Review Requests//Database updates

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby jon_jinn » Sat May 19, 2007 11:11 am

is anyone willing to do a review for Blade of Immortal? i'm currently following this series, but i'm not that far through. i would probably do a review, myself, if i was further into the series. it's not complete yet so i'm not sure if a review would be possible...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Our general policy is to not do reviews on unfinished series (excepting for moderators doing very popular series and updating them as necessary). I've read Blade of the Immortal so far, though, so if you have any questions I can probably answer them. Otherwise, there won't be a review until the series is finished.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat May 19, 2007 1:23 pm

i'm not worried so about the content, myself. but the reason i want to do the review is to let other members know how awesome the series is. Blade of Immortal is truly quite a work of art. a piece that i have, for a rather long time, not given the credit it deserves.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 20, 2007 2:01 pm

I wondered if that wasn't the case. Unfortunately, BotI will acquire no readers via CAA's database for the moment, given our policies. But since it does deserve them, for anyone reading the thread: it's an excellent manga with a solid story, realistic characters, and wonderful fight scenes.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 20, 2007 9:46 pm

Blade of the Immortal, eh? I've had it on my title list for awhile now. Should look into it over the summer, perhaps.
Fish and Chips

Postby Kisa » Thu May 24, 2007 7:29 am

Ashley wrote:Heh, I literally have so much manga (about $700 worth) that I don't have space for it back home. It takes up a good 2/3rds of my bookshelf at school.

Hehe I know what you mean, mine takes up two shelves that can hold two rows each in front of the other... craziness.... most of my books are manga!
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:49 pm

I believe Land of the Blindfolded has finished, so I'll repeat my request for this series. I heard it's really good for shojo.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 am

Is the Akira Toriyama manga "Cowa" open for review?
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:49 am

Yes, it is. I can't remember if that one has been licensed, but either way provided you have read it a review would be accepted, for a small series such as that.
uc pseudonym

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:41 pm

It's unlicensed at the moment. I wish it was...T-T
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Writing off a 20th Century Boys review. Just refreshing the series in my mind in case I forgot some details.
Fish and Chips

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:16 pm

Just sent review for Cowa!
ilikegir33

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:02 pm

could i make a review for the manga, BECK? thanks.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Pepper Kittie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Can someone take me off the list for doing a review on Pita Ten? My friend who owned it moved, so I don't have access to it anymore. I don't want to do a review unless I'm really familiar with the series and can do my best, so I'd rather if someone else tackled this one. Originally I thought she'd come back when I was on break but that didn't work out ^^; I don't think it's a series I'll ever be able to buy, seeing the salary poor college students make (negative money, ha ha.)

However, can I do a review on Yume Kira Dream Shoppe? It's a brand new manga I just got by Aqua Mizuto. It's really funny, because the book itself said that it'd be in stores September 4th, but I just got it today on the 1st. Guess it came out early, though it's already run in previous issues of Shojo Beat. It's a 1-volume work of short stories. May I do the review on it? Pweeze? *large, sparkly anime eyes*
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:03 pm

We actually no longer have a dibs system. If you want to do a review go right ahead, though you can ask if a series already has a review pending (in this case I think it doesn't). So don't worry about not finishing the other review. We understand that stuff happens.
uc pseudonym

Postby Haruhiko » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:21 pm

Could someone review D.Gray-Man? I was interested in buying it today, but given its T+ rating, I was a little skeptical. Could someone help?
Haruhiko

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:45 pm

D.Gray-Man is still currently running, so it cannot be reviewed (though it has enough of a cult following that it might fall into the same category as Bleach or Naruto). The series isn't particularly offensive as far as violence or sexual content. There are pseudo-religious elements, but they aren't particularly concerning. What are your content concerns?
uc pseudonym

Postby Haruhiko » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:21 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:D.Gray-Man is still currently running, so it cannot be reviewed (though it has enough of a cult following that it might fall into the same category as Bleach or Naruto). The series isn't particularly offensive as far as violence or sexual content. There are pseudo-religious elements, but they aren't particularly concerning. What are your content concerns?

Sexual content, nudity, and language are my main concerns.
Haruhiko

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:50 pm

i can confidently say that D. Gray-man contains next to no nudity or sexual content. as for language, i think that Viz did its job in toning down the swearing to only about 5-7 curse words per volume. and i can assure you that you won't find any s-words or f-words in any of the D. Gray-man volumes.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Haruhiko » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 am

jon_jinn wrote:i can confidently say that D. Gray-man contains next to no nudity or sexual content. as for language, i think that Viz did its job in toning down the swearing to only about 5-7 curse words per volume. and i can assure you that you won't find any s-words or f-words in any of the D. Gray-man volumes.

Alright then, I'll probably pick it up one of these days. Thanks!

Also, given the other manga's I've read, do you think I'd like it?

I've read:

Death Note (9/10. Amazing)
REBORN! (8/10. Great. Could be better, but its good)
Black Cat (8/10. Also, very good)
Dragon Ball (2/10. Hated it)
Fullmetal Alchemist (7/10. Only read a little bit)
Haruhiko

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:21 pm

That depends on your preferences as a reader. What did you hate about Dragonball Z? Do you care more about plot or characters? D. Gray-man has a large cast of characters, but plot-wise it's pretty mundane shonen. In your list it is probably most comparable to Black Cat, but I have not read that extensively so I hesitate to say anything further. It's also similar to Reborn, but with less comedy of a different variety.
uc pseudonym

Postby Haruhiko » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:29 am

uc pseudonym wrote:That depends on your preferences as a reader. What did you hate about Dragonball Z? Do you care more about plot or characters? D. Gray-man has a large cast of characters, but plot-wise it's pretty mundane shonen. In your list it is probably most comparable to Black Cat, but I have not read that extensively so I hesitate to say anything further. It's also similar to Reborn, but with less comedy of a different variety.

No, no, no. Dragon Ball. No Z.

Hmm....alright. I'll check it out, but I may or may not get it. Thanks for the help, guys.
Haruhiko

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Haruhiko wrote:No, no, no. Dragon Ball. No Z.

There isn't much distinction. The entire franchise stems from the creative work of Akira Toriyama (excepting the GT anime). All of the manga ran under the title "Dragon Ball" (though not in the Viz version) and that distinction exists only in the anime. I tend to add the Z out of habit.

Or did you mean to say you've only read the first 16 volumes (the part covered by the anime labeled without the Z)?
uc pseudonym

Postby Haruhiko » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:27 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:There isn't much distinction. The entire franchise stems from the creative work of Akira Toriyama (excepting the GT anime). All of the manga ran under the title "Dragon Ball" (though not in the Viz version) and that distinction exists only in the anime. I tend to add the Z out of habit.

Or did you mean to say you've only read the first 16 volumes (the part covered by the anime labeled without the Z)?

Err...I've read the first volume. It was too perverted and there wasn't enough going on for me to stay interested in the series.
Haruhiko

Postby Haruhiko » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:57 pm

I have four more I've been wondering about. As stated before, my biggest concerns are sexual content, nudity, and language.

I'm considering Shaman King, Gintama, Busou Renkin, and Dr. Slump. I'd like as much help as I can get concerning each of these.

Thanks, everyone.
[SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrange"]Haruhiko, CAA's resident lurker.[/color][/SIZE]

Haruhiko

Postby MasterDias » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Language will vary in online translations.
In Viz's version, it ranges from fairly toned down to practically nonexistant.
That aside...

Shaman King - a few brief male butt shots, the series draws extensively from world cultures/religions and references things like spirit mediums and channeling, I wouldn't take it too seriously as it's in a pretty fantastical context, but your mileage may vary.

Gintama - don't think there's any nudity, but I believe there is a number of innuendos played for laughs. I haven't read this extensively.

Busou Renkin - Nothing really, but one of the male antagonists/anti-heroes likes to fight in skimpy underwear and wears ridiculous skin-tight outfits that freaks out the cast. If you are interested in this title, I would also suggest Watsuki's earlier series Rurouni Kenshin. Most fans consider it a generally superior work.

Dr. Slump - Minor kid nudity (that's probably been cut from Viz's version). Probably some jokey innuendos and such. I didn't really read it extensively either. But by the way, if you didn't like early Dragonball, you probably won't like this, as it's also by Toriyama and the tone and style are really similar to early Dragonball.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:26 pm

Haruhiko wrote:I have four more I've been wondering about. As stated before, my biggest concerns are sexual content, nudity, and language.

I'm considering Shaman King, Gintama, Busou Renkin, and Dr. Slump. I'd like as much help as I can get concerning each of these.

Thanks, everyone.

dude, this is a thread for manga REVIEW REQUESTS. if you're curious about a manga's content, then make a thread for it in the manga mania section or something...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Haruhiko » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:14 pm

MasterDias wrote:Language will vary in online translations.
In Viz's version, it ranges from fairly toned down to practically nonexistant.
That aside...

Shaman King - a few brief male butt shots, the series draws extensively from world cultures/religions and references things like spirit mediums and channeling, I wouldn't take it too seriously as it's in a pretty fantastical context, but your mileage may vary.

Gintama - don't think there's any nudity, but I believe there is a number of innuendos played for laughs. I haven't read this extensively.

Busou Renkin - Nothing really, but one of the male antagonists/anti-heroes likes to fight in skimpy underwear and wears ridiculous skin-tight outfits that freaks out the cast. If you are interested in this title, I would also suggest Watsuki's earlier series Rurouni Kenshin. Most fans consider it a generally superior work.

Dr. Slump - Minor kid nudity (that's probably been cut from Viz's version). Probably some jokey innuendos and such. I didn't really read it extensively either. But by the way, if you didn't like early Dragonball, you probably won't like this, as it's also by Toriyama and the tone and style are really similar to early Dragonball.

Alright, then. Thanks for the help.

And about Rurouni Kenshin, I am picking that up soon. I read the review for it here and didn't ask, as it seemed to sum it up pretty good.

So, I'll be skipping Dr. Slump, then. I'll check out Gintama and Shaman King soon, and I might try Busou Renkin as soon as I'm done with a few of my other series.

Again, thanks a lot.
[SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrange"]Haruhiko, CAA's resident lurker.[/color][/SIZE]

Haruhiko

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:09 pm

jon_jinn wrote:dude, this is a thread for manga REVIEW REQUESTS. if you're curious about a manga's content, then make a thread for it in the manga mania section or something...

I think asking here is acceptable. Mini-reviews such as the ones Master Dias provided help people to choose series, which is the same purpose as the database. Particularly with certain things not functioning at the moment, I think this thread can be used to help accomplish the original intent of this aspect of CAA.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:18 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I think asking here is acceptable. Mini-reviews such as the ones Master Dias provided help people to choose series, which is the same purpose as the database. Particularly with certain things not functioning at the moment, I think this thread can be used to help accomplish the original intent of this aspect of CAA.

that's fine. sorry if i came off a little harsh. i wasn't trying to...:sweat:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews