Old school rock/metal bands?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Old school rock/metal bands?

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm getting kind of sick of the power metal bands I've got and kind of looking for more old school type classical heavy metal... I've found I really enjoy stuff like Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Helloween, Judas Priest and rock/metal bands like Lordi... and then some more Progressive metal stuff. I used to be big on power metal but I'm getting bored of the epic sounds and melodies and like it a little more aggressive now...

So some anyone got suggestions? I really like The Iron Maiden and Queensryche sound right now. So stuff that sounds a bit old school like that would be nice. Christian or non-Christian, doesn't matter provided they have no evil/satanic vibes or blantant anti-God/Christian lyrics
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby FnlFntsyYuna » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Well I don't know of Iron Maiden or Queensryche but I like some old Christian Rock bands like White Heart and Petra. I think you will like them, but they stop making music for a while now. I still like to listen to there old stuff and I'm not that much into rock music. Hope I was of help!^_^
FnlFntsyYuna

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:13 pm

Don't recall any specifically satanist vibes in Molly Hatchet or in King Crimson. You familiar with either of those?
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby The Liar XIII » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:39 am

You should probably check out the band Dokken. ;)

Here's one of their best songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXTZZF-nrnc
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 am

my faves:
Def Leppard
AC/DC
Kiss
Poison
Led Zeppelin (the gods of rock!)
Heart
Jimi Hendrix
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby familygibbs » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Hmmm. I'm not a huge heavy metal fan. I prefer symphonic metal or melodic metal, but I guess you're kinda bored of that. My favorite symphonic metal Christian bands are HB from Finland, Theocracy, Harmony, and Mehida. You might still like some of their songs.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.

C.S. Lewis

Salvation is from our side a choice, from the divine side it is a seizing upon, an apprehending, a conquest by the Most High God. Our "accepting" and "willing" are reactions rather than actions. The right of determination must always remain with God.

A.W. Tozer

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

Westminster Confession
familygibbs

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions people :D Dokken was exactly what I was looking for. I liked a few of the others but most of them are just pure rock and not enough metal but still good.

familygibbs (post: 1340186) wrote:Hmmm. I'm not a huge heavy metal fan. I prefer symphonic metal or melodic metal, but I guess you're kinda bored of that. My favorite symphonic metal Christian bands are HB from Finland, Theocracy, Harmony, and Mehida. You might still like some of their songs.

Ya symphonic metal is boring but I do love melodic heavy metal. I actually have Theocracy and a few Harmony albums though :D (I wouldn't call either symphonic metal though). Harmony is good but I love Theocracy. I still need to get their (his) first album cause Mirror of Souls was great. I do not like HB though, lol. If they just played and didn't sing, it would be ok. But their writing is horrible :P Never heard of Mehida so I'll check them out. You should check out a band called "Dark Water". I think it's the same singer as the guy from Harmony, can't remember. But they're a pretty good melodic/progressive Christian metal band. They only have one album out as far as I know though; Calling the Earth to Witness.
Scarecrow

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:28 am

Well it's not letting me edit my post... but here is the dark water music video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTIRkcHyQ8

And I did check out that last band and I like em a lot too but at the moment not exactly what I was looking for (they aren't symphonic either :P They're pretty progressive/melodic as well)
Scarecrow

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:56 pm

I've heard a couple of good ones. Stryper, Petra, Guardian, (those are ones that I know of) and some that I know of but haven't really listened to all their songs are Holy Soldier, Narnia, Seventh Avenue. I'll post more when I find em'.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:29 am

Well, when you said 'Old School', I wasn't sure how 'Old School' to get!

Just as a matter of random curiousity and idle conversation, what were your impressions of some of the names people have handed you? It's cool to see how other people relate to bands you've heard (for me, describes about 50 percent of the bands people suggested).

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:30 am

Well I liked Moly Hatchet actually but it wasn't quite aggressive enough with the guitars and stuff. And it had this whole... I dunno how to describe it... southern sound? Like almost blues influenced rock. Good but couldn't really blast that loud and have fun with it in the car.

King Crimson... just so not my style at all :P They reminded me of Modest Mouse. Not that they sound the same but that they both have that indie funky kind of rock thing going on.

Dokken... awesome! Don't know how I never heard of them before. Very 80's. Breaking the Chains, Dream Warrior, Into the Fire.... awesome stuff. And they're albums are insanely cheep on amazon so I bought like 4 of them :P Excellent relaxing stuff to play in the car.

KISS, Poison, Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Alice Cooper etc... I'm already pretty familiar with those. I have KISS' greatest hits CD and that's about the only one I need from them :D (Not a huge KISS fan) Alice Cooper I really like a lot though and I just got his "Along Came a Spider" and "Dirty Diamond" albums the other day. That song, Run Down the Devil has been on repeat a lot :D Love Alice's dark humor. Poison is awesome though as well. Never cared for Led Zeppelin (sacrilege, I know).

WASP wasn't mentioned but I found them searching one of the suggestions given on youtube (I think I was searching Stryper?)... and WOW! I love their stuff!!! The only thing is they're quite vulgar at times, more than I generally prefer (although I guess compared to most stuff today, they aren't that bad but a lot worse than anything else in my collection), but musically and vocally, these guys are fricken awesome!! Wild Child, Love Machine... excellent!! Not to mention they did a wicked cover of Rolling Stone's Paint it Black (one of my favorite Rolling Stone songs). I think I'll be picking up a few more of their albums for sure. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Also found some old Pantera stuff. I do not like Pantera really but they had some decent stuff in the 80's I never knew they did!! And I hear the band pretends their 80's albums don't exist?!? What a shame. I think Pantera's "chuga chuga" music sucks... but they were actually good once :D

Checked out Stryper. I liked them lot too. To Hell with the Devil is awesome. How I missed this band before I do not know. Heard of them before, yes but never checked them out. Excellent Christian hard rock!!! Again, very 80's :D Awesome. Barren Cross was another one I found I liked a lot!! Wow.. I did not know there were that many good 80's Christian rock/metal acts. Very Iron Maidenish. Holy Soldier sounds good too... Then I found Messiah Prophet last night... another good 80's Christian metal act.
Scarecrow

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 am

King Crimson I threw in there as really old school stuff. Like Alice Cooper, they're one of those "this is one of those groups whose stuff led to" for the Metal genre.

Molly Hatchet is actually one of the first groups that I remember being called "Heavy Metal" (although a lot of the groups that eventually went into that category existed before or at the same time, like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, or KISS.) I suppose I could have been just clueless at the time (At the time, I was more into the bizarre mix of punk rock, classical, and country myself.) (But not played at the same time!) but several of my friends were heavily into all of the above. I was a big fan of some of their other favorites, that I don't think of as true metal (like Rush or Styx).

EricTheFred

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Have you ever heard of Saxon? They're one of the British metal bands that influenced Metallica.

I absolutely love their song Crusader.
Yamamaya

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:22 pm

'Nuf said.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:20 pm

How dare you! Led Zeppelin are Gods! I will strike you down!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby The Liar XIII » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:31 pm

I forgot about WASP until you mentioned them!
Check out their song "Inside the Electric Circus".. My favourite song by them.

Why not check out Quiet Riot?
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby ich1990 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1340821) wrote: Checked out Stryper. I liked them lot too. To Hell with the Devil is awesome. How I missed this band before I do not know. Heard of them before, yes but never checked them out. Excellent Christian hard rock!!! Again, very 80's :D Awesome. Barren Cross was another one I found I liked a lot!! Wow.. I did not know there were that many good 80's Christian rock/metal acts. Very Iron Maidenish. Holy Soldier sounds good too... Then I found Messiah Prophet last night... another good 80's Christian metal act.

If you are open to newer (1992) Christian metal then you should probably check out Bride's cd Snakes in the Playground.

"Psychedelic Super Jesus"
"Rattlesnake"
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Return to Jam Session