CAA's Guitar Center: Discussion and Help For All Players

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby S.M.O.G. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm thinking I need a new amp more than pedals. I may have found a good deal on a peavey valveking 112 ($300). Does anyone have any experiance with them, and could I get something better for the money?
S.M.O.G.

Postby Strafe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Yeah. A good amp is probably a better idea. Its a really big part in your tone.

Peavey Valvekings seem decent, but...

Though I can't recommend it enough, My Vox AC15C1 is probably one of the best value amps out there today. I may pickup a boutique amp down the line, but this combo is just so sweet. Its $600 and I highly, highly recommend that you check it out. Beat an $1800 Mesa Boogie IMO, but that's just my preference.

Also my friend picked up a Peavey Vypyr tube hybrid which sounds pretty sweet (Though my Vox is alot sweeter.)

Of course, those are my recommendations for amps you could try at a guitar shop. Try EVERYTHING within your budget to see what's awesome.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby S.M.O.G. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:47 pm

I looked at that, but it doesn't have an FX loop, does it? I use enough pedals that's gonna be a deal breaker for me. Plus I'm looking at a VK on Craigslist at half the price, which is also an issue of me.
S.M.O.G.

Postby Strafe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Whatever works for you, and that is a pretty good deal, but... do try it out. You may be convinced that its worth the sans effects loop. Don't ever settle for any less than what you like best.

I dunno about effects loops, since I already have everything in a good order on my board. I don't need anything going after my amp's preamp, so I have it all covered. I figure that unless you have alot of the silly effects, its not really worth having an effects loop.

Either way...

I"M PICKING UP MY PRS TOMORRROOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
Strafe

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:13 am

I like using chouros and delay, don't those sound best in the loop? And I don't have any crazy effects now, but I'd like to, so I think the loop would be a good idea.

If I decide to go without the loop, there are a few more options. My local shop will give me a good deal on a Kustom Defender, has anyone ever used that?
S.M.O.G.

Postby Strafe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Ok. I'm leaving for the shop in 30 minutes... I'm feeling giddy. heheh...

Chorus and delay sound just fine before the preamp. In fact, I really like delay before my amp's preamp because of the way the decaying repeats clean up as it gets quieter. Its a cool, sound.

The Kustom looks alright I guess. Sure. But really. If no effects loop, Vox AC15C1. Can't beat it. Srsly. for $600 its a steal. So much so that I will probably only either buy a Matchless or Reinhardt amp next... or maybe one of those handwired Voxes. $2000 and up.

This is because 50 watts is ALOT of sound. 15 watts is alot of sound. My AC15 shakes the house at 40% master volume. The Kustom won't be able to be cranked up, and then it'll sound bad. Unless you're playing large gigs every week, low wattage ftw.
Strafe

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Well, if I want the Valveking, I'll only be able to get it on monday, and I'm not quite sure if I have to budget for the Vox, but I'll defenetly check it out.

On a semi related note, the local college is selling use laptops for about $200, my parents each got one and I'm looking at that too. I'm dealing with way too many limited time offers at once...

Edit: How much distortion can that Vox get? I need something versitile, since I play a little bit of everything, but mostly heavier stuff, and I know Vox isn't known for high gain. How well would it work putting my distortion pedal in front of it for that stuff?
S.M.O.G.

Postby Strafe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS HERE ITS HERE ITS HERE ITS HEREEEE!!!!!

So after 2 years of saving, and 4 months of waiting, everything has been redeemed, and in exchange for that time, I now am the proud owner of a PRS Custom 24. After playing it for 7 hours almost straight except to eat, from 6pm to 1am, when my Mom told me to stop, I have decided that this is the best guitar in the world. Ever.

EVER.

EVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

So without further ado, pics:

Case

Opened. (Cue Angel's Chorus)

On top of Case.

Posing with the Vox.

Posing with me.

In short. The best guitar in the world. In every way possible. SO PRETTY. THE TONE IS OUT OF THIS WORLD, AND IT FEELS PERFECT.

I have always played 9s on my strat, and kept it really slinky. The PRS came with 10s, and was decidedly more tense. But playing it, the PRS' tension just feels... right. Now my Strat feels way too soft. Actually, I tried adjusting the action down on the PRS to make it slinkier, but the tone suffered slightly, and it felt too loose, so I put it back, and then actually raised the action a little bit more to make it harder to bend, and more tense.

Now the tone is RIDICULOUS, and the strings feel great. I don't think I can ever go back to 9s now. The increased difficulty in bending just makes the bends sound more intense because the sound is more focused.

So... Higher action: Good?

That's a first if I ever heard it. Man. I love this guitar.

And I guess to bring it all together, I named it Evangeline, which means gospel/ good news. A reminder as to why I got the guitar in the first place, to honor the Lord and preach the gospel, through my life, and hopefully, through my music. No matter how incredible it is, This guitar is only one of the ways I hope to live it out.

---

Now. @S.M.O.G.

With humbuckers, the AC15 has a very nice classic rock rhythm/ light lead gain. Very complex and dirty, but probably not enough for you. Solution: Boost pedal, or cascade the amp OD with a pedal. The amp does take pedals very well. Actually, I get this awesome van halenish marshally brown sound when I turn on the OCD and crank up the amp at the same time. Shreds like nobody's business. The Vox can get heavy and be good at it too, and the Vox's clean sounds are probably the best out of... every clean sound ever.

Butttt. Maybe you won't like it. I'm a sort of Alternative/Indie/Blues guy. I write grungey and heavy songs too, and my solos use some shred, but most of my songwriting stuff sort of stays pretty chill on the massive gain. I use alot of cleans, and alot of classic/ vintage sounding crunch, so Vox is my perfect amp. Maybe the valveking or Kustom will suit you better.
Strafe

Postby Strafe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Alrighty. First Vid with the guitar. A Cover of the Strokes' New Single, Under Cover of Darkness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbhBvYskLfs
Strafe

Postby kairo14 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

S.M.O.G. (post: 1456977) wrote:I like using chouros and delay, don't those sound best in the loop? And I don't have any crazy effects now, but I'd like to, so I think the loop would be a good idea.

If I decide to go without the loop, there are a few more options. My local shop will give me a good deal on a Kustom Defender, has anyone ever used that?

If you love chorus then the Roland JC-120 or 90 is what you want.

For delay i use my rack mount GP-100, but those aren't made anymore.

I know the Edge from U2 uses a lot of vintage Vox 2X12 AV30's: when he records he is probably at least two amps at the same time. TC electronics makes a digital pedal with the same type of delay, which is an 80's analog korg which you cant find anymore.

Anyway, with the JC-120, it has a big open clean sound and the best chorus of all time. I found with a good compressor and decent overdirve unit that it could sound decently rocky: like with a ibenaz tubescreamer or something.
ImageImage
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]www.osheadavis.com / "MOES: Go, and scroll no more." [/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Dragonballz rocks, and, Jesus Saves / Naruto does multi-clone no jutsu,, but,, Jesus gives new-birth no jutsu[/SIZE][/font]
kairo14

Postby Syreth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 am

Not really on topic, but I just wanted to chime in and announce that I'm using my first effects pedal in more than 10 years of guitar playing. Nothing special - just a digitech rp 155. I can play with that looper for hours. lol. That is all.
Syreth

Postby TGJesusfreak » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:55 pm

wow... this thread needs a wake-me-up. XD!

so to wake it up I have some news (could be bad news depending in your perspective). I finally am able to record and put videos on youtube! I posted a cover to Isee the Light from Disney' tangled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VfuEC1rxQ&feature=email&email=comment_received

I transcribed most of the song myself by ear. Finger Picking is quite hard for me. So I'm a bit mediocre... I could probably record a better version later. I also screwed up a few times... which is obvious by the 'twank' noise you hear a few times. XDD
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Strafe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah this thred be ded.

But great job on that cover. Nice and clean finger picking, especially the right hand. Its alot more defined than what I can do.

Well I was hesitating to post these since the thread was dead, but I guess if I'm not bumping it, here's a new demo of a new song I wrote and some vids from my last gig.

Sunrise (Demo)

Roman Candles (Live)

Sunrise (Live)

The demo is what it is, but the gig is pretty funny. So this is the drummer and bassist from my jazz combo that I'm in. The jazz combo was playing a gig, and the pianist goes. Hey Matt, why don't you play some of your stuff to fill out the set. We had a 40 minute set and not enough jazz charts ready, so I was like sure. As is typical, we never got to rehearse my stuff, I just gave Jordan (Bass) the chord sheet and was like good luck, and told Elliot (Drums) to follow along. So this was the first time that we ever played the song together. ever. Sounds pretty good for a first time, doesn't it? Maybe we rushed alot both times, but aighty. And Elliot forgot the cutoff... oh well.
Strafe

Postby TGJesusfreak » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Strafe (post: 1471709) wrote:Well I was hesitating to post these since the thread was dead, but I guess if I'm not bumping it, here's a new demo of a new song I wrote and some vids from my last gig.

Sunrise (Demo)

Roman Candles (Live)

Sunrise (Live)

The demo is what it is, but the gig is pretty funny. So this is the drummer and bassist from my jazz combo that I'm in. The jazz combo was playing a gig, and the pianist goes. Hey Matt, why don't you play some of your stuff to fill out the set. We had a 40 minute set and not enough jazz charts ready, so I was like sure. As is typical, we never got to rehearse my stuff, I just gave Jordan (Bass) the chord sheet and was like good luck, and told Elliot (Drums) to follow along. So this was the first time that we ever played the song together. ever. Sounds pretty good for a first time, doesn't it? Maybe we rushed alot both times, but aighty. And Elliot forgot the cutoff... oh well.

Dude! Youre guitar playing is awesome! XD! I have a lot to work on myself, but I at least i have some finger picking down. =P That's pretty much all I got right now. I hope I can be as good as you on the guitar dude. Youre band is awesome too =P

strafe wrote:But great job on that cover. Nice and clean finger picking, especially the right hand. Its alot more defined than what I can do.

Thanks. I think I could do better even now. my chord shapes were off a bit at first but I think I can nail it in the next week. If I do maybe I'll post it up on youtube again... idk for sure yet though =P

I'm thinking of posting me playing Layla acoutic by eric clapton... but I fear the solo in the middle... the smell of epic fail might be in the air. lol

To help start this thread up, What is a solo you guys fear playing most?
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Rockin' Delirious Style

Postby kairo14 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 pm

I attempted to record two cover songs from Delirious called:
My Glorious
God's Romance

I wanted to see how rockin my BadCat amp could sound. On base rhythm guitar tracks it is all amp no effects. I had a dude record a basic drum tract to the song. The rest is just me and the Gibson Nighthawk and my BadCat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glR6SIw304

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezhvdowgktw&feature=related
ImageImage
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]www.osheadavis.com / "MOES: Go, and scroll no more." [/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Dragonballz rocks, and, Jesus Saves / Naruto does multi-clone no jutsu,, but,, Jesus gives new-birth no jutsu[/SIZE][/font]
kairo14

Postby Syreth » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Sounds pretty rockin if you asking me. Whoever recorded those tracks made them sound nice and sharp too. Nice work!
Syreth

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 pm

kairo14 (post: 1472675) wrote:I attempted to record two cover songs from Delirious called:
My Glorious
God's Romance

I wanted to see how rockin my BadCat amp could sound. On base rhythm guitar tracks it is all amp no effects. I had a dude record a basic drum tract to the song. The rest is just me and the Gibson Nighthawk and my BadCat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glR6SIw304

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezhvdowgktw&feature=related

That sounded like a fairly decent recording - and nice tone on the guitar. You just need to add some bass to it... (My Glorious was one of the first few songs I learnt on the bass.) Nicely done.

I've had RSI/tendinitis in my arm the last few months, which meant I had to stop playing for those months, which was a bit sucky. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up soon again with church bands..
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby kairo14 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Warrior4Christ (post: 1474503) wrote:That sounded like a fairly decent recording - and nice tone on the guitar. You just need to add some bass to it... (My Glorious was one of the first few songs I learnt on the bass.) Nicely done.

I've had RSI/tendinitis in my arm the last few months, which meant I had to stop playing for those months, which was a bit sucky. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up soon again with church bands..

Thanks, the bass part of My Glorious is rockin'. and is hard to play exactly how delirious does it. Helpfully, my bro and record a bass part to it soon.
ImageImage
kairo14

Postby Strafe » Fri May 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah. That is pretty sick. but maybe check the tuning on the G string on My Glorious. Sounded a touch flat on the upper power chords with the tonic on the 5th string. But it somehow works itself out towards the end... ghost tuning the strings for you. But killer tone and and mixing as usual, with some pretty tight lead lines.

The Antlers' New Album is coming out next week and I thought it would be cool to cover one of the songs off of it. Quick 30 minute arrangement. I need some singing lessons.

Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out

And another gear thought. I was thinking about picking up a $200 Les Paul Junior by Xaviere since it looks like a really great value for the price tonewise, and its something I won't mind carrying around and getting banged up. I'd just run that straight into my AC15 to get that killer rock and roll grind and do some raw sets with just a drummer and me. Sort of White Stripes Stripped down. Maybe mess around with the wiring for fun. (This is another one of those Ideas where I get excited until my Dad's like. no. Don't waste your money. You'll hate a korean made guitar.)
Strafe

Postby Syreth » Sat May 07, 2011 8:47 am

(This is another one of those Ideas where I get excited until my Dad's like. no. Don't waste your money. You'll hate a korean made guitar.)

Just curious - is your dad a songwriter or something?
Syreth

Postby Strafe » Sat May 07, 2011 9:36 am

My Dad... Is like one of my heroes. seriously. He's the pastor that leads worship for the church, and generally directs the music. He might not be the greatest guitarist, but he has a great singing voice... that I hope was passed down genetically. He writes songs for the church.

Here he is covering the Killers' Human, and John Mark McMillan's Skeleton Bones for the church concerts. He's singing lead for both songs.

Human
Skeleton Bones

But what I admire most about him is the heart of worship that he has. He will not compromise worship no matter what, even if that means kicking off talented musicians who try to show off in the worship band. He even kicks himself off when he feels that he's beginning to lose fire. Which is why I'll probably never lead worship at our church. All I ever want to do is show off.
Strafe

Postby Syreth » Wed May 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Nice pipes. That's quite a production, indeed. It's pretty cool that he's got a good heart for worship. In that setting, there's probably a real danger of losing focus.
Syreth

Postby kairo14 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Strafe (post: 1477214) wrote:Yeah. That is pretty sick. but maybe check the tuning on the G string on My Glorious. Sounded a touch flat on the upper power chords with the tonic on the 5th string. But it somehow works itself out towards the end... ghost tuning the strings for you. But killer tone and and mixing as usual, with some pretty tight lead lines.

The Antlers' New Album is coming out next week and I thought it would be cool to cover one of the songs off of it. Quick 30 minute arrangement. I need some singing lessons.

Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out

And another gear thought. I was thinking about picking up a $200 Les Paul Junior by Xaviere since it looks like a really great value for the price tonewise, and its something I won't mind carrying around and getting banged up. I'd just run that straight into my AC15 to get that killer rock and roll grind and do some raw sets with just a drummer and me. Sort of White Stripes Stripped down. Maybe mess around with the wiring for fun. (This is another one of those Ideas where I get excited until my Dad's like. no. Don't waste your money. You'll hate a korean made guitar.)

Yea, that G string on the gibsons is killer. The heavily bent headstock that gives gibson its sustain makes the tuning hard. I even put high in tuners in, stretched the strings and graphite in the nuts and its still hard to keep tune at times, but much better from when bought it.

The hardest part was on "God's Romance" on the verse. Its all A string harmonic's all the way down the string: harmonics that just dont come out naturally. I had to put a tone of fuzz and effects to get them to come out to record it. I'm not sure where Stu-G got that from, but it works.

Nice acoustic guitar work. I will tell you a tip for recording that was told to me by a studio engineer who records bands like Jars of Clay. He said "you will not master recording until yo master the art of compression." I am still trying to figure that out myself but gladly pass it on to you.

for a guitar I love my night hawk and recommend it to anyone. There are gibson versions and cheaper epiphone version if you need to go that direction.

-oshea
ImageImage
kairo14

Postby Syreth » Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi guys. I recently messed around on my guitar for fifteen minutes, doing completely random, ad-lib riffs, and edited it down to about five minutes. Then I wrote a drum track to it in fruity loops. Here it is, if you're interested.
Syreth

Postby Sapphy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 am

Hey guys! Long time no see... I've got a lot to catch up on O.o

So, I think I'm going to try to learn electric guitar (as in, practice a ton like I should be doing), after I go through this thread and find out what it was I needed to learn first --I swear someone told me and I forgot.

Also, I got a Peavey Vyper 60W tube amp. But I don't know how to fix the settings so it sounds right. I know it mainly depends on what you want it to sound like, but the problem is I have no idea... what's a good sound to start working with? I mean, where are all the dials and such supposed to be?
Sapphy

Postby Sapphy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1454369) wrote:I think this thread needs more pics.

So whether you eat or drink (or break guitar strings) or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. -- 1 Cor 10:31

I love that! :D I knew there was a reason I saved my old guitar strings last time I changed them.

Also: I know it's terribly late, but... Beautiful guitar, Matt! :D Glad you finally got it.
Sapphy

Postby Strafe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Hey, thanks. Its still the best guitar I've ever played, and I've played quite a few nice ones I think.

Now, about the peavey. It's a really complex amp with tons and tons of modeling capability and versatility. My friend got one recently as well. For this amp, I recommend putting the low mid and high controls, and both gain controls straight up at 12 o clock whenever you choose an amp model. Start by turning the amp knob all the way to the right and start at classic. Its probably the cleanest amp model, maybe modeling a fender amp. Turn the effects and stompboxes off to start, and you can fiddle them later. What you want to find first is the best amp sound. So choose an amp model. Once you find your favorite, then adjust the gain, low, mid, and high knobs to your liking. That's just a general rule of thumb. I think alot of it is just about sitting down and trying every possible combination to see what you like.
Strafe

Postby Sapphy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Alright, thanks. I'll have to try it.
Sapphy

Postby Sapphy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:57 am

*pokes thread*

"Is she dead?"
"No!"

*cough*
Um, yes.

So, if anyone else still posts here... =P I was just wondering. What are some good things to practice? (either electric or acoustic; doesn't matter. Bass would work too but I don't have one so it'd be hard to practice :P)
I usually just play songs I know, but I pick up on chords fast so I need something new to work on.
Sapphy

Postby kairo14 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, I finally finished recording the rest of My Glorious so here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgNi72cqi3s&feature=channel_video_title

If you want to get better at playing I would recommend picking out the chords and lead from the Delirious Glo album. that alone was the single greatest skill boost in all years of playing. I had my guitar teacher at the time to pick out the parts so that I knew I was playing them correctly.
ImageImage
kairo14

Previous Next

Return to Jam Session