What is your favorite Pink Floyd album?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

What is your favorite Pink Floyd album?

Postby emmatheveritas » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 pm

:poke: My favorite is Animals or Wish You Were Here.
Oh! And one more question...does anyone here like the steampunk band Abeney Park?

Veritas out!
I have music!
Hence, the longest signature on CAA!!
''I have fury! Finally, my entrance with drama!''-Fawful ''Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
''Why...whenever...fury...Fawful just wanted some kingdom conquering...but every time the mustaches come. Always in Fawful's way...alwaysalwaysalways''-Fawful Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
''Darkness cannot cover darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot cover hate; only love can.''-Martin Luther King Jr.
"SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!!"-Benny from The Lego Movie
"A closed door doesn't mean its a locked one"-Anais TAWO Gumball
emmatheveritas

Location: somewhere between my daydreams, the BeanBean Kingdom, and waiting for Heaven. =D

Re: What is your favorite Pink Floyd album?

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Easily Atom Heart Mother, which is probably the band's least favourite, but it sounds like nothing else anyone else has done.

Otherwise, I'd probably pick Meddle, Animals or Wish You Were Here. I admire the greatness of Dark Side of the Moon, but it's never been an album that's "clicked" for me (and I'm a huge Alan Parsons fan).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby yukoxholic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 am

I'd have to say (as well as sound so hipster) Dark Side of the Moon but The Division Bell Comes in close second. Song-wise, Shine on Crazy Diamond (parts 1-9) is fantastic!
yukoxholic

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Division Bell is an interesting choice (sort of their swan song, too). I've thought of Gilmour's On An Island as the second "half" of that album; it's an evolution of the same style.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Xeno » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:07 pm

As cliché as it is, The Wall is probably my favorite album of theirs, but largely in part because I enjoy concept albums. Other than that Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell both rank highly with me. The Delicate Sound of Thunder is my favorite live album of theirs.
Xeno

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Can't decide between "Dark Side" or "Wall", but if I had to pick only one, I'd probably lean towards Wall.
rocklobster

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:37 pm

shooraijin wrote:Division Bell is an interesting choice (sort of their swan song, too). I've thought of Gilmour's On An Island as the second "half" of that album; it's an evolution of the same style.

Division Bell really was as you said their swan song. I think the reason why I love The Division Bell so much is mostly due to nostalgia. I remember my Grandma used to have an old record player in her house and there were so many vinyls she had, most were standards but a few were given to her over the years and I'd play that record all the time, haha. Plus, it was the colored edition (collectible now I think) of the LP. So, it was really cool listening to Wearing the Inside Out and watching the blue record spin. :)
yukoxholic

Postby shooraijin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:50 am

The Delicate Sound of Thunder is my favorite live album of theirs.

My favourite live album has always been their pieces from Ummagumma, which of course the band has all but disowned. As a whole, though, I always found live albums by any band, Floyd included, to be contractual-obligation-quality except for groups like Phish who go absolutely off the leash on tour.

shooraijin

Return to Jam Session