First band you ever got into

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

First band you ever got into

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 am

How far back did you get into music? Did you buy any CD's or whatever when you were a kid? If so, what was the first band you remember listening to?
I'll start with mine. I believe it was Huey Lewis. This was before Back to the Future[/i], as the first song I heard was "The Heart of Rock n Roll", not "Power of Love".
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:55 am

I didn't own any cds or tapes, but my parent did. My mom says that whenever I had the choice, I would put in The Monkees tape and sing and dance along. And I can remember that... sorta. I mean, it was in kindergarten and earlier.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:47 pm

The first band I really got into on my own was Linkin Park, believe it or not. It all started when I was ten, when my brother borrowed their Hybrid Theory CD (later, he bought his own copy). I resisted it for a long time, but my brother would always put it on when we were playing LEGOs (yeah, lol), and eventually I caved in and had to admit that I liked it too. They're still my favorite band today.

I suppose, before I really accepted LP, I was pretty into Nikki Leonti, a Canadian Christian hip-hop sort of singer, and I still like her for the nostalgia. (I was given her CD for my eleventh birthday.)

Even further back, my mom had a cassette tape of Michael Card's album Scandalon, which I listened to incessantly, and still love. "Scandalon" and "The Lamb is a Lion" ftw!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Midori » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:07 pm

The first band I got into was Ocarina. I was so happy listening to it with a portable cassette player...with headphones!

The next band I got really into was Orbital. That was in the era of CDs though.
Midori

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:34 pm

The Starting Line. When I was in the 8th grade, my brother gave me a sampler disc from a New Found Glory album he had, and my favorite song on it was The Starting Line's "Best of Me." Later, he burned me a copy of their full-length album from Drive Thru records, "Say it Like You Mean It," and I listened to it so many times. XD Shortly following The Starting Line was The Early November, another Drive Thru band, and also bands like Jimmy Eat World and Mae. The rest is pretty much history. XD

Before that, the musician I remember hearing earliest was Billy Joel when I was three or four-ish. Also, I was introduced to MxPx when I was six or seven. XD But I didn't really get into listening to music as a hobby until I was in middle school. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby BlueDiamonds » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:51 pm

It was Switchfoot. I found them from an AMV for Naruto (Back when it was decent) around sixth grade. They were the first album I ever bought. Before that it was Avril because my mom bought her cd and played the song mobile because we moved a lot. It was the family "song" of sorts. Then it was Three Days Grace when mom bought one of those Now Cds. I adored I Hate Everything About You, but mom detested the song. I was about 7 at the time.
Ipod Shuffle: The Letter Black: "Hanging On."
BlueDiamonds

Postby Okami » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:18 pm

The first few songs I remember ever really getting into were Linkin Park's "In The End" (2001), Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" (2001), P!nk's "Just Like a Pill" (2002), and Evanescence's "Bring Me to Life" (2003)

My first two Christian songs were Relient K's "Pressing On" and dc Talk's "Jesus Freak" sometime between 2003 and 2004. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby armeck » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:55 pm

DC talk - Intermission
was the first cd i ever owned, it played it ALL the time for about 2 years lol
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:53 am

I didn't get into music till after high school... I just didn't care for music much cause nothing was really my thing. Till I discovered metal :D First band I ever got into were Blind Guardian and Nightwish. I got into those at about the same time. From those two I found others that were similar and just branched off from there. Blind Guradian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, Night at the Opera and Nightwish's Once were the first CDs I ever owned. Got all 3 for a birthday present or something.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby TWWK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:02 am

Hmm...can't entirely remember...but maybe Billy Joel? I certainly remember connecting with his music and him probably being the first musician I cared enough about to read about on the Internet. "Uptown Girl" and "River of Dreams" were obsessions of my youth, as was pretty much the entire third greatest hits CD.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby That Dude » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Well...Probably Brian Duncan, Steve Camp and Petra when I was super young...Then Michael W Smith and Audio Adrenaline...

But the band that pretty much opened my doors for the love of music was....
MxPx.
They were the ones that really got me into music more than any other.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:33 am

Back in the early days, it would have been DC Talk's Free at Last. That was my brother's CD that we used to listen to a lot. I wasn't heaps into music at that stage, and it really only started at the start of high school, when I was exposed to local (Christian) bands Seraphs Coal and Lessie Does... then the latter lead singer became my bass teacher and my brother's guitar teacher.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby armeck » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1443182) wrote:I didn't get into music till after high school...

i don't know how i would have survived thus far into high school without music lol
armeck

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 pm

I didn't know there was actual good music out there. 99.9% stuff I like never gets radio play and don't know anyone IRL who likes the stuff I do. So I just found everything on my own and pretty much by accident. Now I'm a music freak :D

And in regards to my other post, I actually made a mistake. Evanescence was the first band I got into. Fallen was the first album I ever bought. Forgot about that one. For the longest time though, that was my only album :P
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby armeck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:03 am

you like power/prog metal right? i have only met one person irl that likes that kind of music (besides me) and he is a random dude i met once that i will probably never see again... some of my friends like dragonforce, but they aren't really power metal fans, they just like the one band
armeck

Postby Winry » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Linkin Park was probably the first band I really got into.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Beau Soir » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:51 am

Linkin Park for me as well. Also, Evanescence.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Blacklight » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Why is it everyone seems to have stuck with their original tastes? I'll be the odd one out, then.

As a kid, I listened to ZoeGirl, and later on, I couldn't stand the sound. Like now. When I first got into metal, more specifically, metalcore, my favorite band was Demon hunter. I was about 12 or 13 at the time, and I was starting to get into more stuff that my mom wouldn't have liked to listen to (way too loud for her tastes). Later, I was exploring even more rock, and such, and such, and etc...
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:41 pm

I was raised on a healthy supply of oldies/classic rock, which more or less set me down the musical paths I tread today. The first band I remember claiming as my favorite was The Beach Boys, and Little Deuce Coupe was the first album I ever owned (well, that and the Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? album) but I think that had more to do with the fact that they were one of the first artists whose name I could easily remember. The Beatles were the first band I actually got serious about listening to.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Back in the early days - DC Talk, then Seraph's Coal and after leaving highschool - P.O.D.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Nanao » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:48 pm

there's been music playing in the house as long as i can remember. the first band that i really got into was Within Temptation shortly followed by Evanescence. there are still some tapes lurking around the house i think, but i mostly remember CDs.
Nanao

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Technically, I guess I could say my mom listening to FFH and Point of Grace (mainly the former) got me into music in general. Other than that I didn't really care much about music until my friends introduced me to Falling Up/Skillet/Kutless/Thousand Foot Krutch/Switchfoot (all at once, basically). I credit Falling Up (specifically the song "Broken Heart") with getting me into rock and Christian music. After that, it was mostly Demon Hunter that got me into metal. Lastly, I would have to say it was probably Linkin Park that got me interested in any secular music.

The first CD I ever bought for myself was Relient K's MMHMM. The first metal album for me was Define the Great Line from Underoath.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Furen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I guess FFH, but what got me into listening in general was Relient K
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Blacklight » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Evanescence was possibly my first secular band, now that I think of it... (i.e. first that i started liking.)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:27 pm

5 Iron Frenzy

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby SAVEDbyGRACE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:12 am

kj-52 (not a *band* but whatevs)
[SIZE="1"]"But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."[/SIZE]
SAVEDbyGRACE

Return to Jam Session