Is it wrong...

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Is it wrong...

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:51 am

That I like Lady Gaga? :lol: And Katy Perry sometimes to? God must facepalm when he sees me listning to them.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Beau Soir » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:59 am

Hmm... I don't want to say a definite yes or no, but I personally don't listen to either of them because of the sexual innuendo in their lyrics.

Maybe ask yourself why you're wondering if it's "wrong" or not in the first place? There must be something making you doubt. Match it up to the Bible, too.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:05 am

I won't get into my views on sexuality here because you would want to smack me I'm sure and this issue has already been covered in another thread, I'm really just curious to know if I'm the only one who listens to them. I know their music is crap, don't get me wrong, but its terribly catchy and often gets stuck in my head. Trust me though, if God sends me to hell, it's going to be because I'd done worse things then listen to these two I'm sure.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 am

Everybody knows Jesus is too hip for pop music.

Nah you're not going to hell because of something you listen to.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Beau Soir » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:12 am

TopazRaven (post: 1447189) wrote:I won't get into my views on sexuality here because you would want to smack me I'm sure and this issue has already been covered in another thread, I'm really just curious to know if I'm the only one who listens to them. I know their music is crap, don't get me wrong, but its terribly catchy and often gets stuck in my head. Trust me though, if God sends me to hell, it's going to be because I'd done worse things then listen to these two I'm sure.
Nah, I wouldn't smack you. I have a brother who is not only an atheist, but he often puts down the rest of our family about our faith. I can deal, lol.

I have plenty of Christian friends who like their music. It is, I will admit, terribly catchy, but with catchy music, I find myself singing along. And personally I'd just rather not sing about "disco sticks." XD

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:13 am

Everybody knows Jesus is too hip for pop music.

Nah you're not going to hell because of something you listen to.

Jesus is to hip for anything us silly humans could come up with. Yeah, Jesus is that awesome. The awesomest of the awesome in fact! No one can be more awesome then Jesus!

Good to know. Like I said. I'm a sinner just like everyone else. Perhaps more so. 0.o I curse really badly even though I try not to, I lie, I listen to and watch things I shouldn't sometimes, I think about things I shouldn't, I have some beliefs that differ from other Christians...blah, blah, blah. I thank God that He has so much patiance for weirdos like me.

Beau Soir (post: 1447193) wrote:Nah, I wouldn't smack you. I have a brother who is not only an atheist, but he often puts down the rest of our family about our faith. I can deal, lol.

I have plenty of Christian friends who like their music. It is, I will admit, terribly catchy, but with catchy music, I find myself singing along. And personally I'd just rather not sing about "disco sticks." XD

LOL. I know what you mean. I think my favorite song by her is Alejandro or whatever the heck it's called. I like Just Dance and Monster to. Another words, I'm terrible. Luckily for me, I often don't sing out loud. xD Is it sad that for awhile there I didn't even know what she meant by 'disco sticks' in that one song? I mean seriously...weird metaphor.

TopazRaven

Postby Hiryu » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 am

Actually, did you know that both have christian backgrounds? Katy Perry is the daughter of a pastor in Santa Barbara,Calfornia and sung in her parent's ministry at a young age. Lady Gaga (AKA Stefani Germanotta) attended Covenant of the Sacred heart, a private Roman Catholic school in Manhattan. (Maybe that didn't help...)

I can't comment on the morality of their lyrics though. I can say that it takes a lot of replays to get brainwashed, not to mention bad influences and enviroment. Just because you listen to a song that has cussing in it doesn't mean you'll go to hell. Listening to such music has been linked to bad behavior though.
Hiryu

Postby Furen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:44 am

Because of Katy Perry openly admitting that she sold herself to the devil, I don't personally have much respect (if any) for her (Plus some of the titles of her songs CoughLinkCough HacklinkCough Pardon my cough session). I don't know much about Lady Gaga.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:52 am

Furen (post: 1447213) wrote:Because of Katy Perry openly admitting that she sold herself to the devil, I don't personally have much respect (if any) for her (Plus some of the titles of her songs CoughLinkCough HacklinkCough Pardon my cough session).

Sounds like she be trollin'.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:55 am

I definitly see where your both coming from. Whoa, Katy Perry actually said that? See, I don't actually follow most singers lives and what not, I just listen to their music. If I ever listened to any band/singer on replay I admit it'd probably be Red, Skillet, BarlowGirl, Linkin Park or Three Days Grace as I never get tired of hearing them. I did know Lady Gaga and Katy Perry do have Christian backgrounds though. Apparantly Katy Perry even tried to get into Christian music under her birth name Katy Hudson when she was a teenager. Just so we're clear to, I'm not saying their songs should be taken as life lessons and what not. If we all acted like the people in their songs the world would be in really sad shape right now.

TopazRaven

Postby That Dude » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:22 pm

You won't go to hell for the music that you listen to...But you do need to be careful about how it's effecting you. No matter how much one would want to deny it, lyrics do effect your thoughts and behavior...So I'd say pray about it and if you feel like you shouldn't listen to them, don't, and if you feel like God is saying it isn't a big deal, than it isn't a big deal to listen to them.

I used to listen to barely any non-christian music, but the closer I've grown to Christ, the more and more I'm ok with listening to secular music, because he's given me discernment about what I'm listening to and the ability to think through what the lyricists are trying to say.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Fact: Everybody has different tastes.

Fact: Everybody has different levels of what they can and cannot handle, content-wise.

So no, it's not "wrong," per se, for you to listen to either of them. XD My ears find their music particularly grating, but that is just my own ears. XD Fact: Everybody's ears are different. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooo.

Lol really though, I don't see it as an issue. It doesn't really change my attitude on sexuality or anything. She's catchy and a talented singer (in terms of technical aspects, etc).

Ra ra ra-a-a-ahh! Roma-roma-ma-ah! Lolz
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks guys. I honestly don't feel all that bad for listening to it which is why I was just kind of wondering. The songs don't make me wanna go out and take drugs or 'ride a dicso stick' or something.

Edit: Okay...I probably went a little to far with that one. xD My apologies.

TopazRaven

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:00 pm

I don't like either one of them, but as a fan of music in general I try to at least see why other people do. As far as a musician's message is concerned, so long as you don't let it influence you, just enjoy it if you think it sounds good. For example, I really like Nine Inch Nails, and yet I play rhythm guitar in my church's worship band and that gives me great joy.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:32 am

I don't think it's any more wrong than listening to Madonna, who sadly inspired this kind of trash. Madonna ruined pop music forever. And then the New Kids came along. Yeah, you can see why I swore off pop music forever.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby armeck » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:19 am

i like katty perry's song firework XD i pretty much hate everything else from them two.
i listen to blink 182. which gets me frowned upon sometimes, and i can understand that, but the intent behind the music doesn't bother me at all, they are just "offsetting life" (as tom stated in an angels and airwaves song) so maybe you should think about why they are singing the lyrics they sing...
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:01 am

Hm, all good points. Indeed, pop music is pretty terrible these days though.

TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:28 am

I love Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. But I'm more of a mood-listener than a lyric-listener. I'll generally like a song if I like the tone of it, because it can be hard for me to hear the words.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:03 am

I like the tone of music and such to, the difference though is I do tend to listen to the lyrcis, I after all, like to know what exactly it is that I'm hearing. xD

TopazRaven

Postby MxCake » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:25 pm

i agree with atria.if its a fresh and funky beat why not jam to it ya feel me? XD lol but really the lyrics are nothing and we hear them in movies and tv anyways theres not much of an escape of it i guess you could live in a rock your whole life but i might be wrong and i wont know till i die and Gods like "michael your wrong" and ill be like "im sorry" and hell be like "its ok i love you anyways" lol so yea XD
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:10 pm

:lol: That was amazing. xD I pretty much agree though. When I first got back into Christianty I was flipping out because some websites where saying good little Christians don't watch TV or listen to music or go to movies or read books other then the Bible or that aren't religious in some way, and...etc. You get it. xD I'm way to selfish for my own good I know.

TopazRaven

Return to Jam Session