Review Requests//Database updates

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:29 pm

Could someone review the anime or manga version of Mermaid Saga?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:51 pm

it'd be cool if you guys had a review for the mangas: Blade of Immortal and Vagabond.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:50 pm

That will be difficult, as our general rule is that we do not provide reviews for series that are currently running. However, I have read both of the manga in question up to current chapters and thus am relatively able to answer any questions you may have. Did you have specific concerns or do you just want a general overview of content?
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:57 pm

Question: has anyone called to do a review on the Fullmetal Alchemist manga when it finishes? If not, I'd like to do so.
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 pm

No one else has put their name on it. However, I'm not sure if it means very much to claim it at this point, because I predict the manga will go on for quite some time.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ashley » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:04 pm

And actually, the way it works is you can put down a request, but to be fair I have to go with whoever submits first, regardless of the list. The list is there to help people know who's working on what so they don't waste their time on something that was already "claimed".
Ashley

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:13 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:That will be difficult, as our general rule is that we do not provide reviews for series that are currently running. However, I have read both of the manga in question up to current chapters and thus am relatively able to answer any questions you may have. Did you have specific concerns or do you just want a general overview of content?

well, i read like the first volume and a half of blade of immortal and am interested in trying out vagabond. i was just wondering if there was anything extreme or explicit in the mangas other than the violence. i stopped reading blade of immortal after i learned it was rated "M" however, the first volume or so wasn't actually that bad in terms of nudity and sexual content so i was wondering if there was any later on in the series. thanks.

also, if you can't review a manga until you've read the entire series, why are there manga reviews for bleach and naruto? they aren't completed yet.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:15 pm

There are three reasons for that:
1) The series are very popular and thus more likely to be searched.
2) I'm the writer, and as a mod I can change them if the rating needs to change.
3) Our policy on this wasn't as established back when they were written.

jon_jinn wrote:well, i read like the first volume and a half of blade of immortal and am interested in trying out vagabond. i was just wondering if there was anything extreme or explicit in the mangas other than the violence. i stopped reading blade of immortal after i learned it was rated "M" however, the first volume or so wasn't actually that bad in terms of nudity and sexual content so i was wondering if there was any later on in the series.

Blade of the Immortal has more sexual dialogue but typically very little nudity, unless I just don't remember it. Vagabond has some nudity and while there are no sex scenes there are some panels that are fairly sexually explicit. Other than this and the violence levels I can't think of anything very offensive.

I will, however, say I do not recommend Vagabond at all. Not for any content issues, but just because I feel it is far too drawn out. It takes too long for anything to happen, and the characters spend ridiculous amounts of time staring at one another, testing their auras and will against each other. The most extreme example of this is when two of the major characters face off at the end of one volume, and in the next volume (between flashbacks, staring, people commenting, and more staring) they don't actually start fighting until the end of that volume.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:29 pm

so, would you still give a yes to blade of immortal as long as i can handle the violence?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:32 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I will, however, say I do not recommend Vagabond at all. Not for any content issues, but just because I feel it is far too drawn out. It takes too long for anything to happen, and the characters spend ridiculous amounts of time staring at one another, testing their auras and will against each other. The most extreme example of this is when two of the major characters face off at the end of one volume, and in the next volume (between flashbacks, staring, people commenting, and more staring) they don't actually start fighting until the end of that volume.

Eesh, and here I thought Dragonball cornered the market on that technique. :dizzy:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:33 pm

In terms of quality, I like Blade of the Immortal quite a bit. It has characters with significantly more depth than commonly seen in manga, fighting with actual coreography, and a casual but effective writing style. For a while it feels somewhat directionless, but recently (at the American edge) it has shown signs of an overall plot developing that I think has much promise.

If you've read a few volumes and aren't disturbed by the violence, you're probably okay. All I can think as being offensive is that later on there is some sex (all you see is feet, though) and there's one character that's pretty sadistic (cuts off all limbs before killing, talks about hacking prostitutes mid-coitus, etc). If neither of those things bothers you, then you will do alright with Blade of the Immortal.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:24 pm

No one else has put their name on it. However, I'm not sure if it means very much to claim it at this point, because I predict the manga will go on for quite some time.

And actually, the way it works is you can put down a request, but to be fair I have to go with whoever submits first, regardless of the list. The list is there to help people know who's working on what so they don't waste their time on something that was already "claimed".

Ah, I see. I know it probably does have quite a ways to go (I'm already planning to write the OP review as well, and who knows how long that one still has), but I just supposed that if no one else said anything, I could try it (hopefully before anyone else does).
Myoti

Postby Peregrine » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:40 pm

I'd like to request a review of Kaledo Star ^_^
Peregrine

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:08 pm

rocklobster wrote:Eesh, and here I thought Dragonball cornered the market on that technique. :dizzy:

yeah. so i guess vagabond's a lot like dbz when it comes to fights because it takes so long for the actual fight to take place.

uc pseudonym wrote:In terms of quality, I like Blade of the Immortal quite a bit. It has characters with significantly more depth than commonly seen in manga, fighting with actual coreography, and a casual but effective writing style. For a while it feels somewhat directionless, but recently (at the American edge) it has shown signs of an overall plot developing that I think has much promise.

If you've read a few volumes and aren't disturbed by the violence, you're probably okay. All I can think as being offensive is that later on there is some sex (all you see is feet, though) and there's one character that's pretty sadistic (cuts off all limbs before killing, talks about hacking prostitutes mid-coitus, etc). If neither of those things bothers you, then you will do alright with Blade of the Immortal.

okay. that's all i need to know. thanks for the info. and it sounds like blade of immortal gets pretty interesting later on in the story huh?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:15 am

jon_jinn wrote:yeah. so i guess vagabond's a lot like dbz when it comes to fights because it takes so long for the actual fight to take place.

okay. that's all i need to know. thanks for the info. and it sounds like blade of immortal gets pretty interesting later on in the story huh?

If I remember right, I read somewhere that one of the villians actually wears the skulls of his victims as jewelry. Eesh! :evil:

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Ashley » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Guys, this thread is for making review requests, not discussing the particulars of a title. Please take the conversation elsewhere, thanks.
Ashley

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:31 pm

OK, I'll steer us back on topic. Let's do a review of Silent Mobius. I'd like to, but I've only seen the TechTV version, so I don't know what was edited, if anything.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Ashley » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:20 am

1. This is the manga review database, not the anime. Wrong forum.

2. But answering your question anyway, no, you wouldn't be allowed to review any series you've seen on TV.
Ashley

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:14 am

i was wondering if someone could do a review on the manga, Flame of Recca.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ranma8 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I would appreciate it if someone would a Peach Girl review.
ranma8

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:32 pm

I'd like to see a review of Claymore. I've read one volume, and I liked what I saw.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:37 pm

Is this where we volunteer to do the reviews, or just requests? Because I'd gladly do 20th Century Boys and Monster.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm

It's some of both. If you want to begin writing reviews for those titles, go ahead.

rocklobster wrote:I'd like to see a review of Claymore. I've read one volume, and I liked what I saw.

The series is not yet complete and only six volumes are in English. I've read five and browsed some of the Japanese volumes, so I can be fairly confident in saying I'm the person on the forum closest qualified to answer your questions. What do you want to know, more specifically?
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:34 am

I just want to know if it's worth continuing. I like the story so far, and Claire is quite an intriguing character. The ending to vol 1 certainly surprised me.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:30 pm

If you liked volume one, there is a fair chance that you will like the rest of the series. The world becomes more developed over time, though unfortunately there is a multi-chapter flashback. While it explains a lot, it doesn't get into the meat of the plot, which involves a lot more Claymores. I won't say more just in case what I thought was obvious isn't to you.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Because I'd gladly do 20th Century Boys and Monster.

darn, i was hoping to do a 20th Century Boys review after i finished the series. but you've read a lot further than i have, in the series, so it would only be logical that you write a review. i'm also pretty sure that your review would have a lot more detail than my review would...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:53 pm

jon_jinn wrote:darn, i was hoping to do a 20th Century Boys review after i finished the series. but you've read a lot further than i have, in the series, so it would only be logical that you write a review. i'm also pretty sure that your review would have a lot more detail than my review would...

Think we'll both have to wait anyway, as it's still wraping up with 21st Century Boys. I'd rather write a review off the finished product than the near-finished one, just to play it safe.

And I do tend to be thorough, though, yes.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:And I do tend to be thorough, though, yes.

then i'm sure your review would be excellent.

i might consider doing a review on the hunter x hunter manga but it isn't finished yet so that's not a possibility.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:44 pm

jon_jinn wrote:then i'm sure your review would be excellent.

i might consider doing a review on the hunter x hunter manga but it isn't finished yet so that's not a possibility.

Hey, thanks.

Well, I'll need to wait till Urasawa caps off 21st Century Boys before putting anything to pen and paper. And I'm not sure I can do Monster, pending the new rule about official American publication.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i might consider doing a review on the hunter x hunter manga but it isn't finished yet so that's not a possibility.

Actually, I'm include to say that we'd accept a review of Hunter x Hunter. It is unlikely there will be content much different from what has already appeared and even if there was, it would take him several months to actually put it out. Given that it's been ages since he's made a new chapter the series doesn't have the difficulties of other running titles.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews