Uplifting metal and hard rock

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Uplifting metal and hard rock

Postby seaglass27 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:48 pm

So, I've made a commitment to only listen to music that is encouraging or helps me to be more Christ-like. Anybody know of any good hard rock or metal songs that meet those requirements?
seaglass27

Postby MrKrillz0r » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Demon Hunter, Oh Sleeper, Haste The Day, Corpus Christi, August Burns Red, Burden of a Day, Underoath, Safemode, Spoken, Hope for the Dying, Life in Your Way and War of Ages might be to your liking then. I got some lot more bands that I could name, but I'll stop here for now. If you like some of these bands I could continue, I'm aware you might know about most of these bands already though. ^^ GL with finding that music you are looking for, I told myself the same thing for a few months ago. If you are into hip hop I would probably be more of a help, so if you ever feel for listening to some hip hop just tell me. ;)
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby armeck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:44 pm

curious, does it have to specifically be Christian? a lot of power metal has lyrics that are influenced by christians but aren't necessarily Christian bands. If you are okay with that you may like Freedom Call. Also Theocracy, they are christian and several of the dudes here are fans of them, They are really freakin awesome
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby AndrewinIce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Skillet- They are amazing...I'll leave it at that.

The Letter Black- I have not hurt but one or two songs, but those two are pretty good.
The Creating of a Story, be it TV show, novel, video game, is process one can not undertake lightly. When you create a story, you had better be prepared for the emotional ties you will have to all characters, as they all come from you.
AndrewinIce

Postby seaglass27 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:11 am

MrKrillz0r (post: 1599742) wrote:Demon Hunter, Oh Sleeper, Haste The Day, Corpus Christi, August Burns Red, Burden of a Day, Underoath, Safemode, Spoken, Hope for the Dying, Life in Your Way and War of Ages might be to your liking then. I got some lot more bands that I could name, but I'll stop here for now. If you like some of these bands I could continue, I'm aware you might know about most of these bands already though. ^^ GL with finding that music you are looking for, I told myself the same thing for a few months ago. If you are into hip hop I would probably be more of a help, so if you ever feel for listening to some hip hop just tell me. ]

I have heard and am a fan of Demon Hunter Oh Sleeper but the rest are foreign to me, so thank you!

armeck (post: 1599837) wrote:curious, does it have to specifically be Christian? a lot of power metal has lyrics that are influenced by christians but aren't necessarily Christian bands. If you are okay with that you may like Freedom Call. Also Theocracy, they are christian and several of the dudes here are fans of them, They are really freakin awesome

No, secular music is fine as long as it encourages me to be Christ-like in some way.

AndrewinIce (post: 1599902) wrote:Skillet- They are amazing...I'll leave it at that.

The Letter Black- I have not hurt but one or two songs, but those two are pretty good.

Already know Skillet and don't care for them that much. The Letter Black is pretty good, so thank you.

For anyone interested, the bands I've discovered on my own are Wolves At The Gate (AMAZING STUFF!), We Came As Romans, Memphis May Fire, Righteous Vendetta, Fit For A King, Icon for Hire and Nine Lashes.
seaglass27

Postby armeck » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:58 pm

We Came as Romans is so beast!!! You might check out bruised not broken, Old Attack Attack, or and then there were none
armeck

Postby Vilo159 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Dream Theater might be a good change of pace. A bit different, more progressive rock/metal, but really great stuff. Most songs tell some kind of story, there aren't too man bad ones.
Vilo159

Postby armeck » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Several people have told me that Dream Theater has some very christiany sounding lyrics. Definitely a lot of talent there. they are pretty awesome
armeck

Postby Vilo159 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Yep, definitely one of my favorite bands. I highly suggest looking into them.
Vilo159

Postby Kaori » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:39 am

Based on the list of bands you like, you might want to check out Emery, Dead Poetic, As Cities Burn, As I Lay Dying, Living Sacrifice, and Fireflight.

If you want metal, on the other hand, here’s a list of some of my personal favorites:

Extol (death/black) – Besides the fact that they are musically excellent and one of the best Christian metal bands in the history of, well, Christian metal, their lyrics are also very uplifting. Listening to them almost always leaves my mind more focused on God than it was when I began.
Extol (thrash)
Extol (progressive hard rock)
My Silent Wake (death/doom metal) – Lyrics are very Christian in their early albums and increasingly less Christian as time goes on; nevertheless, the rays of hope amid the depressive atmosphere in those early albums are exquisite, and listening to those lyrics of crying out to God helped me through some difficult times in my life.
Dalit (death/doom) – They have only released the one self-titled album, but it is one of my favorite death/doom albums. Christian content in the lyrics is not terribly overt, but it is there.
Aletheian (death/progressive) – Some albums are more progressive than others, but there’s plenty of shredding on all of them. The lyrics are definitely Christian in their content and also fairly well-written.
Harmony (power) – Christian power metal band. Generally positive lyrics. I’m not sure what to say about them other than that they are my favorite Christian power metal band.
Darkwater (progressive) – A progressive band with almost all the same members as Harmony. Christian themes in their lyrics are latent rather than overt, but the music is great.
In Vain (progressive/ really a variety of genres) – The musical style varies from song to song, but the band is technically excellent no matter what they do.
Schaliach (death/doom) – Very positive, Christian lyrics. One of the songs on this album is an alternate take on John 9 which I routinely have students listen to in my Bible class; however, the highlight of the album is probably its instrumental tracks.
Absurd^2 (thrash) – A few Extol members put out a 3-song EP under this name. Hard to find but very, very good, and worth listening to for its bass solos alone.
Lengsel (black) – Another side project of some Extol members. Great musical complexity.
Virgin Black (gothic) – Some of the songs are lyrically and theologically a little weird (band members are Christians but not particularly orthodox), but they are generally spiritually-focused, and it’s hard to think of any more beautiful song of praise to Christ than “A Poet’s Tears of Porcelain.â€
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:35 pm

I definitely second Theocracy. The two most hopeful songs I've ever heard are:

"On Eagle's Wings"

"Mirror of Souls"
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MrKrillz0r » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:27 pm

I'd like to third Theocracy. (Although I generally don't listen to power metal)

Also "War of Ages" has a new song out which I just found, it's BEAST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtzuG5KbaiY
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Wolves at the Gate. Seriously their track Dead Man is fantastic beyond word

EDIT: Oops I see you already said Wolves at the Gate already , well I don't care because they are still awesome
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby seaglass27 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for all the sick bands, everyone! Just found a band called For Today.
seaglass27

Re:

Postby MrKrillz0r » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:44 am

Otaku Jordan wrote:Thanks for all the sick bands, everyone! Just found a band called For Today.

For Today are great! Aaand I got some more bands to post!

Bands: The Devil Wears Prada, Life in Your Way, Cry of the Afflicted, Before Their Eyes, Inhale Exhale, Gwen Stacy, Confide, Children 18:3, Anberlin, Mortal Treason, Red, Since October, MyChildren MyBride, Blessed By a Broken Heart, Living Sacrifice and A Plea for Purging.
MrKrillz0r

Re: Uplifting metal and hard rock

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Aww that makes me sad that four of those bands Krillz0r are broken up.

Some other good bands are
The Color Morale (my personal favorite)
Memphis May Fire (not "christian" but the lead singer and most members are christian)
Becoming the Archetype
Sleeping Giant
The Great Commission
Altars
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Tigerchu » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Otaku Jordan wrote:So, I've made a commitment to only listen to music that is encouraging or helps me to be more Christ-like. Anybody know of any good hard rock or metal songs that meet those requirements?

I actually tried something like that and ended up with very little...
You might try A*teens for pop and Skillet for rock. The rest pretty much stinks. Relient K is ok for Rock, but they've got their limits.

Adding more:
Tobymac for rap. He's actually a pretty bad rapper (bad as in not good), but as for Christian, he's Christian. Good rap, it needs to be screamy and spitty for me to like it. Toby kind of "talks at you". It's not that impressive most of the time.
You might try Arc-en 'ciel, Greeen, and Inoue Joe. I think they might be Christian and they're Japanese. Inoue has a language problem sometimes, but his song Closer (also a Naruto opening song:)) has a kind of Christian message to it. A little depressing, but still Christian.
And is it my imagination, but does Linkin' Park have a Christian message to it too, sometimes.
I think a lot of songs can have Christian messages if you use your imagination a bit. Boybands too. Kim possible songs.
Tigerchu

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Tigerchu wrote:
Otaku Jordan wrote:So, I've made a commitment to only listen to music that is encouraging or helps me to be more Christ-like. Anybody know of any good hard rock or metal songs that meet those requirements?

I actually tried something like that and ended up with very little...
You might try A*teens for pop and Skillet for rock. The rest pretty much stinks. Relient K is ok for Rock, but they've got their limits.

Adding more:
Tobymac for rap. He's actually a pretty bad rapper (bad as in not good), but as for Christian, he's Christian. Good rap, it needs to be screamy and spitty for me to like it. Toby kind of "talks at you". It's not that impressive most of the time.
You might try Arc-en 'ciel, Greeen, and Inoue Joe. I think they might be Christian and they're Japanese. Inoue has a language problem sometimes, but his song Closer (also a Naruto opening song:)) has a kind of Christian message to it. A little depressing, but still Christian.
And is it my imagination, but does Linkin' Park have a Christian message to it too, sometimes.
I think a lot of songs can have Christian messages if you use your imagination a bit. Boybands too. Kim possible songs.

I think he might be looking for something a little heavier than relient K
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Vega » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Of Mice & Men is great. Check them out
Vega

Postby Xeno » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Since when was Of Mice & Men considered metal or hard rock? They're more folk rock than anything.
Xeno

Postby Vega » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Well they're classified as metalcore and their harder stuff definetely fits the topic. Considering some of the other bands listed here at least
Vega

Postby Xeno » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm

You're right, I apparently can't keep some band's names straight. I was thinking of a different group.
Xeno

Postby Vega » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Of monsters & men perhaps? XD
Vega

Postby seaglass27 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:46 pm

I didn't know Of Mice and Men was Christian.

And, yeah, I am looking for heavier things than Relient K.
seaglass27

Postby Okami » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm

I've recently come across Ashes Remain, which has been said to be reminiscent of Kutless, Red, etc. Their album, "What I've Become" mixes a blend of "worship" rock with 'hard" rock (those being my terms, not necessarily accurate. XD) The album is really awesome in discussing periods of life that are difficult, but keeping it God-focused. :)
Okami

Postby Vega » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Of Mice & Men arent christian. They're amazing though
Vega

Postby armeck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Vega wrote:Of Mice & Men arent christian. They're amazing though

I think they have a couple Christian band members
armeck

Postby syphon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Alot of the bands mentioned above are good, only ones I can think of at the top of my is impending doom or mychildren mybride.

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.-1 john 4:7
syphon

Postby Okami » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Find Devin William's "Pour it Out" on Spotify. I found him on Pandora, the song Take Control. It's very solid rock (no pun intended! :P) and Biblically-based. :)
Okami

Postby Okami » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Okami wrote:Find Devin William's "Pour it Out" on Spotify. I found him on Pandora, the song Take Control. It's very solid rock (no pun intended! :P) and Biblically-based. :)

EDIT: Now that I've finished the album, there's quite the spectrum. Most of it is hard rock/rock based, but the last song in particular is much more toned down....absolutely gorgeous, regardless.
Okami

Next

Return to Jam Session