The Podcast Thread

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

The Podcast Thread

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:57 am

If you're anything like me, you love the beautiful thing that is the podcast. Here you can post what podcast(s) you are currently listening to, talk about your favorite podcasts, recommend good ones, or promote your own.

Currently listening to:

ESPN Soccernet Podcast
Italian Football Fancast
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:07 pm

I rather like The Gearheart, a free audio book distributed as a weekly podcast performed by the author and his wife. It's a pseudo steam / diesel punk fantasy, and is quite entertaining.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1360995) wrote:I rather like The Gearheart, a free audio book distributed as a weekly podcast performed by the author and his wife. It's a pseudo steam / diesel punk fantasy, and is quite entertaining.

Hmm...this sounds very cool. Something to get me through the tedious parts of the day. I'm checking it out now.

BTW...don't tell anyone else about those penguins...:sweat:
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ich1990 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:31 pm

I have been slowly going through Existentialism in Literature and Film, a recording of Hubert Dreyfus' philosophy 7 class at Berkeley, and have been having an awesome time.

The instructor is lucid, relevant, and humorous, and the subject matter is incredibly fascinating. I found his analysis of Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling to be particularly interesting, especially when he applied Kierkegaardian thought to the film The Third Man. This course easily increased my enjoyment of both the book and the movie threefold. I wouldn't say he has quite got Kierkegaard completely figured out, but then again, who does?

Also, this single podcast has sent me into one of the deepest crisis of philosophy I have ever had; the clash of Hebrew and Greek, of faith and reason. It has forced me to try to determine which side is best supported theologically, and how best one can go about synthesizing the two and avoiding the pitfalls of both. Essentially, Dreyfus started a fight between Schaeffer and Kierkegaard and left them warring inside my mind.

I stopped when the lectures got to The Brothers Karamazov since I haven't read that yet, but I fully intend to continue this series once I have. I mean, what better way to spend your work commute than by suffering existential crises?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:06 am

So I checked out The Gearheart, and it's really cool. Only listened to part of the first chapter (fell asleep whilst listening), but I already dig it a lot.

Currently Listening to:

Anime News Network ANNCast
The Football Ramble

The main host of ANNCast seems kind of a tool, but it's pretty informative nonetheless. I think that any fan interested in the recent bursting of the North American anime market bubble should listen to the two most recent episodes. In the ep from 2 weeks ago, Mr. Kimes from Geneon USA chronicles the rise and fall of his former company in detail, and, in last week's, the CEO of rightstuff Int. and of Nozomi Entertainment talks about the changes his companies have had to endure over the past few years, i.e. going to no dub.

The Football Ramble is an amazing, hilarious look at European soccer from the past week. Four guys who love the game enthusiastically discussing results, news, and speculation. Funny user emails and inside jokes aplenty keep me coming back.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1361124) wrote:So I checked out The Gearheart, and it's really cool. Only listened to part of the first chapter (fell asleep whilst listening), but I already dig it a lot.

Oh, trust me, it REALLY gets better. Although it can be a bit slow at times, it is overall, maybe, one of the best serialized stories I've "read". Just pay attention at some of the stories. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Goodness. I subscribe to about 20 podcasts. From various investment shows to computers and security, to humor. If anyone is interested in a specific genre, I'd be happy to let them know which ones.
Mithrandir

Postby blkmage » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Most of mine are gaming podcasts. I would like a good math/computer science but I don't know if it exists. The only anime one I ever liked was Anime Nano by jpmeyer, Hinano, and Hung Troung, but that's pretty old and died a while ago.

The ones that are currently populating my iTunes list:
Downloadable Content, the Penny Arcade podcast (comedy gold, very infrequently updated)
Gamers With Jobs (intelligent discussion about video games)
Idle Thumbs (also intelligent and hilarious video game discussions, recently died)
Out of the Game (game journalists talk about things that aren't games)
The Rissington Podcast (two British web designers talk about crap, died a while ago)
Spacing Radio (urban issues, Toronto-centric)
Webcomics Weekly (not updated anymore)
Active Time Babble (1up's RPG podcast)
Retronauts (1up's podcast for old people)
blkmage

Postby That Dude » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:13 pm

I don't suscribe to any podcasts currently, but when I did I listened mainly to
66/40 with Chuck Missler.
One of the most interesting bible teachers currently alive in my opinion, and though I don't always agree with him, (I line up more with Sproul and MacArthurs theology), Missler is one of the few bible teachers who can synthesis science and scripture. He was literally a rocket scientist so it's always interesting to hear how he'll tie in physics and whatnot into the faith and show how the bible supports all of it.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to Jam Session