Seeking Manga series to collect.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Seeking Manga series to collect.

Postby RidleyofZebes » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Hey-yo! As the title says, I'm looking for a manga series to collect. I own the first 12 volumes of Dragon Ball Z, but the fights often times take up a whole volume, and I wanted something with a little more non-violent interaction. Something like comedy, I guess. My parents don't mind language, as long as it doesn't take my Gods name in vain. I take a black sharpie to the bad words anyways. Nudity is a no-no, but strange costumes are accepted with an eyeroll. Violence isn't really much of a problem, as long as it wouldn't make you sick. IMO, the more things that go BOOM, the better! :brow: An action scene here and there is okay, but no more 3-volume fights like the one with freiza. :shady: If you can reccomend me anything, I would be MOST greatfull!!! All I have in the way of Manga is DBZ, and I REALLY need a change! Akira Toriyama's style is cool, but he just lacks that Hi-quality-Anime-style feel. I'm learning to draw anime, and I need something with good artwork that I can learn from. I'll look into anything you guys recommend. Thanks!
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby soul alive » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:44 pm

You would probably enjoy Rurouni Kenshin. It's a great samurai action series, for a thorough review, check out the 'manga reviews' section, you can find it along the top menu. The series is 28 volumes long and all of them have released in English, so you should have no problem collecting them.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Silent Hunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:53 pm

NARUTO!!! :) yay!! except for vol.1 and 11 -partial nudity- (read the review, it talks about it)

Bleach - pretty good, but a bit of spiritual/religious issues, if that poses a problem and some characters (not the main guy) make a constant issue of the nice body that one of the main female characters has

onepiece :) yay! i love the mangas for onepiece - very comedy-ish

[color=#000000]Me: "Hey, what's her last name?"

Brett: "Doesn't matter. It's going to change anyway."

Brett: "Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them?"

[/color]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Silent Hunter

Postby Myoti » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:59 am

One Piece is good, but I'd suggest you check it out first before you start collecting (especially since it's currently 43 volumes long and is only about halfway through). It is really good for a Shonen manga, though. There are lots of fights, but they're set out well and always unique and different.

(I'll PM you a bit more on it if you're interested. >.> )

I had collected about the first six volumes of Naruto, but after reading some of the later parts I decided it wasn't really worth it anymore (up to the Chuunin Exam was alright...). And Bleach has really started boring me, but that might be personal preference...
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:51 am

Well, the previous posters have all mentioned series you should probably look into as a starting point:

-Naruto
-Rurouni Kenshin
-Bleach
-One Piece

And since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll also recommend Full Metal Alchemist.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:21 pm

bleach (good overall manga. some fights are a little long but not as long as DBZ's)
hunter x hunter (great fantasy/adventure manga. more violent then your usual shonen manga though)
eyeshield 21 (if you're looking for a manga with a good story and humor)
fullmetal alchemist (very good manga. nothing else to say. very good manga.)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Photosoph » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:14 pm

I second/third/whatever: One Piece (although it does have longish fight scenes... but like Myoti says, they're set out well, and there's lots of comedy. ^^ Rurouni Kenshin is also a good one; more violence and blood, but from what I've read so far (up to Vol 5) I've really enjoyed it.
Another one is Fruits Basket -some non-Christian spiritual themes appear, but on the whole I haven't found it to be too invasive. It's romantic comedy/drama... which might not quite be your thing, but even though it's Shoujo, there are quite a few male readers who enjoy it too. It's not quite finished over in Japan, but the author is making an attempt to finally finish the series (so far I've got up to Vol. 19) so it'll probably be up to about 24-26 vols altogether, I think.

With all of these, like the people above have mentioned, check out the reviews. They've got a more comprehensive outline of what's included in these series.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:59 am

soul alive wrote:You would probably enjoy Rurouni Kenshin. It's a great samurai action series, for a thorough review, check out the 'manga reviews' section, you can find it along the top menu. The series is 28 volumes long and all of them have released in English, so you should have no problem collecting them.

Ditto. And the language, while sparse in the beginning, is practically non-existent by the third arc. I definitely recommend it. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Myoti » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:23 pm

And since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll also recommend Full Metal Alchemist.

Ah! How could I forget? Yes, the FMA manga is definetly another good series to collect (much better than the anime).

And ditto to Rurouni Kenshin (and perhaps Fruits Basket; you should check out a few first before collecting).

Ditto. And the language, while sparse in the beginning, is practically non-existent by the third arc. I definitely recommend it.

Kenshin was translated by Viz, wasn't it? Do they just have a habit of throwing in cusswords at the start then toning them down later (I believe they did such with One Piece, as well).
Myoti

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:59 pm

Myoti wrote:Kenshin was translated by Viz, wasn't it? Do they just have a habit of throwing in cusswords at the start then toning them down later (I believe they did such with One Piece, as well).

Probably. I recall seeing at least one or two curse words every volume up until about vol. 8...It started to decline after that, and I don't remember seeing anymore at all after the Kyoto arc (possibly before). The only other thing is that there are something like three instances in the series where someone is given the finger...vols. 4, 5, and one of the Jinchuu arc volumes, if I remember correctly.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Myoti » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:03 pm

Hm... it seems that even in scanlations the swearing is slow, so I guess there really isn't that much. And yeah, I noticed the finger parts, as well.

EDIT: Oh, and there do appear to be a couple of "suggestive" references in it, but nothing more than any other Shonen series. =p
Myoti

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:02 pm

Collect Samurai Legend. It's only one big fat volume of samurai fun. :lol:
USSRGirl

Postby yukishiro128 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:01 pm

I agree with most of what people said. I have all 28 volumes of Rurouni Kenshin, and everything so far of FMA, which, though I have read more, are probably the two that have the stuff you're looking for in a manga series. Especially Rurouni Kenshin- great art and great morals. :)
http://www.busybeeband.com--Most awesome high school band ever. Check it out.

Hurry up and install your home security systems, 'cause Jesus is coming like a thief in the night.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]ACCHONBURIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE][/font] :wow!:

:angel:
yukishiro128

Postby rurouninaruto » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 am

Rurouni Kenshin, FMA, Naruto, Bleach, Fruits Baskets and Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo.
rurouninaruto

Postby RidleyofZebes » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:39 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:The only other thing is that there are something like three instances in the series where someone is given the finger...vols. 4, 5, and one of the Jinchuu arc volumes, if I remember correctly.

Finger=more black sharpie! Don't worry.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby wingedfox » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:01 am

I'd say check out rorouni kenshin, Aria, and D.N.Angel
wingedfox

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 am

I'd recommend Rurouni Kenshin, D*N*Angel, TSUBASA RESERVOIR CHRONICLE [buy it. buy it NOW], Death Note, and possibly Black Cat and D.Gray-man.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:24 pm

you could also try akira. it's a good manga. some swearing and such but i don't believe there's any nudity. however, i may be wrong since i'm not finished with the manga series.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:49 am

I recommend Cyborg 009 (good luck finding it), Negima, Beck, Big O, Maison Ikkoku (funny stuff!), Yu Yu Hakusho, The Seikai Trilogy, ATrigun Maximum (be warned, it is very violent) and Please Save My Earth.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby KBMaster » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:23 pm

Maison Ikkoku (funny stuff!)

While it is funny, it does have nudity and suggestive refences. Some panty shots are thrown in there as well. Just thought I should warn ya.
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:07 am

rocklobster wrote:Negima

i've never read this manga but...lemme just say that the manga has LOTS of fanservice. so much that it needs to be sealed with an "Explicit Content" label on the cover.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:02 am

yeah, but it is a funny one if you can get past that.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:27 pm

There's a manga of Big O?! {{ o(^o^ )o }} {{ o( ^o^)o }} (<---dancing).

I agree - One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin and Fruits Basket are manga that I collect. One Piece and Rurouni Kenshin are more action orientated, and all contain comedy elements - One Piece in particular. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews