What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Re: What Manga are you reading?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:08 am

Hoshi no Samidare chapter 22

AHHHHH TOO MANY KNIGHTS! :XD:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby TheChocolateGamer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:10 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Hoshi no Samidare chapter 22

AHHHHH TOO MANY KNIGHTS! :XD:

You can never have too many knights.
Galatians 3:13 NIV: Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”

Luke 6:31 NIV (The Golden Rule): Do to others as you would have them do to you.

“Too much of anything is dangerous, unless it's God's Love.”
― Reign

You seem happy from the bottom of your heart. That also makes me me just as happy.
-Sala Shane (Charlotte)

Statement of faith: http://www.filedropper.com/statementoffaith @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
TheChocolateGamer

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 am

Noragami Volumes 14 and 15. Have I not posted a reaction to these? I think not. Well, they were both great! Volume 14 introduced us to more of Hiyori's family, which I really loved. I think Hiyori is going to grow up to be just like her grandmother. Or, to put it another way, I think meeting her grandmother explains a lot about Hiyori (because let's face it, Hiyori really doesn't take after her mom). Volume 15 introduces a new storyline with Bishamon at the very end, and it is intriguing. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That new shinki looks VERY cool. Also, Kofuku gets up to some wacky hijinks at the gods' matchmaking ceremony. No real surprises there, but some fun stuff. Verdict: right now, this is still my favorite manga.

Ancient Magus' Bride Volume 5. I've really been on the fence about this series. Just now I don't have a lot of money to spend on buying manga, so I've considered dropping this one. But apparently I preordered volume 5, then forgot about it. So much to my surprise it arrived this week . . . and it was GOOD. Good in the sense that after reading the volume in a single day, I plan on rereading it again, more slowly, so I can savor it. Verdict: I'm going to keep reading it.
Mouse2010

Postby Kaori » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:59 pm

Basara vv. 1-14

Reread these volumes (in English). This manga is incredible and it's a shame I never read the second half of it (reread the first 14 volumes because I want to read the second half but it has been so long since I read the first half that I had forgotten most of what happened and needd to reread it before continuing). It's very well-plotted, often with subtle hints about upcoming things in the plot or details that are briefly mentioned that turn out to be significant later. Also the plot is extremely intense: the main character is a twin who grew up in the shadow of her brother, Tatara, who was supposedly the child of destiny who is destined to overthrow the tyrannical Red King, and in the first volume alone, she loses her home, her father, her brother, her grandfather, and the girl who was in love with her brother, and she takes on her brother's name and his role to become the leader of the rebels standing against the Red King. Another major plot point in the first half of the story (this happens very early on, so it is not a spoiler) is that she and the Red King fall in love with each other without knowing each other's true identities, while in their public roles they are bitter enemies who want nothing more than to kill each other. There's plenty of political intrigue, moral dilemmas, and the conflict is not at all black-and-white but really shows the damage that is done even by people trying to do good, as well as the good and bad sides of what the Red King does as a ruler (although he is violent and merciless, he has also abolished slavery, rooted out corrupt governors, and turned a couple of desert areas into prosperous and thriving merchant towns). The heroine has quite a bit of strength and backbone, but she is also still very much a young teenage girl and she does things at times like having emotional breakdowns or making foolish decisions, so she is a very complex and realistic character. The plot does, however, have quite a few things that are rather contrived, starting with the fact that Sarasa and the Red King fall in love without knowing each other's identities and meet up by coincidence on several occasions. So it is rather like Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities in that regard: it has a lot of very extreme changes happening politically, a lot of extreme things going on in general, and also has a plot that includes a lot of very unlikely coincidences (but that is part of the point). Oh, and I guess another mild complaint is that (so far at least) the author goes easier on the heroine's party, the core members of her followers and allies, than she is on other people in terms of how many people die. There are a lot of deaths of named characters, both within the antagonist's party and among other characters, but after the slaughter in volume 1 not a whole lot of people who are really close to the heroine die (so far).

One particular highlight is getting to see the characters travel throughout Japan and visit various places and learning a few things here and there about Japanese literature and some famous Japanese historical figures (I have the first 14 volumes in English, published by Viz, and it is really nice when there are editor's notes explaining some of these things).

There is some mature content, e.g. beheadings, crucifixion, rape, and so on, but the violence and sexual content are usually not portrayed in extremely graphic ways; there is frequent character death, but often it is portrayed in a somewhat stylized way; I'd say the violence is not particularly worse than FMA.

With that as a caveat, I highly recommend that everyone who doesn't object to the content mentioned above read this classic manga. It is possibly the single best thing that shojo has to offer.

Aozora Yell

Reread, in Japanese this time, the first several chapters (volume and a half or so?), having picked up a few volumes while I was in Japan. This is another manga that I'd highly recommend (at least based on the first several chapters); it's one of those manga that has very admirable characters that really exemplify what Japanese people consider to be ideal character traits, and the sentiments that are expressed in this manga are really Japanese. It's not as if they don't translate into English--they do--but there is just something different about the feeling when you read it in Japanese, so I was very glad that I reread those chapters in the original language.
BlogMAL

“Leave your heart, and look into the face of Christ.” -Andrew Murray
Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:50 pm

The Heroic Legend of Arslan chapter 35

I surprised myself by actually recognizing some of the names in the ancient legend from the Shahname (The Epic of Kings, a classic Persian text). ARAKAWA-SAN, YOU ARE THE AWESOME.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kaori » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:23 am

Galaxy Express 999 v. 19

Back on track with reading this, and in this volume Matsumoto Reiji is also back on track; it's an improvement over the previous volume, which was a bit poor compared to other volumes in the series. In this volume Tetsurou actually meets the antagonist face-to-face and there's quite a bit of clarification about who the enemy is and is not. Also a lot of strong-willed fighting spirit among certain characters.
BlogMAL

Kaori

Postby artisticDreamer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:59 pm

Read up to PandoraHearts vol. 16. Will probably be getting the next two in the mail today.
How can there be so many plot twists in one series? This should be illegal.
I love it.
artisticDreamer

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm

artisticDreamer wrote:Read up to PandoraHearts vol. 16. Will probably be getting the next two in the mail today.
How can there be so many plot twists in one series? This should be illegal.
I love it.

^ IKR? (And just wait, there are a few more *even bigger* twists ahead! :thumb: ) PH is one of my all-time favorite series. <3

...BTW, I read 4 more new series! :thumb:

First, Imuri chapter 1 (so far):

Oh wow-- I've been wanting to read this ever since Kaori recommended it back in 2013, and by now I'd basically given up on it being translated at all, figuring I'd just read it once I get proficient in Japanese... however, to my *very* pleasant surprise, someone (*finally!*) did indeed just pick it up! :jump: Kaori did a fantastic job at explaining how interesting this series is, so I'm just going to leave a few quotes here:
Kaori wrote:... This is a sci-fi seinen and a 2009 Japan Media Arts Festival Excellence Prize winner, so why nobody has translated it yet is beyond me. It’s about a group of people called Karma, who inhabit two neighboring planets, and presumably also about the Imuri, who lost a war to the Karma a few hundred years ago and whose existence is pretty mysterious so far. Also, people have an ability called sairin, which is mind-control that allows you to do stuff like compel people to give truthful answers when you question them or even temporarily control their actions. (The main character’s dad routinely uses this technique to question him . . . talk about a domineering parent!)

In the first few chapters we’re gradually introduced to the world and its concepts as Dulk goes through his everyday life as a new candidate, which is a pretty effective way of introducing the reader to the society and the mind-control abilities of the sci-fi world by showing concepts in action rather than info-dumping. However, those first few chapters are sort of like being pulled up the first hill of a roller coaster, and in the second half of the volume we go down that first big hill and through the first loop. In other words, things really take off. ...

The main character is a generally nice and unassuming guy, although he started out as comfortably oblivious to the evils of his society which were constantly going on around him; the scholar Rald is interesting in a “I want to know what this guy is scheming” sort of way but not at all personable; and it looks like the manga is shaping up to largely be about power struggles between people, maybe even extending to dramatic political upheaval having to do with clashes between the governments of the two planets. Pretty excited to read more of this.

Kaori wrote:Imuri vv. 4-5

There are currently 16 volumes out, and the manga is still ongoing, so I am not very far into the story, but so far this manga is incredibly intense, excellently paced, has great world-building, and has fantastically good psychological realism in its characters.

In many ways the story feels like a political thriller because there is just so much going on in these volumes with the turmoil between the two main political groups. But it's also a SF story with its own kind of special ability, sort of like a magical/psychic ability but with a concept and mechanism that are unique to this author rather than just being stereotypical magic. And in addition to all of the political and military things going on in the plot, there is also a great deal that is being gradually revealed to the reader about this special ability, and the way that different people groups have different techniques that they use, and also about the society and the world of the story in general. But this information is revealed in a very natural way, usually as the main character discovers and learns things, so it never seems like the author is just dumping information on us, but it is integrated very smoothly and skillfully into the story.

I also want to touch on the characterization because it's fantastic. This manga successfully does something that I feel like almost every manga tries to do but fails--and that is to make the reader sympathize (and even empathize) with a villain. Now, there are two groups of people that have power in this manga, and both of them mostly have leaders that use extremely unsavory tactics and are really Not Nice People, so one can't say there is a good side and a bad side, but I am designating this character as a villain because he is on the opposite side of the conflict from the protagonist. He, like almost everyone else in power on either side, is a rather bad person and uses a lot of dirty tactics, and one really cannot like him. But the mangaka does an extremely skillful job of showing the reader some of the things that he sees and experiences in a way that makes you feel sympathetic pain and anger for the evil that is done to him, and there's also a portion of the story where you see what is going on from his perspective and see the way that as he decisively tries to take actions to save himself and his men his every step is thwarted and he is headed off by the enemy, and mangaka's techniques very effectively make that reader experience his feelings of desperation and frustration. One also sees and comes to appreciate his ability as a military commander. But none of that makes you like him as a person--he is still a vain, short-tempered, nasty person, and none of those faults are glossed over. So unlike every other manga, where the trend is to portray a villain as being a horrible, unsympathetic person, then show the reader that they have some awful sob story of a background, then pretend that all their faults and the wrongs they have done don't exist and they're a nice person now, this manga actually makes you see things from the villain's perspective and feel the things that he feels as he is experiencing the events of the story, but it does not in the least gloss over the flawed and evil aspects of him as a person. I was extremely impressed by how well that was handled.

The other characters are also handled very realistically, though I won't dwell on them at length; we see a wide range of reactions to some extreme circumstances, but each character responds in a way that is very realistic and believable based on who they are and what their background is. I should also put in a few words about the visual aspect of the story, because things like facial expressions, line of vision (both the reader's and sometimes the characters'), and visual pacing are used sometimes to great effect.

The ending of v. 5 was truly powerful, and I will just leave it at that, because it's impossible to say much of anything about what is going on in the story without spoilers. But this is a manga that is almost impossible to put down, it is just that good, and someone needs to translate it already so the non-Japanese-speaking world can appreciate it for the exceptionally well-crafted piece of work that it (so far) is.

The one other thing I'll note is that this series' art style/character design is pretty unique (albeit a style that makes it rather amusingly difficult to tell which gender some of the characters are at first... :grin: ), but I like it for that very uniqueness; and even though just the first chapter has been translated so far, I'm already fascinated (and hooked). :thumb: Can't wait for more (especially after Kaori's previews)! :jump:

Rainbow Days, a.k.a. Nijiiro Days, chapters 0-34 via normal methods + chapters 35-48 via raws + text translations (so far):

First let me preface this by saying that this series... wasn't quite what I expected, LOL (...uh, the sadists in particular... :sweat: :grin: )-- I went into it assuming that it'd be something along the lines of Kimi to Boku. / Seishun Kouryakuhon, but in reality, instead of clean and innocent slice-of-life adorableness like those, this is actually more of a straight-up rom-com... with some definitely-*not*-innocent comedy, LOL. :sweat: (Guess I should've actually looked at the synopsis a bit more closely! :P :grin: ) ...All that said, however, even though it's not really anything like what I expected, it's still actually quite good (yes, even with the sadists, LOL... :P In fact, the pairing with the main sadist is one of the most interesting couples of the series)-- after the first few chapters (where their 'quirks' are a bit OTT on purpose), the characters really do become endearing, especially with how the guys (affectionately ;) ) tease each other and genuinely try to help each other out (particularly with their love interests ;) :grin: ); and I downright love the fact that the 'otaku' of the group is actually the most grounded, intelligent, thoughtful, and observant one (and him and his girlfriend are easily the best couple, too <3 )-- so, yeah, I'm enjoying it. :thumb:

Sengoku Youko chapters 1-99 (complete):

This is yet another great series by the ever-brilliant Satoshi Mizukami-sensei. :thumb: While IMO his Spirit Circle is an indisputable masterpiece (and The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer is not very far behind), this series is not *quite* on that level... but holy crap is it good nonetheless! :jump: It features some of the unexpectedly-timed humor and downright delightful trope-twisting he's known for, as well as a few very clever meta ideas (such as SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the 'fate power' reveal, which I absolutely *loved* :jump: , as well as the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'observed future' element {which brings in some quantum physics + time laws, which I also love}). Plus, after it having now been revealed at the end of Spirit Circle that all of his stories take place in the same multiverse ( + all the details that go with that), it makes things even more interesting-- for example, the reasons behind its 'recognizable cast' of sorts, and 'golems' of sorts (which hearken back to The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer), and 'spiritual beings/energy/attacks' (which hearken back to Spirit Circle), and the aforementioned little bit of playing with time/different dimensions (which has happened in one form or another in both of those series); etc. etc. ...Oh, and Shinsuke (one of the MC's) is freaking awesome. :jump: So, yeah, like everything else I've read by Mizukami-sensei, this is recommended. :thumb:

And Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii chapters 0-11 (so far):

I'd put this on my plan-to-read list fairly recently due to hearing good things + the premise, but it was actually Rainbow Days that spurred me into the mood to read it right away (because of that series' really great otaku couple <3 , which made me want even more of that sort of thing :) ). And I was not disappointed in this in the least! :grin: :jump: WotaKoi actually features *two* otaku couples-- each of the four characters having varying levels of, tastes in, and openness about it :) -- and not only are all 4 of these MC's working adults, but they're also all totally adorable. <3 (I mean, they have Mario Kart parties {gah the nostalgia!!}. And SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (essentially) Rickroll (!)/otherwise spontaneously quote songs/etc. at each other. And purposefully troll. <3 And actually sit and talk things out when they're upset like rational human beings. And just when it looks like there's going to be a rival, it's completely turned on its ear and it turns out that he actually just wanted the already-established couple to be together in the first place. In other words, they actually just pretty much act and feel like real working adults with real senses of humor who also happen to be real geeks {of which I and many of my friends are in RL :) }, so I seriously adore them. <3 :hug: ) (Also-- speaking of adoration {and adorableness}-- the little drawings/flashbacks to when they were children are extremely adorable SPOILER: Highlight text to read: {and Hirotaka has clearly adored Narumi ever since they were kids; just look at the way he looked at her~! <3 <3 }.) Also, it's hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol: In other words, this series is great, and definitely recommended so far! :jump:
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Kaori » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:34 pm

@MangaRocks!:

^___________^

Awwww, thanks for the kind words--and for going all the way back and digging out my review of v. 1 from 2013. (Wow, has it really been that long? And have I still only finished six volumes?)

I'm really glad to hear that someone finally started translating this.

I'm also pleased to say that this prediction from when I read volume one came true:

maybe even extending to dramatic political upheaval having to do with clashes between the governments of the two planets

Yeah.

P.S. I picked up vv. 7-9 when I was in Japan. ^^

. . .

Galaxy Express 999 v. 20 was so-so, but the Japanese really love dinosaurs, and they are convinced that had they survived they would have evolved to a high level comparable with that of humans. (That idea is not just in Chrono Trigger or Getter Robo.)
BlogMAL

Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:58 pm

D.Gray-man chapter 223

Still confusing, but there's a glimmer of hope on the horizon - the hope of some kind of explanation in the future @_@

(But really, the main thing that's getting me excited about DGM is that they're finally dubbing the rest of the anime, as well as the new season coming out! :dance: )

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby artisticDreamer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Bunny Drop vols 1-9
Why did I do this to myself. Why couldn't I have just stopped reading this. Why???
artisticDreamer

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:58 pm

artisticDreamer wrote:Bunny Drop vols 1-9
Why did I do this to myself. Why couldn't I have just stopped reading this. Why???

I knoww... :/ I just casually read the first part, but then kept reading when the time skip appeared.

I shouldn't have. -_-
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby Terabyte » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:21 am

Lately I've been reading Orange, which I've been enjoying a lot. I've also been watching the anime along with it. Such a good series in my opinion. :)
Terabyte

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:09 am

The Boruto manga. There's some promise, but I'm not feeling a lot of the new characters, and the artwork's garbage compared to Kishimoto's work. I mean, it's no where near good enough to reach the quality I'd expect from a monthly manga.
Zeldafan2

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:44 pm

...So, hey, I guess I haven't posted about the *ongoing* series I've been reading in quite a long while (uh, whoops!), so ridiculously big post on all of that coming now~! :P :thumb:

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, a.k.a. Snow White With The Red Hair, chapters 76-79: Oh man-- while I was fine with the previous (glitter stone) arc, this new arc with the spy twins is turning out to be way more interesting. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL at the 'rumor'-- and Zen's reaction because he knows just how true it really is~! <3 :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb: And I literally LOL'd at that (fake) reasoning Hisame gave at his proposal... :lol: :lol: Seriously, though, that was actually pretty clever, given the reveal about Kiki's supposed potential suitors being targets, etc. Although, now this whole thing *really* makes me want to see Kiki proposing to Mitsuhide soon, like she had said that she planned to! <3 And as for that attack: Ohhh snap, the twins clearly just got a huge shock from being targeted-- even Hisame noticed it!-- which makes things even more interesting (since that almost certainly means that they knew who it was and just got betrayed/used for the attackers' own purpose {...which at this point appears to be framing Mitsuhide, among other things}). Also: Ohohoho, never make Zen angry! :thumb: Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Amatsuki chapters 102-104: ...Yes, I just made that big on purpose-- because OH MY FLAMING GOODNESS, after being stuck on chapter 101 for two whole years due to the previous translator having apparently disappeared off the face of the planet, unfortunately :pikka: (and me not even being *close* to reading raws at that level {nor will I be for quite a while yet, for multiple reasons} :sweat: ), I am understandably super excited to finally be able to continue what is literally one of the best series I've read so far!! <3 <3 :jump: :jump: :jump:

The Case Study Of Vanitas chapters 6-9: LOL, I laughed so hard at Noé's flat SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Huh? NO." at the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: supposed-fiancée thing, as well as the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "actual roses?!" bit. :lol: And while I don't entirely trust Domi just yet, her 'friendship' ;) with Noé is definitely interesting. And oh man, poor Noé... so that's how he got involved with the aristocracy... :( There was also a really interesting little bit of backstory on the world itself + how its version of 'Babel' came to be. And ohhh man, so not only do we finally see what Vanitas was hiding under those gloves :pikka: , but we also finally get the explanation for why he's doing what he's doing, and it actually makes perfect sense! :pikka: And then holy crap, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Charlatan actually showed up, and apparently it has 3 (or more?) forms...! :pikka: And then the whole bit with Vanitas and Jeanne SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (with him offering his blood, in particular) was... well, to be honest I still can't quite tell if he's actually 100% serious about being infatuated with her, but it was certainly interesting, regardless. :) And wow, that flashback to the whole thing with Louis... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: it was horrifying and sad :pikka: :pikka: :( , and then (farther back) extremely adorable and heartwarming <3 :hug: :hug: , which of course just makes the later tragedy hurt even worse. :sniffle: (Also, *crap,* Domi and Louis' grandfather-- Noé's teacher-- is one of those 'experiment' types... :pikka: :pikka: ...No, wait-- HOLY CRAP, HE'S ACTUALLY THE BADDIE??!!! :wow!: ) Cannot wait for more! :jump:

Cheese In The Trap chapters 180-202: HA! It's about flipping time stalker-boy was publicly humiliated. Woot! :bootout: :thumb: (Also, Sul's dad and bro's reactions to stalker-boy chasing her were awesome and hilarious, respectively. :lol: ) And the honest talk Sul and Jung finally had was excellent (and very necessary). (Also, that bit... um... afterwards... was adorable. <3 :grin: ) And ohhh man, so Jung actually knew that In-Ha has always been obsessed uh, I mean 'in love' with him... :pikka: And wow, Jung and In-Ho actually seemed like decent friends before that 'break...' :pikka: The way Sul fought back at In-Ha was awesome, though. :thumb: But holy crap-- that no-holds-barred fight between SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Jung and In-Ho... :pikka: Yeah, that really needed to have been aired out long ago, and it's no surprise it finally boiled over now. (Still, yikes on the, er, visible damage, as it were... :pikka: )

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun chapters 77-80: ROTFL, "1 Seo per day..." :lol: :lol: :lol: And OH MY GOODNESS, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: drunk Hori...! Too adorable!!! <3 :hug: (Also, wow, this ship is really sailing, isn't it? :wow!: I mean, first it was SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kashima actually outright stating that she likes SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hori, and then there's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hori's drunk honesty here... <3 :hug: :jump: ) Also, LOL at the avatar Nozaki made for himself-- it looks almost exactly like SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sakura! <3 -- but then he just draws SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sakura as a walking hair bow!! :lol: And, finally: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Chiyo-chan." + all those compliments (plus, didn't he once say that he liked girls with guts? :pikka: :thumb: )... *collapses* <3 :lol:

Haikyuu!! chapters 205-222: Lev's 'connection' moment near the end of the former chapter was awesome. :grin: (And that was a great SPOILER: Highlight text to read: win for Nekoma, too. :thumb: ) And oh man, I enjoyed that mini-arc, but getting back to Karasuno is just pure joy. :jump: (Also: Whoa, was *not* expecting that development at all! :wow!: That's *amazing* for Kageyama... but poor Hinata... :pikka: ) Though LOL at Hinata SPOILER: Highlight text to read: sneaking in anyway and poor Tsukki being so embarrassed. :sweat: :sweat: :grin: Glad Hinata got all the verbal admonishment that he very well deserved (he *really* messed up by SPOILER: Highlight text to read: sneaking in like that... :forehead: ), but it was nice that they let him SPOILER: Highlight text to read: stay to watch/be a ball-boy, at least... and, indeed, he could still learn a lot of things while doing so, just from a different perspective (...and, in fact, that's precisely part of what he needed!). :thumb: Also, Hinata cajoling Goshiki into playing in the practice was hilarious. :grin: :grin: And ha, Hinata's focus is even firing Tsukki up. :thumb: And then ohohoho, Kageyama's interactions with the others... :grin: :grin: (...I laughed sooooo hard at him basically telling that new 'Little Giant'-like character that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: he was merely a 'good reference,' ROTFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) And oh man, Hinata's extremely rapid growth (in personality as well as observation and skills-via-osmosis) is both fascinating and fantastic! :jump: And Kageyama utilizing his own observations to teach Hinata even better techniques (even if he does kinda stink at explaining it, LOL :grin: ), and Hinata nonchalantly helping others via the new observations of his own... <3 :thumb: And Kageyama's actually having fun with the pressure from the blockers now-- but then that last comment from him had me going "WHAAAAAT...?!" along with everyone else, LOL! (Although I'm pretty sure I know what he meant, it's just that he doesn't have the people skills to explain it nicely, heh~ :P ) Oh man, this series... <3 :hug:

Haru x Kiyo chapters 14-15 via normal methods + chapters 16-36 via raws + text translations (END): Chapter 14 was so sweet~! <3 (The brothers made up! And oh my gosh Mineta's line at the end... :grin: ) For real, though, I *adore* Mineta. <3 <3 :hug: ...Anyway, I realized after reading that chapter that I should see if this series had raws + text translations on the same sites that I've been using to blast through some of the *new* series I've been reading, and it turns out that they *did*-- all the way to the end, in fact! :pikka: :jump: And it was just as amusing and adorable (and Mineta-being-fantastic :thumb: ) as it ever was. :) That said, I did think it was a bit unnecessary to add in a new (female) 'rival' towards the end (despite it being obvious to the readers and every other character except her-- and despite those other characters all trying to make it VERY clear to her :P -- that nothing at all would come of it), but it wasn't really that annoying and was resolved just fine (as was the old male 'rival'), and the end of the series was quite sweet, so I'm satisfied. <3 :thumb:

Joou no Hana chapters 13A-13B: ROTFL, I laughed so hard at Aki's response to the new guy when he asked her to rein Hakusei in... :lol: Anyway, she really is a great character. <3 :jump: And I honestly was not expecting to ever see SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Seitetsu again-- so any extra little bit SPOILER: Highlight text to read: with him before his imminent end :( :sniffle: was quite welcome!-- but that little conversation SPOILER: Highlight text to read: he and the emperor had was pretty illuminating (and pretty darn good-- the fact that the emperor actually SPOILER: Highlight text to read: split the royal seal in two and sent both halves to her in particular :pikka: ). I mean, the emperor is still not really a great guy :sweat: , but my opinion of him has *considerably* risen ( SPOILER: Highlight text to read: especially since he not only didn't execute Seitetsu, but was totally fine with helping Seitetsu escape-- and possibly even become Aki's consort! :pikka: ). Holy crap, though, speaking of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Seitetsu... that just broke my heart all over again {nooo}...! :( :sniffle: :sniffle: )

Kimi to Boku. chapters 32-55: Oh man. The translation for this had been stalled for so long that I had actually almost forgotten just how hilariously adorable this series truly was; but (finally!) getting to read all these great new chapters instantly reminded me of all the laughs and warm feelings this series so generously gives~ :hug: What a wonderful pick-me-up! <3

Mikado no Shihou chapter 3: Ah, this adorable fluff~! :hug: (Also, LOL-- I'm guessing the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: reveal of her age is going to be a recurring gag, then? :grin: )

Noragami vol.'s 12-15: ...Welp, I wasn't expecting that flashback/reveal to be pleasant (at all :sweat: ), but holy crap, that was even worse than I'd expected...! :pikka: Poor Yato's 'father' is the most evil, manipulative, abusive [CENSORED :P ] I've seen in manga/anime in a long, long time... :mutter: :banned: :bootout: And oh man, that whole hospital thing was intense. :wow!: Really liked the addition of Hiyori's brother-- he's hilarious :lol: :lol: -- and the thing with their grandmother was really touching in a SPOILER: Highlight text to read: bittersweet sort of way. Also, awww, Yato got told that he already was a 'god of happiness' from both Yukiné and Hiyori~ <3 :hug: ...As for the fate-tying ceremony: Oh dear, I have *really* mixed feelings about that :sweat: -- I mean, obviously I want SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hiyori and Yato to be together, so technically the fact that they were 'officially' tied together should have made me ridiculously happy; but on the other hand, it was SPOILER: Highlight text to read: *Kofuku* who tied them-- and we all know what happens to everything she touches... :pikka: :?: Finally: Ohhh man-- I had pretty much just assumed that Yato's 'father' was going to be the real main baddie/conflict of the series, but now it actually seems like a full-fledged war among the gods is brewing, with Takemikazuchi actually *wanting* trouble + the native gods getting restless + Bishamon actually taking control of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the shinki who dared to attack the sun itself (and basically saying that she wanted her to do so again...! :wow!: ) (On a sidenote: I'm getting worried about Kazuma, too {nooo!}... </3 :pikka: )

QQ Sweeper vol. 3 (end of the part of the story under this title; but the story is still continuing under a new title!): As this is not really an ending (the story continues straight into its 'sequel' {really just a changed title}, Queen's Quality, which Viz has thankfully also licensed! :thumb: ), I don't have much to say about it that I haven't already, except that it was both sweet and a bit suspenseful, and I'm quite looking forward to its continuation! :)

Rainbow Days, a.k.a. Nijiiro Days, chapters 49 + extra + 50: LOL, that was perfect. :lol: I mean, it did get a bit serious towards the end there, but I liked both how and why it was done ( SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the why being that Keiichi needs to get some more character development + the guys *are* coming up on the end of their time in high school, and the how being Tsuyoshi-- who has always been the most grounded and mature one of the group-- having that talk with him, as his 'opposite'). That little extra was cute, too. :) And it was very interesting that Tsuyoshi was the one who SPOILER: Highlight text to read: didn't write anything down, after him thinking the most about it...

Sensei Kunshu chapters 28-36: Ah yes, the series of *not*-innocent, utter-(yet-entertaining-)fluff. :P :grin: Aside from the entire thing with Samarun's tiny little cousin vs. sensei being downright hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol: and that little bit of backstory on sensei ( + bit of an explanation of how he sees Samarun) being both interesting and adorable, there's not really anything else to say about these chapters except that they're still complete fluff and yet still entertaining, LOL. :grin:

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii chapters 53-54: As I think I've mentioned before, this series has unfortunately been kinda disappointing me a bit ever since the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: loli arc :P , but I have to admit that I did like the fact that the hints of darkness about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nike's true power seem to have finally paid off, and Livi redeemed both himself here and also the geezer trio, too, LOL. :thumb: We'll see how it goes from here...

Spirit Circle EPILOGUE (YES!! THERE WAS ONE!!! :jump: ...So end for real now, then~ :thumb: ): This was a fantastic extra few pages featuring a farewell from SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Koko's soul and a beautiful little discussion about hatred and forgiveness, providing the absolute *perfect* cap to a masterpiece of a series. <3 :hug: :jump:

Takane to Hana chapter 22: LOL, all the interactions between Takane/Hana and Luciano/Mizuki were hilarious (and, eventually, sweet), as usual. :grin: ;) <3

Until Death Do Us Part omnibus volumes 9-12 (Japanese volumes 18-24): Don't remember if I commented on omnibus volume 9 or not (I think I'd originally read that one back around October last year; so, as most of you know, any potential review of that obviously may have been affected by the goings-on at that time... :P ), but oh well. Suffice it to say that volume was as good as usual. :) Anyway, as for the rest of the volumes: I was outright giggling at Senji with all his SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'bullet sponge' stuff (said completely seriously, no less!!). :hug: :grin: Oh man, though, that extra Mamoru backstory... :( :pikka: :pikka: ...And even more oh man, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Genda. :pikka: :sniffle: I mean, that was the absolute perfect end for him; but it was heartbreaking. :sniffle: Finally: Haruka being a total B.A.-- and the leader of the element network not only having chosen her to be in complete command of the new team, but everyone accepting it without even batting an eye, and treating her with the respect due that station (and then her living up to it and then some! :wow!: )-- was pure awesome. :jump: Just one more omnibus vol. to go~!

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, a.k.a. It's Difficult To Love An Otaku, chapter 12: ...Best excuse for a phobia of lightning ever. :lol: (...I mean, personally, I actually like lightning, but I can still relate. :grin: ) Also, yay more extremely adorable flashbacks to when they were children (oh my goodness I just can't~)! <3 <3 :hug:

Yotsuba&! vol. 13: I don't know whether I was just more in the mood for this series right now or what, but this seemed like the most hilariously adorable volume yet! <3 :lol: Yotsuba's extremely blunt interactions with her grandma (and her grandma's reactions/interactions/clever ways of handling her in turn ;) ) were just priceless. :grin: :grin:

And Zetsuen no Tempest chapter 44 + the final 6 extras (END): This is basically just aftermath/wrapping up some of the loose ends/some epilogues/extra backstory/etc. (since the main portion of the ending was essentially in chapter 43), but I'm quite glad they were written, because these last few chapters were a really great wrap-up to an already-excellent series. (And LOL, Yoshino, stealthily cunning to the end... ;) <3 :hug: ) :thumb:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Kaori » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Galaxy Express 999 v. 21 by Matsumoto Leiji

Over five years after I first started reading this manga (in Japanese), I finally finished it.

Although there was some fanfare and visual drama going on in this last volume, mostly it had a fairly inconclusive "The journey goes on" feel, both for Tetsurou and for a new character who was introduced and who started his own journey on a different train (so the author was going for that full-circle, a new person starts out on a new journey sort of thing). And I think I of understand what Matsumoto was trying to do and why, but it was pretty disappointing that the whole more-serious story arc having to do with some antagonists that we saw a lot of in earlier volumes petered out and had absolutely no conclusion whatsoever, and that I think is a real shortcoming of the writing.

But there were lots of pictures of lots of different models of flying trains, and hey, flying trains is one of the main things I came for, so at least that was satisfying.

Also I learned in this volume that there is no greater manliness than to give up one's life for one's friend.

As sort of a retrospective, and to give people reading this thread some perspective on what the beginning of the manga was like, I'd also like to share some things I wrote back when I first started reading this manga and was only on volume 2. As background, the manga has two story arcs, and there was a several year gap (1981-1996) between when Matsumoto finished the first arc (supposed to be the end of the series) and when he began the second one. Also, the general idea is that the main character visits a different planet every chapter, so it's very episodic with not an extremely strong connection between one episode and the next. Anyways, the following is about vol. 2:

The first chapter’s floating cows were so amusing that I laughed really hard; the hollow planet with the holes in its outer layer was charmingly quaint.

The second chapter was more elegiac and poetic, commenting on the brevity of human life, speculating about the eventual death of the universe, and giving more hints that immortality might not be everything that Tetsurou expects it to be.

There are enough hints about the larger overarching plot that is slowly going to unfold to keep me more than satisfied; in the meantime, this manga is really all about the journey—and with so many weird planets to explore, the journey is definitely enjoyable. [. . .] A quest for immortality, quaint (and occasionally pulpy) sci-fi, sinister hints, flying trains . . . what more can one ask for?

So, earlier I was saying some things about the second arc and how it had a more serious, focused atmosphere, and I did like that about the second arc (until that focus dissipated, that is), but despite having very patchy quality with some chapters being comic relief, or not as good as other chapters, that first arc also had some moments when it really made me think about things like aspects of human experience that we should treasure, and it also had a much more bildungsroman feel (you can't really have a coming-of-age story about a character who has already come of age), and looking back I am not sure I can say that the second arc is better. In retrospect, I think the first one, in its unhurried way, said more important things.

P.S. This means that, in regard to things that I own in hardcopy, I can move on next to either more of Imuri or read my first few volumes of Aozora Yell. Imuri is fantastic and of course reading more of it is always a good thing, but on the other hand I am really digging Aozora Yell. (Also it's possible I might read something on Renta! before either of those, so no guarantees.)
BlogMAL

Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Over five years after I first started reading this manga

True devotion. But, as you say, flying trains!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Read a bunch of new stuff again~! :thumb:

Cardcaptor Sakura "Honey Milk" Extras chapters 1-2 (complete): It took a bit of digging to find the first of these two chapters (hint for anyone else who wants to read them: chapter 1 can only be found in English on the translator's website, buried in the one-shots section :P ), but it was worth it, because both chapters were completely adorable. <3 <3 :hug: Basically, Sakura is a bit sick in the first one and Syaoran Xiaolang is in the second, and both of them get cheered up by a drink of warm milk with honey (the first one given to Sakura by her brother Touya, and the second to Syaoran Xiaolang by Sakura herself). <3 :)

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc chapters 1-5 (so far): This is the brand-new sequel to the Cardcaptor Sakura manga, and wow, it's excellent! :jump: Sakura and Syaoran Xiaolang together are just too adorable <3 <3 , and whoa, these new cards are serious business... :pikka: (Also: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ohhh, so Touya still has some kind of power {just a different kind now, not the kind he gave to Yuki/Yue}? WHAT IS GOING ON I MUST KNOW :pikka: ) Absolutely recommended, and can't wait for more! <3 :jump:

Futari no Renai Shoka chapters 1-14 (complete): This was an adorable 2-volume short series about people who love books and each other. <3 :hug: :thumb: The interesting thing about it (other than the books part, which is perfect :thumb: , as well as the fact that it's apparently seinen!) is that it basically ends up being a kind of love at first sight for the two leads (who happen to be a young-adult woman and a teenage guy, at least at the start {there are several timeskips}), but it's far more of a 'real connection' thing than a looks thing, so it feels like it could actually happen, even if everything does develop quite speedily in that regard. The bonus to this is that there's no unnecessary drama to the romance whatsoever; and very little plot-wise, either (even with the estranged parents!)-- just people working out their issues and learning to love. :) (Oh, and speaking of there being no unnecessary drama, I also *really* like the fact that there is literally zero drama/disapproval/anyone actually caring at all-- from any character, young or old!-- about either the age difference between the MC's or the {younger} guy's actual age in the first place, mostly because they're being responsible about it {indeed, nothing even happens despite them eventually living together because they're waiting on intimacy until they get married, etc.}.) So, yeah, this was a great little read, and recommended for whenever you have a need for a good short romance. :)

House Of Five Leaves, a.k.a. Saraiya Goyou, volumes 1-8 (complete): I had both this series and its anime adaptation on my plan-to-read/-watch lists for a while, but when it was recently announced that the anime was about to be taken down due to an expiring license, I had to quick marathon that first. :) Thus, I ended up reading the source manga afterwards (which is not my usual order of doing things, LOL, though I do make exceptions sometimes :) ); and while at the time I thought that the anime was great, it turns out that it really wasn't as great as it could have been had the manga been fully adapted. :sweat: See, while what they did cover in the anime was excellently adapted (basically panel for panel!), they unfortunately ended up cutting out an entire plot thread + a *ton* of character context/background/development for 'Yaichi' and Masa (+ Masa's family), as well as Jin, Otake, Matsu, and even Yagi! :pikka: + completely changed the ending (which is not only a lot better in the manga, but a lot more emotionally gripping and fulfilling, too). So, yeah, the manga at least is absolutely recommended. :thumb:

King Of Thorn, a.k.a. Ibara no Ou, volumes 1-6 (complete): This was actually one of the very first reading recommendations I received here a few years back; however, for some reason I'd never gotten around to reading it (...um, whoops! :sweat: ), so I figured I'd finally better get on that, LOL. And ohhh my goodness, I totally wish I'd gotten around to it sooner! It's such a great sci-fi-flavored survival thriller, hooking me right from the start and never letting go (also helped by the fact that since it's only 6 volumes, the pacing is really tight {in a good way}). :jump: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Though I do have to note that despite all my inner-romantic instincts I was really desperately trying *not* to ship Marco and Kasumi-- because I thought for sure that Marco was going to die the whole time and didn't want to be heartbroken/disappointed :sweat: -- but I failed spectacularly, LOL (yep, I just couldn't help shipping them. Hard!). :P :grin: <3 :thumb: ...I actually didn't need to worry about it at all, though. ;) I also liked how there was no magic reset button or anything of the sort-- all the stuff that had happened, and all of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the changes that had been made to the world and the people, all of that remained; and the one time a person was truly SPOILER: Highlight text to read: resurrected, another's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: life had to be given in exchange. Absolutely recommended! :jump:

Koe no Katachi original one-shot + series chapters 1-62 (complete): Wow... this was tough to read at times (especially the first few chapters). Its brutally honest depictions of bullying as well as the personalities and circumstances of all the people involved felt so utterly real that some of it was uncomfortable to even get through-- but I mean that as a compliment. And some of the characters do get a 'redemptive' phase, which is really good as well. That ending, though... well, normally I hate open endings like that (and this one's *really* open-- for both SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'couples' as well as one last resolution {you're left to wonder how that particular one went as opposed to showing it like the others were shown}, etc.), but... somehow it actually kinda felt right for this series (much as I'd prefer it to be otherwise :P ). So, yeah, recommended. :)

Lien no Tou yori one-shot (complete): This is a slightly-sci-fi one-shot set in a post-apocalyptic world where most humans have lived underground for a while, but are soon to return to the surface (...the world was very well-realized for a one-shot). The story revolves around a piano-playing robot (basically a sentient android, although only one or maybe two characters have a clue about his sentience by the end) and a girl who is among those set to return to the surface soon (and she doesn't want to leave)... It was quite emotive-- indeed, more than I had really expected it to be-- and really just a great one-shot in general. :thumb:

Ojojojo chapters 1-38 (so far): I just happened to run across this as being a very-high-rated title on one of the reading sites, and decided to give it a shot based on its genres/reviews... and I'm so glad I did, because ohhh my goodness this is fantastic! <3 :hug: It's a 4-koma, but while it's definitely funny, it's not static at all-- it actually has some great little character arcs and development and relationship growth, because it's basically a romance right from the start; and even though it might not seem at first like it's moving along quickly, it actually is (and it has one of the most satisfying confession scenes I've seen in a while, too! :thumb: :jump: ) The female MC is an ojou-type (literally-- she's ridiculously rich, and flaunts it, too {...for a reason, actually, but that'd be spoilers ;) }) who openly admits that she finds it hard to say what she's actually feeling (so she usually just ends up saying the opposite instead ;) ), and the male MC is an ever-so-slightly-eccentric quiet-type who doesn't often show what he's thinking and is delightfully easygoing (to the point that he'll quite willingly go along with anything and everything she says and does)-- and then there's the side characters... oh man this series is so cute and so much fun. <3 :) 100% recommended!! :jump: :jump:

Ouji one-shot by Kiichi Hotta (complete): This is a one-shot by the mangaka of Kimi to Boku. It was partly amusing and partly sweet (at first), but then (rather unexpectedly for this author-- Hotta-sensei certainly utilizes melancholy in KtB. on occasion in between its humor and adorableness, but that's nothing like this :pikka: ) it just stabs you in the heart :sniffle: (although in a rather beautiful way, if you know what I mean :P ). As such, it obviously has a bittersweet ending; but it was definitely worth the read nonetheless.

Petshop Of Horrors vol.'s 1-10 (complete): Well, I actually wasn't sure if I was going to like this series after how dark the first chapter was, but then the second chapter was bittersweetly beautiful, and the first volume only got better from there; so by the time I'd finished said volume (which actually ended on a positive note!), I was well and truly hooked. This series' blend of horror (both physical and psychological), moral lessons, and sweetness was pretty good (although it takes itself a bit less seriously than I expected a bit more often than I expected :sweat: , and I think it got a little sidetracked by the end, too; but oh well :P ). Bonus points for the wuxia reference followed by the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "all Chinese people can do this" line (which literally made me LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: ). As for content warnings: There's a fair amount of swearing; there's the occasional somewhat-gruesome ends that some of the people bring upon themselves (either by disregarding the pet-buying contracts or by attacking the Count himself); there's a rather heavy-handed 'environmental' (i.e. Earth and creatures above humanity :P ) message at times; reincarnation is assumed to happen (at least for some); some descendants of the Incas want to reconvert their supposedly-mostly-Christian nation back to the 'old gods' (by force if necessary, though they do soften that opinion a bit by the end of the chapter) :shady: ; there's a couple of topless shots (twice from creatures-- a mermaid and some type of parasite-- and the rest from some posters in the background); there are like 2-3 (very minor) one-off bi and trans characters; and in the third chapter of volume 3, the Count and another guy appear to start seducing each other, 'kiss,' and look like they're about to go further (they don't), though of course in reality the 'other guy' is actually an extremely rare (and illegal :P ) creature who was trying to literally SPOILER: Highlight text to read: eat (!) the Count, and the Count in turn was just trying to get possession of said creature (while being prepared and perfectly willing to SPOILER: Highlight text to read: lose a limb or two in the process... :pikka: ). :sweat: There's also quite a bond between the two (male) main characters (the Count and Leon)-- indeed, it's kind of an open question (as well as a bit of a running in-joke :P ) as to just what exactly that bond entails-- but nothing is ever definitively stated or shown one way or the other, so you can basically just read into it whatever you want (...also, the Count not only isn't human but in fact comes from a race of beings that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: apparently reproduce via parthenogenesis regardless of whether they're 'male' or 'female', so luckily even if you do possibly read something into it, there's still nothing SPOILER: Highlight text to read: sexual about it in the end regardless :P ). Anyway, the content aside... IMO this series was good but not great (except when it came to adorable little Chris, the Count's fantastically alluring character/outfit design, and the creatures' personalities, of course <3 ;) ), and as such I certainly don't regret reading it, so yeah. :)

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu chapters 1-10 (so far): This is another series where I had ended up watching the anime adaptation first; however, while there was actually quite a bit that was cut in S1 of the anime from even just what occurs in the first few chapters (from little but still significant things like several extra references to the titular "lovers' suicide" that provide a bit more context for it all the way to big things like whole entire stretches of Yotarou's 'training'), in return, you got *exquisite* full performances of the actual skits and a focus more on Kiku and Sukeroku rather than Yotarou. And the second season is apparently going to focus back on Yotarou again, so depending on how that goes, the adaptation could actually still be pretty much 100% perfect (if not even better! :wow!: ). <3 So both the manga and anime are great (and recommended). :)

And Ten no Ryuu Chi no Sakura chapters 1-15 (complete): Hmm... well, this is basically a short romance with dragons (really pretty ones, at that ;) ). On the good side, the art is nice, there's the aforementioned dragons ;) , and I laughed hysterically at the entire SPOILER: Highlight text to read: dance bit near the end :lol: :lol: :lol: ; on the not-so-good side, however, the 'school' aspect is way too overemphasized :eyeroll: :P , the romance is rushed (and not in a good *or* realistic way), there's no depth to it at all in any category (world, characters, romance, or story), and it's predictable. :sweat: ...All that said, however, it did leave me with a smile on my face at the end, so I guess I didn't really mind reading it anyway; but I wouldn't really recommend it out (there are *far* better short romance series out there, one of which I commented on earlier in this very post {!}, so... yeah :P *shrug*).
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Silver spoon chapters 119-120

OMG ARAKAWA-SAN FINALLY DREW A SPOILER: Highlight text to read: kissing scene! <3 I guess I haven't read all of her earlier stuff, but there weren't any in FMA, so I was actually wondering if she was even capable of doing it :XD: That was really sweet, while also being hilarious. Exactly what I would expect from my favorite mangaka :hug:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby LecktheTech » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:53 am

Been reading the Korean webcomic Girls The Wild's. Interesting, and amusing(for the most part). Also, I see absolutely no reason for it to be marked as ecchi.
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:48 am

HaruXKiyo chapter 12

Ugh, this translation sometimes makes it almost impossible to understand what anyone's saying... >_< But it's nice to see the plot growing thicker.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:HaruXKiyo chapter 12

Ugh, this translation sometimes makes it almost impossible to understand what anyone's saying... >_< But it's nice to see the plot growing thicker.

^ I feel your pain, LOL. Sent you a PM about translations that are actually readable (and, as a bonus, complete through to the very end of the series!). :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:32 pm

...Aaaaand as usual once again, I have not posted updates on the continuing series I've been reading for a good few months, so as usual once again, massive post on those incoming... :sweat: :P

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime chapters 80-81:

I laughed so hard at the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "fly into your arms" bit from both Zen and Kiki, ROTFL!!! :lol: :lol: And Obi being BA, as usual~ :jump: :thumb: ...Oh man, though, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Zen totally knows they're still lying... and the twins' older brother (who is apparently the mastermind behind all this) is quite a nasty piece of work indeed. :pikka: ...And ohhh crap, that twist just turned everything on its ear! :wow!: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I had a bad feeling at the end of the former of these two chapters that the twins were going to go ahead and do whatever awful thing their (downright evil) brother had ordered even though they obviously didn't want to; however, in reality they're actually trying to break free from him, and now think they have to kill him to stop him. :pikka: So now I have a bad feeling about this in another way (gah I don't want either of them to die in the attempt!)... :pikka: :pikka:

Amatsuki chapter 105:

OH. MY. GOSH. :wow!: :wow!: :wow!: This chapter was downright chilling (in a good way!). *shiver* SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Between the literally crazy doctor dude and the reveal of the *real* experiments... Can't wait for more! :jump:

Are You Alice? volumes 8-12 (end):

(My review of the first 7 volumes~) Ohhh man... the true, full, intertwining backstory(/ies) of Lewis Carroll, the Liddells, and Dinah the cat in the real world... :sniffle: :sniffle: </3 And the backstory for SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the White Rabbit is just as heartbreaking, despite him supposedly being an entirely fictional being (not originally human, like everyone else {and even that little revelation is also tremendously sad in and of itself, given that all those said humans have basically been confirmed to have attempted suicide...! :wow!: :sniffle: })... </3 Also: Holy crap, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the March Hare actually survived!!! :wow!: :wow!: :wow!: :jump: :jump: Another interesting twist with these last few volumes is the constant back-and-forth question of whether the world of the story is actually 'real' or not, as pretty much every single one of the MC's in the real world (aside from Dinah, a.k.a. the Cheshire Cat) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: went completely and utterly insane (along with all the killings/suicides) :pikka: , so you're never really sure until SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the whole attempted-suicide reveal + the reveal that all the people came from different, scattered time periods that it indeed *was* real. As for the ending: It was actually both sadder and happier than I expected (for instance, I never expected to be sad over SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the death of Jack The Ripper, of all people! :pikka: -- that was brilliantly done!), but let's just say that the people who *did* survive were pleasant surprises :) , and it was definitely worth the read in the end. :thumb:

Baccano! novels 8-22 (so far):

Yes, these have now been licensed by my #1 favorite publisher Yen Press <3 :thumb: , and yes, I am buying each volume from them just as quickly as they're released :thumb: ; however, I'd already read the first 7 volumes, and now that the 8th/9th books were *finally* fan-translated, I couldn't let all the rest of the already-translated volumes just sit there... :P ;) And ohhh my goodness-- the way Narita-sensei somehow interweaves things together in an ever-expanding way while also tightening the threads (something he does in all of his works) is just genius. :jump: For example: A seemingly small scene from the very first book propels an entire group of characters together in the 10th (!); and stuff from the 1700's has extremely high repercussions in the 2000's. :wow!: (*VERY SPOILERY* detail on some of that: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It's actually pretty subtle {for him, that is, LOL ;) }, but if you pay close enough attention, you'll figure out that not only did that really disgustingly sick cult nearly kill Elmer {obviously-- though that also chillingly explains why Elmer is 'empty' + doesn't care about harm to himself at all + views others' happiness [whether good or evil] as his own...! :pikka: } and that they were the ones who *did* kill Huey's mother {not quite so obvious, except in hindsight}-- you'll also quite chillingly realize that it was *Fermet* {!!!!!} who started it all by stealing the drug formula from Begg and distributing it + his own beyond-horrific acts upon poor Czes being suspiciously reminiscent of that disgusting cult's + it turning out that he actually purposefully *founded* said cult + murdering poor Monica {thereby setting off Huey, and all the *insanely* high number of repercussions from *that*} O_____O ... and, thus, essentially being the main bad guy (or at least the main cause of the majority of the evil) of the entire series-- for over 300 in-universe years-- *despite being dead for most of it*!!! O__________________O {......Until we find out that he actually wasn't, precisely, thanks to homunculus/clone bodies... :wow!: :wow!: :sweat: }) Also: Not sure if that hint about Fermet using the same phrase the 'demon' always does was just a red herring or actually significant... after all, it was revealed that there *are* multiple other 'demons' (and they can even talk across time! :wow!: ). Speaking of which: OH. MY. GOSH, we *finally* got a little insight into both Ronnie's past and his thought process, and it's *awesome!* :jump: Oh, and it has only been just barely hinted (indeed, it takes some real dot-connecting on the reader's part to figure it out), but I am literally willing to bet real money that Huey's *ultimate* goal with his experiments is to unlock the secret of time-travel! :wow!: (We'll see how right I am within the next few 2000's-era volumes~ :thumb: ) Finally, on an unrelated note: HOLY HECK, CLAIRE JUST SAID THAT FIRO COULD BEAT HIM?????!!!!!!!!! :wow!: :wow!: :wow!: :wow!: :wow!: Now *that's* a mindblowing twist/reveal... :pikka: At this point (volume 22) the story is very near the end of the 1930's arc (leaving just the seemingly-final 2000's-era for Narita-sensei to write after the 1930's are done), and literally every character and every plot point is coming to a massive head (in *both* of those last two eras-- as the most recent 2000's book, which was written just before the 1934 books, ended on quite the cliffhanger of that sort as well :thumb: ). So, yeah, it's all connected, and it's awesome. :jump: Narita-sensei is just too good. <3 :hug: :dance:

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc chapters 6-7:

Hmm... obviously the new SPOILER: Highlight text to read: transfer student is suspicious, but I can't tell whether they're actually going to go down that route or just leave it as a red herring. Also, I'm starting to get really concerned about whatever it is that Syaoran Xiaolang and Eriol can't tell Sakura yet, since they both seem quite concerned themselves... :pikka:

The Case Study Of Vanitas chapters 10-13:

Ch. 10: ...Okay, so if I'm reading this correctly, it seems that Charlatan SPOILER: Highlight text to read: isn't three different forms, it's three different personas... interesting. And gah, I knew this would have to happen at some point SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (that is, Vanitas ending someone's life instead of restoring them), but I do feel bad for Noé. :( Ch. 11: That "like he'd given up on something"-look line, though-- that was precisely it; Vanitas had that exact look when he said that he SPOILER: Highlight text to read: killed the girl (even though he didn't really murder her, precisely; he just put her out of her misery by her own wishes...) The end of this chapter was sweet, though. :) (...But oh dear, that promise + that sorrowful narration-from-hindsight on top... :pikka: ) Ch. 12: LOL, Vanitas being his hilariously trollish self once again. :grin: :grin: (And bwahaha, poor Luca... :lol: ) I also LOL'd at Noé's discussion with Domi about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Vanitas' blood. :grin: Wow, though, Vanitas' line about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: having no interest in the sort of person who'd fall for him... :( And ch. 13: Ohhh snap, these reveals... :wow!: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yikes-- I knew there was something fishy going on, but I honestly didn't expect that... :pikka: And while I'm not necessarily sure how I feel about the introduction of a SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'church' anti-vampire unit :shady: (though I do sort-of understand why it was included), this mangaka hasn't let me down yet :thumb: , so for now I'll just trust that it'll be written well. :)

Cheese In The Trap chapters 203-234:

Aw, In-Ho was kinda adorable at that point in his life, haha. <3 :grin: I literally LOL'd at him trying to figure out Jung's machinations and then when realizing that Jung hadn't actually said that he'd go, thought "LOL I like it" with a slightly-evil grin, bwahaha~ :lol: The ending to their fight in the present was kinda heartbreaking, though (with the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'first and last time' bit about the dinner...) I was very pleased that Sul gently but firmly asked Jung to explain the reason he hates In-Ho, and Jung actually did, indeed opening up to the point of actually finally revealing his fear of his own 'weirdness' (as it's put-- sociopathy is what it really is; but it was quite an interesting new little wrinkle in his character that even *he* is a little afraid of his own particular affliction... :pikka: ) Aw man, though, that flashback to Sul's childhood (and the reason for her fear of hospitals, among other things)... :sniffle: As for Jung's father: Ohohoho man, Jung's finally calling him out on the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'surveillance...' :pikka: :pikka: And yeah, all that combined with the flashbacks + his treatment of In-Ho when the latter finally swallowed his pride and came to see him... dude is messed up (though with the way Jung turned out, I'm not at all surprised about his father being messed up, too...). :shady: And wow, that flashback (where Jung and Sul were thinking/feeling exactly the same things, realizing they were more similar than different, etc.) was so interesting...! (And that's the end of S3; starting S4:) Wow, Sul is handling this situation with jerk-dude nearly as masterfully as Jung :thumb: -- and it seems that he finally is beginning to get his well-earned payback (just like stalker-boy did). :thumb: I am slightly annoyed at Bora (though it's her own fault, since if she *already knew* that Eun-Taek liked her, she should have just accepted him back then in the first place...! :shady: But I get that she had issues before, and was only finally ready now. And, actually, this stuff is usually handled quite well and interestingly in this series, so I'm fully expecting it to be resolved soon {and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to like the result, as well! ;) } :thumb: ).

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun chapters 81-83:

Bwahaha, Waka's otome game knowledge... ;) :lol: :lol: And I think 82 was just the volume extras? But sooo worth it nonetheless. :grin: And as for 83: BWAHAHA, the drama club's improv was priceless!! :lol: :lol:

Haikyuu!! chapters 223-234:

Haha, that was actually perfect. <3 (Loved how Nishinoya SPOILER: Highlight text to read: actually got it right away once Kageyama said what the problem was more directly, and was instantly no longer offended. <3 :thumb: ) ...Of course, Kageyama then ended up *truly* offending most everyone else, LOL... :sweat: :grin: ...But throughout both of the next two chapters, that got quite well sorted out, and now it looks like they all finally achieved a good balance in that regard. <3 :thumb: Also: Ohohoho, the strategy was quite good... :thumb: And Sulking Nishinoya is priceless~ :lol: ...And now we're finally to the nationals themselves! :jump: (LOL at poor Tsukki having to 'babysit' Kageyama and Hinata's run {and him being so scary that they actually obeyed, ROTFL}! :grin: :grin: :grin: ) Seeing a small bit of development for the 3rd-year manager was quite nice, too. :) And as for the first opponent: While SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Karasuno was off to a poor start, that was expected... and the next chapter was both really amusing and pretty epic (both Yamaguchi getting to shine once again <3 , and Kageyama's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Recalibration: Complete!" moment). :jump:

Joou no Hana chapter 14A:

Oh my gosh, Izumi-sensei, stop playing with my heart! :pikka: :sniffle: :?: (...Actually, don't, since the emotional stuff is really good, too {along with all the good plot}. I'm just kidding because my feelings have been twisted all over the place these last few chapters {not that I'm complaining. ...Much~}. :P ) Seriously, though... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I couldn't believe it when the beginning of this chapter showed that Seitetsu was actually still alive (again!), since I was *sure* that he was going to be definitively dead at the end of the previous chapter. I've already genuinely teared up twice thanks to this guy's seeming deaths (and Aki's love for him, and his utter loyalty-- indeed, itself love-- to her, etc. etc. etc.), don't you dare make me tear up a third time! :( (I want a happy ending, darn it! ...Even though that wouldn't be a happy ending for Hakusei, but it's not like that's likely, either, so...) *shakes fist* :P I need more~~~ :?:

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me To You vol. 24:

This was a nice, (mostly) laid-back volume, with lots of cute stuff about Shouta and Sawako's 1-year-of-dating anniversary, a few more apparent hints of possible Ayane x Pin at some point in the future, and some really sweet stuff with Chizu and Ryu. <3 <3 :hug: The end was a bit melancholy though SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (so it looks like they really are going to go the long-distance-relationship route, then?)...

Koudai-ke no Hitobito chapters 32-41:

ROTFL at the MC SPOILER: Highlight text to read: imagining that her fiancée is going to confess that he's a cyborg! :lol: :lol: Seriously, though, him explaining about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: his telepathy and her acceptance/delayed reaction(s)/etc. were golden. :grin: (And oh my gosh the wedding... :grin: ) Also, it was nice to see the progress with Shigeko and Kouhei, and while SPOILER: Highlight text to read: her trying to explain about her telepathy didn't go well :sweat: :(, I'm quite hopeful it'll work out in the end. :)

Liselotte & Witch's Forest vol.'s 1-2:

The fan translation (such as it was, LOL... :P ) for this had stopped long ago, but good old Yen Press picked it up :jump: , and I just picked up the first two volumes. Not only does the translation actually make sense now, LOL :grin: , I'm also now even more invested. (Wow, though, it sure got dark in a hurry {not that that's a bad thing}. :pikka: I mean, I already knew that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Enrich/Engetsu wasn't quite human anymore, but yikes... :pikka: )

March Comes In Like A Lion, a.k.a. 3-gatsu no Lion, special + chapters 115-126:

Oh man, just go ahead and squeeze my heart again, would you? :P Anyway: LOLOL, still with the 'prospects...' :grin: :grin: And OH MY GOSH the chapter with the dog(s) was *extremely* adorable~!!! <3 <3 :hug: Oh, and I was almost crying I was laughing so hard at Raidou + the others' reactions to Akari and Rei x Hina... :lol: :lol: :lol: And this new 9-dan was fun, too, since he tries to make things as interesting and long as possible, for 'research purposes...' :) Although, when it comes to trying to making things as interesting and long as possible, nothing beats the 'grim reaper,' who does it simply out of sheer respect and fun (for him, LOL! ;) ). :grin: Speaking of which: Rei's match with the 'grim reaper' (including the interaction with Smith's match next to them + even the camerapeople!) was creepy, cute, and downright hysterical all at the same time!! <3 :lol: :lol: And I'm not gonna lie, I'm *totally* shipping Shimada with Akari now <3 (poor guy deserves some happiness, and hey, that bit with his stomach finally feeling good for the first time in ages after eating her cooking is probs foreshadowing, right? RIGHT?? :) ). Ahhh, this series is amazing~ :hug: :jump:

Mikado no Shihou chapter 4:

I laughed so hard at the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Huh? It's ME?!?!?!" response by the supposed fortune-teller... :lol: :lol: :lol: I also loved the fact that the MC was berating herself for thinking about whether or not she liked the emperor while they're in a life-or-death situation, LOL. :grin: Just more cute fluff~ :)

Natsume's Book Of Friends vol. 19:

LOL, they're both scrawny. :grin: :grin: And I laughed so hard when they all started getting scared after Natsume mentioned what he had seen... :lol: :lol: Also: The one with the 'rock-washer' was so beautiful~ <3 <3 And the one after that gave another little glimpse of Reiko, too. <3 Gahhh this series is so good~ :hug:

Noragami vol.'s 16-17:

Ohhh man... this arc is really not good for my heart...... :pikka: :sweat: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Between Kazuma finally stinging Veena for the first time as he goes completely off the deep end (resolved to do quite literally *anything* to save her :sniffle: ) </3 :wow!: , all the death flags for both of them </3 :pikka: , and Takemikazuchi's surprisingly heart-twisting backstory, this really got me. :sniffle: ...Also, on a sidenote, I just ran across the big fan theory about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yato possibly being Tsukuyomi, and holy crap, it makes so much sense it's amazing :wow!: (especially when SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Tsukuyomi's supposed backstory and powers were explained). I always figured there would be some other twist to SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yato's character-- there certainly seemed to be hints to that effect-- so that combined with the evidence presented lead me to believe that that theory is indeed actually on the right track. (Guess we'll find out soon enough~! :thumb: )

Oresama Teacher vol.'s 19-20:

Ohhh man, that reveal about Hayasaka's family situation... :( :( Amnesia subplots can be pretty cliché if they're not handled carefully, but of course there's no need to worry about that with this mangaka-- indeed, this actually turned out to be one of the best uses of it I've seen in any medium :wow!: :thumb: , and its cause even explains his unusually-high level of denseness at times (quite cleverly, too, I might add)! :thumb: Also: Yay, we finally get to know Hayasaka's first name!! :thumb: And there was some super sweet stuff after the heaviness, too~ <3 <3 Oh, and the twist with the long-obscured photo in his wallet was downright *fantastic*-- it took me *completely* by surprise (I was sooo sure that it was going to turn out to be SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mafuyu, but the reveal that it's actually SPOILER: Highlight text to read: *him* was even better! :thumb: ) And oh wow, I love how the perspective of the whole thing with Miyabi's motives and all that was twisted again~ :thumb: (Ah, and so it was SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Runa who was the 'witch' in that little fairy tale...) And oh my gosh, the whole thing with the pigeon... ROTFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Finally: AHHHHHHHHH OKUBO AND MINATO CONFESSED TO EACH OTHER (in a sequence that was both really hilarious and also extremely sweet all at the same time! :lol: <3 <3 ) AND ARE ACTUALLY A COUPLE NOW (FINALLY!!), OH MY GOODNESS THIS MANGAKA *CAN* CANONIZE COUPLES-- YEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!! :jump: :dance: :jump: ...Speaking of which: I'd kinda doubted that there would ever be an official pairing for Mafuyu, but I'd always really hoped that if there was, it would be with Hayasaka rather than Mr. Jerk, LOL :sweat: ; yet I hadn't dared to actively wish for it to really occur. However, after these volumes, I now just can't help but actively ship Mafuyu and Hayasaka...! :wow!: :jump: (I mean, seriously: There was that hug; and then OMGOSH, she actually said in her 'penpal' letter that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hayasaka could be called her boyfriend (!!!) :wow!: :wow!: :wow!: ; and then her using his first name and telling him how pretty his hair is <3 <3 ; and then to top it all off, ohhhhh man, that moment when Hayasaka *finally* SPOILER: Highlight text to read: allowed himself to realize both that Mafuyu is 'Super Bun' *AND* that she actually *DID* come when he called...!! :wow!: <3 <3 <3 Is this real? Can I really ship this with a hope of resolution?? Halp! :?: :thumb: :grin: ) ...So, yeah, this was pretty awesome, LOL. Can't wait for more~! :jump:

Pandora Hearts: ~Caucus Race~ novel #2:

Gahhh, I'm so conflicted about this... :?: See, the first of these novels (which-- minus a several-page mini-chapter of manga in each volume-- were written by a completely different author than the original mangaka of the original, awesome P.H. manga series) was essentially just bad fanfiction, unfortunately :sweat: , and the latter half of this second volume is the same... *HOWEVER,* the *FIRST* half of this volume was actually downright fantastic-- since not only is that section actually decently written, it's all about Elliot and Leo! <3 <3 And while it is absolutely wonderful (and really just downright sweet :hug: ) to see more SPOILER: Highlight text to read: of them just being them before everything that goes down later, yet of course it also just twists the knife yet again, LOL. :sweat: It's a good hurt, though. :) Also: In the mini-manga (which happens to be an extra scene from that story), Leo's one genuine, stunningly sunny smile, so rarely seen, just about slayed me. :hug: So, yeah, it was *absolutely* worth it for the whole Elliot and Leo story + etc. alone... but *only* for that. :P

Skip-Beat! vol. 37:

Ohhhhh man, this volume... :wow!: The whole thing with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kyouko's mother was just brutal... :wow!: And then that entire sequence with Ren at the end-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that was so sweet <3 ; plus, I *think* that Kyouko might just *finally* have figured out that he's the 'fairy,' LOL (at least, I hope that's what that meant)! :grin: :thumb:

Takane to Hana chapter 23:

Oh my gosh this was so amusing. :grin: And Takane's little cousin is just too priceless... :grin:

Until Death Do Us Part omnibus vol. 13 (Japanese volumes 25-26) (end):

It was quite (evilly) clever how the baddie interacted with (read: manipulated) his women into doing his bidding by taking some of their wishes into account. Other than that, well, this was the finale, so there was plenty of action to spare, LOL. :P In all seriousness, though, yes SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that kiss and the wedding were nice and all, but the last chapter seemed really rushed-- it just felt like a quick wrap-up after a low-key cancel or something... :shady: Oh well...

And Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii chapters 12.5 + 13:

Gah... my heart~ <3 And ohohoho, so they're finally going on a 'real' date? Wonder how *that's* going to go... :grin:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:22 pm

...Aaaaand here's the *new* stuff I've read over the past few months! (It's kind-of a mixed bag this time, though-- some of this stuff was absolutely *great,* and some of it... very much *wasn't,* LOL. :sweat: So please note which was which~! :thumb: :P :grin: )

Bungou Stray Dogs chapters 1-48 (so far):

I'd had this on my plan-to-read list for a while, but the anime finally gave me the push I needed to read it sooner rather than later, and I'm *so* glad it did, because I am officially 120% hooked! :jump: :hug: I won't go into a synopsis because that's plenty easy enough to find, plus I'd already commented on a lot of the story beats in the anime discussions :) ; however, I will note that the art is great <3 , the pacing is much tighter and better than the anime, and there's slightly less of the stuff with the siblings. (Plus, there's even an all-text short story that explains Akutagawa's obsession with Dazai!) And, of course, it also goes further story-wise, including Atsushi's full backstory and the current (even-more-intense!) Dostoyevsky arc. :thumb: (And then there are the novels, too, which provide even more backstory and character development, and which I'm super excited to read next!) Simply put, not only is the manga better than the anime, it's an *excellent* series in and of itself! Definitely recommended (whether you've seen the anime or not)! :jump:

Chouritsu Soukou Zyklus;Code chapter 1 (DROPPED):

Ugh... and here I thought from the synopsis that this was basically going to be tailor-made just for me, with musical instruments having bodies and wills and choosing their players + the MC's going around fixing them, etc.-- but it didn't turn out that way at all, unfortunately. :shady: Let's just leave it at the fact that I dropped it after chapter one and do *not* recommend it. :shake: :forehead:

Horimiya volumes 1-5 (so far):

Oh. My. Gosh! I am absolutely *loving* this! :jump: The relationship between the MC's is great (and I just downright adore Miyamura {and his friend Tooru, too-- oh my gosh, I almost died laughing when Tooru tried to cover for Miyamura's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: tattoos during the school trip!! :lol: :lol: :lol: }). And there are slightly darker undertones at times, too, which imbues a nice little bit of realism into the fun (for example, Miyamura's piercings were SPOILER: Highlight text to read: actually a form of self-harm for him :pikka: ; and, given the bullying and his own mental state, if that one kid hadn't reached out to him when he was younger, he most likely would've been on the track to suicide...! :pikka: And Hori's family situation is a bit messed-up, too :sweat: ). So, yeah, it's a really great mix of serious and amusing/cute, and I'm really enjoying it so far. :thumb:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood omnibus volumes 1-3 (japanese volumes 1-5, complete):

So, I know the JoJo franchise is A Really Big Deal, and several people here whose opinions I respect seem to enjoy it quite a bit, so I had put all the Parts of the manga on my to-read-list, and decided to start from the beginning (Part 1). But even knowing going into this that pretty much everyone says this particular installment of JoJo is the least... er... entertaining of the lot, and even though I've heard great things about the later installments, I do have to say that this was not very encouraging in terms of making me want to continue, LOL... :sweat: It was kinda dumb and uninteresting; it seemed to try to take itself a little too seriously for about the first half or so; the excessively explanatory 'narration' was super corny (and not in an in-joke way, at least as far as I could tell); and the animal cruelty was downright unforgivable. :shady: Oh, and it was quite graphic at times, as well (and not in an amusing way, either). So, yeah, not the best introduction to the series, that's for sure. :sweat: Someone please convince me that it does indeed get better later on...?? :sweat:

Kuro by Soumatou, all chapters (complete):

I just randomly ran across this, decided to read it based on the synopsis + reviews, and am glad I did, because I loved it! :thumb: It had just the right balance of adorableness and horror, delusion and (supernatural) reality... and just enough info about the world to let you get some sort of grasp on what humanity is now dealing with without getting into a bunch of faux-sciencey details that would detract from the main core of the story, which is the relationship of Coco (the girl) and Kuro (the not-cat) (and a few other human characters thrown in for good measure), all attempting to live relatively peaceful lives in a creepy and dangerous world. It was *great.* :jump: :hug: :thumb:

Noragami: Awase Kagami special chapters 1-2 (complete):

This was a little flashback side-story. Nothing essential, but good nonetheless. :)

Platinum End chapters 1-2 (DROPPED):

:wow!: :wow!: :wow!: ...Um, *yikes.* This is the newest manga by duo Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata (the creators of Death Note and Bakuman.), and it's the first manga by this duo that was not only *not* great, but actually downright *bad* (and an instant drop). :pikka: This is due to three things: First, this particular series' *seriously* messed-up theology (and I'm usually pretty tolerant with that, so you know it's pretty darn messed up if I find it hard to take...); second, the fact that literally *none* of the characters are likeable in the least; and the third and final straw was the rather shocking inclusion of a certain scene that I had absolutely no need to see (...uh, basically it was a really loathsome guy using his powers to force every cute girl he could find to believe that they're in love with him and then literally attempting to SPOILER: Highlight text to read: have sex with like 14 of these poor, essentially-mind-contolled women at once-- quite vividly. :wow!: {Yuck!}). :wow!: :bootout: :banned: ...Yeah. I really have no idea what happened with the creators there :eyebrow: , but I suppose they eventually had to do a bad series at some point...? :shady: Obviously, stay the heck away from this. (...But *do* go read Death Note and Bakuman. if you haven't already, because they're actually great. Unlike this one. :P )

And Skip! Yamada-kun oneshot (complete):

...Well, that was depressing? And kinda pointless?? :eyebrow: :eyeroll: *shrug* Don't bother with this. :sweat:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:06 pm

FLCL Omnibus

I finished it! I pretty much enjoyed it more than the original anime. Maybe because it was easier to keep up with and understand, plus it also kept balance on multiple characters.

Some of the plot deviations were nice and made it fresh, but my only problem was the ending, which seemed like a massive detour from what the original anime ending was. It kind of lessened the impact of Naoto's character development towards accepting he is still just a kid and that he should stop trying to be so mature.

Anyways, it was still a fun read and I appreciate they kept the over the top spirit. The art style was also its same quirkiness I love, but it had a unique flavor to it. Regardless, the guy who made this did a fantastic job! =)
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Mouse2010 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:25 pm

Noragami volume 17. I am a little nervous about this story arc. I have trouble seeing it come to a "good" ending. The manga has gotten its characters out of some tight spots before, but I am particularly concerned both for Bishamon and Kazuma right now.

The Ancient Magus' Bride volume 6. Er, I'm actually only halfway through this. I think it's funny that I am pretty much constantly on the fence about this manga, but I always buy the next volume when I see it. Those gorgeous full-color pages, though! I swear, that's what keeps me coming back. Halfway through this volume, it's been pretty fluffy, but it looks like a new story arc is about to start.
Mouse2010

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm

D.Gray-Man chapter 224

At least...I guess it was a chapter???? It was so short....

HaruXKiyo chapter 13

I have issues with the whole concept of "controlling your girlfriend," so I hope that's just a matter of translation :/ Other than that, this chapter was hilarious - especially when Mineta gave Koharu his glasses! And I must say, Mineta looks rather dashing without them :3 I also snorted over how the girls had taken to pushing their glasses up all studiously. I have determined that I push my glasses up in the "strong and silent studious character" way too XD

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mouse2010 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:05 pm

A Bride's Story Volume 8. I think I liked this better than the last installment. I am increasingly caught up in Pariya's story. I hope things go well with her intended, but I am a little astounded at the sheer amount of needlework that she has to do. Wow.

I don't know what the author has planned for this series, but I kind of wish she'd skip a few years to when Karluk is mature, because I would really like to see some scenes with Amir and adult Karluk.
Mouse2010

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:18 am

Read a bunch of new-to-me manga recently! :thumb:

Atsui Hibi short story collection (4 chapters, complete):

This was actually the only thing I hadn't yet read from Yuki Midorikawa (who is the mangaka of Natsume's Book Of Friends as well as a number of short series and one-shots, all of which I've reviewed here before :) ). I believe this is one of her earlier one-shot collections, and while that does show a little, it's still good (as it would be, coming from her, LOL!). The titular first chapter was a bit surprising in how dark the one kid's family situation was, but that certainly made for an interesting change of pace. The second chapter was a sweetly melancholy one about an artist whose work just sort of... seeps out of him, but he'd been having issues expressing it. The third chapter is actually a sequel to the first one, this time focusing on the relationships. And the fourth and final chapter is the only one that's actually kinda mediocre, but still not awful or anything (indeed, I don't think that's even possible for this mangaka, LOL, no matter how early the work! :thumb: ). So, yeah, decent reads. :)

Basara volumes 1-27 (complete):

Wow, this manga was intense. :wow!: (I mean that as a compliment, though! :) ) Pay no mind to the slightly-too-fast-pace of the first volume, because everything after that is gold. Both the characters and the plot are more complex than they first seem; there's a lot of political machinations going on (although pretty much all of it is due to severe personal and familial dysfunction :sweat: ... which is actually pretty realistic, TBH); even most of the characters that you initially hate turn out to have depth (and are definitely understandable-- indeed, so much so that some of the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: deaths of characters you thought were 'enemies' are surprisingly moving :sniffle: ), and minus like two obviously evil characters that you don't even hardly see much of, most everyone is just doing what they think they have to do to get to their desired future within the context of their own personal philosophies (and both the main protagonist and main seeming-antagonist end up doing terrible things at times for those causes; however, both also learn and change a heck of a lot for the better throughout the course of the story because of that as well, which makes it all the more gripping). And there are some good plot twists, too; I did not expect a lot of the events. Plus, despite-- or, rather, really because of-- the war, this manga also ends up making a very strong case against hatred and killing and for love and the sanctity of life. <3

...That said, there is a fair amount of content to be aware of: It's pretty violent for shoujo, LOL-- I mean, there *is* a war on, after all :P -- though there's nothing too graphic; there is a tiny bit of nudity (though *not* for fanservice); one character's orientation is a bit... vague (he says he likes women, and he obviously does; and reacts understandably vehemently when any men come on to him... yet he also did apparently love one man as well {who was himself 100% straight and had no idea, though, so nothing came of it}); and there is rather more than a bit of sex (several obvious {but tasteful} 'after' panels + five partial scenes, and thankfully none of them are graphic; however, while one of these is the usual female-and-male- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: MC's-finally-get-together scene and another is a woman trying to basically train a guy out of the trauma he had associated with the act (though they do like each other, too) :P , three of them are pretty brutal in terms of circumstance-- one involves a slave boy being cruelly abused {in every possible way} by his male master, another involves a guy offering himself to another guy under duress in order to protect someone he cares about from being raped instead {which is as horrifying to the character being protected as it is to the reader, but thankfully it's more discussed than actually shown}, and a girl is raped by her own father). So, yeah, this manga doesn't play around. :sweat:

TL;DR: If you can handle those several brief scenes (which all have legitimate character and plot purposes, and the bad ones of which are not approved of by anyone in the story, anyway), this is an epic, excellent classic.

Bokura ga Ita, a.k.a. We Were There , volumes 1-16 (complete):

:bang: Ugh... why, why was this (supposedly) so popular......?! :?: The art aside (it definitely isn't the best; for example, faces aren't drawn in unless it's the MC's and they're in the foreground, and sometimes not even then, LOL...! :P ), it *starts out* decently enough-- not only does the guy have a lot going on mentally (due to the double betrayal-and-tragedy he went through plus a very big mistake he made besides), the girl confesses her crush quite soon but immediately rejects his casual offer to go out because if they go out she wants their feelings to be mutual first; etc. And it takes a *VERY* surprising turn halfway through-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the main guy actually disappeared a little while after he went to Tokyo, which makes the next few volumes almost a mystery as it's revealed what happened; and for that plus various other reasons (which were seemingly foreshadowed both well in advance and also after the actual timeskip) it very much looks like the main girl and the best friend will actually be endgame instead (to the point where they're planning to move in together and the girl is seriously considering marrying him)... and goodness knows the poor guy deserves it!-- which I was actually fairly impressed by, at first... however, then the mangaka just didn't have the guts to go through with that to its natural conclusion (...look, the main dude made his choice, bad as it was {though it wasn't like he had the greatest track record in that area anyway... :eyeroll: }, and in real life he and everyone else would've just had to live with it and move on. Also, it's not realistic for the girl to SPOILER: Highlight text to read: still not be over him even after five years; I mean, I know that some people do only really fall in love once and that love never fades, but that's usually with older couples who have been together for decades or whatever, not your first teen love who disappeared off the face of the planet after knowing them for barely a year {which BTW was a really jerk move not just because it was in and of itself [obviously! :P ], but also coming from him especially, since he actually had something similar happen to him [only that time the character actually died], so he should know how awful that non-closure would have felt!}... and thus the best friend just ends up cruelly used, because of course SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the original two end up back together heedless of even the slightest drop of realism or consequences {seriously, what the genuine heck?!! :bang: }), so in the end this just bitterly disappointed me. ...No, even 'bitterly disappointed' is too nice a phrase-- the more I thought about it, the more ticked off and actually downright disgusted I became. :comp: To sum it up, the plot just ends up being one huge flies-in-the-face-of-consequences cop-out-- so I really regret reading it now... please don't bother wasting your time on this. :bootout:

Koi Kaze chapters 1-35 (complete):

...Uh, yeah... this is that incest one. :sweat: And it's neither the best nor most realistic work I've read that deals with that topic. Indeed, both of those titles actually go to the surprisingly excellent "Deepening The Scar" one-shot by Yuki Midorikawa, which is both beautifully sensitive and bittersweetly realistic-- in that while the love the formerly-estranged siblings come to share in that work is very tender and real, and neither of them can help it, it's precisely *because* of that that they do the right thing, separating for good and making sure that nothing comes of it at all. In fact, that one-shot by Midorikawa-sensei is the *only* work that deals with the topic that I can openheartedly recommend to just about anyone, because of that perfect combination of sensitivity, realism, and upholding of the commitment to doing the right thing even when it hurts. ...On the other hand, Koi Kaze (which is what I'm supposed to be commenting on :P ) is nearly the exact opposite-- not only do the siblings here refuse to abide by their own rules of separation, they eventually do SPOILER: Highlight text to read: actually sleep together :pikka: and formally 'commit' to each other besides (the brother tells their mother that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: he's never going to marry-- although not why, for obvious reasons :eyeroll:), despite the fact that this is going to basically ruin both of their lives if it ever gets out (aside from the one coworker who already did accidentally find out and was rightfully very disgusted by it, but decided to keep her mouth shut for whatever reason). So... yeah, I'm kinda conflicted about this series. It's not like it was *badly* done, necessarily, it's just not... well, realistic, in that sense; and if it's going to deal with such a heavy topic, IMO it really should be-- showing the eventual consequences of their actions instead of just a seemingly-happy SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "I love you" to each other at the end. :shady: So I don't really recommend this (...but I *would* really recommend "Deepening The Scar" instead, obviously :P ).

Mob Psycho 100 chapters 1-98.5 (so far):

Welp, I already raved about how awesome I thought the anime was (second section of the linked post), so I'll just get on to the manga-specific comments here. :) First things first: Well, if I hadn't watched the anime beforehand, the (purposeful) art style might have been a bit of a shock, LOL; and even prepared for it, it was still almost hilariously ugly for a while (though that's actually kind of the point), but it did steadily improve over time (indeed, some of the later spreads are really quite impressive). As for the story: There's a little extra humor (LOOOOOL the Body Improvement Club members' 'stats' are hysterical!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ), and there's also some surprisingly darker (and even more epic!) stuff later on, but that's not a bad thing at all-- plus, said stuff actually brought about my favorite quote of the entire series so far (yes, even more than Reigen's monologue to the Claw people!), and it's Mob who says it: "Any person can change. That's why there are no worthless people." <3 <3 And speaking of Mob: He really does grow as a person throughout (as do the minor characters, as well, who also become surprisingly awesome in and of themselves). <3 Oh, and even better, the expectation-subversions don't stop after the point where the anime did-- there have already been several more, and one in particular had me right on the edge of my seat until the subversion was revealed. So, yeah, definitely go watch the anime and then definitely read this afterward! :thumb:

Princess Jellyfish, a.k.a. Kuragehime, chapters 1-81 (so far), via Crunchy:

I'd always heard that this josei was excellent, and I can now personally confirm that it indeed is! :thumb: Every character is college-age or older; the main cast of female otaku are both amusing and great; the downright-criminally gorgeous, ( + very straight, and for good reasons :thumb: ) crossdressing Kuranosuke is a fantastic character who is super fun <3 (seriously, I *adore* him! :hug: :jump: ); and his older brother isn't bad, either. :thumb: :grin: Also, the loose-lipped (...uh, in more ways than one :forehead: :P :grin: :grin: ) chauffeur is hilarious, too. :grin: As for the story: The central conflict-- saving the otaku girls' home-- works wonderfully well, and the starting-a-business-from-scratch + fashion-design aspects (used to raise money for the property's survival) is really cool, too (especially since it's with a *very* unique inspiration ;) ). Oh, and the mangaka's little omake about herself and her family (and later also her assistants, etc.) is unexpectedly hilarious. :lol: Really looking forward to seeing what happens next~! :jump:

A combined, interwoven reading of xxxHOLiC volumes 1-19 (complete) + Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE volumes 1-28 (complete) in volume publishing order, since that's essentially how they were intended to be read (...plus their sequels, as well-- but first things first! ;) ):

xxxHOLiC is a supernatural Slice Of Life that is overflowing with atmosphere, wisdom, deep yet sad kindness, and occasionally my own tears :sniffle: <3 <3 ; and Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE is CLAMP's alternate-multiverse + timey-wimey-paradox crossover-fic with a heavy dash of blood and feels. :) And these really do work best when reading them in tandem (indeed, by the time it gets towards the end of both series, I think you'd be fairly confused if you *didn't* read them that way, LOL! :grin: I didn't mind this at all, though). And while I may have rated Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE a 9 and xxxHOLiC a 10-- a seemingly-small difference-- xxxHOLiC actually ended up being my favorite of the two by a surprisingly large margin (and it's certainly the better, wiser, and more beautiful work by any standard). Still, while (IMO) one is the clear masterpiece of the two, both were excellent and gripping reads, and if you know/like anything about CLAMP they (as well as their respective sequels) should definitely be on your to-read list. :thumb: Speaking of which...

And the aforementioned sequels, Tsubasa: WoRLD CHRoNiCLE - Niraikanai-hen volumes 1-3 (complete) and xxxHOLiC Rei chapters 1-54 (so far, as it's actually still ongoing!):

xxxHOLiC Rei occurs very near the end of the original xxxHOLiC series (before the last chapter's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: timeskip); and, of course, just like the first series, the already-finished Tsubasa: WoRLD CHRoNiCLE - Niraikanai-hen occurs during and thus intertwines with Rei (though by the point at which they're up to now Rei is taking place afterwards, since WoRLD CHRoNiCLE - Niraikanai-hen is already done while Rei is still currently ongoing). And IMO both are equally as excellent as their first series-- WoRLD CHRoNiCLE - Niraikanai-hen features one new world on SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Syaoran, Kurogane, & Fai's new journey, which was really quite interesting; and xxxHOLiC Rei continues its wonderful self during SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Watanuki's time as the shop manager with one new overarching mystery in the background (and it already made me cry again, just like the original series did <3 :sniffle: -- which is not a complaint at all!). Very much looking forward to more! :jump:

...Oh, and I *also* read the xxxHOLiC novel, ...AnotherHOLiC, which (while storyboarded by CLAMP) was actually written by NisiOisiN (complete):

Some of the dialogue exchanges in this were downright hilarious. :lol: That said, Yuuko seems to be painted a bit more meanly here than she really was; however, Watanuki always was a bit of an unreliable narrator (at least, until just near the point where SPOILER: Highlight text to read: he made his choice to take over the shop; though there were some glimpses of his true feelings during things like the eye-replacing incident and, particularly, during and after his near-death experience and his subsequent knowledge of what had been done to save him, etc.)... and there was also one very clever little explanation as to why he might be an unreliable narrator in the first place (at least when it comes to Doumeki). So, in all, it was a good little read; not the masterpieces that IMO both of the xxxHOLiC manga are, but decent (and occasionally hilarious) enough side-stories.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:52 am

MangaRocks! wrote:A combined, interwoven reading of xxxHOLiC volumes 1-19 (complete) + Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE volumes 1-28 (complete) in volume publishing order, since that's essentially how they were intended to be read

Oh that is interesting. xxxHolic's always been on my radar (Tsubasa not so much) but I knew there was crossover, so I'm definitely saving that reading order for one day when I want to tackle some CLAMP works.Thanks for posting it.

I'm actually just stopping by to say that Helck by Nanaki Nanao is good. Parphrased from the myanimelist summary: "Soon after the last Demon King was defeated, the Demon Empire started a contest to choose a successor. But the favourite to win was no other than a human, The Hero Helck, whose motive to become the Demon King was to defeat his own race. What are Helck's true motives to participate in the contest and defeat the human kingdom? It's up to one of the Four Heavenly Kings of the Empire, Red Vamirio, to discover and unfold Helck's true intentions."

The story soon develops past this basic premise though, delving into Helck's backstory and the history of human vs demon conflict. BTW, there's nothing that makes the characters from the Empire "demonic" other than being from different "fantasy races" and fantasy magic, though humans can and do use magic too. There's some nice twists to the usual fantasy epic/war story and I've ended up caring about a lot of the characters as well. It has a kind of FMA vibe, swinging rather well between funny/sweet and serious.

Other stuff I've been reading:

Ojojojo: a 4-koma about the relationship between a quiet, outcast boy and a rich girl who's arrogant personality causes her to be shunned by her classmates. It's a cute read, with a good amount of story and character growth for a 4-koma, nice for if you want a quick, light break.

Gon: the (textless) adventures of a tiny dinosaur and the animals around him. The art is phenominal and the story episodic, but I like it less than I expected because Gon can be a bully sometimes, so my enjoyment varies from story to story.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews