One Piece Discussion (Spoilers)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

One Piece Discussion (Spoilers)

Postby Myoti » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:50 pm

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has basically become a discussion for the Japanese releases of the manga. So if you're keeping up with American Shonen Jump, you may not want to see all the spoilers in this thread.

Anyone else read into it? I'm currently in the Water 7 arc (the latest one), and I must say... wow.

You'd think after 300 something chapters and 200+ episodes that it would have begun to lag, start over or underdoing things, or possibly have gotten to "serious" for it to be as good anymore, yet Oda still manages to amaze me with his uniqueness.

True, the part I'm currently in has become slightly serious in certain aspects (won't spoil it for ya), yet I've seen more humour and wacked out characters here than ever before.

I mean, when you look at the Marines and Government agents, you'd think Oda would have made them all these really serious, yet uber cool characters, ready to give the heroes a hard time. Well, I must say that some of them are indeed uber cool, but serious? Well, a few, but let's take a look:

[SPOILER]
-An overly large government agent on the train must bend over to fit and uses an unusual "boxing-yoga" technique.
-Wanze: A really wierd chef with an even wierded face who fights using "Ramen Kenpo", including making ramen in his mouth and shooting it out his nose.
-The government's three-headed judge, one always believeing they're guilty, one innocent, and one "neutral" on all issues.
[/SPOILER]

Those are just a few. And this one has definetly become the most exciting, what with:
[SPOILER]
-The rag-tad "army" that has joined the Straw Hats to battle the Government, and Luffy jumping in to take out 500+ soldiers. You gotta see it...[/SPOILER]

Oda, I take my straw hat off to you and hope this amazing acheivement will continue to do so. :D
Myoti

Postby Kurama » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:00 pm

WWOOOOOTTTT!!!!! *dances* I take my Bandana off to him...XD lol
Kurama

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:41 pm

I don't intend to keep up with One Piece in the Japanese manga (I like having one manga that will be new in Shonen Jump), but I have been paying attention to the current saga. One thing I do have to say is that the inclusion of "power levels" is probably a bad sign, despite the fact that I enjoy numbers.

Personally, I don't think that "quirkiness" equals originality. I like One Piece, but I primarily get annoyed by the endlessly bizarre characters. Furthermore, I skipped over 200 chapters of it and it only took me 3 issues to understand everything that was currently going on. That says something for the formulaic nature of the show.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:31 pm

Personally, I don't think that "quirkiness" equals originality. I like One Piece, but I primarily get annoyed by the endlessly bizarre characters. Furthermore, I skipped over 200 chapters of it and it only took me 3 issues to understand everything that was currently going on. That says something for the formulaic nature of the show.

I believe OP tends to tell several different, nonconnecting stories that eventually
Even if those 200 chapters aren't fillers and you can still tell what's happening, you'll probably end up missing alot of the good bits of OP. I don't mean the plot, I mean just the general humour and antics of the characters (along with some rather cool/interesting/whacked fight scenes).

One thing I do have to say is that the inclusion of "power levels" is probably a bad sign, despite the fact that I enjoy numbers.

Mmmm, numbers...
Actually, I do have a wierd thing for numbers, too. O_o
Hopefully it's just to show who's the strongest of the CP9, and they won't try to push this on the lines of DBZ or anything (though it could work...).
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:50 am

Myoti wrote:I believe OP tends to tell several different, nonconnecting stories that eventually
Even if those 200 chapters aren't fillers and you can still tell what's happening, you'll probably end up missing alot of the good bits of OP. I don't mean the plot, I mean just the general humour and antics of the characters (along with some rather cool/interesting/whacked fight scenes).

Very possibly. But what I meant was that the plot hadn't evolved at all in that time]Mmmm, numbers...
Actually, I do have a wierd thing for numbers, too. O_o
Hopefully it's just to show who's the strongest of the CP9, and they won't try to push this on the lines of DBZ or anything (though it could work...).[/quote]

Eh, one number is too simple to describe a person's skill. But I must admit that the instant such numbers appeared I began wondering what values would be attributed to other characters.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:47 pm

Very possibly. But what I meant was that the plot hadn't evolved at all in that time; to me that is not a positive thing.

I dunno. I get this feeling like Oda never really meant it to go that much. It's already a pretty unorthodox manga, and it seems like he wants to keep it that way. :l

Eh, one number is too simple to describe a person's skill. But I must admit that the instant such numbers appeared I began wondering what values would be attributed to other characters.

Heh, I actually didn't think that much about it until you said that. Hopefully I won't end up all fanboyish and start going "OMGosh! What if Luffy's like, 5000?!?!?!!1". Of course, it may end up like that anyways, so...
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:15 pm

To the minute (SP?) few of you here who have read Ch. 387:

[SPOILER]
Whoa.

While I don't read much Japanese, I understood enough from some other sources about what's going on, and this is downright crazy.

All I got to really say is that this is the decisive point. Oda will either wind up like so many other manga of its kind, or he will prove to his fans that he is indeed a "god" (jk).

Honestly, though. This is getting to be pretty interesting. Someone on another site (Arlong Park forums) mentioned something about how Luffy may have undergone "vulcanization" or the like, but we won't truly know what the crap is going on till the next one.
[/SPOILER]

Any thoughts?
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:09 am

I skimmed 387 a while ago, and I'm not completely certain what you're talking about.

[spoiler=One Piece Chapter 387]Are you referring to Blueno using his door ability on Luffy? That's all that occurs to me, really.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:27 pm

No, I was referring to:

[SPOILER]
GEAR 2, Luffy's little "power up" ability.

[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:27 pm

It's interesting to say the least. I guess we'll see what happens.

At any rate, it looks like we have a similar situation to Alabasta and Skypeia where the Straw Hats get seperated and wind up in their own fights. Although, it appears that the rest of CP9 are still unaware of the invaders...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:20 pm

I love quirky which is why I buy stuff like Ranma 1/2,Tenchi and Excel Saga.
I haven't bought or read One Piece though as I am more into Rumiko Takahashi's
work as well as the more sci fi stuff like Crest/Banner of the Stars along with
the other series I have already mentioned.
Right now I want to get some more Inuyasha,Ranma 1/2,Tenchi and Excel.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:51 pm

Perhaps it was 386 that I skimmed (or I may have skimmed far too fast). I'll check...
EDIT: It was. I'll comment at a later date.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:09 pm

Alright. Trust me, UC. It was interesting, to say the least. :D

Although, it appears that the rest of CP9 are still unaware of the invaders...

Looks like it... well, now they know, or at least Spanda...m... does. :lol:
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:09 pm

388 is up.

Just like to say a couple of things (obviously).

[SPOILER]
First off, wow. Gomu Gomu Jet and copying Soru? This is getting interesting, and for the first CP9 defeat, it just means things are getting to get even more serious (and crazy) from here on in.

Secondly, WTFudge?! And third, I WANT AN EXPLANATION!!!
I've seen alot of speculation about this, but I guess all I can really do is wait for the next chapter and hope to find out what's going on.

[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:06 am

Hm, from whence are you getting One Piece? Kindly PM me your response.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:24 pm

*sigh*

[SPOILER]I'm growing impatient to see what's up next.
Hopefully something involving Kaku and Kalifa's DF powers, and/or at least one or more set-ups for the SH-CP9 battle.

I'm not complaining, but it just seems to be taking so long... -__-
[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:18 pm

I`m lost. How far are you reading compared to where the American anime is now?
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:13 pm

Well, I'll put it like this: America is at Volume 8 of the manga (Chapter 71).
I'm at what Japan is, Chapter 389 (past Volume 40).

4Kids is on what should have been episode 89 (they skipped ALOT). I'm well over a hundred "episodes" worth (since I've only seen the manga and the first 10 episodes of the sub).

Oh yes, and a word on today's chapter (though must I don't understand as it hasn't been translated yet):
[SPOILER]
What the cracker?! Did Franky just fart or something, I mean, that was... different... for Oda... okay, maybe it wasn't. :l

But at least the CP9 have finally gotten back in the game. Now we just need the other SHs to run in and start this thing! XD

[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:47 pm

Well, it does look like the main fights are about to start, assuming that Zoro, Sanji, Nami, and Chopper catch up to Luffy within the next chapter or two and Usopp manages to get there somehow.

I'm doubting that Robin and Franky will get any fights anytime soon as the former is a suicidal angst-filled mess and the latter just had his head smashed into a wall...

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:52 pm

Yeah, Robin and Franky are most defiently out... for now.

I'm also wondering how/when Usopp will arrive.

[SPOILER]
On the Arlong Park forum, someone suggested that on the last spread panel (showing the CP9), that there were small lines making it seem that Kaku and Lucchi were looking up at something. So someone said it was Usopp flying in after being thrown by the giants. XD

Also, Jyabura telling Kaku "Are you taking out your anger because you ate some wierd fruit?" seems interesting. Kaku's already kinda strange and his expression and comment make it seem that he doesn't like it that much either.
[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:02 pm

I've read 388, but I'm not going to read any RAWs (sorry, I rarely read them at all and One Piece is not high on my list of priorities) so I may be a little behind.

One thing that will be critical to future development of the plot is what Luffy was going to do before Blueno collapsed. Does he have a "Gear Three"? If so, will it just be another power up or will it have a unique set of abilities?
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:28 pm

I didn't really "read" the 389 RAW. I just like to look at the pretty pictures and wait for the translation. :P

I, and many others, have wondered that as well. Someone came up with an interesting thought that each GEAR isn't just a "power-up", but more of an increase of a specific ability:

[SPOILER]
GEAR 2 appeared to focus mostly on speed. This is shown in the fact that he "learned" Soru and that his "Jet" attacks are basically the normal ones but with a sort of "sonic boom" increase, making them incredibly fast.

GEAR 3, if that was what he was going to say, may be an increase of one of the other skills, such as strength.[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:07 pm

Yes, Thursday seems sooooooooo far away. ;_;

I got MSN, just so ya know.
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:24 pm

Well then...

[SPOILER]
Robin's flashback. Harwall D. Saul. CP9 of the past (Spandain!) THE RETURN OF AOKIJI!! O_O

Good stuff. And somehow, this makes me think of Harry Potter, but that's besides the point... >_>

Still can't wait for the CP9 battle though. :3
[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:11 pm

Myoti wrote:[SPOILER]
Good stuff. And somehow, this makes me think of Harry Potter, but that's besides the point... >_>
[/SPOILER]

Harry Potter wasn't the first to use the "kid abused by his/her relatives and forced to do all of the chores."
That started somewhere past Cinderella... Heh.

MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:27 pm

Harry Potter wasn't the first to use the "kid abused by his/her relatives and forced to do all of the chores."
That started somewhere past Cinderella... Heh.

Yes, I know. That had been discussed on another forum I was on. :p
I meant more like:

[SPOILER]For some reason, the sudden appearance of Harwall D. Saul made me go "It's Hagrid!!". :lol:

And now we see Olvia. I get the feeling she too may have a DF ability (if she was indeed the one walking on water earlier).
[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:26 pm

Ch. 395:

[SPOILER]
I get a strong feeling the name of the city could be this "Raftel" or whatever that it's believed One Piece awaits...
And I still gotta know... how is it that Olvia could walk on water (if that indeed was her)?
[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:32 pm

Myoti wrote:Ch. 395:

[SPOILER]
I get a strong feeling the name of the city could be this "Raftel" or whatever that it's believed One Piece awaits...
And I still gotta know... how is it that Olvia could walk on water (if that indeed was her)?
[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]I admit that I didn't examine the panel very closely but was she really "walking" on water? I took it that the water was shallow or something.

Anyway, this last chapter was both heartwrenching and interesting. I'm envisioning a flashback sometime in the distant future about the fall of this "kingdom."[/SPOILER]

MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:28 am

[SPOILER]
Indeed. 10 to 1 odds says the kingdom is "Raftel". ;D

Also, if you look at the panel it does kinda seem as though she's "walking" on it, as the boat is anchored just a few feet away and the Oda actually took the time to focus a panel on her feet, sooo...
[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:26 pm

Indeed. Actually, we're already seeing the Buster Call. Recall all the explosions on the last spread panel? :p
Myoti

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews