Is Tsubasa any good?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Is Tsubasa any good?

Postby Miso_Chan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:10 pm

Hey! I keep hearing about Tsubasa and I'm wondering if its any good. Please if you can give me a brief explanation of what it is and what you think about it. Thanks a bunch!
私は必死に日本への高等学校の外に移動することを希望し、日本の学生です。とにかく私の場合はより詳細な研究では、メインの仕方を知っているお問い合わせください!

私のお気に入りのアニメをしているカノンは、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱ハチミツとクローバー、カウボーイビバップ.
Miso_Chan

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:39 pm

yes. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle is an EXCELLENT manga. it's about this girl named sakura who loses her memory and she is accompanied by three other guys who help her find her memory back in the form of feathers. this manga is packed with plenty of fantasy action though it's not that violent and has an excellent compelling story. it's a pretty clean adventure manga with a touch of romance. what more could you expect from Clamp? this manga is a definite must-read for manga fans so you should try it. if you want to know more check out the review in the manga review section.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Swordguy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:06 pm

i enjoied it, i would recomend it if that means anything
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Postby rii namuras » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:19 pm

(Coming from someone who usually dislikes Clamp's works, I would highly recomend it as well -beautiful art, wonderful story, and well executed- but I would *really* like to point out that in the first volume, there's quite a bit of cursing. It's never much of an issue in later volumes, but definately worth noting.)
rii namuras

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:07 pm

It's quite good, I've enjoyed what I've read of it; however, I will say that it's quite pricey (10.95(?) for one volume @_@), but if you're cool with that, then buy it, it's good! :)
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:00 pm

Is Tsubasa any good? IS TSUBASA ANY GOOD!?

Heck YES it's good! The characters are memorable, the story is excellent, the art rocks, aside from the early language issues Rii-chan mentioned [which aren't that bad], it's squeaky-clean. Why are you still here reading my post? You should be buying it and reading it and loving it!

XD so I'm a fanboy. It's still good.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Yeito » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:11 pm

Personally, I would have to give this series an "alright".

I do own it. And I do get excited when a new volume comes out. I really really loved it at first, but then it got so freaking popular. And then the story started to drag. It's the tenth volume, and I think the 'real' badguy has shown up like... four times? And he hasnt even done anything productive.

The characters are memorable, yes. As everyone has obviously said. But I don't think the two main ones (sakura and sayoran) are very dynamic. Its the same thing over and over again.

Sakura: Oh wait I want to help even though that means I'm going to mess something up but it will turn into something good just so that I dont look like a total ditz because I'm just sOoOoO cute that everyone has to like me and if they don't then I'll get really sad and go into a depressed mode about how not good for anything I am.
(wow that was a long sentence @_@ )

Sayoran: No princess you cannot do anything because I must protect you and learn to fight better.

So... in the end: Yes. It is a worthwhile read. I'm just a sarcastic person. u_u; So with a good-but-slow plot, memorable-but-onesided characters, and awesome-yet-lanky art.... Tsubasa is a historical work in progress.

::cue dramatic closing music::

((And no I'm not attempting to step on any CLAMP/Tsubasa fan toes [because I am one myself] I am just merely stating what I notice in the series o.o ))
Yeito

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:23 pm

Yeito wrote:Personally, I would have to give this series an "alright".

I do own it. And I do get excited when a new volume comes out. I really really loved it at first, but then it got so freaking popular. And then the story started to drag. It's the tenth volume, and I think the 'real' badguy has shown up like... four times? And he hasnt even done anything productive.

The characters are memorable, yes. As everyone has obviously said. But I don't think the two main ones (sakura and sayoran) are very dynamic. Its the same thing over and over again.

Sakura: Oh wait I want to help even though that means I'm going to mess something up but it will turn into something good just so that I dont look like a total ditz because I'm just sOoOoO cute that everyone has to like me and if they don't then I'll get really sad and go into a depressed mode about how not good for anything I am.
(wow that was a long sentence @_@ )

Sayoran: No princess you cannot do anything because I must protect you and learn to fight better.

Hahaha, and this would be why Fai, Kurogane, and Mokona are my favorite characters (Fai being the best by far). Those three are just so much more interesting. :thumb:
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Rocketshipper » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:17 pm

Yeah, Tsubasa rocks!! The element I like the best is all the crossover stuff. Almost every world the characters have visited so far is based in some way on a previous CLAMP series and crammed full of cameos of old characters plus the series also crosses over directly with xxxHolic. The characters are pretty good, their is some good humor (yay for Mokona!), and some good action sequences and excellent artwork. Te plot reminds me a lot of that old Sci-fi TV show "Sliders". So far (at least in volume 10) the main plot hasn't come forward yet, but their has been a lot of teasing with Fai and Syaoran's pasts and the main villian with the spectacles, and the whole thing with the ruins in Clow World. I have a feeling that the series may be building up to some pretty epic stuff that may directly involve some of the plot lines of old series. (the main villian may be related to an important character from another series, their is the stuff that seems to be building with xxxHolic, and their is speculation that Tsubasa may effect the conclusion of X/1999 in some way). I've read bout some of the stuff that's been happening in the volume 16/17 chapters and it sounds very intriguing ^^. It's going to be pretty long though, CLAMP has said it will be more volumes than X (which is supposed to be 21 when it;s finished) and the rumor is that they are shooting for 150 chapters, or 24 graphic novels.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Bap » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 am

Personally, I think it's a little... boring at the moment. xD; I'm only on like.. volume 8 though, so I'm about... two volumes behind? In America at least. xD;

But yeah, while it gets interesting at some points, for the most part, I've found it... like I said, boring. u__u;;; I like the art style and stuff, and I think the whole Sakura and Syaoran thing is cute and sad, and etc, and there're things I like about it and stuff... xD; But storyline wise, I... dun really like it.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. xD; I think later on it can get really cool and interesting, which is why I'm still following it, but yeah. u_u;
Bap

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:05 am

[quote="Bap"]Personally, I think it's a little... boring at the moment. xD]

Hence why I only own volumes 2, 3, and 4 (a friend let me borrow 1). XD I didn't feel totally attached to the story, though I do like it, it's just that...10.95$ is too much to spend on a manga that might really grab me later on. XD

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like the series. It's just that it's not my favorite by far. It's fun to see the characters from other CLAMP series, and it's fun to see the interactions with the characters I mentioned earlier (Fai and co.), but other than that, it just hasn't really gotten a hold of me like some other series did earlier on. *shrugs*

Radical Dreamer

Postby Swordguy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:22 pm

never bougth it just bumbed it off of my friends...don't remember what i read to though
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:32 pm

I've been greatly enjoying Tsubasa, it's one of my favorite manga series. (Of course, I'm a bit biased as I'm a huge CLAMP fan)

The characters are interesting and fun, and still have a lot of room for development. I anticipate both Sakura and Shaoran developing quite a bit as characters in the future of the series. (I have to stick up for Sakura, she has an excuse at this point in that she's not exactly "whole".) There *is* a lot of development, and if you enjoy that you should be fine, but for those who want instant (or fast) plot gratification, yes, it might move a bit too slowly in that department.

The artwork is wonderful, some of CLAMP's best and very unique, with that distinctively ethereal, long, lanky look.

This is an especially good series for CLAMP fans, if they enjoy seeing their favorite characters in different settings and roles. Also, the dimension-hopping allows for a variety of settings for the core group to interact with. I'm eager to follow the adventures of Sakura, Shaoran, and crew, and see what world they end up in next!
Spiritsword

Postby QtheQreater » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:10 pm

Tsubasa is great! So far...heh...I've only read 2 novels...but I love Mokona and Fai already!!!!

*squeals*

Er...nobody saw that...got it?!?
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Riyo-Chan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:08 am

I own vol. 1-10 :P I love it....though the episodes are starting to drive me crazy... those are not as interesting
Rebirthing now, i wanna live for love wanna live for you and me. Breathe for the first time now. I come alive somehow.

My Site .:Alone In A Dream:.
Riyo-Chan

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:07 pm

Riyo-Chan wrote:I own vol. 1-10 :P I love it....though the episodes are starting to drive me crazy... those are not as interesting

yes. if you mean the anime, i don't think it's as good as the manga.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Shaera_Phina » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:32 pm

And to think this little conversation got me addicted
These are my drawings. Tell me what you think okey. =3

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/ ... /Drawings/
Shaera_Phina

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:48 pm

I've never read Tsubasa, or any CLAMP fare (aside from sitting in on Angelic Layer). Nor do I have any plans to, for the time being. Nothing against CLAMP, just not high on my reading list.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm

I read Volume 1. Had some potential to be a decent adventure manga at least. But, whenever there was any action, I had trouble figuring out what was going on in the panels.

Someone tell me if CLAMP's ability to draw shounen action scenes improves in Volumes 13+(?) which all the internet Tsubasa fans claim are better than some of the earlier volumes.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:11 pm

MasterDias wrote:Someone tell me if CLAMP's ability to draw shounen action scenes improves in Volumes 13+(?) which all the internet Tsubasa fans claim are better than some of the earlier volumes.

I didn't find it to be easy to understand up to volume four (as far as I've read). Really, the story just did not grab my attention. XD I will say that CLAMP's art style was much better and far easier to comprehend back when they did Magic Knight Rayearth (the only other series I recall reading and really enjoying by them). So yeah, I don't expect it to improve a lot past where I read, but who knows.

Radical Dreamer

Postby mai » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:34 am

I read up to volume 10, well actually I couldn't force myself to read volume 10 through. I found it rather boring and predictable. I probably would like it if I was a few years younger. Just too cute -_- The art is nice, the characters are nice but the story is really slow, and no, a bunch of random side stories do not count as plot development. Plus all the little adventures are all set up so the protagonist can win, every world they visit has the same purpose as it hides one of Sakura's memory feathers.

So basically it is a cute series, there have been hints that the story will get darker and [hopefully] better at some point. However I am not willing to spend $100 plus to find out.

Sorry -_- I really tried to like it...I wanted to.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:53 pm

After many, many discussions in other forums and RL, I've come to the conclusion that Tsubasa does not have as broad an appeal as most CLAMP series. It isn't surprising, since they explore more than one genre, and they have other 'niche' products, like 'Wish', which I am completely disinterested in. For me, Tsubasa is wonderful, but for some very subtle, difficult to explain reasons. The gathering of the memory feathers is boring and predictable because it is not the actual point of the series. It's just a plot device around which the real story gets painted.

I don't know. I just like storiesabout the growth of characters. That's probably why I also like the companion to Tsubasa, xxxHolic.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:19 pm

For me reading manga is simple:
If I can follow the story by more than just the dialogue, and by that mean if the art is neat enough to follow, then I will read it if the story is good and there isn't much profanity.

With Tsubasa, I couldn't follow the artwork it was just TOO shoneny. I mean I have read some Shonen novels before, My favorite manga IS a shonen manga. But the artwork in Kenshin was waaaay better than this.

Clamp needs to take a lesson from this: STICK TO SHOUJO.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby VerityDemortem » Thu May 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Tsubasa is amazing! It has beautiful artwork, well-arranged panels, human characters, twisty plot threads, deep themes, and . . . just about everything one could ask for! Don't read it if you don't like tragedy though, it gets pretty dark after the fifteenth volume.
[font="Times New Roman"][color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]" . . . silence is the language of the heart."[/SIZE][/color][/font]
VerityDemortem

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Actually, this thread is really old, so I think I'm gonna shut this one down. We usually discourage members from digging up really old threads, and I don't think this member would benefit from advice on the series any more, since this one was started four years ago. Anyways, welcome to the boards!

Radical Dreamer

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews