canadian

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

canadian

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:31 am

tokyopop is a distributor in canada and since canadas new anti gay hate laws tokyopop has to rate things with gays in them same as ones without. they can be sued otherwise.
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:59 am

I find that unlikely. First off, bill C-250 has not (as of yet) gone to third reading or a vote yet. Secondly, what the bill actually does is amend section 319 of the Criminal Code of Canada which is the section covering hate speech. This amendment simply extends existing hate speech laws to cover homosexuals. Restricting normal religious speech would also bring the law into conflict with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which would trump any such bill.

Also, this is a private member's bill, and it is more than likely it will come to a free vote anyways (ie. party discipline is not enforced).

It should be added that to be considered hate propaganda, the general criteria is:
a)advocates genocide
b)incitement to violence
c)group defamation

Under this criteria, only a bare handful of hate-speech prosecutions have ever been made. In addition, the decision to prosecute in each case must be made by Canada's attorney general.

Some info on the relevant Canadian law may be found at:
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/sf02998e.html

Tokyopop might still decide not to rate gay materials, but it will come down to a business decison, not a legal one.

/*edit: Sorry, application of the law is the decision of the provincial attorney general, not necessarily the federal one (it's been a while since I've had to know this stuff)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Stephen » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:06 am

You mean they might have to warn over homosexual content?!?!? FIDDLE STICKS!:rolls_eye
Stephen

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:08 am

Thanks for clarifying that, Techno, much appreciated!
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby inkhana » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:57 am

Still, one must wonder how long it will be until they ARE rated the same...surely it will happen someday.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

ok

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:06 am

Ok soory about new subjecti accidently hit new subject button instead of reply :sweat:

first of all i hat homosexaulity i love the people but hate the gayness with a passion

second of all the us constitution says all are eqaul so...............................if a manga has gay love a company would rate it the same as if it had straight love.........otherwise they could get into lawsuits based on the us constitution

PErsonally i thin kwe all deserve the same treatment it may not be good but its true........................

:poke: make a homosexaul friend and lead them to christ!!!!! :thumb: :dance:
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:29 am

Well, in reference to my post about TokyoPop's new mangas, I wasn't trying to come across that they should plaster HOMOSEXUAL MATERIAL across the cover, I was just mentioning to the other members that the rating system was the same for homosexual and non-homosexual content. And don't worry about the new subject thing, Christianotaku. But do it again, and you'll get flogged.:evil:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:19 pm

Technomancer describes the logical and legal side of things (and does so beautifully, I might add). But since when do people think about logic? In my opinion, it's only a matter of time...
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews