Your Favorite Manga Authors

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:00 pm

MasterDias wrote:The whole point of the battle at the inn was to showcase the skills of Kaoru, Yahiko, and Misao so it wasn't just the "powerhouses" of Kenshin, Sanosuke, and Saito defeating everyone.

feh. in my opinion, this was a failed attempt. :drool:
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:30 pm

Okay, that's probably enough. One has one opinion, another a different opinion. Neither are absolute truth. RuroKen has its good points and bad points ~ but arguing about it doesn't seem to have any point. ^_^

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby The Doctor » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:40 pm

wow, I leave to visit my dying grandpa for awhile and I miss out on a huge debate on Nobuhiro Watsuki.

I guess Rurouni Kenshin is the type of manga series that you either love it or hate. I love it because it was the last straw that drove me into anime (added to Trigun).
From there on I went on an anime binge. I'd still be on an anime binge if Adult Swim was getting some decent anime. The last series I've dedicated myself to watching was Full Metal Alchemist, but now that that is over, I have nothing really. I catch Bleach every now and then.

My personal opinion is that Rurouni Kenshin the manga is FAR superior to the anime. The anime skipped the Jinchuu arc, which is perhaps the BEST part of Kenshin's story (like George Lucas with Episode III, Watsuki pulled off all the kid gloves for this storyline).

However, if you don't like Rurouni Kenshin, than you probably won't like Watsuki's new manga, Buso Renkin. I love it, but you can tell that it's not as good as Kenshin (though some many differ. I'm sure there are people out there who personally think it is WAY better than Kenshin. I'm just speaking from my own personal viewpoint).

Buso Renkin is just a TAD more adult in nature, but still a pretty cool story.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:21 pm

I've flipped through some Rurouni Kenshin. My problem, though, is that while I've heard it's got a pretty good characters and a story, I can't get into the art style. I know Watsuki improves, and I quiet like his later style, but in the first volume or however long his starting phase is, I just can't get into it.

Art changing is nothing new (Hirano improves vastly over the course of Hellsing), so I was wondering when Watauki' skill takes a turn for the better?
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:29 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:I've flipped through some Rurouni Kenshin. My problem, though, is that while I've heard it's got a pretty good characters and a story, I can't get into the art style. I know Watsuki improves, and I quiet like his later style, but in the first volume or however long his starting phase is, I just can't get into it.

Art changing is nothing new (Hirano improves vastly over the course of Hellsing), so I was wondering when Watauki' skill takes a turn for the better?

The art really begins to improve around vol. 3-4 or so. XD I really dislike the art style in the beginning too, and I'm very picky with my art in manga. XD If you can just push through, though, and get to volume 7 (7 is really when the exposition really ends, and you begin to see the juciest parts of the plot unfold), it'll suck you in after that. XD The art continuously makes small improvements throughout the manga, but it only makes changes for the better, as far as I'm concerned. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Alright, I'll add it to my list then. Thanks.
Fish and Chips

Postby MomoAdachi » Sun May 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Naoko Takeuchi, Chihou Saito, Arina Takemura(sp?), and the one behind Dream Saga, MINK, and Saint Tail, forgot her name.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Sennin » Sun May 06, 2007 6:04 pm

I favor these mangaka in this order:

1. Rumiko Takahashi (Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2)
2. Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin and Busou Renkin)
3. Akimine Kamijo (Samurai Deeper Kyo)
4. Kentaro Yabuki (Black Cat)
5. Daisuke Moriyama (Chrono Crusade)

I felt like including Yeo Beop-Ryong (Chronicles of the Cursed Sword) after Watsuki; but he's a Korean, hence a manwha writer.
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
-Theodore Roosevelt

When asked what wine he liked to drink, he replied, “That which belongs to another.â€
Sennin

Postby Kisa » Tue May 15, 2007 5:55 am

Letsee, to name a few...
Tanemura Arina, Sugisaki Yukiru, Watase Yuu, Takaya Natsuki, Matsuri Hino, and of course...CLAMP!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:07 pm

Well...I have a lot but here are a few I like:

Yoshio Sawai
Hekiru Hikawa
Kiyohiko Azuma
Takeshi Obata
Koge-Donbo
PEACH-PIT
Mizuki Kawashita
Nobuhiro Watsuki
Miho Obana (surprisingly)
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:34 pm

i have revised and updated my list of favorite manga authors:

Kentaro Miura - Berserk
Katsuhiro Otomo - Akira
Naoki Urasawa - Monster, 20th Century Boys
Yoshiro Togashi - HxH, Yu Yu Hakusho
Tokeshi Obata - Hikaru no Go, Death Note (i don't really like the two series, the art is definitely worth noting...)
Hiroaki Samura - Blade of the Immortal
Tohru Fujisawa - GTO, Rose Hip Zero, Rose Hip Rose
Eiichiro Oda - One Piece
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:36 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:Well...I have a lot but here are a few I like:

Yoshio Sawai
Hekiru Hikawa
Kiyohiko Azuma
Takeshi Obata
Koge-Donbo
PEACH-PIT
Mizuki Kawashita
Nobuhiro Watsuki
Miho Obana (surprisingly)

My favorite manga that they wrote if you were wondering:
Sawai-Bobobo
Hikawa-Paniponi
Azuma-Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&!
Obata-Hikaru No Go, DEATH NOTE
Koge Donbo-Pita Ten, Kamichama Karin, Di Gi Charat
Peach Pit-Rozen Maiden, Zombie Loan
Kawashita-Ichigo 100%
Watsuki-Rurouni Kenshin
Obana-Kodomo no Omocha (Kodocha)

I also have to add:
Yasuhiro Nightow-Trigun
Yu Aida-Gunslinger Girl
Ito Ogure/Oh! Great-Air Gear
Akira Toriyama-Dragon Ball, Cowa!, Go!Go!Ackman
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Nobuhiro Watsuki and Tanemura Arina. Both of them have fantastic art, are good with stories, and have made seires I've vastly enjoyed. :thumb:

Adding one to the list. XD I've only read one and a half of his series and can already put him on the list of favorites due to his amazingly realistic art style and incredible ability for storytelling--Naoki Urasawa.

Yyyep. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:51 am

Okay, I'm extremely illiterate when it comes to manga, so I should probably never show my face in this forum, but I noticed this thread, so I thought I'd say that the two best mangaka I know of, while that's not saying too much, are Hiromu Arakawa and Naoki Urasawa. The styles of their drawings and stories, while extremely different, are both simply superb.

:bootout: *scurries away*
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AsianBlossom » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:46 am

I like Kiyohiko Azuma (Azumanga Daioh; Yotsuba&!). I also like some stuff by other authors and artists, but it's usually not all of their works, so the only one who has more that one work I like is Azuma-san.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:03 pm

Added on:
Hiromu Arakawa-FullMetal Alchemist
Kiyohiko Azuma-Yotsuba&!
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:17 pm

Nobuhiro Watsuku, Natsuki Takaya, Hiromu Arakawa, Hatori Bisco... No more at the moment... but maybe once I get my hands on more manga and read it I'll come to adore more artists' work.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews