manga with the best plots

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

manga with the best plots

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:32 am

yeah. so, what are some mangas that you believe have really, really good plots/plot twists? here's a list of mangas that, i believe, have some of THE best plots ever:

20th Century Boys
Monster
Berserk
Bleach
Death Note (gotta give 'em some credit...)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:22 pm

Hmm...

Full Moon wo Sagashite (Great character development, a good *and unexpected* plot twist, and a plot that makes you care about what happens at the end).

Death Note (Really good character development, original idea, excellent execution of plot, keeps the viewer very interested). Granted, I've only watched the anime, but I hear they're similar enough. XD

Rurouni Kenshin (Wonderful characters, a very fun plot that keeps the reader interested through all 28 volumes).

That's all that comes to mind for now. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Bap » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:55 pm

Death Note
Fruits Basket
Get Backers

And probably some others that have... 'fwooshed' out of my mind. xD;
Bap

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Battle Angel
HELLSING
Berserk
Deathnote

and FMA is pretty cool
Ichigo_89

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:09 pm

Hellsing's rather light on plot, but what it lacks in storytelling it makes up for in premise.

As for plot advancement, I'd say 20th Century Boys, Death Note, FullMetal Alchemist, and Monster would be my essential selection.
Fish and Chips

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:11 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note immedately come to mind for me. Fruits Basket as well.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:28 pm

The Kindaichi Case Files have great twists and turns.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:15 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:As for plot advancement, I'd say 20th Century Boys, Death Note, FullMetal Alchemist, and Monster would be my essential selection.

yeah! another urasawa fan here!! anyways, welcome to CAA fish and chips.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:07 am

jon_jinn wrote:yeah! another urasawa fan here!! anyways, welcome to CAA fish and chips.

Urasawa is a genius. Good to know I'm not the only aficionado of his work here.

And cheers for dusting off the welcome mat.
Fish and Chips

Postby Alice » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:01 pm

Firefighter Daigo because it's all about a guy who wants to do his best and save people... that's not a twist, though. I've only read two (non-consecutive) volumes, but the plots were not hard to follow. They seemed to be almost stand-alone, yet linked together with the main plot.

Have I mentioned this series enough you can tell I love it? Really, I should buy more. (I should be saving money for other things right now, though.)
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:42 am

Without a doubt, Monster, 20th Century Boys, and Death Note.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:50 am

Hunter x Hunter actually has a pretty good plot too. though it is rather generic, the characters and unique abilities make the manga quite original.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:32 pm

DEATH NOTE. Definitely. There's a plot twist about every, what, third page? XD
xxx_HoLiC ~ I like how it's comedy, but with a neat coming-of-age-ish subplot and a good message about dealing with your problems [having to commit and stay committed to dealing with them].
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle ~ The theme of Syaoran's selfless love is touching.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:16 pm

good gosh. i mentioned berserk but i never realized that the plot was so thick. seriously. the manga's like all about character development.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:42 pm

I've never heard of 20th Century Boys... I'll have to look that up as soon as I've caught up with D. Grey Man.

Other than Death Note and a certain DnD title, I will have to think about what mangas really had good plots. It's often very easy to confuse character development with plot.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 pm

ikimasu wrote:I've never heard of 20th Century Boys... I'll have to look that up as soon as I've caught up with D. Grey Man.

20th Century Boys is by Naoki Urasawa, author of Monster. 20th Century Boys is a drama mystery set in both 1970s and an alternate future version (Although not Sci-Fi style future) of Japan. It takes place over these two time zones and tells the story of a group of people it falls upon to save the world. This manga is certainly one of the most intriguing i've read for some time, with some excellent mysteries that keep you guessing right till the final plot twist. As with all of Urasawa's mangas you quickly end up feeling for the characters because unlike in many manga, they are based in reality. This results in you genuinely feeling emotionally involved with them as their fates unfold adminst extraordinary events.
Initially I wondered how the initial plot device of saving the world from the evil 'friend's' plans could possibly last past 10 volumes. This is to the merit of the series though, it just goes to show to what extent the plot subtly unfolds.
The artwork is of an excellent quality throughout with some truly impressive and detailed final panels. The level of emotion involved in the characters faces and the ease of which the plot could be followed through the frames was brilliant and almost movie-esque at times. The translation is also good for the series with the translator explaining many aspects of japanese culture which the uninitiated might not know at first and also explaining at times why he has chosen or decided to change particular uses of phrases throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend the series to anyone who likes character and plot based manga with a mystery element.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Stiletto » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:27 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:The Kindaichi Case Files have great twists and turns.

Yes. The mysteries in them are excellent.

"Remote" is another great manga title that also happens to be a mystery. It was penned by one of the KCF writers and is IMO much more unique as far as how the plots are set up.
Stiletto

Postby Tommy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:03 am

Plotwise, GantZ, but I don't recommend it to anyone here.

Berserk.
Death Note.
Flame of Recca.
Rurouni Kenshin.
Tommy

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 pm

I've read a lot of manga in my life, but the manga whose plot my interested me and maintained the most complexity through its duration was Fruits Basket. While I may only be 15 volumes in, the depth of the characters and mystery surrounds the Sohmas has won it a place in my heart as one of the best written manga that I've ever read.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Actually, I would disagree on Gantz. So far it gives the appearance of potentially having a good plot, but even after 200+ chapters barely anything has actually been revealed. It could very well yet prove to be a manga with a pointless plot that merely happens to have a decent premise. In any case, the pacing is much, much too slow for my taste (it ranks up there with Vagabond as far as pages per plot movement).
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Plotwise, GantZ, but I don't recommend it to anyone here.

yes. it is rather hard to recommend. i, personally, believe that Gantz's forte is its character development. yes. the plot progresses at an incredibly slow pace, but the characters do develope in a very real way. it's very interesting to see how the act around one another and how they work in order to carry out the missions assigned to them. still though, this manga isn't really on my "fav. manga list".

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews