Recent albums a bit average?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Recent albums a bit average?

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:43 am

I'm a fan of House of Heroes, Needtobreathe, and Brooke Fraser. I got the House of Heroes (2005) album before I knew anything about them, and I almost instantly fell in love with them. The songs are well-written and catchy and there's a raw edginess to it. I got the The End Is Not The End (2008) album, and loved it too - well written and executed, and crafted around a common theme (war/enemy, right?). Similarly, I loved Needtobreathe's The Heat (2007) - most/almost all songs are really catchy and in their unique style and have a decent faith-based influence, and I loved Brooke Fraser's Albertine (2006) - again, for well written, chilled songs with a faith component.

So just recently I've acquired House of Heroes' Suburba (2010), Needtobreathe's The Outsiders (2009) and Brooke Fraser's Flags (2010)... and I must admit that they don't seem to live up to the previous albums I loved. After a couple of listenings, there's 2-3 catchy likeable ones per album, but the rest don't seem as well written and are a bit average... Even though each of the artists have a growing fanbase and therefore can spend more on the audio production (which is a bit better), the songs themselves don't seem as great. Sometimes songs do take several listening to grow on you, so I'll keep trying, but it doesn't have the instant likeability of the previous albums.

So... complain about recent albums here, I guess.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby That Dude » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 pm

I really can't stand Needtobreathe, and don't know much about Brooke Fraser, but I love House Of Heroes a ton, and while not as good as The End Is Not The End, I really enjoy Suburba, it's a slow burner, there aren't as many stand out tracks, but it grows a lot on you if you give it the chance. I think there are only two songs on the album that I don't like a lot.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Furen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:19 pm

though it wasn't bad "Forget and not Slow Down" by Relient K was really distant from what I'm used to and was more of a "meh" album, and the Hawk Nelson's "Live Life Loud" was average too, some good songs, but mainly average - Though they have another album coming out in a month or so...
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby That Dude » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

"Forget And Not Slow Down" is probably my favorite RK album actually.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Mike Doughty's most recent album, Sad Man Happy Man, came out last year. It reminds me very much of his early (solo) work. Which isn't to say that it's a bad album, but he's improved since Skittish and Rockity Roll, and SMHM kind of feels like reverting. It's good, but disappointing.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:01 pm

I have to say, personally, I didn't like Kilroy Was Here quite as much as Grand Illusion.

Wait...
Ante Bellum

Postby SAVEDbyGRACE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 am

yeah i agree, i have hope for the new p.o.d. cd though whenever it comes out
[SIZE="1"]"But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."[/SIZE]
SAVEDbyGRACE

Return to Jam Session