Manhwa!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manhwa!

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 pm

So basically they're Korean comics and are read western style. They're usually more obscure compared to the mainstream shonenjump manga that's taking over most manga sections. But I'm starting to get into them. Really detailed art, and it's just done differently than manga.

It's a nice change of pace, but onto the point of this thread. Basically who else is liking the Manhwa stuff and what series have u read or like? Me, I just picked up "Banya:The Explosive Deliveryman" today and was quite impressed. (I'd recommend it if some violence and language doesn't bother you)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ichigo_89

Postby jadestinger » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:55 pm

I've been a big Ragnarok: Into the Abyss fan, but Lee Myung-Jin halted it after Volume 11 I think to focus more on the game development :\

I actually like that style of art more than most manga styles, too :D
jadestinger

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:23 pm

banya...looks pretty interesting. the art is definitely the type of art that i like.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:42 am

I really like the Korean artwork as well. I remember flipping through Island and being highly impressed with the quality of the work, though, I should note that it's pretty violent. I'll try and check out Banya some time.
Aka-chan

Postby Ichigo_89 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:05 am

jon_jinn wrote:banya...looks pretty interesting. the art is definitely the type of art that i like.

You'd really dig it, man. Definately try to find it
Ichigo_89

Postby That Dude » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:35 pm

It's hit and miss with the manhwa for me. Though I really enjoyed Demon Dairy. It was just so funny.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kkun » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:44 pm

I love some manhwa. Faerie's Landing is the tops.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Puguni » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:49 pm

I really liked this old manwha called Unplugged Boy. It was so funny and I just wanted to know what happened. Otherwise, manwha can sometimes be really skewered in anatomy. 6_9;
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:52 pm

[quote="Puguni"]I really liked this old manwha called Unplugged Boy. It was so funny and I just wanted to know what happened. Otherwise, manwha can sometimes be really skewered in anatomy. 6_9]
Why the heck is it spelled "manwha" when it's pronounced "mahn-a"

I never understood it. "Mahn-a" means cartoon, where as "Mahn-a chek" means "Cartoon book" aka "Comic" or "Manga"

Anyway, my dad would read the "mahn-a" strips in our korean newspapers.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Puguni » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Why the heck is it spelled "manwha" when it's pronounced "mahn-a"

I never understood it. "Mahn-a" means cartoon, where as "Mahn-a chek" means "Cartoon book" aka "Comic" or "Manga"

Anyway, my dad would read the "mahn-a" strips in our korean newspapers.

Whoops, manhwa, not manwha.

만화 : Isn't it H-oa? So it sounds like a wuh sound?
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:20 pm

Maybe I'm wrong then? I don't know. Koreans pronounce things so differently when they say stuff quickly.

And that is "Hwa" so what you wrote is pronounced "man-hwa" (with the H being pronounced)
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews