One Piece Discussion (Spoilers)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:43 pm

I picked up the series with the fights on the train, so I might not be able to contribute unless that's fairly close to where you left off.

Myoti wrote:Is Sanji going to get up and do something?

You would assume the effect can wear off in some way. Perhaps seawater would fix it?
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:47 pm

Okay, I'm gonna back real quick and cover the Franky flashback (though I think it actually happened on the sea train):

Cutty Flam (renamed "Franky" by Iceburg) is trained, along with Iceburg, by Tom the shipwright how to make ships. Years later, Tom tells Iceburg and Franky about the blueprints he has to the ancient weapon, and that Tom will be arrested for them.

At the courthouse, however, Tom tells everyone about his plans for the seatrain. Everyone is excited, and decides to put off the trial until it's done. When that day comes, everyone knows Tom will be acquitted.

However, Spandam of CP5 takes Franky's "Battle Franky" ships and attacks, putting the blame on Tom and Franky. Franky denies he made them, making Tom angry.

Tom is taken away on the seatrain, but Franky tries to get in the way to stop it. He fails, but survives, and drags himself away to rebuild his own body.

Back to Now:

After a discussion with Iceburg, Chopper and Nami join up with Galley-La to find Luffy and Zoro and rescue Robin. CP9 is currently busy trying to locate "Cutty Flam."

Franky has kidnapped Usopp and Going Merry, but after hearing Usopp's tale, Franky becomes friends with him. Usopp tries to fix the ship, but Franky tells him it's no good (throws Usopp underwater to prove it). Usopp says he knows, but believes he saw something like the "spirit" of the ship. Franky realizes it must have been a "Klabauterman."

CP9 finds the Franky Family (who are trying to use Usopp as bait), and figures out where Franky is. They show up at Franky's base and take him away. Usopp gets away and follows them.

After finding Zoro and Luffy, the two and Chopper and Nami learn that, because of Aqua Laguna, no ship can go on the seas. However, CP9 is taking the only Sea Train. Fortunately, they find a note left by Sanij, saying he boarded the train to save Robin.

Kokoro then reveals there is another sea train (Rocketman), but it is quite dangerous. The Strawhats, Galley-La (Paulie, Lulu, and Tilestone), and the Franky Family team-up on the Rocketman to follow after the Puffing Tom.

On the Puffing Tom, Sanji battles through several CP members, including Jerry and Wanze. He finds Franky and Usopp (now "disguised" as Sogeking), though they soon split up to get through the ship (the car containing T-Bone is broken off from the rest). Franky battles with another CP9 member, Nero the Sea Weasel, and knocks him into the CP9 train (Usopp snuck in and tried to save Robin).
Robin refuses to leave, but Sanji and Usopp take her and jump onto another car (which they break off from the train).

On the Rocketman, everyone gets ready, Luffy and Zoro attack Aqua Laguna, and Zoro cuts through one of the oncoming cars and later T-Bone.

On the broken car of Puffing Tom, Blueno creates an "air-door" to reach them and take back Franky and Robin (Sanij tries to fight, but Blueno's Tekkai negates the attack).

Sanji and Usopp (I think he went with them) jump aboard the oncoming Rocketman as the trains near the Nevernight Island, Enies Lobby.
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:04 pm

Robin and Franky are taken to the Tower of Justice, where the other CP9 members are revealed: Kumadori, Jyabura, Fukurou, and their leader Spanda....m.
Fukurou tests their strengths and sets up a "Rokushiki" chart. Kaku and Kalifa later eat two new Devil's Fruits.

The Strawhats and their allies fight through Enies Lobby (with Luffy running on ahead), running into the pirate-Jury and Baskerville. Luffy makes it the Courthouse roof, where he faces off with Blueno. After some fighting, Luffy reveals "GEAR 2nd" and wipes out Blueno.
The others continue to fight their way through (with Usopp even making friends with the giant guards, who were apparently working here to get back their bosses, Dorry and Broggy, but Usopp revealed that it was a lie). The Strawhats meet up at the roof while Franky Family and Galley-La try to reach the bridge switches.

In the Justice Tower, Franky hears Luffy and uses "Coup de Poo" to escape with Robin. However, Robin continues to say she doesn't want to go and Franky is knocked out by Kaku. Eventually, Robin has a sudden flashback...

Robin Flashback:
Ohara, only ones that care about Robin are Professor Clover and his colleauges, but they find that Robin was reading the Polyglyphs. They tell her she can't, and she runs off. Robin meets Hagwall (or "Jaquar?" don't know where that came from...) D. Saul and they become friends.

Nico Olvia (Robin's mom) comes to the island, soon followed by CP9. Olvia tells the archaeologists that she was the only survivor on her trip. CP9 captures them and Robin. Clover reveals alot about what the World Government was and some ancient land, but is shot and the Buster Call initiated. Saul helps Robin escape, but the archaeologists die in the Tree of knowledge. The others on the island that tried to escape are blown up by Akainu.

As Saul runs off with Robin, he is shot in the face. He becomes angry and destroys one of the battle ships, but is soon stopped by Kozue (aka, Aokiji). However, Aokiji allows Robin to escape. Robin is always on the run, eventually meeting up with the Straw hats.

Back to now:

Luffy still wants to save Robin, and Robin eventually realizes that's what she wants as well. Hearing this, Franky pulls out the Weapon plans and burns them in front of CP9. The bridge is let down, but stops partway. Rocketman then comes through, slamming into Baskerville (who was three guys together) and jumps the bridge. The Strawhats jump aboard as well as Franky (who was pushed off by Spandam).

In the Tower of Justice, everyone takes off to fight.

I'm sure you can take it from there (if not, I can write some more).

You would assume the effect can wear off in some way. Perhaps seawater would fix it?

Possibly. I thought it might have just worn off somehow (since it's basically just soap).
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:28 pm

It makes sense that it would wear off. I was just wondering if water would negate the effects of Devil Fruit powers as well as the powers themselves.

Anyway, I'll finish up the summary. Unfortunately, I haven't invested any effort into learning the names of the members of CP9. Regardless, the group splits up into different groups. We learn that each member of CP9 has a key that opens a specific lock. One of these will free Robin, but they do not know who has that key.

People jump between fights a fair amount, but things end up like this: Franky has defeated Fukuro. Zoro and Usopp are locked together by another set of handcuffs and fighting two members of CP9 (the one that looks like Usopp and transforms into a giraffe and the one that transforms into a wolf). Chopper was sent to get the key to open their handcuff, but ended up running into the guy with all the hair and defeated him using his monstrous form. Nami is fighting the female member (which is what is happening right now). Meanwhile, Luffy is chasing the leader and has just caught up to him.

Did I miss anything? That doesn't give you play by play, but it is the essence of what has happened.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:40 pm

Nope, that about covers it.

Hair guy : Kumadori
Giraffe : Kaku
Wolf : Jyabura
Leopard : Lucci
Girl : Kalifa
Leader : Spandam
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Thu May 18, 2006 5:50 pm

Luffy vs. Lucchi fight has already started, but so has the Buster Call! Definetly and interesting turn of events.

Its looks like Nami's fight could be over by next chapter, after being interuppted by Chopzilla.

After that, we finally get to see the Zoro/Soge vs. Jyabura/Kaku fight (which is bound to be a pretty amazing one).

I still wonder what Oda plans to do with the falling part of the tower, though.
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 19, 2006 12:26 pm

I'm just wondering how many guys Chopper is going to end up taking out. It'd be funny if he ends up defeating a good portion of the opponents by himself.

Regarding Zoro's fight: do we know who has or had the key to it? Or are most of the keys still unknown?
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Fri May 19, 2006 1:25 pm

My bets are on Kalifa having the key. Kumadori didn't have it (Nami stole it), Franky found that it wasn't on Fukurou (at least, I don't THINK that it was that key), and Jyabura and Kaku both said they don't have it.

Also, it looks like Chopper WON'T be the one to defeat Kalifa (he pretty much just attacked the girls, threw a bed down near where Sanji was, then wandered off). And Nami has found how to get the soap off (water), so this should be over by next chapter.
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Fri May 19, 2006 2:02 pm

Thanks for those recaps, Myoti. They helped alot.
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Fri May 19, 2006 7:13 pm

You are greatly welcome, Tom. Welcome "With a DON!" XD
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Sat May 20, 2006 7:45 am

XD
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:59 pm

With a new chapter, comes a new BUMP of this thread (and new avvie for me).

So we finally get the Kaku fight up and, surprisingly, the first bit seems to me more of a "comic relief" fight than anything. Not that that's a BAD thing, just unexpected for Zoro.

And Jabura's fight seemed to end rather quickly, though dissapointingly. Sanji gains a new "power-up" of sorts, but, again, one that makes a bit more sense (according to the physics of the Oda's world Xp ).
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:35 am

Time to bump.

200 Marine captains (some with DFs!), Luffy goes down for the moment (it appears), and Usopp finally ditches the mask.

Let's hope Oda canmake this work without pulling a "Deus Ex Machina." =o

EDIT: No one wants to discuss anymore? =p

Lucci fight, END. And daaaaaang, seems like a good one (full chapter is not out yet, which is why I say "seems" XD ).
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:34 pm

I liked the new updates this series had to offer.

It's nice to see that Kobi has aged but it appears to have been to fast. He looks TOO different than he used to and appears to be the only character in the show that has aged.

Also, it's cool to know that Dragon is Luffy's father. I can't wait to see how much more twists and turns Oda will pull on us.
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:40 pm

Heh. I subscribed to this thread long ago but stopped reading the recent One Piece chapters, then it gets updated and I'm immediately struck by something that is likely to be one of the biggest spoilers in the series. Not a big deal, though. Dragon has always been the character I'm most curious about in One Piece.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:32 am

Ack! I missed this getting bumped.

Monkey D. Dragon. Not too much of a shocker for me, but still definetly an interesting turn. I was more surprised by the revealing of Luffy's grandfather. Definetly not what I expected.

Most recent chapter:
Shanks and Whitebeard meeting. It seems Whitebeard is actually a pretty decent person, as he speaks about stopping Blackbeard for killing of his crewmates.

I'm also really doubting Ace will beat Blackbeard here, though it could make for an interesting situation for the Strawhats if something happens to Ace (such as coming to help him out later).
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:37 pm

I may have to begin reading One Piece again, with the inclusion of the top pirate crews. Have they done much of anything since being introduced in the Skypeia arc?

Shanks and Whitebeard's battle looks intense. The element of the heavens splitting is kind of cool, but it strikes me as a bit superlative for this point in the series. I'm rooting for Shanks, of course, and it is interesting to see his aura lone knock out much of Whitebeard's crew.

It would be interesting if they show up in time to help Ace. That's another set of characters sitting in the top ranks of One Piece.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:44 pm

Shanks and Whitebeard's battle looks intense. The element of the heavens splitting is kind of cool, but it strikes me as a bit superlative for this point in the series. I'm rooting for Shanks, of course, and it is interesting to see his aura lone knock out much of Whitebeard's crew.

I get the geeling the 'heaven's splitting' part is suppose to be some sort of representative thing or something, as well (since they talked about how they're now 'at war'). That and it is cool. XD
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:02 pm

All the really powerful cool guys tend to show up occasionally but their appearances are few and far between. Still, all of this information we have learned has been interesting. The Four Pirate Emperors, huh...

I nearly did a double take when I saw Coby and Helmeppo. Oda did a number on their character designs. I vaguely wonder if any of the other characters that we haven't seen in awhile(Tashigi for instance...) will get makeovers as well when they reappear.

Also, Aokiji seems somewhat more interesting after his talk with Robin.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:31 pm

I nearly did a double take when I saw Coby and Helmeppo. Oda did a number on their character designs. I vaguely wonder if any of the other characters that we haven't seen in awhile(Tashigi for instance...) will get makeovers as well when they reappear.

I think all of us did on that one. I've also begun wondering how Tashigi may look if she shows up soon.

Also, Aokiji seems somewhat more interesting after his talk with Robin.

I've thought quite a bit about him since he was introduced during the DBF. Honestly, I doubt he'll be one to get in the way of the Strawhats much anymore (unless ordered to do so or such). He seems to be alot along the lines of Smoker, believing in 'true justice,' compared to the 'everyone against us must die' mindset of the rest of the Government.
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:50 pm

Myoti wrote:I've thought quite a bit about him since he was introduced during the DBF. Honestly, I doubt he'll be one to get in the way of the Strawhats much anymore (unless ordered to do so or such). He seems to be alot along the lines of Smoker, believing in 'true justice,' compared to the 'everyone against us must die' mindset of the rest of the Government.

I've been wondering something actually ever since we found out the last of the three great powers. Will the Straw Hats have to fight and defeat all of the Three Naval Admirals, Seven Sea Warlords, and Four Pirate Emperors?
Generally, whenever you hear of major groups like these in a shonen manga, they are an obstacle for the protagonists to defeat...

Sure, we know the cruel and "evil" ones will eventually get what's coming to them, but will there ever be a time when Luffy has to face Shanks as an opponent?

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:49 am

Well, I don't see them fighting everyone, especially since there are some they still can't do much to (namely Aokiji and Smoker), but I do see him fighting Shanks, possibly in the end. Not so much as Shanks being a real "obstacle" as it is for the simple fact that Luffy stated (back when he was a kid), that he would "get a crew strong enough to beat his."
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:29 pm

Actually, I have a pet theory about the end of One Piece. I think that instead of being "Luffy Pirates vs Everyone" it will be "Pirates vs Everyone Else." For example, all the evil forces (perhaps including some pirates) will team up and it will take Luffy's crew, Shank's crew, and perhaps even Whitebeard's to defeat them. Perhaps a massive battle in which everyone important gets a climactic fight and then something with Raftel.

Beyond that, though, I could see the series ending with the idea of friendly competition between rival pirate groups.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:48 pm

That actually is about what I've imagined, and as I said, the "friendly competition" could come down to Shanks crew against Luffy's, just to see if Luffy lives up to what he claimed before (perhaps in Raftel itself).

I'm also a bit torn between what Raftel could actually be. Is it the ancient civilization Clover spoke of, or could Raftel, instead of an island, actually be at the true "end of the Grand Line:" Reverse Mountain (or possibly both).
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:32 pm

Well, it appears the crew has gotten another bounty hike (this has only happened twice, correct? After Arlong and then before Skypeia?). Sitting at a collective 717 million they're not exactly small fish anymore. I'm wondering how this next arc, whenever it begins in earnest, will develop. It is the movement of the Strawhats up the ranks (as well as personal upgrades, like Zoro getting better swords) that has always interested me most in One Piece. My interest tends to wane during arcs.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:44 pm

Indeed. Though I do like the Arcs themselves, the inbetween points tends to be when things start to get really interesting.

And it's 717,000,050. ;p
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:52 pm

Has there been an "upgrades" section after the Section 9 arc? I know Zoro broke one of his swords but I'm out of touch (and too busy to go back and read) so I don't know of anything else that might have developed.

[quote="Myoti"]And it's 717,000,050. ]
Was Chopper's bounty literally 50? I assumed the scanlator was too lazy to add "million" again. I was including his as 50 million, so the actual total is 712,000,050.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:14 pm

Straw Hat Luffy - 300,000,000 Belli
-Well, Luffy seems to be getting into the Shichibukai ranges now. Other than that, not much to say about this one.

Pirate Hunter Zoro - 120,000,000 Belli
Also, fairly expected. I'm wondering why the World Government hasn't changed his nickname however. It's been quite a long time since he has actually hunted pirates...

Nico Robin the Devil Child: 80,000,000 Belli
She just got a 1,000,000 Belli boost and an upgraded pic. Although, 79,000,000 was sort of a weird number for a bounty anyway.

Sanji "the Black Leg": 77,000,000 Belli
Alright, this has to be the most hilarious thing I've seen in One Piece in awhile. Poor Sanji got a crappy composite sketch on his wanted poster that looks like some kid drew it. The note under it that says something to the effect of "A slight blunder was made in obtaining this photograph" makes it even funnier... not to mention his "Who...is...this?" reaction.
At least he got a pretty cool nickname...

Franky the Cyborg: 44,000,000 Belli
Sounds about right. He hasn't officially joined yet, but with the amount of focus he has had, plus that flashback, plus this wanted poster, it would be pretty strange (and anticlimatic) if he didn't.

Sogeking the Sniper King: 30,000,000 Belli
Yes folks, here's what you get for burning a flag. A bounty on your head.
Seriously though, Sogeking has a bounty but Usopp can still move around incognito.

Nami the Cat Burglar: 16,000,000 Belli
Heh. Nami's not happy, even if she is now worth more than Buggy and slightly less than Don Krieg (and exactly the same as Kuro when he had his bounty). The bounty photographers must really get around however. Isn't that the swimsuit she was wearing a few chapters ago?

Chopper "the Cotton Candy Lover:" 50 Belli
Yeah, it's 50 Belli and his nickname is pretty corny too. Evidently, the World Government regards him as the Straw Hats' "pet" and isn't taking him seriously (If I remember right, Baroque Works made the same mistake.)
I have a feeling his bounty is going to get a serious boost once they find out about Monster Chopper.

I still want to know how the bounty guys screwed up getting a picture of Sanji... Seriously...

MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:17 am

I'd assume no one got a good look at Sanji, for some reason. Actually, most of the new pics look sort of like they may have been taken when everyone returned to Water 7 (save Luffy and Zoro). Some have even wondered if it was Wanze who was responsible for the picture. XD
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:16 pm

I thought the Sanji thing was humorous as well.

Master Dias wrote:I have a feeling his bounty is going to get a serious boost once they find out about Monster Chopper.

Indeed. All the smashing he did was part of why I thought it was reasonable for him to have a 50 million bounty, though it appears that he just isn't being taken seriously.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews