Reading manga in public.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Reading manga in public.

Postby Stiletto » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:02 pm

Does anybody here have the courage to read manga in public, or have done so without feeling embarrassed about it?

I personally feel that whipping out a manga in a crowded place seems to attract more attention than with anything else, given that the artwork tends to draw people towards what you're reading (big-eyed characters or the frilly artwork in shoujo manga). So I've pretty much kept my reading of manga to myself, and not made it a big deal.

Azumanga Daioh however, with it's "Western" format seems to be the only thing I can read comfortably in view of other people. :)
Stiletto

Postby Tarnish » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:06 pm

I never really thought about it! I have a tendency to read my manga immediately after the purchase, so yeah, I read my manga in public all the time. XD;
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:09 pm

I bring mine to work to read in the staffroom^^ Meh, no one cares or really questions. If anything, the only thing I've ever gotten was a "Hey you're reading manga? I used to be big into Ranma 1/2!" So, I'm not bugged about it, and it's ALOT better than sitting there and reading People and/or Star magazine >_<
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:50 pm

I browse a couple pages in the book store when surrounded by fellow buyers, but usually keep my Manga reading habits under my hat.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:56 pm

when i first saw this thread, i thought you meant reading mangas out loud in public and i thought "what a strange idea". now that i know what you mean, i have to say yes. and often. sometimes, when my parents go shopping for a long time, they just drop me off at a bookstore and i spend 2-3 hours reading manga there. though in very crowded areas, i do feel that it is sort of annoying when there are people you don't know reading over your shoulder (seriously...) but at the book stores, i usually find someplace remotely empty and quiet to read mangas...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:20 pm

I envy you guys who have bookshops where you have room (and are allowed) to sit down and read for a bit. Ours are only shelves and shelves of books. You are allowed to browse, but absolutely no reading or you have to buy the book or leave the shop.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:38 pm

I usually read manga in public. But no one really pays any attention to it.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Since I work at a bookstore, I tend to read in public a lot. :grin:

I actually know a guy who's a regular customer who has read literally every single manga book we carry.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:53 pm

I have in the past, yes. I used to bring manga to school and read it when I was finished with an assignment (in 10th grade, mostly), and I've brought a manga on long field trips on buses before. I don't really think about the reaction of the people around me, though. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby SailorDove » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:05 pm

Yep, and no one ever commented. But the only places I've read in public is in the library, the laundrymat or traveling in the car. Well, so far.
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:05 am

Azier wrote:I actually know a guy who's a regular customer who has read literally every single manga book we carry.

Whoa. That's... dedicated.

I read manga on the train, usually. Its 40 minutes to my station... so I tend to get through a volume of fruits basket with time to spare. But the trains aren't usually crowded. I probably wouldn't whip out any manga in public, though... I tend to draw when I have free time, rather than read.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby KBMaster » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:59 am

Not really. I have no reason to take my manga out into public, therefore no reason to read it in public. Although I probably wouldn't mind if I had a reason.
KBMaster

Postby rii namuras » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:14 am

(First thought was... Reading in public... as opposed to in locked room?)

(But I honestly don't care. I read when I want to, regardless of how many people are around me.)
rii namuras

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:39 am

jon_jinn wrote:when i first saw this thread, i thought you meant reading mangas out loud in public and i thought "what a strange idea".

Haha! Now that would really attract some attention!

I'll sometimes read manga in public if I know I'll have a lot of time to kill, like in a doctor's office or on a bus. I haven't gotten any unusual attention, but having an audience does make one extremely conscious of any fanservice or bad dialogue that might pop up.
Cap'n Nick

Postby CatHCG11 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:04 pm

I hardly ever read manga in public. I just feel too self conscious. But I do read it at book stores sometimes.
When I was certain he was going to kill me, my mind went blank, and I didn't have any hope anymore. And the only thing I could do was scream my lungs out. I felt so helpless, I couldn't even bring myself to believe someone might save me. Then you showed up, Al. And I realized that if we don't take care of each other, then no one else will. So I'll do anything in my power to get our bodies back, even if it means being the military's lapdog. And we'll just have to hope our powers are good enough to help us rise above our own limits. Cause we're not gods. We're humans. Tiny, insignificant humans who couldn't even save a little girl.
-Edward Elric, FullMetal Alchemist
CatHCG11

Postby Mimiru14 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:18 pm

I don't have a problem with reading manga in public..I'm usually too into what I'm reading to notice anybody else
[color="Magenta"]"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
— J.K. Rowling [/color]

[color="Plum"]"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's what makes it cool"[/color]:thumb:
Mimiru14

Postby Stiletto » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Azier the Swordsman wrote:I actually know a guy who's a regular customer who has read literally every single manga book we carry.

Was he reading them all at the bookstore? As long as the guy wasn't blocking the manga aisle like some people do, then I'd like to shake his hand. :)
Stiletto

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Bah, I only read manga at home. If I "read in public" then I'm just skimming random titles at the store. I don't really give a crap who's looking at what I'm reading.
Ichigo_89

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:41 pm

I'll read one whenever I feel like, so if that happens to be in the mall on a bench in front of the bookstore waiting for mom, so be it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tommy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:13 pm

I usually don't buy them since Borders allows me to sit and read there to my heart's content.

I do own some, but I usually don't share my manga interests with people that don't care for it at all (and as far as my friends go, I have a total of 2 who care).

I have gotten caught reading Eyeshield 21 by my football playing friends (I do as well). While it's a decent series, trust me. They butcher football so badly.

That's why I prefer Prince of Tennis. I usually don't mind when a sport I don't like gets butchered. :)
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Adie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Well... I'll only read it in public if there's nothing else to do, like if I'm sitting in a waiting room. =P Most of the time I read it at home, though.
Adie

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:06 pm

Prince of Tennis doesn't really butcher tennis that much. If you don't like it, then how can you so easily judge it? Tennis is my favorite sport, while football is the sport of barbarians. Such lack of thought and strategy...just bashing each other and running. A waste of time.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm

Destroyer2000 wrote:Prince of Tennis doesn't really butcher tennis that much. If you don't like it, then how can you so easily judge it? Tennis is my favorite sport, while football is the sport of barbarians. Such lack of thought and strategy...just bashing each other and running. A waste of time.

Easy, no need to get so up-tight about it. XD; Let's not turn this into a sports-bashing thread. Either way, you just bashed football, which you obviously don't like, so...how can you so easily judge it? o_o Anyways...:sweat:

As for the topic, I don't have anything to add to my last post, really. Manga does make for a good read during waiting times, though, with its easy-to-pick-up-again layout.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:59 pm

I like Prince of Tennis.
They just made Tennis matches look like a fight from DBZ with all the names for moves and how they tennis playing is handled.

Same for Eyeshield 21.

Such lack of thought and strategy

You think football lacks stradegy?

Trust me, football so totally involves stradegy or do they make playbooks for entertainment?

I'm pretty sure football is more strategic than hitting a bill back and forth with a racket.

But you're right, tennis is far more entertaining to watch which is why the Super Bowl is the most watched annual moment on television.

I'll just close by saying that according to my personal belief system, football is far more strategic than tennis. While both have a significant amount of strategy (I was joking about the hitting back and forth thing), I believe football overpowers it that way. To say it's nothing more than running and bashing shows you know nothing of the sport.

If you have something more to say regarding this, take it to PM.
Tommy

Postby Alexander » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:42 pm

I'm the nervous type.

While I'm getting more used to reading it in public, I still prefer to go to the back end of my book store and find a chair to read it in. And while people haven't looked at me directly while I'm reading it, I still feel like I'm being watched by everyone.

However, I don't mind reading next the shelf if they are other manga readers around me, however, I do feel slightly uncomfortable being around them due to them being older then me and having different preferences then my own.

So, I mostly read at home or in private when I can.
Alexander

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:55 pm

I haven't felt the need to bring my meager collection with me in public, but if I did, I wouldn't care. There's no shame in reading manga.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Rocketshipper » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:27 pm

I read all the time, everywhere (even on church retreats ^^). Novels, manga, magazines, whatever. I've never been embarrassed about being seen with a particular book or manga, and I've never really noticed much of a reaction from other people.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Gypsy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:47 am

Nah, I always have my messenger bag with me, and there's always at least one manga stashed inside. You just never know when you're going to have to be stationary for longer than 30 seconds somewhere ... I've never had a problem with reading manga outside of the home. It attracts a lot less attention than sketching in public, I can tell you that much.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Acolyte » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:26 am

I carry a bag as well that has manga and my notebook and coloured pencils. But yeah I read in public all the time. Haven't really thought about the strange looks o.O
Acolyte

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:07 pm

I've read my manga in the doctor's office before. Once when my dad took me I took along my volume of Kenshin. And this past then I was sick my mom took me and I had the latest vol. of Full Metal Alchemist. So I read it in pulic. The old guy in the waiting room I think gave me a strange look because I was readt 'backwards' but I really wasn't paying much attention to him. But to doctor I saw I'd never seen before. I couldn't get in to see my usual doctor. And the new guy made fun of my manga! He made me mad, and he had bad bedside manner.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews