than 'Supernatural Phenomenon'. Any good recommendations, or is HsotD the only good one in that genre?
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby minakichan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:00 pm

I've read a little of King of Thorns, and it seems kind of like that-- Scientific Disaster/ survivor/ horror. It's a genre I'm pretty intrigued with, but I can't find many good titles (but then again, I have a low violence threshold.) Most people have told me it's quite good; no zombies, unfortunately.

So here's a rec request that might be a bit of a stretch-- I love shoujo manga and seinen manga; shounen and josei just don't cut it for me. As usual, my taste in seinen is pretty non-violent, and conspiracies, financial drama, and a lone hero on the wrong side of the law are always great. For shoujo, I like romantic comedies that are a bit fresher and poke fun at stereotypes, with biting and sarcastic characters, but a couple that can still be adorable together.

Any manga out there that cross the two XDDD? \(^o^)/
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby pyro_moogle » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 pm

I am looking for an intelligent manga, that will challenge me.

I have already read Death Note and loved it. Any manga along those lines would be fantastic.
[{ Waste of Paint }]
pyro_moogle

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm

pyro_moogle (post: 1202592) wrote:I am looking for an intelligent manga, that will challenge me.

I have already read Death Note and loved it. Any manga along those lines would be fantastic.

Naoki Urasawa's Monster and 20th Century Boys. The former is licensed and being released right now, and the latter will follow directly after, sometime later this year. They are 18 and 22 volumes, respectively, and they are two of my all time favorites, to boot. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1202594) wrote:Naoki Urasawa's Monster and 20th Century Boys. The former is licensed and being released right now, and the latter will follow directly after, sometime later this year. They are 18 and 22 volumes, respectively, and they are two of my all time favorites, to boot. XD

i second both of those wonderful titles. might i also add a recommendation for Mushishi and Akira. both of which are licensed and are being released, the latter series is already complete.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby pyro_moogle » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks. I am got the first volume of Akira from my local B&N and found 20th Century Boys and began to read that there.

I must say these were great recommendations, thanks!
[{ Waste of Paint }]
pyro_moogle

Postby MomoAdachi » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Can anyone reccomend me any other good magical girl/light fantasy shoujo manga that's legally available in the US? Right now, I have Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, Tokyo Mew Mew, Full Moon Wo Sagishite, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Miracle Girls, Dream Saga, The World Exists For Me, Fruits Basket, Cyber Idol Mink, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, and Zodiac P.I.(long list, I know), and I've enjoyed all of these except Fruits Basket and The World Exists For Me.
As for ratings, I'd prefer no higher than 13+, the lower the better, although I have enjoyed a couple 16+ titles(Utena and Absolute Boyfriend).
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:59 pm

FullMetal Alchemist would make some fine reading material.

And welcome to the site.
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:36 pm

MomoAdachi (post: 1203880) wrote:Can anyone reccomend me any other good magical girl/light fantasy shoujo manga that's legally available in the US? Right now, I have Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, Tokyo Mew Mew, Full Moon Wo Sagishite, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Miracle Girls, Dream Saga, The World Exists For Me, Fruits Basket, Cyber Idol Mink, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, and Zodiac P.I.(long list, I know), and I've enjoyed all of these except Fruits Basket and The World Exists For Me.
As for ratings, I'd prefer no higher than 13+, the lower the better, although I have enjoyed a couple 16+ titles(Utena and Absolute Boyfriend).

I'm surprised after reading a list this long that Cardcaptor Sakura wasn't in there somewhere.

One of my absolute favorites is "Her Majesty's Dog". It's a little darker than most of these, but it ought to fit right in to your collection.

If you want to wander a little farther afield (actually, to something I'm pretty sure is meant for the shounen market, but which is kinda borderline in its style) check out "Hayate the Combat Butler". Not 'magical girl' (it comes close to 'magical boy', actually), but it has the same kind of overall endearing cuteness.

You might also enjoy "Cheeky Angel", which isn't magical girl, and may also not be technically shoujo, but I think should appeal to readers of both genders.

rurounistefan (post: 1208900) wrote:ok i just finished up rurouni kenshin i have all 28 books and every thing, now that its over i don tknow what else to read besides me picking up the new one piece or tsubasa. does anyone have any good sugestions? i dont mind violence and medium language or alchohal and tobacco.

Irrasshaimase!

Rurouni, Tsubasa and One Piece... this is a toughy...

Okay, I'm sending you toward "Her Majesty's Dog" also, for entirely different reasons.

Also, either of the "Fushigi Yugi" series.

And, you may like "School Rumble". Not sure why, but your three examples all have the general sense of 'action manga' without the actual action being the story... School Rumble is a comedy, but often plays off of action manga stereotypes in a way you may enjoy a lot.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby MomoAdachi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:40 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1208912) wrote:I'm surprised after reading a list this long that Cardcaptor Sakura wasn't in there somewhere.

One of my absolute favorites is "Her Majesty's Dog". It's a little darker than most of these, but it ought to fit right in to your collection.

If you want to wander a little farther afield (actually, to something I'm pretty sure is meant for the shounen market, but which is kinda borderline in its style) check out "Hayate the Combat Butler". Not 'magical girl' (it comes close to 'magical boy', actually), but it has the same kind of overall endearing cuteness.

You might also enjoy "Cheeky Angel", which isn't magical girl, and may also not be technically shoujo, but I think should appeal to readers of both genders.

Oops, yeah, I forgot to put CCS on that list, and, anyway, thanks for the reccomendations. I started Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne too, which I'm enjoying, though I can see why it might be considered iffy from a Christian perspective.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:22 pm

rurounistefan (post: 1208900) wrote:ok i just finished up rurouni kenshin i have all 28 books and every thing, now that its over i don tknow what else to read besides me picking up the new one piece or tsubasa. does anyone have any good sugestions? i dont mind violence and medium language or alchohal and tobacco.

seems as if you enjoy manga series w/ lots of sword fights and such. i suggest giving Blade of Immortal a shot. however, it's pretty darn violent and has some pretty strong language.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:23 pm

What is Jing: King of Bandits and why should I read it or burn it.
Fish and Chips

Postby RidleyofZebes » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:31 pm

I believe I'll again put out my request for some good survival\horror titles. minakichan's low-violence threshold is evident in her recommendation, but a good one nonetheless. Are there any more good titles? I'm tellin' ya, good ones of these are hard to find... At least by my methods. :sweat:
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RidleyofZebes

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 pm

RidleyofZebes (post: 1211031) wrote:I believe I'll again put out my request for some good survival\horror titles. minakichan's low-violence threshold is evident in her recommendation, but a good one nonetheless. Are there any more good titles? I'm tellin' ya, good ones of these are hard to find... At least by my methods. :sweat:

Haven't read past the first chapter, but I understand from a friend of mine that Parasyte goes down the survival horror road (if you can stand some early high school comedy). A race of alien parasites land on Earth and begin infesting the human populous. What little I read started off light hearted, but a brief look down the road confirms things get pretty messy.
Fish and Chips

Postby RidleyofZebes » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:32 pm

Ooh... I'll check that out. Thanks! :thumb:
[/color]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RidleyofZebes

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1211028) wrote:What is Jing: King of Bandits and why should I read it or burn it.

An extremely funny series if the particular brand of humor appeals to you. In my experience, it doesn't appeal to everyone. I thought it bore a lot of similarity to Trigun, but a fellow Trigun fan whom I recommended try Jing didn't like it.

The art style is neither realism, but it isn't typical manga either (well, it does have the big-eyes-little-mouth thing going, but other than that, it's pretty original). I love the mangaka's sense of panorama on establishing shots and wide shots, but he spends most of his time closer-up (I suspect to save time. Those wide shots are brutally detailed in some cases.)

Jing does have a Captain Kirk-like tendency to find a cute girl at the center of every new town's plotline, but it's just part of the charm.

Be aware that, just like Trigun and Battle Angel Alita, there are two series, both starting at volume 1.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:14 am

Great, now there are loads of tittles I need to read.. >.<

Anyway, are there any recommendations for adventure Manga tittles? Something with... a quest, or a goal, I suppose. ^^; I'm all for the cliche hero ones, also. 8P
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:29 am

This is Manhwa, but by one of the very top Korean writers:

"Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun" by Sun-Woo Park.

Good stuff, set in legendary times Korea.

That was off the top of my head, and just because I'm reading the series at the moment. This request is difficult, because there are a lot of titles, but they are Shoujo, Shounen, Seinen... there may be a Josei title or two even. Japanese of all ages and genders seem to love adventure stories, but the market strongly influences the product. For example, I think your request could be legitimately answered with both "Magic Knight Rayearth" and "Blade of the Immortal".

"Fushigi Yugi" is a good choice if I use Beast Master (mentioned in your sig) as guidance for what market you are in. FY is a reverse harem (cute girl central character surrounded by bishounen) with goals, plot, magic, angst, etc. etc. I seldom like this sort of manga (47-year-old straight males aren't exactly the target audience) but I genuinely enjoyed FY, thanks to quality writing. It has been ripped off by other mangaka too many times to count, which also says something about it.

EricTheFred

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:32 am

RidleyofZebes (post: 1211064) wrote:Ooh... I'll check that out. Thanks! :thumb:

Let us know your opinion of it. I'm never satisfied in this genre, because mangaka and American comic artists both seem to think excessive gore is highly desirable. I love ghost story type horror (especially 'Ghost Hunt') and demon-hunting stories, but the survival-horror genre has always gone directions I don't like.

EricTheFred

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the recommendations. They sound great. ^^

LOL. I was surprised I liked Beast-Master. Especially since I've never been addicted to Shoujo. ^.~
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby yukoxholic » Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 pm

MomoAdachi (post: 1203880) wrote:Can anyone reccomend me any other good magical girl/light fantasy shoujo manga that's legally available in the US? Right now, I have Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, Tokyo Mew Mew, Full Moon Wo Sagishite, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Miracle Girls, Dream Saga, The World Exists For Me, Fruits Basket, Cyber Idol Mink, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, and Zodiac P.I.(long list, I know), and I've enjoyed all of these except Fruits Basket and The World Exists For Me.

I love shoujo manga. I'd recommend these titles (ALL titles have 13 and up rating unless otherwise stated).

La Corda D'Oro: Great series about students who attend a school for music. The main female protagonist is a GEN ED student (which basically means she attends public school) through a series of events she is one of the chosen few picked to attend the prestigious music school (Sorry I don't mean to be vague by calling it "music school" but the name of that school escapes me at this moment ^__^) but there's just one problem: She doesn't know how to play an instrument or even read a single note of music! Perhaps with the help of the schools "music spirit" Lili whom she can only see she may possibly become the greatest violinists this school has ever seen. I love this series, it has the perfect amount of drama, comedy, and romance.

High School Debut: Another wonderful title about a tomboy named Haruna who wishes to become a true lady. Only problem is she screws it up way too much on her own and her only hope at ever achieving her dream (which is basically getting her first boyfriend) is to get a coach. Yoh, the hottest guy in school agrees to become her coach but he has one rule: "Don't fall in love with me." to bad for her she's already starting to fall.

Love*Com: You may have already heard a lot of reviews on this series. It's about a really, tall, girl named Risa who loves a boy named Otani who is the shortest boy at their high school. There's a lot of ups and downs in this series and you'll become enthralled with Risa's antics and attempts to snag him as well as feel sorry for her because Otani is a complete blockhead. x___X

Sugar Sugar Rune: This is by far my favorite title. You should really check it out. It's about two girls Chocola and Vanilla who wish to become the new Queen of their world. In their world Chocola is very popular with the guys and has many friends whereas Vanilla is shy and timid towards guys with her only friend being Chocola but in order to gain the title of queen they must venture into the human world and collect as many human hearts as possible. The only thing is in the human world Vanilla is the most popular and Chocola isn't which makes for a very complicated and interesting twist. Moyoco Anno's artwork is neat. I really love it. It's very different from other manga-kas works.

Aqua (age rating: 13 and up): This only has two volumes and I can't stop reading it. I've read it four times already though this is mostly a slice of life series so if you don't like that you won't like Aqua. The artwork is breathtaking, the story though slow paced is like a breath of fresh air, and it's fun to see how the main character goes through her day to day life in another world, striving to become a gondolier (or "Prima" the highest gondolier rank as they call it in the series). Aria is it's squeal. That manga is rated 16 and older. There is nothing objectionable in it though. It only had one profanity and that was it. Before Aria was re-licensed the series was 13 and up I have no clue why Tokyopop rated it for older teens.

Kilala Princess: This is classified as a "kiddy series" but I think it's pretty cute! It's Disney based manga about a girl who wishes to become a Princess and is cast into the Disney worlds in order to find her missing friend. It sounds a lot like a Kingdom Heart premise but the story is different and did I mention how adorable this series is?! ^__~ This series is rated for ALL ages and is a quick read. I believe each volume is maybe 122-140 pages max. There are 4 volumes in the series.

Another title would be Someday's Dreamers. I thought the anime was very slow paced but it's sequel is fantastic. It has the proper amount of drama and romance. Definitely check it out if you're interested!

And though you didn't mention it Peach Girl but I am assuming you've read it since you have Momo as your icon! ;) Sae's Story is a nice 3 volume read on her take of the whole "Momo Ordeal". That series is rated 16 and up though.
yukoxholic

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:57 pm

All right, so I'm looking for some manga I might like....

Basically, mangas I read are Tsubasa Chronicle and D.N.Angel.

I'm really liking the Rurouni Kenshin anime, so I think I'll check out the manga too.

Some non-manga books I like are books by Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker, CS Lewis (especially Narnia), and others. I like Christian suspense and fantasy novels, but I read a bit of anything that's good (to me).

I prefer cleaner titles, too, but so long as I know what's objectable in a series, I can judge from there.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby jon_jinn » Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 pm

mysngoeshere56, you could try out Fullmetal Alchemist. it's an excellent adventure series that boasts quite a bit of characterization, clean appealing artwork, and a very in-depth and intriguing plot. an overall excellent series though at times it can be rather bloody though the majority of the violence in the series is quite tasteful.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri May 16, 2008 10:44 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1226886) wrote:I'm really liking the Rurouni Kenshin anime, so I think I'll check out the manga too.

If you're enjoying the anime, I think you should absolutely read the manga, as it's about 10 times better. XD Also, I'll reiterate Jon_Jinn's FMA recommendation, and throw in Yotsuba&!, if you're looking for a clean comedy.
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:40 am

Aight! Thanks. I'll have to keep these in mind next time I go to Barnes 'N Noble. Or Wal-Mart on the off chance they have them (highly unlikely, since the only mangas I've seen there are Naruto and Fruits Basket. Seems like romance novels are their "big thing").

Feel free to keep recommendations coming. :) And thanks you two!
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Scarecrow » Sun May 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Can someone recommend manga purely on the art? I'm not interested in picking up a manga to read through, so story is not important and I don't care if its only in Japanese.

I like highly stylized and somewhat exaggerated. Just a couple mangas you believe has exceptional art and style would be good. I can look up the pictures on google to see if its something I'd like.

Just want em to have something to look at and study and help with my own art. Never picked up a manga before, I don't even know where you'd buy em aside from amazon but... thought this would be a good idea if I wanna get better at drawing though.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun May 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1227244) wrote:Can someone recommend manga purely on the art? I'm not interested in picking up a manga to read through, so story is not important and I don't care if its only in Japanese.

I like highly stylized and somewhat exaggerated. Just a couple mangas you believe has exceptional art and style would be good. I can look up the pictures on google to see if its something I'd like.

Just want em to have something to look at and study and help with my own art. Never picked up a manga before, I don't even know where you'd buy em aside from amazon but... thought this would be a good idea if I wanna get better at drawing though.

For stylized art (and something you can find on the shelf), I would actually recommend Tsubasa. I don't think it's a good artstyle for storytelling, as it's terribly hard to see during action scenes, but I will say that some of the chapter and cover art pages are really very neat.

I would also recommend Tanemura's works (Full Moon wo Sagashite, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, etc.), as her art style is very intricate and detailed.

And just because you said "stylized" and "exaggerated," I have to:

Akagi. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1227244) wrote:Can someone recommend manga purely on the art? I'm not interested in picking up a manga to read through, so story is not important and I don't care if its only in Japanese.

Just want em to have something to look at and study and help with my own art.

For a blend of detailed and bizarre exaggeration with a dash of realism, I'll direct you towards Hirohiko Araki's Steel Ball Run. I can find some other samples to hit the point home, if you would prefer that.
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Fujisaki Ryu's illustration is absolutely gorgeous, especially for his recent works like Waq Waq, Shiki, and his CGI paintings of Houshin Engi from his artbook Putitakityu. Generally, it's very exaggerated and stylized-- I wouldn't recommend him for practicing figure drawing-- but he is highly proficient in multiple media. I personally believe that he is more technically accomplished than Obata Takeshi (who everyone considers the epitome of manga technical skill); although his art isn't realistic, it's more impactful. He covers a pretty wide range-- from insane crack to very serious-- but I like his idyllic and beautiful works best ^^

You can see his stuff at http://www.houshin-engi.com/ ; two examples:
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/8199/hebannerlove0uvli1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/kirimi/jump/013-shiki.jpg
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Scarecrow » Sun May 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Wow awesome suggestion guys :D Really like the Tsubasa ones... more to the type I tend to draw... or try to anyway :P I'll have to pick a couple of those up.

I also really liked the stuff at that houshin-engi site... very exciting pictures and nice colors. I had a hard time navigating the site but I really liked the stuff you showed samples of... particularly that in the first sample. Wouldn't mind getting that art book if it had more stuff in there like that.... I really want mangas though to see the layouts and different shots and stuff like that.

Steel Ball Run I think I'd have to dig a little more. I liked the sample posted but when I googled more I wasn't too impressed but really didn't find many pictures (most of what I did find was just cover art and I didn't like it).... found a lot of literal steel balls pictures and stuff though :D

(OT really and doesn't matter really for what wanna get these fore but IMO, these should color these instead of black and white :D I actually really like the realistic look in black and white but the stuff like Tsubasa needs to be in color :D)
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews