Hellsing to wrap up

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Does anyone know if it's a common occurrence for manga to end because their creators died? Then again, the industry may be too young for that to have been an issue. We'll get an end to Hellsing, but it may take a good while.

Joshua Christopher wrote:Well if it helps, I'm sure it will be finished before the next chapter of Berserk comes out.

The long break actually ended not too long ago with chapter 280. I think there was another issue scheduled, too, so there will probably be some more in the near future.

One manga I do think may never be finished is Hunter x Hunter. It may have been over a year since I've seen a new chapter and the plot doesn't seem anywhere near complete unless he decides to end it at random.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:54 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Does anyone know if it's a common occurrence for manga to end because their creators died? Then again, the industry may be too young for that to have been an issue. We'll get an end to Hellsing, but it may take a good while.

I don't think so. Most mangaka are youngish to middle age I think, so creators suddenly dieing is probably pretty infrequent, at least among the major titles.

The original author of the Trinity Blood novels died in the middle of them, and his work was continued by someone else, but that's the only major case that I've really heard of.

One manga I do think may never be finished is Hunter x Hunter. It may have been over a year since I've seen a new chapter and the plot doesn't seem anywhere near complete unless he decides to end it at random.

At this point, I'm really wondering what is happening with Togashi...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Well, old age may be a non-issue, but what about a random lethal inconvenience? Say, an out-of-control truck or food poisoning?
Fish and Chips

Postby Joshua Christopher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:38 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:The long break actually ended not too long ago with chapter 280. I think there was another issue scheduled, too, so there will probably be some more in the near future.

Yeah, I was just commenting on the fact that Miura is slow and takes lots of breaks. :thumb:
Joshua Christopher

Postby Tommy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 pm

Yeah, he won't finish it in MY lifetime and I'm 15!
How does he expect to finish it before HE dies?
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm

yeah. i know that miura puts a lot of detail and effort into his manga and it must take a long time to release each chapter. as for HxH, i really hope the series ends soon. i don't want it to turn into DBZ and get all dumb about winning and training to get stronger and stuff but as UC Pseudonym said, there hasn't been very much progress lately...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Master Dias wrote:I don't think so. Most mangaka are youngish to middle age I think, so creators suddenly dieing is probably pretty infrequent, at least among the major titles.

That's what I was thinking. Much like the internet and forums, manga is too young of a structure for us to understand how it operates in the long term. Fortunately, I think we're seeing an increasing number of manga that seem to have a single plot arc that will go until completed, at which point the manga will end (Bleach, for example). This is an improvement over something like Dragonball Z, where its popularity forced it to continue beyond the creator's intent.

Fish and Chips wrote:Well, old age may be a non-issue, but what about a random lethal inconvenience? Say, an out-of-control truck or food poisoning?

That's possible, but the number of people that die of such causes is probably low enough that the chances of one of them being a major manga-ka is relatively low. It's probably inevitable, but it isn't an industry-changing issue like age.

Joshua Christopher wrote:Yeah, I was just commenting on the fact that Miura is slow and takes lots of breaks.

And that is certainly true. It's unfortunate that each issue tends not to advance the plot all that much, either. Because if there is a manga that deserves to be incredibly long, it is Berserk.

jon_jinn wrote:as for HxH, i really hope the series ends soon. i don't want it to turn into DBZ and get all dumb about winning and training to get stronger and stuff

I'd say it's already there. I like some things about HxH, but it has never really had an overall plot.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:58 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Does anyone know if it's a common occurrence for manga to end because their creators died?

It's not a common occurence, uc, but I do think I read somewhere that Cyborg 009 ended prematurely because Ishinimori was dead.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:46 pm

Uh, Cyborg 009 was done decades ago, and Shotaro Ishinomori died in 1998 so I don't think that would be an issue...

He was still working in the industry right up until near his death I believe, but I don't think he was necessarily in the middle of anything.

Well, old age may be a non-issue, but what about a random lethal inconvenience? Say, an out-of-control truck or food poisoning?
Do I sense a morbid sense of humor?
But seriously though, that would be really crappy for the fans, if a mangaka was suddenly killed by a freak accident.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:21 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Well, old age may be a non-issue, but what about a random lethal inconvenience? Say, an out-of-control truck or food poisoning?

:wow!: that's a very scary thought...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:10 pm

I think the problem with Berserk is that the chapters aren't very long, and the story is slow-paced, so reading one chapter every month or so doesn't feel like it's advancing the plot.

However, if you take, say, the last ten or fifteen chapters, you'll probably see that it does advance the current plot somewhat.

I think another problem is the current format. The art takes so long to do that we're only getting a short chapter, instead of back during the beginning where chapters were about twice as long.

Fullmetal Alchemist does a good job advancing the plot, since it's 40-pages each chapter.
Joshua Christopher

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:43 pm

I'm not common in this, but I'd actually prefer reduced art quality if it meant more pages each month. Ultimately I don't care about pretty pictures: I want them to communicate a story. That applies to Hellsing as well, in order to make this post slightly on topic.

Joshua Christopher wrote:I think the problem with Berserk is that the chapters aren't very long, and the story is slow-paced, so reading one chapter every month or so doesn't feel like it's advancing the plot.

I was planning to make a very similar statement, having just read 281. The entire chapter can be summarized in "Garreth's army attacks." Either this chapter was worse than normal or I noticed it more for some reason, but the number of massive panels really stuck out to me in this one. There were two full page panels and four two-page ones, which is absurd. We all know that Zodd is a beast and can hack people up; it really doesn't need to be emphasized every time (just like Guts hewing a bunch of soldiers just isn't that impressive anymore).
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:12 pm

would it be possible to start another discussion in the 'Berserk' thread?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:21 pm

That is probably for the best, as we're drifting seriously off topic. Let this be the end of the Berserk tangent.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ichigo_89 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:36 am

Good news for all of ya Hellsing freaks! Vol.8 is NOW available for pre-order on darkhorse.com! The official release date is now July.4th (GASP) So go get your pre-order on ya'll!
Ichigo_89

Postby Stephen » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:47 am

A friend had told me this on Myspace tonight. But I thought he said the 24th of July. I like your date better though!
Stephen

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:57 am

Hellsing OVA III is actually finished, labeled, and resting on a shelf somewhere. The reason it hasn't shipped yet is because of low production for the Father Anderson commemorative figurines promised to be packaged with the DVD to those who faithfully pre-ordered. Right.

On a brighter note, it seems the third installment features everything from the Wild Geese's conscription and the British War Museum to the entire Brazil arc. And then some.

Now I'm just impatient.
Fish and Chips

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:25 am

Fish and Chips wrote:Hellsing OVA III is actually finished, labeled, and resting on a shelf somewhere. The reason it hasn't shipped yet is because of low production for the Father Anderson commemorative figurines promised to be packaged with the DVD to those who faithfully pre-ordered. Right.

On a brighter note, it seems the third installment features everything from the Wild Geese's conscription and the British War Museum to the entire Brazil arc. And then some.

Now I'm just impatient.

Goodness, can't this just leak to the inter-- I mean, can't the DVD which we will all import come out already? Jeez.

On a brighter note, it seems the third installment will be furiously awesome.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Gypsy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:13 am

I have a small advantage because I'm a couple volumes behind in reading the series - so I'm not on edge waiting for something to release. I'm only waiting for Shattereheart to buy the manga so I can read them. I'm hardly a rabid fan, but I do enjoy the read, Integra and all her names fascinate me, and I'm curious to see how things pan out. So let's all cheer Shatter on so he'll lend me the books.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:31 pm

*laughs* I forgot to tell ya Gyp. I got 6 and 7 coming off Ebay. So within a week or so you to will be waiting for volume 8 in July.
Stephen

Postby Gypsy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:13 pm

ShatterheartArk wrote:So within a week or so you to will be waiting for volume 8 in July.

My friend, that deserves ... a dancing banana.

:dance:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:36 pm

The dude is not answering emails on Ebay. >.< Hopefully he has already recieved payment. I've waited long enough for 6 and 7. Between the local Borders being useless...and no other shops selling manga...Blah. Borders sells 1-5, and 7. And the 7 they have is torn to heck.

Not that it will matter to Gypsy since I will probably read both volumes on the way back from the mail box. *laughs* They need to make the manga longer or somthing. Or I need to learn how to ration them.
Stephen

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Rations? Why do you think it takes a year between volumes?
Fish and Chips

Postby Stephen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Stephen

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:39 am

Saw it months ago, when someone scanned the Japanese cover. Yeah.
Fish and Chips

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews