What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Re: What Manga are you reading?

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 am

Koe no Katachi 58
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wow that critic was not even being constructive, he was just malicious and obviously jaded. He needs to get off his high horse, this was their first film ever. But go Ishida for standing up for them and everyone being okay after! And Shoko laughing!! AAAAH!

Noragami 45
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Tell us more about the other girl! How come Hiyori can see into Yato's dreams? 8o At least Yato told some truth, confessing about his dad but not telling the real secret.

Fairy Tail Zero 4
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mavis is super awesome I love how she's just summons this huge wolf as an illusion. AND ZEREF!!

Fairy Tail Ice Trail 4
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: GILDARTS!

CinniScrib

Postby drill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 am

Pandora Hearts 70 - SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Such a plot twist! I didn't think that Oz was B-Rabbit for a second, but everything actually makes since now

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari 9 - SPOILER: Highlight text to read: This is probably my favorite manga I have ever read. MC and his partner are really well made characters. Although I haven't read the novel, my guess is that he will gain the popularity of all the people, and then overthrow the current king.
drill

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Liar Game chapters 77-79

...Okay, now I feel stupid. For some reason I was thinking that Kikuchi was Yokoya in disguise.... <_< Something about their eyes (when Kikuchi takes off his glasses) and Kikuchi's intellect made me think of Yokoya. But I can see now that Kikuchi lets his emotions get the better of him way more than Yokoya would ever allow. Guess I'm just too impatient to see him and Akiyama face off again :P
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Naruto 697
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm going to kick Sasuke to the curb. Omgosh. Seriously watch something's going to intervene at the last second in the next chapter.
So the movie is coming out after the final chapter since this will be done in November... So "The Last" will be canon ending/epilogue?

Bleach 602

drill wrote:Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari 9 - SPOILER: Highlight text to read: This is probably my favorite manga I have ever read. MC and his partner are really well made characters. Although I haven't read the novel, my guess is that he will gain the popularity of all the people, and then overthrow the current king.

Omogsh I hope so too! I haven't read the novel but I really hope that happens!

CinniScrib

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Oh dear; I haven't posted in this thread in *way* too long, LOL. :sweat: Massive post incoming... :sweat: :sweat:

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime chapters 58-59: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That "graduate from 'pretty boy' to 'pretty man'" line, ROTFL!! :lol: :lol: *Ahem*-- anyway :) , the talk between Obi and Zen was really sweet <3 :) ... and BWAHAHA Obi just suddenly asking Zen when he's going to propose to Shirayuki (and Zen's reaction)-- that was awesome. :lol: (ROTFL at the mask thing, too. :lol: ) And that last page... aw. <3 :) :hug:

Hibi Chouchou chapters 48-50: Cute stuff with both the current and new characters. :) Also, there's an interesting little sidetrack going on now with one new character in particular-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: at first, it looked like she was going to be revealed to have liked Kawasumi (and I still think she did originally?), but in an interesting little (mild) twist, it looks like she actually likes Atohira (for some strange reason, LOL :P ), now...

Kamisama Hajimemashita, a.k.a. Kamisama Kiss, chapters 118-119: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nanami was justifiably scarred by her previous experience with Kirihito-- and is also just scared of him regardless, due to his wanton violence-- but she didn't let him push her around this time. :thumb: And I also really like the fact that she didn't hold back on telling Tomoe about it, either (after a very sweet talk with him, too <3 ). :)

Karneval chapter 84: Aw, that little backstory about when Hirato and Tsukumo met. <3 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That cliffhanger was just plain cruel, though, LOL-- especially because, given this mangaka's particular brand of humor, I can't tell whether I should expect what it looked like (and what I'm hoping for-- I've been subtly shipping those two for quite a while now), or just expect to be trolled good and hard... :?: :grin:

Orange chapter 14: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The cuteness in the beginning <3 :grin: ... also, LOL at them all ribbing each other about their parents. :grin: I also liked the fact that no matter what they did-- following the letter or not-- it didn't work things out perfectly (because it's a bit more realistic that way). Yeah, Kakeru had a nicer *start* to the day; but he was still depressed, and even obliquely referenced the fact that he doesn't know 'how long he'll be around,' which means he was contemplating his suicide even then. :pikka: That said, though, as Suwa mentioned, it did seem like he's moving in the right direction at the end, so here's hoping that trend will continue...

Pandora Hearts chapter 98: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ah, that was a good little glimpse of what's going on in the present. Back in the past, though, that bit with Echo... :sniffle: And whoa, I was *not* expecting that particular 'meeting' with Jack. :pikka: These cliffhangers... :pikka:

Spirit Circle chapter 28: ...Yep, and here it is. :sniffle: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Before I get to that, I do have to say that the dating thing was quite cute indeed :grin: , and the time-travel research sounds interesting (whether that ends up being possibly relevant to the overall story or not). That said, though, man... Mizukami-sensei does it again. How does he make all of these relatively-short excursions into the characters' past lives so poignantly heartbreaking... and so excellent...? <3 :sniffle:

Taiyou no Ie chapter 46: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, it's a little annoying now that Mao still hasn't told Hiro yet, but at least she talked it over with Chihiro and her step-mom (although with the latter she asked in a third-party kind of way, her step-mom understood enough to help), which was a good step in the right direction. Also, it was nice that Sugimoto finally understood the full import of Mao's novel and how wrong it was to pretend to be its writer, so that should be cleared up pretty soon. :thumb:

Dawn Of The Arcana volume 13 (end): This surprised me in a good way. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: First, I was surprised that Nakaba was half-Ajin (although, once that was revealed, it was easy to see what the next twist was going to be). And the feels were actually surprisingly intense here in the finale. In particular, Loki being able to communicate with Nakaba at the end was really quite moving. And the image of Nakaba and Caesar at the end with a child on the way was a good way to close the series off.

Skip Beat! volume 33: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Heh-- the elaboration of the previous volume's cliffhanger scene, and what Kyoko and Ren were actually thinking during it, was really quite interesting (and quite amusing, bwahaha :lol: ). And oh my gosh, when the director was trying to process Ren's neck mark... :lol: :lol: (Also: That 'hamster' thing, LOL! :lol: ) On a more serious note :) , part of what was interesting was Kyoko's comparison of her own inner darkness to Ren's, and her dilemma about her feelings for him-- which she fully realizes now, but does not want to accept, due to her previous disastrous relationship with Shou-- as well as how that might affect her acting.

And Until Death Do Us Part omnibus vol. 7 (japanese vol.'s 13-14): Here we get an interesting bit of backstory on Mamoru (which was pretty much as brutal as expected), as well as that new character 'Jesus' (the interactions between the two of them being both interesting and amusing). Also, yikes, that is quite the setup at the end... :pikka: :grin:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Magi ch 244
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: NO HAKURYUU!!!! Poor Belial though! D8

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Fairy Tail 406
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I love how the title only counts for the very last page. So basically a spoiler before you even start reading then at the end BOOM there is the reason for the title.

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Koe no Katachi 59
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sahara as a model! WOW! I'm proud of Shoko for thinking of a dream though Ishida is regressing. First he says he'll support her and cheer her on but as soon as she says "Tokyo" he flips. But Uneo and Sahara won!!!

Naruto 698
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wow well we knew there was going to be a big loss on either if not just one side, Sasuke loss the use of his left eye I believe or at least for a while since it's strained... But their hands! At least they can get prosthetics I believe 8( But that definitely is going to put a damper on using seals. Come on Sakura, go find them and heal them up/stop the blood loss!
One more chapter! D8

Bleach 603

Nanatsu no Taizai 100
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: HAWK LIIIIIVES! I seriously wonder what the next arc will be since the whole basis of the plot was this one arc with the 7 Sins being framed.

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Tsuyokute New Saga 1-9

Just found it and I think it's worth sticking with!

CinniScrib

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Silver Spoon chapter 106

This is the kind of thing my friends would do if someone tried to sweet-talk me, I think :lol:

Liar Game chapters 80-84

Round 4, yeah! :dance: I can't wait to see what Yokoya's got cooked up for them, and how they'll fare SPOILER: Highlight text to read: without Fukunaga this time.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CinniScrib » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:55 am

Shana oh Yoshitsune 30
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well, finally it happened. Been waiting since ch1 but seriously that sucked!

Fairy Tail ch407
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: YAH! Natsu got his scarf back! And Gray is back!

CinniScrib

Postby Cat96 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Les Miserables (Manga Adaptation). Started it when I first got on the bus twenty minutes before school started and finished the 330 page manga by the end of 8th bell, without reading in the middle of class when we were working. I really enjoyed this adaptation and I hope to buy a copy of this (the copy I read is borrowed from the library).

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Volume 2. Comparing it to the anime, I wished the manga had the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sakura waking up and disappearing. Maybe it will be in a future volume.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:33 am

Read a distressing amount of Haikyuu!! the last few days. Don't know what I'm gonna do once I catch up to the current chapters.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Koe no Katachi 60
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ishida realizes he's wrong!!! BUT SHOKO IS CHANGING HER MIND. NOOO! Meanwhile their talk of what do do after HS is such an identity crisis, really it is especially now a days compared to past generations. But also Mashiba straight up telling Kowai not to be set just because of her feelings that aren't currently expressed both ways is so realistic and he respects her decision! And Ishida tutoring Yuzuru! I love those two with their friend/sibling relationship!
Wait does it mean it'll be ending next chapter or in a few? WHY SAY REACHING THE 'CLIMAX' AND TIMES PASSES!? NOOO TO SUDDEN TIMESKIPS WITH A BUNCH OF UNKNOWNS BETWEEN.

CinniScrib

Postby GeneD » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:37 am

CinniScrib wrote:Koe no Katachi 60
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ishida realizes he's wrong!!! BUT SHOKO IS CHANGING HER MIND. NOOO! Meanwhile their talk of what do do after HS is such an identity crisis, really it is especially now a days compared to past generations. But also Mashiba straight up telling Kowai not to be set just because of her feelings that aren't currently expressed both ways is so realistic and he respects her decision! And Ishida tutoring Yuzuru! I love those two with their friend/sibling relationship!
Wait does it mean it'll be ending next chapter or in a few? WHY SAY REACHING THE 'CLIMAX' AND TIMES PASSES!? NOOO TO SUDDEN TIMESKIPS WITH A BUNCH OF UNKNOWNS BETWEEN.

Not sure, MAL lists it as 62 chapters... If there is a time-skip, hopefully it only takes up a little bit of the chapter. I'm kinda disappointed SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that the aftermath of Ishida's accident was dealt with so... briefly, like they just skimmed over it. But I'm glad everyone seems to be okay and didn't let that jerk critic upset them further.
That exchange between Mashiba and Kawai and the whole "what we are after highschool" conversation was really good. I'm also glad Ishida came around about Tokyo, so now we just have to see what Shoko's gonna do.

Spirit Circle ch 29: HOLY CRAP. That is all. It's unfair when something makes you want to re-read it when it hasn't even finished yet. I'll need a re-read to completely wrap my head around this arc.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby CinniScrib » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:34 pm

Magi - Sinbad no Bouken 39-40

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Naruto 699 & 700
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: GOOD JOB ON YOU SASUKE FOR ACTUALLY SAYING SORRY YOU LOST JERK. And I was wondering about the artificial arm since I know in the upcoming movie Naruto has one, I figured it had to be artificial. BUT KAKASHI IS HOKAAAAGE!!
BUT ALL THE NG BABIES! THE OLDER FIRST NARUTO CAST KIDS D8!! I'm so glad for Hinata that she ended up with Naruto! OMogsh Ino and Sai totally ended up together and Choji and Karui!! Whaaat? But seriously Sakura and Sasuke's kid's name is Salad? And I'm guessing Lee didn't end up with anyone, but like with Guy and him he found a kid that looks like him to train???

THAT'S IT! THE END! SO BITTERSWEET THE SERIES IS ENDING! But, at least we're getting a spin-off series/complimation of stories next spring but seriously... ;~;

Bleach 604
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well just about the whole Zero squad is dead now :B

CinniScrib

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:28 pm

The Heroic Legend of Arslan chapters 13-16

Oooooh, the plot thickens! Though I have to wonder if something got lost in translation, or they're actually implying that Arslan is Andragoras' illegitimate son.... Anyway, I'm even more curious about the faint threads of magic in this story, and am wondering how this will all turn out.

Liar Game chapters 85-87

How does Kaitani-san come up with so many vastly different kinds of games for each round?! I would never be able to come up with such a variety, especially not with such complexity in each one. (Though I have to admit, when I read that this round is a "pandemic game," I immediately thought of the board game Pandemic :lol: )

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Magi 245
So disappointed in a certain character SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The corruption! D8 I felt so bad for Hakuryuu earlier in the manga and liked him but now... wow.

CinniScrib

Postby Exlon » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Dengeki Daisy is wonderful. ;-; Sadly, there's only one volume left after the one that just came out...16 volumes...it should've hit at least 20...
Exlon

Postby scribbledreamer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Dengeki Daisy is wonderful. ;-; Sadly, there's only one volume left after the one that just came out...16 volumes...it should've hit at least 20...

Agreed. I'm going to miss is so much. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: But I absoulotuely loved how the title page artwork for this volume were recreations of previous scences from a different perspective. The one in the school yard (chapter 72, I think) is probably my favorite in the entire series. :)
scribbledreamer

Postby WorldsTraveler » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I have a question for anyone here who’s read Amatsuki. I’m nearing the end of volume 3 and so far I’m just not enjoying it that much. (Which is odd, because I usually adore virtual reality and folklore themes.) I’m not sure if this is a case of “It starts slow but it gets better” or “If you aren’t enjoying it yet, it's probably just not your cup of tea.” Would anyone who is in the later volumes care to give me an idea of where the story is headed and if I want to stay with it?
WorldsTraveler

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Pinocchio 78.1
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wow really, they've just been separated this whole time without ever getting divorced?

Fairy Tail Ch 408

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Koe no Katachi
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ishida has come a long way. I love his response to Uneo showing up though, haha. Glad they've made a form of peace though.... but.... Ishida you dummy! YOU TOTALLY THREW SHOKO OFF! WRONG QUESTION TO ASK!
UGH. Next time is the final chapter after a 2 year skip! ;~;

Ao no Exercist 62
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: TAKE THAT YOU HORRIBLE DOCTOR! UGH. I really hate his design, so disgusting. Izumo has come along though, finally asking them for help.

CinniScrib

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Liar Game chapters 88-91

As usual, I have no idea how Nao and Akiyama are going to make it out of this one, but I also have faith that they'll pull some breathtakingly amazing scheme out at the last minute. Still, it really looks like Yokoya's got the upper hand....

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CinniScrib » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:12 pm

Bleach 605
I'm confused with continuity.... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wait a minute didn't he have an eyepatch!????

Magi - Sinbad no Bouken Chapter 41

Magi 246

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:06 am

Akagami no Shirayukihime 60
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Poor Ryuu, he's so serious! Yeah! Obi! I really like his garb, nice outfit and mask!

CinniScrib

Postby Cadence » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:52 am

WorldsTraveler wrote:I have a question for anyone here who’s read Amatsuki. I’m nearing the end of volume 3 and so far I’m just not enjoying it that much. (Which is odd, because I usually adore virtual reality and folklore themes.) I’m not sure if this is a case of “It starts slow but it gets better” or “If you aren’t enjoying it yet, it's probably just not your cup of tea.” Would anyone who is in the later volumes care to give me an idea of where the story is headed and if I want to stay with it?

Take my words with a grain of salt because I am grossly biased (Amatsuki is my very favorite manga) but I would say it is worth sticking with for at least a little longer. It definitely starts slow. I didn’t really get into it until the end of the fox demon arc, which is in volume four or something - that is when the ball really gets rolling. The first few volumes are basically introductory material to the main plot of the manga. There is a lot of what feels like inconsequential filler stuff in there that actually comes back (much later - like in the 14+ volumes) to be pretty significant. To be honest, though I personally enjoyed Amatsuki well enough from the beginning (basically I liked Kuchiha and thought Bonten was interesting, so I kept reading) I didn’t actually fall in love with it until volume 5. The story becomes a lot more character and relationship driven after that, and Takayama-sensei’s art improves a ton. In general, though, it stays a pretty slow paced manga though not quite as slow as the first few volumes.

I don't know how much you want to know by "where the story is headed" but at the end of volume 4 a big event occurs that gets the main storyline in the Amatsuki world rolling, and volume 5 goes into an extended flashback arc that expands quite a bit on the folklore aspect and does a lot of world-building. If you are mainly reading it for more of the virtual reality/sci-fi plot line, I will warn you that in the first few volumes that aspect of the story takes back seat to the fantasy side of the story - the only hints about the sci-fi aspect are in Toki's flashbacks and the side-plot with the industry spies and ex-cop guy. Later volumes really expand on that side of the story, though, so I would encourage you to stick with it - chapters 120+ just came out in Japan and had a incredibly and beautifully executed plot twist that completely blew my mind and made me literally scream, so yeah. Again, I am heavily biased but I think it is a great manga and worth reading if you like good - though admittedly unusual - storytelling.

tl;dr I think it is worth reading, but if you still aren't feeling it after volume 5 it is probably not your cup of tea.
Cadence

Postby CinniScrib » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Noragami 46-48
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ooo Hiiro is so vicious and jealous, to trick Yato and Sakura like that.

Fairy Tail 409

Fairy Tail Zero 5

Nanatsu no Taizai Chapter 101-104
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hawk is so small now!! Why!? And Jericho is tagging along! But oh snap poor King!! Now Ban is the Fairy King and King is just Harlequin again.. 8(

CinniScrib

Postby WorldsTraveler » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Cadence wrote:Take my words with a grain of salt because I am grossly biased (Amatsuki is my very favorite manga) but I would say it is worth sticking with for at least a little longer. It definitely starts slow. I didn’t really get into it until the end of the fox demon arc, which is in volume four or something - that is when the ball really gets rolling. The first few volumes are basically introductory material to the main plot of the manga. There is a lot of what feels like inconsequential filler stuff in there that actually comes back (much later - like in the 14+ volumes) to be pretty significant. To be honest, though I personally enjoyed Amatsuki well enough from the beginning (basically I liked Kuchiha and thought Bonten was interesting, so I kept reading) I didn’t actually fall in love with it until volume 5. The story becomes a lot more character and relationship driven after that, and Takayama-sensei’s art improves a ton. In general, though, it stays a pretty slow paced manga though not quite as slow as the first few volumes.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed! I’ll read volumes 4 and 5. I’m glad to give it a second chance now that I have a clear reading goal. If it hasn’t caught me by then, it’s probably just not my style. Thanks again for the detailed post – I appreciate it.
WorldsTraveler

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews