A question of content...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

A question of content...

Postby inkhana » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:12 pm

This is a little bit difficult to classify, but I'm gonna put it in the manga category for now.

I'm in a slightly sticky situation. In regards to Steelblood, my manga, I've been doing some thinking lately about the later issues. In my head I'm working on organizing the later plot, adding in character development and such, but in with that, I'm getting the idea that I should present more controversial (and yet more realistic and likely to occur) themes within the manga (ie, a Christian way of dealing with ___(fill in the blank)___ ) so it's not like there would be anything explicit shown. I've prayed in ref to this, but...I haven't really heard a definite answer yet as to whether I should do this or not. (Will keep praying on this point)

So I want to get the opinions of you guys. What do you think? Keep things a little happier, a little more family friendly? Or make it a little darker and more realistic while still being tasteful? (since I'm not going to draw sex or excessive violence, period, that's a moot point)

(Note: this doesn't apply to the comedy aspect, since that wouldn't change in either case)

Thanks for your opinion in advance!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby MillyFan » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:58 pm

I'd go for darker and more realistic while still being tasteful. Of course, that's just my opinion :)

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:09 pm

I haven't read Steelblood yet... I need to really feel like reading a webcomic that has archives before sitting down and reading one. I'm lazy that way, but I've been intending to read it, and I read the character bios :). Heck, I should start reading tommorow!

I'd go for the darker stuff. That's just me. If you read my wecomic, or just about any of my writing... well, not all of my writing, I do have some lighthearted stuff... but most of my fanfics and original stories... you will see that I tend to like the darker stuff.

Doing darker, more controversial stuff, might help people deal with dilemmas in their own lives. Even those of us who live very good and peaceful lives know that this is not an innocent world. The world in general seems to be getting darker. I think that's why people, in general, tend to be attracted to entertainment that isn't all happy and fluffy - lots of people like stuff that makes them really think. At least, that's the way I am.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:45 am

Considering my stories, I think most allready know what I'm gonna say... So, of course I think more realistic... I suppose, however, it depends on your target audience... And what God tells you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:09 am

I'd say darker, but that depends on what, ultimately, you want the comic to be about. In the end, a story about good vs. evil, must at some point account for both, and not in a simplistic fashion either (although many stories do). This doesn't mean you need to excise humour altogether, even in the dark there still can be a light.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ashley » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:49 am

I still believe a webmanga is just as much a method of communicating the author's stance on controversial things as much as a painting or sculpture is. It's your form of expression. So I don't think you should be afraid to tackle more controversial issues...besides, if it's all fluff and friendliness, to be blunt, people may not take anything to heart when they finish. Of course, above all else, if you do decide to go the darker route, do it tastefully and in a Christian manner....but somehow I feel that was a wasted expression. I have absolute faith you can handle this.
Ashley

Postby inkhana » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:46 am

Yes, I believe every one of you touched on aspects I have brought into consideration. Chances are this will be the way it goes, but I'm still open to other people's opinions as well. Thanks for your thoughts...^^

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:34 am

darker is better inmy opoinion,,, itry to keep my stories lil on the darker side-almost errie- (but still keep it G of course)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:08 pm

I've been having this same problem with The Traveller's Guide. Its first and foremost purpose will be to reach others with our Lord's good news of salvation, but many times I've been tempted to incorporate other controversial issues into the plot as well. (Of course, trying to deal with its technical aspects hasn't left me much time to think about the plot yet.)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:08 am

Unlike everyone else, I'm going to suggest the opposite: darker and more realistic.

Okay, so I'm going with the crowd. That is what I'd like to see. Do we really need another fluff story, Christian or not? A common accusation these days seems to be that the Church has its head in the clouds, and doesn't deal with real issues. So addressing said issues would be helpful for non-Christian reads (we can only hope, right?). Plus, what would a light, happy story help Christian readers? Of course, if you recieve an answer the other way, don't let us stop you.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:15 am

uc pseudonym wrote:So addressing said issues would be helpful for non-Christian reads (we can only hope, right?). Plus, what would a light, happy story help Christian readers? Of course, if you recieve an answer the other way, don't let us stop you.

Yes, I believe you're exactly right. I believe that's what I'm going to do.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:38 pm

I would always go with realism, but only when a valid point is made with it. I've read your comic and I like how you've been progressing in the second chapter. I love that you've stayed with a b&w color and then interspersed with color. I think it is more effective.

My friend, who has an online comic and is really good, looked over your stuff with me and she loved how you handled the panels. She would suggest, I think, as would I, that you should stay comical and fluffy at the beginning to introduce characters and make people like them, then get darker. Right now, I'd stay a little happy and comical to make sure people enjoy the characters you have, then I'd move to a darker story, with more serious aspects. Otherwise, people will start to feel yucky and move away from enjoying your comic.

Just read some popular mangas like Inu Yasha or Rayearth and watch how the characters progress. Hope I helped. :)

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:46 pm

I'd say a mix of the two. Make it serious yet not to forget that whereas a regular secular character would also get dragged into all the angst, a character with a foothold in God would still be a shining beacon.

Joy in the Lord always eventhough the world is pitch dark ;) At least, that's what I (try) to do in mine ^^

Go go go! Online Christian manga should start to expand like crazy!
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Gypsy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:58 pm

[quote="Psycho Ann"]I'd say a mix of the two. Make it serious yet not to forget that whereas a regular secular character would also get dragged into all the angst, a character with a foothold in God would still be a shining beacon.

Joy in the Lord always eventhough the world is pitch dark ]

Exactly what I was going to say. I was even going to use Psychoteers as an example.

(An update, Ann? For real?! Yay!!)
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Technomancer » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:30 am

I think Psycho Ann's dead on. When I think of the webcomic authors that I really like best, they seem to have a good mix of humour and some pretty heavy stuff. People like David Willis or T Campbell especially.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mave » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:07 am

You know, I'm very divided between "100% clean/censored Christian fantasy" or "hello, Christians in reality/the real world." Does any budding Christian manga artist feel the same way as I do?

That's what I wrote in my art thread...looks like I'm not the only one feeling the same...^^

First of all, I considered my target audience. Wasn't too difficult to figure this one out, since many A/M fans are teenagers/young adults and it's easier for me to relate and understand them at the moment. Since my target isn't really for younger kids...let's say, below 10 years, I'm not convicted when I plan to introduce more mature issues like pre marital sex, drugs, etc.etc.

I'm not sure what ppl mean by "darker" coz it means eerie and morbid and lo behold, I've got gothic in my mind. 0.o But what I think everyone's trying to get at is dealing with serious/realistic issues. I don't want to hide behind the smiling face saying that everything's OK. I want to be honest, "Yes, I admit I've got a lot of problems, struggles and issues in life just like everyone else...BUT the difference is Christ is with me and He guides me through them."

All in all, I think it's important to know what God wants you to produce. Honestly, I didn't really have to think too much to put together my manga (time limitation is a problem though). The ideas just came in once I figured out my goal in creating manga. To let the younger generation know that God loves them, has a great plan for them (so much potential to become great man/women of God who have impact on other ppl's lives) and wants to guide them through life in the world until the day He meets them face to face.....as long as they abide to Him.

On a note, I've had a caution to avoid magic/fantasy stories since I'm quite vulnerable to worshipping that kind of stuff. ^^ Thought i'll mention it just in case, ppl wonder why my manga solely deals with ahem...normal ppl and everyday life issue.

I guess it's hard to give specific guidelines since we don't really have a example/benchmark of good Christian manga. But isn't that what we're called for? It's up to us to become the pioneers. :thumb:
Mave

one more thing

Postby Mave » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:09 am

:sweat: I didn't see the poll...I can't vote since I'm divided on both options. Deal with topics that God has given you the grace and wisdom to really understand and have strong spiritual backing. I only dare to attack ONLY if I know I'm called to, I've been equipped and have confidence by the Spirit. For example, at this point, I simply cannot handle controversial issues like homosexuality and heavier theological stuff like speaking in tongues..In my manga, I did push a little at the altar calling element...0.o But I'll be more careful..
Mave

Postby wiggins » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:46 am

realistic and happy at the same time. Or maybe happy first to gain momentum, then hit the realistic part. That's why I voted for friendlier
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:16 pm

Someone voted for the other option! How does it feel to be a social misfit?

Please ignore that. It's just somewhat humorous. I actually agree with your reasoning, and you make a good point.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:53 pm

I voted to make it more realistic.

My reasons for voting so have already been stated by other posters. I'd suggest doing what true-noir-chloe said, start out lighter and gradually become darker and more realisic as the manga goes on.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby inkhana » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:03 pm

MichiruT wrote:That's what I wrote in my art thread...looks like I'm not the only one feeling the same...^^

LOL, you know, I meant to mention that. I totally forgot...:sweat:

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Mave » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:16 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Someone voted for the other option! How does it feel to be a social misfit?

Please ignore that. It's just somewhat humorous. I actually agree with your reasoning, and you make a good point.

hoho was that for me? Doesn't matter if it does or doesn't ...How could I ignore it? Why, being a social misfit is...well....erm......I can't decide, what polling options do I have? :hits_self :hits_self :hits_self

Alright, my brain's so fried at the moment. Pls bear with me. :P

Inky: Keep up the great job with the manga! Do you know Lisa 'Snow''s Shelter of Wings? She's actually one of the more established Christian online comic artist/mangaka I've seen, even though she doesn't join CAA. Just check out her beautiful artwork! It's not as dark as some ppl would prefer but it's fun and terribly inspiring for any budding Christian artist! Shelter of Wings
Mave

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:07 pm

Well it's nice
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Technomancer » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:15 pm

Since when were we ever living (as a whole) in such a fantasyland?

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby inkhana » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:35 pm

*herds people back on topic* Actually, I have seen Shelter of Wings (haven't read much though), and the artwork is just AWESOME.

I've been doing some thinking about what to put in. My problem is, they're my babies, I'm a big wuss, and I don't wanna hurt them...LOL But I think it's inevitable at some point over the course of things that they will be hurt at some level; it wouldn't be very realistic if they didn't have something to endure.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:42 am

MichiruT wrote:hoho was that for me?

No, it wasn't, actually. It was just funny to see approximately 15 people on one option, and on the other... one.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:57 pm

Well no one has to die but you can show emotion
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby inkhana » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:53 pm

Well, showing the characters white as light kinda defeats the purpose of making them realistic, since none of us are precisely a white light...

Oh....*bops SouthernSun with a stick* That's what you get for making unoffensive jokes...:evil: :P

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:59 pm

What about a super intelligent shade of the color blue...?
Mithrandir

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:27 pm

I can't remember if this was already asked, but what kind of audience are you aiming for, Ink?

(I remembered since my first post on this thread that I'm aiming The Traveller's Guide for a general audience and should probably stick with the basic gospel message and leave out the more controversial issues that little children may not even understand.)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews