Sakura Kinoshita Appreciation Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Sakura Kinoshita Appreciation Thread

Postby Debitt » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:11 pm

:grin: I am a very excited fangirl - I recently got my hands on the first chapter of Sakura Kinoshita's new manga, New Paradise, and in celebration I've decided to start up a lovely Sakura Kinoshita appreciation thread.

Who is Sakura Kinoshita? For those of you who are unfamiliar with her work, Sakura Kinoshita is the author of Matantei Loki, Matantei Loki Ragnarok, and New Paradise, and the co-author of Tactics (the other author being Kazuko Higashiyama). She is also a member of the doujinshi circle Mad Cookie Monster (the other member is, surprisingly, Kazuko Higashiyama), and oddly enough they write a good amount of Tactics doujinshi.

In fact, I think most of Mad Cookie Monster's stuff is Tactics doujinshi...but I digress.

All of Sakura Kinoshita's major manga series are based off of mythology in some form or another. Matantei Loki/Ragnarok is based off of Norse mythology, while Tactics and New Paradise are based off of elements of Japanese folklore (Tactics moreso than New Paradise thus far). Even better than this, is the fact that her work is almost entirely clean, with very little swearing or fanservice that I can think of off the top of my head. And did I mention that her art is unbelievably beautiful? *points to attachments*

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we all should love Sakura Kinoshita. :lol: I'll go crawl back under my rock now. XD With the latest issue of Tactics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:12 am

Well, seeing as much as I've implanted Giant Robo into your head, I guess I owe you this.

Having seen one episode of Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, I can safely say.... Thor is cool.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:29 am

Yay for Sakura Kinoshita!!

*sees new manga title*

Ooo. What is New Paradise about, Koko-chan?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:43 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Yay for Sakura Kinoshita!!

*sees new manga title*

Ooo. What is New Paradise about, Koko-chan?

Paradise. But not the old one. The *NEW* one!

Or something completely different!
Joshua Christopher

Postby Debitt » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:29 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Ooo. What is New Paradise about, Koko-chan?

So far my meager skills in Japanese have deduced as such: the main character is a high school(?) boy who slays youkai - with a spiffy revolver. Things are not all good, however, as one of his friends gets kidnapped by a black youkai, who eventually ends up in his company. XD; Yeah, I really need to sit down and translate this one instead of just skimming and staring at the pretty pictures.

Someone on Livejournal mentioned that in the world New Paradise takes place in, humans are the oppressed minority, while youkai are the ruling class. It doesn't particularly seem that way, except for the first couple pages, where you see something like a flashback of a fight between the black youkai and a mysterious dude who totes a gun - my guess is that the main character is a reincarnation of the mysterious dude, whom the black youkai now wants to seek revenge upon? xD But I'm totally just throwing ideas out there now - like I said I really need to sit down and translate this.

Debitt

Postby Joshua Christopher » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:23 am

This does not sound like much of a paradise. : O

But guy with revolver=awesome. Revolver Ocelot. Revolver Joshelot. YES.

Scan some pictures pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. ; 3
Joshua Christopher

Postby Spiritsword » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:51 pm

Yay Sakura Kinoshita! Besides having an awesome first name and incorporating Norse mythology into her work, her art is absolutely fabulous! But how about posting a few pics of the cute girls she draws, Kokoro? We guys would appreciate that aspect of her artwork. ;)

Sakura Kinoshita is great! I look forward to the next volume of Loki Rangnarok and am strongly considering buying the first DVD of Matantei Loki.
Spiritsword

Postby Kami » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:55 pm

<333 I wish they would release Tactics and Loki Ragnarok. I read 3 other manga online, so I would rather not resort to that ! XD;

-Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby Joshua Christopher » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:32 pm

[quote="snowangel kamui"]<333 I wish they would release Tactics and Loki Ragnarok. I read 3 other manga online, so I would rather not resort to that ! XD]

They are out, pick them up at your local manga-carrying bookstore.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Debitt » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:09 pm

[quote="snowangel kamui"]<333 I wish they would release Tactics and Loki Ragnarok. I read 3 other manga online, so I would rather not resort to that ! XD]
They're out, however they're so painfully slow at releasing her manga. T_T; I was incredibly upset when Matantei Loki Ragnarok 3 was pushed back from June to DECEMBER. *foams at mouth* I am not ADV's number one fan. :lol:

Debitt

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:27 pm

[quote="Kokoro Daisuke"]They're out, however they're so painfully slow at releasing her manga. T_T]
Is that why the second issue of Tactics has never appeared in the bookstore? Ah.
Just reading 'June to December' is enough to irk me. :eh: Sheesh.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Debitt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:55 pm

Tactics 2 has been out for a while, but it took me a lot of running around and twitching before I finally procured myself a copy. Tactics 3 still has an unknown release date, which really irks me because that's an interesting volume. T_T; It's so annoying how spastic their release dates are - my brother started collecting Yotsuba& and got the first volume of it after I had gotten my copy of Tactics 2. Now three volumes of Yotsuba& are out, and there's still no sign of Tactics.

I really do enjoy Yotsuba&, but I want my beloved Tactics! :waah!:

On another note, I just got the first Matantei Loki Ragnarok DVD today...*_* You all should too. I'm so happy right now. XD I think I'm going to change my avatar to Loki or Heimdall.

Debitt

Postby Spiritsword » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:01 pm

I just got my copy of Matantei Loki Ragnarok (anime) the other day. I have watched two episodes so far (twice) as I am trying to make it last. But I have yummy pizza to eat tonight so I shall watch Ep. 3 tonight!

Kokoro, is the anime series based on the first manga series, or both? I thought the first manga series was Matantei Loki, and the second (that is out in the US) was Matantei Loki Ragnarok. But then I see that the anime (which I thought was based on the first manga series) has "Ragnarok" in its title. I'm confused... :sweat:
Spiritsword

Postby Debitt » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:38 pm

If I had to choose one, I think I'd have to say that the anime is based more off of the 1st series, though it really does go off on its own track most of the time. I think it's called Matantei Loki Ragnarok because at the time it was made, Squenix still had the rights to the first series, while Mag Garden, who is credited in the anime, had the rights to the 2nd series.

^^ Scanned a picture of the Black Youkai from the September Comic Blade issue. It's really supposed to be in color, but my scanner whacked out on me. XD; I'll have to scan more, there's a girl in there who looks a bit like Verdandi and I thought of you, Spiritsword.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Debitt

Postby Spiritsword » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:47 pm

Thanks, Kokoro! I can always count on you for the best Sakura Kinoshita info!

And thanks for the pic! Yay! I look forward to the other you mentioned as well, if you post it! ^___^
Spiritsword

Postby Kami » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:49 pm

:: Fangirl squeal :: I got Loki the Anime today :: Evil Smirk :: OHMYGOSHILOVEITSOMUCHIWANNADIE.

-Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby Spiritsword » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:54 pm

So those who have gotten the Loki Ragnarok anime, (especially our resident expert Kokoro), what do you think of the opening and closing animation and songs? How about the dub voices (or do you listen to the dub)?
Spiritsword

Postby Debitt » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:54 pm

the opening, both the song and the animation took a while for me to warm up to, though I admit I absolutely love Loki and his pretty shiny wings. ^^

Believe in Heaven = the bestest ever. I LOVE the closing animation, the song, GAH~ *fangirls* It and Tactics's opening, Secret World are among my favorite OP/ED sequences...ever ever. o.o

The dub...I was actually very pleasantly surprised with the dub. There was only one completely unbearable voice, and that was Koutarou's. *shudders* Heimdall and Mayura's voices I actually really liked. Loki and Yamino's voices fit, but there were very obvious moments where they were lacking in enthusiasm - or maybe it's because I'm really used to hearing Loki shout "MAYURA" in his Japanese voice. :lol:

Debitt

Postby Debitt » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:30 pm

Old thread with new news.

Take a gander at the release date and feel your heart explode

...as much self control as it's taking, I'm not going to launch into a rant about ADV's disappointing treatment of Sakura Kinoshita's work.

Debitt

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:45 am

You're KIDDING me. That has GOT to be a typo.

On another note, I have quite a pressing question. Is Sugino a guy or a girl? The fansubs I saw and his voice made me quite sure he was a guy, but the English manga seems to make him a girl (and Muu a boy). This is troubling, so I thought I'd ask the experts. The manga was quite traumatic, as I had thought Sugino was pretty hot... ;_;
Aka-chan

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:44 am

2012!? That's not possible! I mean, surely they wouldn't even schedule releases that far in advance. Surely that's a typo. . . surely. . .

*begins rallying the peasants*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby mai » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:04 pm

2012... I'm going to be 22 by then *dies*. I really hope that was a typo, I mean it doesn't take that long to translate it and there other comics are coming out faster..I think.
Has a reason been given as to why it has taken so long?
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Debitt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:26 pm

[quote="Aka-chan"]On another note, I have quite a pressing question. Is Sugino a guy or a girl? The fansubs I saw and his voice made me quite sure he was a guy, but the English manga seems to make him a girl (and Muu a boy). This is troubling, so I thought I'd ask the experts. The manga was quite traumatic, as I had thought Sugino was pretty hot... ]
Sugino is indeed a man...if you listen to the anime/read the Japanese manga, he refers to himself with "ore"...so the gender confusion is SUCH a bad mistake on ADV's part. *grumbles*

And nope...haven't seen a reason for ANY delay at all. Matantei Loki Ragnarok 3 was originally scheduled for June 2005, and ADV has declined to answer any of the letter's I've sent them. (1 calling them on translation errors in Tactics, 1 asking why a banner advertising Tactics on their site uses art from vol. 3 when they haven't even given a release date for vol. 3, and 1 questioning why they haven't told us why Loki 3 has been delayed so badly...I think they're getting sick of me.)

Debitt

Postby Tarnish » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:36 pm

Like I didn't already have enough reasons to hate ADV...
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:Sugino is indeed a man...if you listen to the anime/read the Japanese manga, he refers to himself with "ore"...so the gender confusion is SUCH a bad mistake on ADV's part. *grumbles*

And nope...haven't seen a reason for ANY delay at all. Matantei Loki Ragnarok 3 was originally scheduled for June 2005, and ADV has declined to answer any of the letter's I've sent them. (1 calling them on translation errors in Tactics, 1 asking why a banner advertising Tactics on their site uses art from vol. 3 when they haven't even given a release date for vol. 3, and 1 questioning why they haven't told us why Loki 3 has been delayed so badly...I think they're getting sick of me.)

Good. I flipped out so bad when I read "she". I was pretty sure of all that.

Terrible. Sheesh, maybe we should all write to them. Got an address?
Aka-chan

Postby Debitt » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:22 am

http://www.advfilms.com/FILMScontact.asp

That's all I can find right now. I need to go digging through the Tactics LJ community to find their mailing address. <3

Debitt

Postby mai » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:57 am

Tactics is listed on Tokyopop's site as being released in April 2007.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Debitt » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:37 pm

*_* They finally gave a release date?! *JOY* I am SO excited! X3 I really wanted to support Sakura Kinoshita's work in the US, and it was a real bummer to see ADV's release go down the tubes.

Debitt

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:12 am

Aka-chan wrote:Good. I flipped out so bad when I read "she". I was pretty sure of all that.

Me too! I did the same thing actually: "Kokoro!!! Is Sugino a guy or a girl?!?" :lol:

In the anime his voice is way to low to be a girl's voice. And if he were a girl(which he's not) he would win the award for being the most flat chested anime girl I've ever seen. :lol:

Humm I must be out of it. I never even realized there were 2 manga series. No wonder I was confused by how different the manga seems. :hits_self

Has anyone seen the last episode of Loki and knows who that girl character is (the one at the very end that they show ringing the door bell)?? I always thought maybe she was someone from the manga that we never got to meet but maybe I'm wrong. And we only see her for like 2 seconds so I always hoped it was a hint at a second season of Loki (although that doesn't seem likely).

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Debitt » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:29 am

MyrrhLynn wrote:Has anyone seen the last episode of Loki and knows who that girl character is (the one at the very end that they show ringing the door bell)?? I always thought maybe she was someone from the manga that we never got to meet but maybe I'm wrong. And we only see her for like 2 seconds so I always hoped it was a hint at a second season of Loki (although that doesn't seem likely).

^_^ That's Spica/Angrboda, the mother of Fenrir, Hel, and Jormungand/Yamino. She shows up pretty early on in the second manga series - I'm not sure why she's randomly at the end of ep. 26, but I was happy to see her for just a little bit. XD

Debitt

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews