Good manga titles?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Tommy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm

jon_jinn wrote: the spiritual content is NOT to be taken seriously. also, some of the mangas you mentioned in your list of favs also has spiritual content.

The funny thing about the world we live in, people actually do.

Think of all the Harry Potter nerds that believe they can cast spells, Star Wars nerds you think they can use the force, ect.

Also, you're right. Bleach is no worse than the others listed.
Tommy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:42 pm

onyxmoon21 wrote:Yeah, it's true that they do leave some things out in the manga, but it's still really good. I love it! It's soooo cute and super clean--which is getting harder and harder to find these days... And I actually happen to like the art--maybe not my favorite style but it's definently sweet.
And one thing about Rurouni Kension--isn't it true that the gay dude flashes someone, and not only that but he also has a "thing" for his boss? Hmmm...
And jon_jinn, I understand that you like Bleach and that's fine. I just don't think it's for me, that's all. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll have to pass.

So you know I wrote a review for Rurouni Kenshin. You can check that out if you want.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby onyxmoon21 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:54 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:So you know I wrote a review for Rurouni Kenshin. You can check that out if you want.

Thanks, I most certainly will.

Also, has anyone ever heard of the manga "Blue Inferior"? I picked up the first volume at the library and was like, "this looks interesting..." (flips pages randomly) "... looks clean..."

Well, it was OK. Art wasn't the best, but some of it was beautiful... there wasn't enough action, like, at all, but it was also super clean. I think the worst word was "darn", and no nudity or sexual stuff...
At first I was kind of worried that two guys might be gay, but turns out their not, and I was just being paranoid. As usual...

Anyway, it was a fairly intertaining read and I might pick up the other 3 volumes, but if anyone has read them I'd appreciate your views.

Oh, and one more thing. Has anyone ever heard of a Final Fantasy manga? I'd looooove to get my hands on a FF7 comic, but I haven't found any. Period. That probably means there's none out there, but I'm still hopeful! :)
onyxmoon21

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:28 pm

i dunno about the content but here's what i have:

Genres: Adventure
Plot Summary: In a world destroyed by environmental pollution, what’s left of humankind lives in small oases of civilization along the coasts of the contaminated continents. The people living in those havens fear the sub-humans - said to be monsters with poison for blood, though once human. So, one day in the "blessed land" of Liber a female subhuman is washed ashore and found by the boy Kazuya who immediately befriends her. Though it is a dangerous friendship as the people of Liber gradually becomes more and more suspicious of Marin and her history that which she doesn’t remember anything of.

as for Final Fantasy manga, the only one i've heard of is Final Fantasy XI: The Out of Orders. there's not that much info on this manga though, sorry.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:45 pm

I'd like to say that, for the record, I've never met a Star Wars nerd who actually thought they could use the force. o.o;
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Doe Johnson » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:35 pm

I've talked to people who've actually tried out techniques to use Saidin and Saidar (from Wheel of Time), so it wouldn't suprise me if there were people out there who tried it with the Force.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:59 pm

You should get Oh My Goddess.
Eric

Postby Kkun » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:41 am

[quote="onyxmoon21"]I'm looking for some new manga to get into, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
I cannot take: Nudity--Wolf's Rain's Harmona is about my limit on that]

Okay, look, if you dig tragedy, then you absolutely need to read Fullmetal Alchemist. It has great action and drama, as well. The characters are some of the most well-developed characters in a manga/anime ever. However, it is full of mild profanities, and the violence is pretty intense...so that's something to be warned about.

Rurouni Kenshin might be dead on with what you're looking for. Shao wrote an excellent review for it. It's totally tragic, the characters are interesting, there's excellent action, and even a love story.

Other than those, I got nothin'...I really don't read much manga.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby onyxmoon21 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Kkun wrote:Okay, look, if you dig tragedy, then you absolutely need to read Fullmetal Alchemist. It has great action and drama, as well. The characters are some of the most well-developed characters in a manga/anime ever. However, it is full of mild profanities, and the violence is pretty intense...so that's something to be warned about.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I absolutely looooove tragedy and action, and Fullmetal Alchemist might be what I'm looking for, however there is some question about the religious content. I'm not really bothered by the fact Ed's an athiest, but Scar is another story. Yet I'll just have to see...

Just out of couriosity, did the religous or spiritual content ever bug you?

Again, thanks!
onyxmoon21

Postby KBMaster » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:45 pm

Ed kinda annoyed me at first with his cynical look on religion but then I began to pity him. Scar didn't really bother me; I jjust saw him as a whack job who blew up people's faces.

Do NOT buy Blue Inferior. Don't get attached to the first volume. The first volume was the only one ADV released and then they dropped and I looked everywhere and I couldn't find the rest in Japanese, so you're basically out of luck there.
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:55 pm

i, personally, do not find the spiritual content to that much of an issue as long as it does not blaspheme God’s name or any other aspects of God. One such manga, that I find that I cannot really cope with, is Hellsing. However, this is an entirely different issue…

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby onyxmoon21 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:08 pm

Okay, so maybe I'll give it another try. FMA, I mean. I'm desperately curious about it, so I guess I'll pick up the 3rd volume and try it out again... who knows? Maybe it'll get better...
onyxmoon21

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:47 am

onyxmoon21 wrote:Okay, so maybe I'll give it another try. FMA, I mean. I'm desperately curious about it, so I guess I'll pick up the 3rd volume and try it out again... who knows? Maybe it'll get better...

if you're just gonna pick up a random volume of FMA, i'd advise against it. but if you're picking the third volume because you've already read the first two, that's fine. otherwise, start from the first volume.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby onyxmoon21 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:40 am

Yeah, I read the 2nd and am going to pick up the 1st sometime this week. (I have it on hold at the library) I should get the 3rd sometime next month. (The hold lists on it are sooooo looong...)
onyxmoon21

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:55 pm

Volume 1 of FullMetal Alchemist was rather shakey for me. Not "Bad" per say, as it certainly caught me attention, but for me the series doesn't really start till volume 2. Set the tone and emotions of the story better, in my humble opinion.
Fish and Chips

Postby ICE-rocks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:01 pm

I Picked up a manga at my library, It was called Orphan And (not that I can remember) It had no Nudity (Some bad words) But it was really good. But I think they only have one out right now.
We'll that's the only one I can think of.
I'm back with a vengeance or at least anime studio :thumb:
ICE-rocks

Postby SailorDove » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:10 pm

I've read the whole Kenshin series, don't remember any of the good guys being gay. Maybe in the anime? Haven't seen that. I really enjoyed it the series because of the lack of most of the "that stuff".

EDIT: Note to mods, just saw Ashley & others' reply to this remark. I honestly can't remember that character. Anyhoo, please feel free to delete this post.
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Alice » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:56 pm

Manga I would recommend are:

Cyborg 009* violent but otherwise clean - read maybe 4 volumes so far

Firefighter! Diago of Fire Company M, by Masahito Soda* read two volumes - want to read more - what I read was very clean

Angelic Layer, by Clamp* read three+ volumes - sweet manga

Knights of the Zodiac, by Masami Kuramada* only read one volume - mythical & fantasy elements, blood & violence.

Since I haven't read the whole series of any of them, I can't guarantee they're completely clean. However I can say that, except for violence, they seemed to be quite clean to me.

My advice would be to look at the mangas, see if they look interesting to you, and then ask somebody who's read the whole thing if they'll meet your standards.

Personally I think it's good to have standards for what you'll read. There's lots of manga I wouldn't feel right reading, but it's probably different for everybody. ^_^ Good luck!

P.S. I got some good suggestions/ideas for more to read from this thread! :D
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby onyxmoon21 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:46 pm

Thanks everyone! You've been really helpful.
onyxmoon21

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews