Rurouni Kenshin *spoilers*

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Rurouni Kenshin *spoilers*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:57 pm

So now that the manga has been fully released in America, what do you all think of it? I found it fun to watch Watsuki's art evolve- rather Kenshin's hair go from fluffy to flat XD(...Humidity?) What do you all think of the ending and Yahiko no Sakabato?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Well, I loved the ending (though I miss Kenshin's ponytail XD), and I also loved watching Watsuki's art style change. XD Especially since it was really not all that great in vol. 1. XD Unfortunately, I never could get my hands on a copy of the Shounen Jump magazine that featured Yahiko no Sakabatou. :( I did find scans of it a looong time ago, but I didn't read them because I didn't want to spoil the story at all. XD Now I wish I had!

I'm so glad I decided to keep up with the series, though. Even though I've spent more money on Rurouni Kenshin than I have on anything else in my entire life (28 volumes of manga, numerous DVDs, and a wallscroll really adds up, you know. XD), it's definitely worth it. I've been lending the volumes out to my friends now, so hopefully, they'll all enjoy it as well. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:10 pm

I just finished the manga. The Yahiko spinoff was enjoyable, but oculdn't comapre to your average side journey in the series.

I recommend watching the Samurai X OVAs to anyone who has just finished the Kenshin manga.
Tommy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah, but those don't really have a happy ending...

RD, you can order back issues of Shonen Jump from the website. Yeah, I miss his hair too...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:02 pm

i read about up to volume 17 then stopped. didn't really like the manga that much for some reason. it just didn't interest me.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rurouninaruto » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:45 am

I've read up to volume 15 of the manga, mostly because my freind has let me borrow so many. I'm trying to save up my money so I can buy the whole series. I love it so much. Yahiko no Sakabato wasn't the greatest thing, though. Didn't like it that much. ^^
rurouninaruto

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:41 pm

I think the artwork reached it's all-time highest peak by vol.17 and then started slowly declining in quality. (sure it evolved, but lost Sooo much detail and just...that something that made it great.) But I did like the ending and the "no Sakabato" sidestory thing.
Ichigo_89

Postby That Dude » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:39 pm

I was going to say the exact same things about the art but darn you Ichigo you had to go and riun what I was going to say. Anyway this is a great series and I own all of it...It's over the top at times but it always manages to stay entertaining and even moving at times.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:47 am

Ichigo_89 wrote:I think the artwork reached it's all-time highest peak by vol.17 and then started slowly declining in quality. (sure it evolved, but lost Sooo much detail and just...that something that made it great.) But I did like the ending and the "no Sakabato" sidestory thing.

Wow, you think so? I actually enjoyed the art more in the latter volumes, though that may have been because of the amazing storyline of the last arc, too. It just seemed to get cleaner and cleaner, and I liked the smaller eyes for the characters, too. Still, I guess you have to account for deadlines--My guess is, extra details make it really tough to hit the deadlines on time. XD;
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 am

The art seemed to get more cartoony and less edgy in the Jinchu arc. I think that the art was the best near the end of the Kyoto arc because it has the nice flatness and unpoofyness yet it's still highly detailed.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Mave » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:28 am

I agree that the art got more cartoony towards the end. I think my fav. peak was somewhere between the beginning of Jinchu up --> last two volumes (where I think the cartoony style started to emerge).

I have to say that I never really liked Watsuki's early style and was thrilled to see his art evolve during the Shishio arc. Everyone's hair was too poofy and Kenshin was super girly in the beginning, IMO! LOL

Another note of interest: Noticed how one or two characters started off looking quite different from their established design later on?

Example: Look at Aoshi's first appearance. I swear Watsuki-san debated whether he should use the Saitou Hajime hairstyle on Aoshi before deciding to let the bangs down. Also, Aoshi had panda eyes for the longest time (mascara/eyeliner overkill). XD

[spoiler] Then, you have Tomoe's first appearance where she kinda looked..eh weird (I can't explain it). I'm glad Watsuki-san decided to add layers to her front hairlocks, giving her the trendiest-looking female hairstyle in that Japanese era. Love it! [/spoiler]
Mave

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:46 am

Mave wrote:Example: Look at Aoshi's first appearance. I swear Watsuki-san debated whether he should use the Saitou Hajime hairstyle on Aoshi before deciding to let the bangs down. Also, Aoshi had panda eyes for the longest time (mascara/eyeliner overkill). XD

Aoshi's hair. XDD That definitely surprised me when I read vol. 3 the first time (I had not only watched the anime first, but I had also read vols. 2 and 4 before picking up 1 and 3). I'm so glad Watsuki decided to change it; Aoshi looks much better with his changed style. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:58 pm

It's really funny reading back in volume one-when Watsuki was deciding whether or not Kaoru would be Kenshin's love interest. XD

Tomore did look wierd at first... I still think one of his best designs was that of Kamatari (despite being gay...). I liked the kimono XD.

The short fight between Hiko and Fuji is still one of my favorites.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:26 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:The short fight between Hiko and Fuji is still one of my favorites.

Oh yeah, that was really cool! I think the prize for "favorite fight" for me has to go to Aoshi and Kenshin's second battle. I loooooved that whole scene in the manga. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Kenshin's preaching was really good too XD.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:17 pm

An enjoyable manga, overall, and one that I'm glad I read. I did so in a bizarre manner, starting in the middle, jumping to part of the end, reading the beginning section almost backward, then finally filling out the volumes I missed. There's a long, surprisingly uninteresting story behind that.

Shao Feng-li wrote:It's really funny reading back in volume one-when Watsuki was deciding whether or not Kaoru would be Kenshin's love interest. XD

I found all his commentary extras fascinating. Also, I'm surprised at how blunt he is about things. As a writer I can't imagine making some of the statements he made, where he basically confesses to making things up randomly and disliking them.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:40 am

I always thought Watsuki sort of rambled on in his commentaries, so I wound up skimming through most of them. Yes, I understand he loves X-Men and Samurai Spirits, but...

I generally enjoyed the series as a whole, although I felt that the Kyoto arc had a stronger series of fight progression than that of the final arc(Enishi vs. Kenshin excluded.) The last four guys before Enishi looked like Watsuki simply created them at the spur of the moment so that there would be fights at the end of the arc. Not to mention that they had ugly character designs. I'm sort of annoyed that Misao didn't get a fight or some sort of larger role at the end as well.

But overall, a few issues aside, I thought the series was well done.
While I'm not usually one to judge the quality of a series by the art, I think Watsuki develops a pretty good artstyle all things considering.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:28 pm

MasterDias wrote:I always thought Watsuki sort of rambled on in his commentaries, so I wound up skimming through most of them. Yes, I understand he loves X-Men and Samurai Spirits, but...

Well, I did skim some of those parts as well. But it is that rambling bluntness that I found so interesting. More dark curiosity than wanting to read from fascination]The last four guys before Enishi looked like Watsuki simply created them at the spur of the moment so that there would be fights at the end of the arc.[/quote]
In one of his notes he admits exactly that: he ran out of characters and didn't want the others to be sitting around, so he invented some guys and threw them in at the last second. Though I can't imagine not planning an arc enough to forsee this, if I ever did I would never admit something like that.
uc pseudonym

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 am

It is over! Oh, how sad, both that the series has concluded and that it bothers me this much. But I guess this a sign of how much I enjoyed the manga.

Kenshin's hair- man, it looked so much better after Watsuki's changed it so it didn't look like he blow dried it with a hair dryer on the 'Hurricane Force 1' setting.
Aoshi's hair- Much better down, although because of the abrupt change, it does look a little like Aoshi went out a nabbed a Meiji era hair piece.
Watsuki's commentary- I found it very interesting and valuable. I wonder if he really is that insecure or if he is just putting on a show for his readers.

I think Kenshin will forever remain one of my favorite characters, not only because of the character himself, but because of Watsuki's presentation of him. That is, Kenshin maintained his core values, but was able to grow and change over time as well.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Heh, the first time through I didn't notice Aoshi's hair change.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Myoti » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:36 pm

Just read the first 22 chapters (in one sitting). I'm actually kind of amazed I actually liked it this much. The artstyle (where I currently am) isn't my favorite, but it's definetly well done (I'll have to wait till I finish before saying any more on that).

I found all his commentary extras fascinating. Also, I'm surprised at how blunt he is about things. As a writer I can't imagine making some of the statements he made, where he basically confesses to making things up randomly and disliking them.

Of the few I've seen, I was thinking the same thing. It did seem quite odd to just openly throw all of that out like that.
Myoti

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:25 pm

I wish Watsuki would do something to continue Enishi's story after the series ended. That would be so cool...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:03 pm

My sister is obsessed with this series and has boughten every volume so I get lucky and get to read them all...

It was a very good series! wholesome and entertaining yet also thought provoking!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:06 pm

I got the Season III boxset and I managed to watch the first half of it.
I personally love Tales of the Meiji.
While inferior to the Jinchuu arc, the arcs in this are really well done and it surprises me Watsuki was uninvolved. Well, it makes sense WHY he was uninvolved due to the sudden catchup of the two.

To put it simply, it's the Dragon Ball GT of the RuroKen franchise, but it's actually in par with the rest of the series.

Also, I started the first half hour of the Rurouni Kenshin movie and so far I'm liking it. Crap compared to the series though. It's like 3 one-shot episodes. Nothing more epic than that.

The OVAs are darn good. Saw them both. "Trust and Betrayal" covered the action elements and "Reflections" was more based on the strong romance between Kaoru and Kenshin.

Also, One Piece fans might be happy to hear there is a One Piece reference in the final arc in the manga. Look for it, and you'll find it. :thumb:
Tommy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:36 pm

The Oda ref was the best XD

Heh, I haven't seen the TV series outside of what was on Toonami...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Well, I'm assuming they stopped where they did because one of the arcs in the third season contains some sketchy religious material.

For some reason, when I first read your post, I thought you were trying to say Oda was a referee. XD
Tommy

Postby That Dude » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:34 pm

Yeah Tom the manga-ka was a background artist for Watsuki so if you look closely you can find some more of his stuff popping up.
That Dude

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:52 am

Tom Dincht wrote:I personally love Tales of the Meiji.
While inferior to the Jinchuu arc, the arcs in this are really well done and it surprises me Oda was uninvolved. Well, it makes sense WHY he was uninvolved due to the sudden catchup of the two.

I'm not sure I fully get your statement but, what would Oda have had to do with the Kenshin anime series?

Mangaka are rarely that involved with anime adaptations of their work to my knowledge, let alone their assistants. And Oda wasn't Watsuki's assistant at that point in time anyway. The manga's Jinchuu arc and the TV filler arcs were running around the same time that he was beginning One Piece.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:21 pm

Ah...you caught me in my web of error, Master Dias
I meant Watsuki.
I will fix this NOW.
Tommy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:47 pm

It's weird, I was reading Watsuki's Buso Renkin 3 and he was saying that the assistants did a lot of the back ground scenery and people. It looks like he drew them, but they had to try and copy his style... *is being kinda really obvious...* XD

It's funny how different Buso Renkin is than Rurouni Kenshin, especially comedy wise...
Shao Feng-Li

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews